PDA

View Full Version : How far they fall and where they land

Jacie
1/26/2011, 10:02 AM
First there was Frannie, Dennis Franchione, leading TCU to a 10-1 record. He bailed on them before a bowl game to take the coveted job at Alabama. After two seasons he jumped ship again, ahead of NCAA sanctions for Texas A&M, where he was unable to finish higher than third in the Big XII (five losses to OU but he did beat sa*et twice!). He was released after the 2007 season, interviewed but was not hired for a number of vacancies until this month. He is the new head coach at Texas State.

Then came Mike Price. While at Washington State he was a National Coach of the Year and made a Rose Bowl appearance (one all Sooners remember), which he parlayed into a hire to lead the Crimson Tide then . . . fired before his team played a down (I don't see going to a strip club is any big deal but I guess they are a little more sensitive down in Mobile). He landed at (and is still coaching) UTEP (took his 6-6 team to a bowl this year).

Dan Hawkins put Boise, Idaho on the map, with a respectable 53 wins in five years run that got him the job at Colorado. As bad as the puffs were under the Hawk, it is hard to believe they went to a bowl game under Dan (as a 6-6 qualifier) in his second year. It was downhill from there, however, and he is currently living on the buyout of his contract.

Rich Rodriguez, took West Virginia to two BCS bowls (winning both though he only coached the first one) and was one upset loss to Pitt from playing for the National Championship. He left WVU before the Fiesta Bowl to take the Michigan job where led them to lows never experienced in Ann Arbor and was let go after three seasons. He is credited with developing the no huddle offense, the run-version of the spread offense and the zone read out of the shotgun (that made ponyboy famous). He hasn't landed yet . . .

And the book is still out on Rick Neuheisel, at UCLA. He was promoted to his first head coaching job at Colorado after Bill McCartney retired. He was an instant wonderboy going 10-2 in the first two seasons. He left CU after four years and a major NCAA infraction that left the puffs reeling with two years probation and loss of scholarships. But Rick landed at Washingtion, went 11-1 his second year there, won a Rose Bowl. Except he was fired after four years of what was a tumultuous time with several incidents from gambling to letting the program run out of control. Ultimately, he was paid a lot of money after suing the school and the NCAA. The weasel was hired by another Pac 10 school, UCLA. Despite being a great recruiter, he has yet to see success on the field (though I give him kudos for beating the whorns last year) and he is on the spot this year to win or else. If he loses this job, it will be long fall for Neuheisel, I suspect.

The point of this little history lesson, the coaching landscape is littered with stories of phenomenal coaches who took a team from obscurity to greatness, only to see a career unravel when their reach exceeded their grasp (Tyrone Willingham is another member of the club). Some fell because of things that happened off the field, others couldn't make it on a bigger stage. Success is not guaranteed no matter how good a resume a coach brings to the table. What might have happened to Bob Stoops had he jumped ship after 2000? Or Chris Petersen after 2007? Or Gary Patterson? These are examples of coaches who elected to stand pat and continue to build on success rather than market it to the highest bidder. They each may in time be accorded legend status at their respective schools. It's a sure bet Fran, Mike, the Hawk, Rich Rod and the weasel never will.

achiro
1/26/2011, 11:38 AM
This is dumb. For every story like the ones listed there are as many, or more, that ended successful. One that went from Utah to winning two NC's recently comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 11:48 AM
And the book is still out on Rick Neuheisel, at UCLA. He was promoted to his first head coaching job at Colorado after Bill McCartney retired. He was an instant wonderboy going 10-2 in the first two seasons.

Didn't CU win the national title the year before he started?

OUTrumpet
1/26/2011, 11:56 AM
Then came Mike Price. While at Washington State he was a National Coach of the Year and made a Rose Bowl appearance (one all Sooners remember), which he parlayed into a hire to lead the Crimson Tide then . . . fired before his team played a down (I don't see going to a strip club is any big deal but I guess they are a little more sensitive down in Mobile). He landed at (and is still coaching) UTEP (took his 6-6 team to a bowl this year).

I thought the big problem with Mike Price was that he used the school's athletic department credit card to pay for the strip club deal? Not that he went, but he used the football program's general budget to pay for it and they didn't want someone so careless with money.

Seamus
1/26/2011, 12:20 PM
Didn't CU win the national title the year before he started?

They won it in 1990 (AP).

He became head coach in 1995.

agoo758
1/26/2011, 12:31 PM
There is no question that you are, without a doubt taking a risk when you change jobs. You go from an environment where you are loved and respected and everyone around is dedicated, to an environment where you have no idea how everyone around you is going to behave. Dan Hawkins failure at Colorado is probably not so much his coaching as it is the lazy hippie culture around Colorado with little dedication to the task hand.

SmellsofBourbon is another example. Built up Miami, went to the USFL, back to Oklahoma, and then fell far down to Florida Atlantic.

Sooner_Tuf
1/26/2011, 12:39 PM
I thought the big problem with Mike Price was that he used the school's athletic department credit card to pay for the strip club deal? Not that he went, but he used the football program's general budget to pay for it and they didn't want someone so careless with money.

I think that was the biggest part of it. He spent quite a bit more than the average patron also suggesting that he did more than look.

agoo758
1/26/2011, 12:46 PM

I think they were more concerned with theft in that situation than they were careless.

SoonerDood
1/26/2011, 12:47 PM
I would give Nutt and Koetter more credit for "building" Boise than I would Hawk. Neu-weasel has proven he can always win with somebody else's players.

Widescreen
1/26/2011, 12:57 PM

That was likely a huge component of it. I also think he probably violated some kind of "personal conduct" clause in his contract where he wasn't supposed to bring bad press to Bama because of his actions.

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 01:08 PM
They won it in 1990 (AP).

He became head coach in 1995.

ISC.

CU, however, did finish 11-1 in 1994. Is a 10-2 record in 1995 so outstanding? (Not aimed at you, btw)

unbiasedtruth
1/26/2011, 01:16 PM
couple of things about CU... Rick the weasel got CU put on 2 years probation, and his successor Gary "slush fund" Barnett did the same. Also under Barnett was a player's (female kicker) claims of rape but she never named names, rather choose to settle in Civil court to the tune of 2 or 3 million. Now it comes out that 2 CU football players (puff fans call them former) allegedly committed rape during this past season.

also if I remember correctly back in the early 90's football players were talking about going to Boulder to play it was also mentioned they hope to "
f*** coach Mac's daughter as she couldn't keep her legs together around football players. I know she had one kid by a football player, their QB that died of stomach cancer, and I think there was another. This played a big part in coach mac stepping down when CU was cruising at the top of the CFB world, moreso than his whole "promise keeper" excuse for quitting

Prodigal
1/26/2011, 01:58 PM
couple of things about CU... Rick the weasel got CU put on 2 years probation, and his successor Gary "slush fund" Barnett did the same. Also under Barnett was a player's (female kicker) claims of rape but she never named names, rather choose to settle in Civil court to the tune of 2 or 3 million. Now it comes out that 2 CU football players (puff fans call them former) allegedly committed rape during this past season.

also if I remember correctly back in the early 90's football players were talking about going to Boulder to play it was also mentioned they hope to "
f*** coach Mac's daughter as she couldn't keep her legs together around football players. I know she had one kid by a football player, their QB that died of stomach cancer, and I think there was another. This played a big part in coach mac stepping down when CU was cruising at the top of the CFB world, moreso than his whole "promise keeper" excuse for quitting

I believe he observed one of his players over time and came to know Christ through that relationship. That is what eventually led to Promise Keepers, which lasted a long time and touched the lives of many men and families. I'm sure winning football games wasn't as big a deal to him after the process he went through, but who knows.

unbiasedtruth
1/26/2011, 02:38 PM
you must be talking about Rae Carruth (add a bit, no a whole lot of sarcasm to that comment)

ya right.... promise keepers was such a big deal and important to him, his family, his life and others that he quit that too.....

NMSooner'80
1/26/2011, 02:57 PM

She had at least two kids by former players. One was Sal Aunese's son, who played at LSU this past season. The other was fathered by Shannon Clavelle, who was at least a few years younger than Aunese was.

One thing that really angered me about those days was that CU had a bunch of players (I think the number got into the 20's) who committed similar crimes to what Bernard Hall and Co. were doing, but somehow it wasn't as big a deal in Colorado how their own players acted compared to ours. It should never have been excused, whether it happened in Norman or wherever. And their fans during CU's "rise to power" were about as obnoxious as LSU's.