PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Twelve Iowa football players in hospital

LASooner
1/26/2011, 03:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6058427

Twelve Iowa football players are recovering after being taken to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Monday evening with a kidney condition, the Cedar Rapids Gazette reported on its website Tuesday.

The Gazette said the Iowa players have Rhabdomyolysis, which is a breakdown of muscle fibers that releases myoglobin into the bloodstream. This can affect the kidneys and be can be caused by excessive exercise.

This corresponds with a posting on the Facebook page of Iowa linebacker Jim Poggi, who wrote he was hospitalized after his urine turned brown.

The school released a clarification Tuesday night saying the players admitted were all participating in NCAA allowable winter workouts and that the symptoms for which the players were being treated were likely related to those workouts.

The school released a statement earlier Tuesday saying the players had been hospitalized, but were recovering.

"The student-athletes were admitted throughout the course of Monday evening," a University of Iowa staff physician said in a statement. "All of the individuals are responding well to treatment as of Tuesday morning. All are in safe and stable condition."

The school would not confirm the identities of the players or their individual medical conditions, but the staff physician and a football team physician confirmed Tuesday the players were responding well to treatment.

"Coach Kirk Ferentz is out of town recruiting, but he is aware of the situation and is being kept abreast of the progress being made," Gary Barta, Iowa's director of athletics, said in the school-released statement. "Our No. 1 concern is the safety of our student-athletes, so we are pleased with the positive feedback. Our next step is to find out what happened so we can avoid this happening in the future."

The school says it's not clear when the players will be discharged. A school spokesman, Steve Roe, says privacy laws prevent further comment.

Iowa offensive lineman Julian Vandervelde, who recently graduated from the program and was a member of the team's leadership group, defended Iowa's workout practices in an interview with The Associated Press.

"They are nothing if not concerned for the health of the players," Vandervelde said. "That's always the first priority, health and development. I mean workouts are never used to punish. It's always about improvement, and workouts are always well within the capabilities of the athletes asked to perform them."

Tuesday's announcement that a dozen players had been hospitalized was just the latest bad news to hit the program that just wrapped a disappointing 8-5 season.

Senior wide receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos was suspended for the Hawkeyes' Insight Bowl win over Missouri after an arrest on drug charges. Johnson-Koulianos pleaded guilty to marijuana possession while other drug charges against him were dismissed.

Running back Adam Robinson was dismissed from the team after being arrested for possession of marijuana in his hometown of Des Moines while on suspension for violating team rules.

Information from ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg and The Associated Press was used in this report.

This seem fishy at all to anyone else? Twelve players all start pissing brown and the claim is that they're exercising too hard? Not the more likely scenario that these 12 players were taking something that caused this to happen.

Sooner_Tuf
1/26/2011, 04:08 AM
I saw that earlier today. Didn't this same thing happen to another team earlier this year?

Breadburner
1/26/2011, 04:22 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 04:25 AM
I mean workouts are never used to punish.

How many times have we heard fans say "Make 'em run the stairs until they puke"?

Breadburner
1/26/2011, 05:33 AM
How many times have we heard fans say "Make 'em run the stairs until they puke"?

Not as many times as people have said "You're a dumb-****"....

gaylordfan1
1/26/2011, 09:20 AM
I work in the ICU and see this quite often. It's seen in young adults mostly after major trauma (car wreck) or after being incapacitated for some time usually days and not moving...ie being passed out after a overdose or something. Basically all the waste produced after muscle breaks down clogs up the kidneys. Its usually treated with a lot of IV saline in order to flush out the kidneys of all the waste. Its not a good sign if they had to get dialysis... which isn't always permanent, but definitely could be. Most of the time with young people giving them a lot of fluid usually does the trick.

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 11:29 AM
Not as many times as people have said "You're a dumb-****"....

Someone is all pissied this morning.

oudavid1
1/26/2011, 12:06 PM
i for one know what its like to run til you puke.

I once ran so much i couldnt get up. Than i barley made it home.

Safe to say i didnt learn my lesson. But the coach who was in charge of discipline i loved and respected, i did it for him. And i wouldnt change anything about it.

As if said about anything football related, if you cant handle it(anything within rules) than dont play.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/26/2011, 12:08 PM
Runnin' til ya puke is part of the game where I come from... :D

tfoolry
1/26/2011, 12:09 PM
Sounds like the Hawks are taking the off season seriously. Better watch out for them in Big 10.

StoopTroup
1/26/2011, 12:15 PM
What a bunch of pussies. :D ;)

oudavid1
1/26/2011, 12:20 PM

Amen Brotha

Sooner_Bob
1/26/2011, 12:30 PM
After all . . . running til you puke is good for morale.

Right?

RIGHT!?

LASooner
1/26/2011, 02:02 PM
I'm just saying I went through Football in high school, basic training in the Army, Air Assault School, and Ranger induction, and not once did I ever pee brown over it. These are not leisurely pursuits either.

Seems weird for it to afflict 12 guys on the same day.

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 02:12 PM
Per the NCAA:

Violent Hazing: Behaviors that have the potential to cause physical and/or emotional harm (e.g., beating, branding, excessive exercise, forced alcohol consumption, etc

This is probably why the Iowa coach pointed out that the players were not being punished.

And it raises the question of whether excessive exercise as punishment is as widely practiced as everyone believes. Not sure.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/74b5a8804e0db159a9fdf91ad6fc8b25/hazinghandbook0108.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=74b5a8804e0db159a9fdf91ad6fc8b25

Lawton4Life
1/26/2011, 02:14 PM
Maybe everyone visited that drug house that WR had...

OUmillenium
1/26/2011, 02:24 PM
Roids?

cantwait48
1/26/2011, 02:27 PM
Seems weird for it to afflict 12 guys on the same day."

that is what I was thinking, either this was one heck of a workout or could some sort of substance be involved?

sooner59
1/26/2011, 03:43 PM
I had Rhabdo a few years back. I went with some friends and tried to hike the Grand Canyon in late July. Not a good idea. Once I was 12 miles in and basically almost to the bottom of the canyon, my body broke down. Every muscle in my body tried to cramp up. Even my fingers were cramped. I was incapacitated due to the fact that any time I moved, I cramped. No way for me to carry by 70-80 lb pack. Thought I was gonna die, but forced myself to make it another hour to a waterfall where a helicopter picked me up.

I was taken to Flagstaff Hospital and diagnosed with Rhabdomyolysis. They pumped me full of as much fluids as possible, and said I had acute kidney failure due to the muscle breakdown clogging everything up. I had to stay 5 days in the hospital until my CK levels went down. Normal values are usually between 60 and 400 IU/L. Mine was over 50,000. :eek: Doctor said my levels were similar to someone who got struck by lightning.

These dudes must have been working themselves to death if they did this to themselves, especially since they are already D1 athletes. I'm shocked actually. That episode made my BP skyrocket, and I am now on BP meds because of it. Hopefully these guys didn't screw their future health up over an off-season workout. Not worth it.

sooner59
1/26/2011, 03:46 PM
Seems weird for it to afflict 12 guys on the same day."

that is what I was thinking, either this was one heck of a workout or could some sort of substance be involved?

Makes you wonder...

With them surely already being in decent shape, this seems even more suspicious.

47straight
1/26/2011, 03:53 PM
Wikipedia says that there are cases where people ate fish and got it from that. Is it possible they all ate something bad at the dorm?

Shakadoodoo
1/26/2011, 04:07 PM

Running until you puke happened to us as wrestlers at OU, often. But it was mostly because of the amount of alcohol we drank the night before.

sooner59
1/26/2011, 04:30 PM
Wikipedia says that there are cases where people ate fish and got it from that. Is it possible they all ate something bad at the dorm?

Yes, actually. Its called Haff Disease. Sometimes occurs with salmon from freshwater, although more common with buffalo fish and crawfish. But apparently its pretty rare.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566906

LostCreekSooner
1/26/2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, actually. Its called Haff Disease. Sometimes occurs with salmon from freshwater, although more common with buffalo fish and crawfish. But apparently its pretty rare.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566906

Seems more likely that they were on anti-psychotics after last season's performance.

olevetonahill
1/26/2011, 05:03 PM
I'm just saying I went through Football in high school, basic training in the Army, Air Assault School, and Ranger induction, and not once did I ever pee brown over it. These are not leisurely pursuits either.

Seems weird for it to afflict 12 guys on the same day.

:cool:

tfoolry
1/26/2011, 05:23 PM
[no nekkid pics!]

bent rider
1/26/2011, 07:04 PM
Here's a pretty complete summary of what is known about this so far. If what they say is true that these workouts have been done before, I wonder what tweak in the regimen or additional supplements, virus, or whatever put them over the edge this time.

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/01/26/doctor-hospitalized-iowa-football-players-likely-have-rhabdomyolysis/

I'm sure a lot of football programs are listening carefully as this is iron pumping season.

MinnesotaSooner
1/26/2011, 07:28 PM
I had an Iowa grad tell me they were doing 100 squats at 240 lbs. as fast as possible. One thing to do the squats, but 100 as fast as possible? Yuk.

Soonerfan88
1/26/2011, 08:37 PM
I've heard that it is also caused by creatine use. :confused:

cantwait48
1/26/2011, 08:42 PM
"100 squats at 240 lbs. as fast as possible."

I did this the other day with 220 lbs after eating some bad mexican food

sooner59
1/26/2011, 08:54 PM
I've heard that it is also caused by creatine use. :confused:

Possibly affecting CK levels? I'm not a dr yet so I don't know.

gaylordfan1
1/26/2011, 09:10 PM
I have heard creatine has caused kidney problems before, but is very rare. But not Rhabdo. Its the Rhabdo that caused the kidney problems.

bent rider
1/26/2011, 09:33 PM
I have heard creatine has caused kidney problems before, but is very rare. But not Rhabdo. Its the Rhabdo that caused the kidney problems.

But could something like Creatine, another supplement in their system, too little water or some bacteria from their food, add to the kidney stress? One or other alone they wouldn't notice, but the combo is lethal?

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 10:14 PM

My senior year I puked three times in the first day of practice (bball). Once the flood gates open it's pretty much impossible to stop. The last time I didn't make it off the court...

I was seriously worried that the new coach would think I wasn't cut out for it...

As for excercise for punishment, I suppose it has a role but from my experience I think it's best that players understand that a tough physical fitness program is for their own good and something to be proud of. If you use it too much for punishment I think you're sending a mixed message. I say this more for younger kids. By college age their old enough to have perspective on it.

Leroy Lizard
1/27/2011, 03:22 AM
I'm sure a lot of lawyers are listening carefully as this is iron pumping season.

FIFY

brainpimp
1/27/2011, 10:23 AM
There is something else to this story. The stink just hasn't led us to it yet.

tfoolry
1/27/2011, 12:05 PM
I think the 12 Iowa guys had a wild night with this & brown urine may just be the early stages of something much more serious.
http://tubegator.com/content/uploads/pig_woman.jpg