PDA

View Full Version : State of Union Speech

AlboSooner
1/25/2011, 09:19 PM
Regardless of party creed, I'm thankful we live in a country where exchange of power is done peacefully, and where both parties can find avenues to work together. Look at the turmoil around the world, and see how blessed we are to have the constitution we have, and how blessed we are to live in America.

A Sooner in Texas
1/25/2011, 09:21 PM
Oh, now you've gone and done it.

:pop:

sooner ngintunr
1/25/2011, 09:25 PM
State of the union;

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/applause.gif

SoonerBorn68
1/25/2011, 09:27 PM
When we kick that' dude's *** out into space, we'll have our Sputnik moment.

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 09:31 PM
He's already dumped on the oil companies. No surprise there.

Cut their tax breaks and watch the price of gas go up up up. The oil companies have no problem passing those gov't mandated increases on at the pump.

sooner ngintunr
1/25/2011, 09:33 PM
boehner needs some more time on the golf course. hes looking a little pale.

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 09:34 PM
Maybe he and Obama can hook up for a round. Obama's swing needs some pointers.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/25/2011, 09:37 PM
boehner needs some more time on the golf course. hes looking a little pale.

He's dying to get out of there for a cigarette smoke.

Sooner5030
1/25/2011, 09:38 PM
he's pimping college pretty hard. That's all we need is more 23 year olds with music degrees from Columbia and $100k in student loan debt.

I think college tuition is the only thing that has kept pace with the increases in healthcare expenses.

VeeJay
Uh oh. Here we go - high speed rail. Get out your wallets.

Blue
So far i don't disagree.

swardboy
1/25/2011, 09:40 PM
Less clapping and shorter applaud times.....I think the seating arrangement backfired on the dems.

lexsooner
He makes a good point. Why don't we have better rail systems between big cities? Darn good idea. Instead we have millions of cars with one person in each.

Blue
"without the patdown"- laughs. Yeah right.

VeeJay
That's all we need. Muggers and flashers plying their trade at 220 MPH.

SoonerBorn68
1/25/2011, 09:42 PM
:les:MORE GUBMENT!

Sooner5030
1/25/2011, 09:42 PM
He makes a good point. Why don't we have better rail systems between big cities?

We have a very good rail system. It's built for hauling freight though. Not sure that passenger rail traffic is even feasible given the western part of the US.

sappstuf
1/25/2011, 09:44 PM
He makes a good point. Why don't we have better rail systems between big cities? Darn good idea. Instead we have millions of cars with one person in each.

It has something to do with population density.

Japan and Europe have it. We don't.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/25/2011, 09:45 PM
Glad he's actually contemplating signing a trade agreement with Colombia.

SoonerBorn68
1/25/2011, 09:45 PM
Lower corporate tax rates? Heh, he knows he's a one term prez. Desperation...

sooner ngintunr
1/25/2011, 09:46 PM

I swear I saw him hitting the flask. NTTAWWT.

A Sooner in Texas
1/25/2011, 09:47 PM
We have a very good rail system. It's built for hauling freight though. Not sure that passenger rail traffic is even feasible given the western part of the US.

It can be done, and already is, if you count Amtrak as rail service.

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 09:48 PM
Lower corporate tax rates? Heh, he knows he's a one term prez. Desperation...

He hasn't mentioned that over the last two years (remember Joe the Plumber?)

Why now, mister president?

A Sooner in Texas
Someone needs to tell Boehner that pink and orange clash. Though I have to admire a guy who's comfortable wearing a hot pink tie.

VeeJay
Freeze spending for the next five years.

Heh!

Now. ladies and germs.....for my next joke....

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 09:50 PM
WTF Teleprompter malfunction!

sappstuf
Freeze pending for the next five years.

Heh!

Now. ladies and germs.....for my next joke....

Remember when he called for a three year spending freeze last year??

Good times...

Blue
400 billion over 5 years? Nice. that will almost come close to 1/80th of the debt. Unless we decide to give a couple hundred billion to European banks again.

Sooner5030
1/25/2011, 09:51 PM
It can be done, and already is, if you count Amtrak as rail service.

dude are you serious.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2009-10-27-amtrak-passenger-subsidies_N.htm.

WASHINGTON — U.S. taxpayers spent about $32 subsidizing the cost of the typical Amtrak passenger in 2008, about four times the rail operator's estimate, according to a private study.

Amtrak operates a nationwide rail network, serving more than 500 destinations in 46 states. Forty-one of Amtrak's 44 routes lost money in 2008, said the study by Subsidyscope, an arm of the Pew Charitable Trusts.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6146

Since 1972 Amtrak has received more than $13 billion of federal subsidies. Twenty-five years later, Amtrak appears no closer to financial independence than the day taxpayer assistance began. Worse, Amtrak has no apparent plan to become self-sufficient. In fact, it is now pressing for a half-cent of the federal gasoline tax in order to have a permanent umbilical cord to the federal treasury.

sooner ngintunr
1/25/2011, 09:52 PM
dude are you serious.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2009-10-27-amtrak-passenger-subsidies_N.htm.

I guess they should charge more.

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 09:53 PM
"Simplify the tax code."

Jesus H. Christ. Every president since Eisenhower has been calling for that, no?

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 09:54 PM
Ba dum pssh!

Sooner5030
1/25/2011, 09:55 PM
more unicorn promises.

does the herd/mob really believe in more bennies and services and at the same time bringing down the deficit?

lexsooner
1/25/2011, 09:56 PM
McCain stood up and clapped. He's alive!!!!

SoonerBorn68
1/25/2011, 09:57 PM
I swear I'm listening to a moderate Republican tonight. He knows his *** is in a crack.

Don't believe a word he says. Call it track record.

Blue
1/25/2011, 10:00 PM
9/11- Drink

Al Queda- Drink.

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 10:01 PM
...and what about that promise to close Gitmo, Bro?

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 10:04 PM
Hell, I think Eric Holder was robbed of his opportunity to parade KSM around Manhattan, do some photo ops with him out at the Statue of Liberty and at Ground Zero, maybe grab a couple of Shaved Italian Ice at Times Square, do an interview on MSNBC, then begrudginly drag him into a courtroom after a few nights at the Waldorf Astoria.

sappstuf
1/25/2011, 10:06 PM
...and what about that promise to close Gitmo, Bro?

Do you mean the #1 recruiting tool of Al-Qaeda according to Obama??

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2011, 10:07 PM
Once again, I'm struck by the irony of President Obama when he praises the decision of the people of southern Sudan to split off and form a new nation.

I guess that self-rule applies to everyone including the Southern Sudanese just not Southern Americans. Hypocrites.

delhalew
1/25/2011, 10:09 PM
It's 9:08 and he finally said something worth hearing.

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 10:10 PM
Once again, I'm struck by the irony of President Obama when he praises the decision of the people of southern Sudan to split off and form a new nation.

I guess that self-rule applies to everyone including the Southern Sudanese just not Southern Americans. Hypocrites.

Surely we can throw some tax dollars to that. Or somewhere in that general vicinity.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2011, 10:12 PM
Surely we can throw some tax dollars to that. Or somewhere in that general vicinity.

We probably already have. I wouldn't be surprised if we financed the entire election for them either directly or indirectly.

salth2o
1/25/2011, 10:14 PM

Good night?

I ain't watching that SOB!

Blue
1/25/2011, 10:14 PM
If we are all about human rights and freedom (Iraq and Afganny) then we should be in Sudan by a long shot over the Middle east.

sooner59
1/25/2011, 10:16 PM
Heh, the CBS commentator just compared him to Reagan.

VeeJay
1/25/2011, 10:17 PM
What's one of those autographed programs worth on the open market?

He's a rock star and loving every minute of it.

REDREX
1/25/2011, 10:20 PM
Overall----WEAK

Blue
1/25/2011, 10:20 PM
Good to see Gabbys arm is doing well...

AlboSooner
1/25/2011, 10:22 PM
All of these are normal things. Some will like the speech and some will not. The cable news mob will analyze, over analyze, and shape some minds. In the end (Bob Stoops voice), it will come down to results in the next couple years. If the unemployment goes down, it will be good for our country.

Just like when Bush was the Pres: not everything that goes wrong should be blamed on the pres, and not everything that goes right is because of the president.

delhalew
1/25/2011, 10:22 PM
I would imagine that Ryan has chops to tear that piece of crap apart.

sooner59
1/25/2011, 10:27 PM
All of these are normal things. Some will like the speech and some will not. The cable news mob will analyze, over analyze, and shape some minds. In the end (Bob Stoops voice), it will come down to results in the next couple years. If the unemployment goes down, it will be good for our country.

Just like when Bush was the Pres: not everything that goes wrong should be blamed on the pres, and not everything that goes right is because of the president.

So you're saying that POTUS is like the Head Coach of Team America? :D

Sooner5030
1/25/2011, 10:28 PM

Another consideration is that some of us are principle-based rather than effects-based voters. I could give two shiats what snappy scheme can falsely prop up GDP next year. But….does that scheme adversely impact my life, liberty or pursuit of happiness?

Blue
1/25/2011, 10:35 PM
Whats up with this guys bloodshot eyes? Lol.

Saying all the right things. We'll believe it when we see it.

bigfatjerk
1/25/2011, 10:36 PM
Whats up with this guys bloodshot eyes? Lol.

Saying all the right things. We'll believe it when we see it.
Paul Ryan is pretty good. I hope he runs in 2012 he would beat Obama.

MR2-Sooner86
1/25/2011, 10:55 PM
"Simplify the tax code."

Jesus H. Christ. Every president since Eisenhower has been calling for that, no?

If they really wanted to do that we'd have the Fair Tax but that's too much power to give up.

400 billion over 5 years? Nice. that will almost come close to 1/80th of the debt. Unless we decide to give a couple hundred billion to European banks again.

If I remember correctly the Department of Education and DEA's funding added up each year is around 500 billion. In five years that'd be 2.5 trillion in savings. That's just the start too. That makes too much sense though.

Ctina
1/25/2011, 10:55 PM
Is Rep Paul Ryan high? His eyes are completely red.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2011, 10:56 PM
Bachmann did a fantastic job. The only downside was her dark eyeshadow that made her look like a demon from the inner-depths of hell.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/25/2011, 10:57 PM

:D

unbiasedtruth
1/25/2011, 10:59 PM
Is Rep Paul Ryan high? His eyes are completely red.

he is working on the trade agreement with columbia.....:D

OUthunder
1/25/2011, 11:08 PM
Remember when he called for a three year spending freeze last year??

Good times...

I think he meant spending spree. That ****er doesn't know how to save a buck.

A Sooner in Texas
1/26/2011, 12:05 AM
dude are you serious.

Do me a couple of favors, please:

Turn on your sarcasm meter.

Don't call me dude. Cause I'm neither a dude nor Jeff Bridges.

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2011, 12:08 AM
Do me a couple of favors, please:

Turn on your sarcasm meter.

Don't call me dude. Cause I'm neither a dude nor Jeff Bridges.

I bet you wish you were Jeff Bridges though.

SoonerNate
1/26/2011, 12:10 AM

Obama or Boehner?

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2011, 12:12 AM
Coburn got a big bear hug from Obama and Obama teased him about recently shaving his beard. He told him, "I see you shaved the beard -- you were looking a little scruffy!"

For those of you who don't know, Coburn and Obama genuinely like each other and are friends.

sooner59
1/26/2011, 12:14 AM
I'm glad people from different parties can at least be cordial.

The Profit
1/26/2011, 12:25 AM
Bachmann did a fantastic job. The only downside was her dark eyeshadow that made her look like a demon from the inner-depths of hell.

She is a Demon from the inner depths (you don't need the hyphen) of hell. In fact, I'm not so sure she isn't a damned Baptist.

Ike
1/26/2011, 12:37 AM

Considering that I didnt see what Bachmann said, I only have this to go on...

And, since I know that a) SicEm is a bit crazy in the head. B) Michelle Bachman is a bit crazy in the head. I'm not sure whether this means that the crazy was about normal, or that the Bachmanns crazy and SicEms crazy constructively interfered with each other and it turned out doubly crazy.

sooner59
1/26/2011, 12:39 AM
She did look like a piece of plastic covered in too much make-up.

SoonerNate
1/26/2011, 12:45 AM
Coburn got a big bear hug from Obama and Obama teased him about recently shaving his beard. He told him, "I see you shaved the beard -- you were looking a little scruffy!"

For those of you who don't know, Coburn and Obama genuinely like each other and are friends.

I think they co-authored a transparency resolution back when Obama was in the Senate.

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2011, 12:56 AM
I think they co-authored a transparency resolution back when Obama was in the Senate.

They did. In fact, Obama mentioned it in his speech tonight when he talked about a database that taxpayers can search to see where Federal money is being spent.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/26/2011, 02:27 AM
Selected comments from CATO institute blog regarding the speech:

Andrew Coulson: So why not encourage innovation in education, Mr. president, by encouraging states to adopt free market education policies?

Sallie James: Good for Obama for pointing out that technology is transforming the way we live, work and do business. Shuttered factories are far more likely to be from a change in technology, or consumers' changing tastes, than from "jobs being shipped overseas."

Sallie James: "...to compete for the jobs and industries of our time. we need to out-innovate, out-educate and out-build the rest of the world". This competitiveness theme is misguided, and dangerous. Even Paul Krugman understood that (see: "Pop Internationalism", 1997, not his op-ed today!)

Andrew Coulson: Public school employment has grown 10 times faster than enrollment for decades!

Andrew Coulson: Neither the word education nor the word school appear anywhere in the Constitution

Jim Harper: President Obama appears quite prepared to go along with the national ID program lying dormant in "E-Verify." When he says "enforce our laws" on immigration, he's talking about giving the federal government the last word on every new hire in the country. Republicans are with the program, too. Can we have more options, please?

Sallie James: I'm really pleased Obama is at least mentioning the importance of comprehensive immigration reform, after (sadly) largely ignoring it for his first two years in office.

Andrew Coulson: Did he say "pick projects" or "pick pockets"? I wasn't sure...

Andrew Coulson: Uh... the market has been disseminating wifi faster than almost any other technology in history all by itself. We need government to get involved why?

Michael F. Cannon: Is he talking about taxpayer dollars that the government gives to oil companies? Or is he talking about the money that the government doesn't collect from oil companies due to tax breaks? There ain't no such thing as a 'tax expenditure,' Mr. President

Michael F. Cannon: The goal of a more-competitive America would be best served if POTUS reorganized federal agencies -- buildings, personnel, etc. -- by returning them to the private sector.

Sallie James: When was the last time you were subject to a pat-down, Mr President? Until you've been "felt up for freedom", keep your jokes to yourself.

Ben Friedman: Instead joking about pat-downs at airports, how about telling TSA to stop?

Ben Friedman: The troop reduction will be cosmetic.

Dan Mitchell: Don't freeze bureaucrat pay. Slash it, as well as reduce the number of bureaucrats. They get total compensation twice as high as people in the productive sector of the economy

Jim Harper: @eitan If the president doesn't veto an earmarked bill, he hands Republicans an issue in November 2012.

Ben Friedman: So why not endorse defense spending cuts? Defense spending has grown by almost 50% adjusting for inflation since 2001, not including the wars.

Dan Mitchell: Mulling over the speech, I'm having a hard time figuring out how we solve the problem of "falling behind" by making America more like Europe's welfare states? If we've fallen behind, they tripped 10 miles back

Dan Mitchell: The President is sticking his head in the sand on Social Security, ignoring the recommendations of his own commission. The real answer is personal accounts

Ben Friedman: Boehner now wants a cigarette.

Jim Harper: In closing, let me just say that you don't have to show ID when you fly, and you can decline to be subjected to the "strip-search" machines. (Both refusals will lead to alternative procedures until we get air security privatized.) Study ahead, be polite, don't do anything rash, but DO assert your rights when you travel.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/26/2011, 03:12 AM
Did anyone else catch the part where he didn't deny he was born in Kenya!!!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/26/2011, 08:38 AM
Did anyone else catch the part where he didn't deny he was born in Kenya!!!

It was so long ago, I doubt he remembers.

OUmillenium
1/26/2011, 09:22 AM
YOU LIE!

Bourbon St Sooner
1/26/2011, 09:47 AM
The President wants to create jobs....that are dependant on the gov't for their existance.

He points out a factory in Michigan that was put back in service with gov't subsidies. Meanwhile, on the Gulf Coast, businesses that don't need gov't subsidies are going under and people put out of work because his bureaucrats won't issue drilling permits.

Excuse me while I go put "yesterday's energy" in my car.

A Sooner in Texas
1/26/2011, 09:49 AM
I bet you wish you were Jeff Bridges though.

No, I like my gender and my life, thanks.

okie52
1/26/2011, 09:55 AM
The President wants to create jobs....that are dependant on the gov't for their existance.

He points out a factory in Michigan that was put back in service with gov't subsidies. Meanwhile, on the Gulf Coast, businesses that don't need gov't subsidies are going under and people put out of work because his bureaucrats won't issue drilling permits.

Excuse me while I go put "yesterday's energy" in my car.

You don't have a wind turbine on top of your car? Surely you at least have covered it with solar panels.

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:03 AM
Now, I strongly believe that we should take on, once and for all, the issue of illegal immigration. And I am prepared to work with Republicans and Democrats to protect our borders, enforce our laws and address the millions of undocumented workers who are now living in the shadows. (Applause.) I know that debate will be difficult. I know it will take time. But tonight, let’s agree to make that effort. And let’s stop expelling talented, responsible young people who could be staffing our research labs or starting a new business, who could be further enriching this nation.

Expelling? He11, we are giving them in-state tuition and student loans.

Millions of "undocumented workers" who are now living in the shadows. :eek:

Yep, he can't seal the borders or expel millions of illegals because he doesn't have the authority to do so.....:O

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 10:13 AM
You don't have a wind turbine on top of your car? Surely you at least have covered it with solar panels.

But, but, but...we are going to get 80% of electricity from renewable sources in 25 years...right....

Just like he was going to double renewable in 3 years (currently up 33% in 2 years, better get to humping to meet that goal)

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 10:15 AM

Expelling? He11, we are giving them in-state tuition and student loans.

Millions of "undocumented workers" who are now living in the shadows. :eek:

Yep, he can't seal the borders or expel millions of illegals because he doesn't have the authority to do so.....:O

Why should we expel undocumented, illegals...we have plenty of jobs to take care of those that are currently unemployed...

Obama could be the dumbest smart guy in the universe....

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:17 AM
Some folks want wind and solar. Others want nuclear, clean coal and natural gas. To meet this goal, we will need them all -- and I urge Democrats and Republicans to work together to make it happen.

Now how does he think we get natural gas?

Clean coal....
:rolleyes:

How's that blue ribbon panel coming along on nuclear waste? You know, the one Obama created right after he closed Yucca?

How many billions is the government going to be out for not having a nuclear waste repository?

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:20 AM
Why should we expel undocumented, illegals...we have plenty of jobs to take care of those that are currently unemployed...

Obama could be the dumbest smart guy in the universe....

Millions of clean energy jobs are right around the corner....

sappstuf
1/26/2011, 10:22 AM
Now how does he think we get natural gas?

Clean coal....
:rolleyes:

How's that blue ribbon panel coming along on nuclear waste? You know, the one Obama created right after he closed Yucca?

How many billions is the government going to be out for not having a nuclear waste repository?

Probably about as good as the "Deficit Commission" that Obama started. You know the one that Obama said it would not be "one of those Washington gimmicks." It came out and said tough action needed to be taken now.

How many tough choices has Obama said he would support?

Zero.

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 10:27 AM
Probably about as good as the "Deficit Commission" that Obama started. You know the one that Obama said it would not be "one of those Washington gimmicks." It came out and said tough action needed to be taken now.

Zero.

I believe he has ignored all of the deficit commissions recommendations....

sappstuf
1/26/2011, 10:31 AM

Nah.. He just voted "present" on them. :O

Bourbon St Sooner
1/26/2011, 10:31 AM
I'll put windmills on my car when the gov't gives me money for it. That's the only way any of these alternative energy sources compete. Wind is the most expensive way to generate electricity and it's not even close.

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:35 AM

Zero.

He's still pizzed about those top 2% income earners getting a tax break, but he is fine with the other 98% and the 3 trillion debt it will cause.

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:36 AM

Hey Phil, you've been good at keeping track of this subject...how's Obama doing on his wind and solar projections?

SoonerNate
1/26/2011, 10:37 AM
What I love is this fascination over the electric car. How do the libtards think we get electricity? Answer: Coal.

So I guess global warming isn't as bad suddenly when you're in bed with that industry.

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:38 AM
I'll put windmills on my car when the gov't gives me money for it. That's the only way any of these alternative energy sources compete. Wind is the most expensive way to generate electricity and it's not even close.

Back in 2008, TBoone said NG needed to be at $9 an MCF for wind energy to be competitive. Well.........

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:39 AM
What I love is this fascination over the electric car. How do the libtards think we get electricity? Answer: Coal.

So I guess global warming isn't as bad suddenly when you're in bed with that industry.

Obama and Biden were going to destroy the coal industry until they realized they were blue states. Now.....CLEAN COAL!!!!!

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:42 AM

You could make a case for nukes here but, again, 1 nuclear reactor (hopefully) in the next 10 years won't quite get us there. China and India, however, will have built up to 50 in that time if they continue at their current pace.

Ike
1/26/2011, 10:43 AM

Even though electric cars get their energy from coal, the significant increase in efficiency means that you are still putting less greenhouse gasses in the air than you would with a car powered by an IC engine.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/26/2011, 10:44 AM
Back in 2008, TBoone said NG needed to be at $9 an MCF for wind energy to be competitive. Well.........

That's assuming the gov't put in all of the transmission lines which is what he wanted.

okie52
1/26/2011, 10:47 AM
That's assuming the gov't put in all of the transmission lines which is what he wanted.

It was also when Pelosi thought that NG was a good transitional fuel to get us off of fossil fuels.

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 11:09 AM

Electricity is also derived largely from natural gas. And as more power plants switch over to NG instead of super expensive "clean coal" whatever the F that is, we'll all benefit.

Electric cars aren't completely ridiculous based on the current trend toward natural gas for domestic power generation. I'd rather have a CGV though.

okie52
1/26/2011, 11:14 AM
Electricity is also derived largely from natural gas. And as more power plants switch over to NG instead of super expensive "clean coal" whatever the F that is, we'll all benefit.

Electric cars aren't completely ridiculous based on the current trend toward natural gas for domestic power generation. I'd rather have a CGV though.

Over 50% of our electricity comes from coal although NG has been gaining.
NG is around 20% as are nukes.

Edit: oops, I overstated it. Coal around 44%

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/okie54/2008_US_electricity_generation_by_source_v2.png

Caboose
1/26/2011, 11:16 AM
Uh oh. Here we go - high speed rail. Get out your wallets.

High speed rail - using tax payer money to buy votes from unions. What a scam. Hope and Change, guys. Hope and Change.

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 11:20 AM
Obama talks about how we need to win the innovation war. With globalization in full swing and manafacturing capacity almost lost in the U.S., is there any doubt that jobs from future industries will be moved overseas almost as fast as they're created?

NormanPride
1/26/2011, 12:20 PM
Why is natural gas better than oil? It's another non-renewable resource, right?

DIB
1/26/2011, 12:24 PM

It burns cleaner and it is a huge boost to Oklahoma's economy.

okie52
1/26/2011, 12:25 PM

It is plentiful in the US and is considerably cleaner environmentally than oil or coal.

You still have to drill for it, though.

2121Sooner
1/26/2011, 12:30 PM
I love this place.

Reading this thread is like watching the intellectuals from CNN and FOX debate about the speech.

Carry on......didnt mean to interrupt the energy debate either

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 12:31 PM
It burns cleaner, it's domestic, and we have enough to last a long, long time.

NormanPride
can we completely support ourselves on it? Does it produce enough energy to run our vehicles, etc? Are the drilling techniques safe and low impact on the surrounding areas? How long before it runs out?

OklahomaTuba
Yeah, but who cares if it actually works and is economically viable.

Its not like all this green energy that we have now, with all those green energy jobs we've spent trillions trying to create.

Oh wait..

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 12:32 PM
(and it's cheaper, and it can run about anything: electricity plant or a vehicle or etc etc)

OklahomaTuba
1/26/2011, 12:33 PM
can we completely support ourselves on it? Does it produce enough energy to run our vehicles, etc? Are the drilling techniques safe and low impact on the surrounding areas? How long before it runs out?I bet there is more NG in the ground than lithium.

Oh wait, Lithium isn't a renewable resource??? oops.

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 12:34 PM
can we completely support ourselves on it? Does it produce enough energy to run our vehicles, etc? Are the drilling techniques safe and low impact on the surrounding areas? How long before it runs out?

Probably not completely and certainly not compeltely in the short-term. We need a conversion to it, which will take time. We're starting though. More and more Compressed Natural Gas stations are opening up frequently around the state. But it would be a big deal. Corporate fleet vehicles are being converted daily.

It does produce enough energy for vehicles.

Drilling techniques are very safe, and the impact on the surrounding community is relatively minimal. (A surface pad might only be a few acres, and they can drill 3+ wells from one pad.)

100 years or more.

OklahomaTuba
1/26/2011, 12:36 PM
If NG became the primary transporation fuel, this state's wealth would look a lot different in a very short amount of time.

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 12:39 PM
Will someone quote Tuba so I can see what he's saying?

DIB
1/26/2011, 12:41 PM
Will someone quote Tuba so I can see what he's saying?

OUMallen should go fist himself/herself.

You're welcome.

OklahomaTuba
1/26/2011, 12:46 PM
Will someone quote Tuba so I can see what he's saying?Were the words too hard to understand??

OUMallen
You're welcome.

THAT JERK :mad:

Flagstaffsooner
The whole speech was...
http://thesamerowdycrowd.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/horse-poop-sign.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/26/2011, 12:50 PM
I love this place.

Reading this thread is like watching the intellectuals from CNN and FOX debate about the speech.

Carry on......didnt mean to interrupt the energy debate eitherit's fascinating, ain't it?

2121Sooner
1/26/2011, 12:53 PM
I always laugh because there are always people on both sides that come at it the same way. If you dont agree with them you are either "socialist or right wing nut", depending on your party. Or you are intellectually inferior to them for not seeing that they are right.

Neither side is going to persuade the other side to see it from their light.

Discuss.....Argue.....name call......repeat.

It is just entertaining.

3rdgensooner
1/26/2011, 12:57 PM
I always laugh because there are always people on both sides that come at it the same way. If you dont agree with them you are either "socialist or right wing nut", depending on your party. Or you are intellectually inferior to them for not seeing that they are right.

Neither side is going to persuade the other side to see it from their light.

Discuss.....Argue.....name call......repeat.

It is just entertaining.Shut it moran.

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 12:58 PM
Some things are clear though. For instance, when comparing the implementation of domestic natural gas in lieu of foreign oil, when possible, there's no really good argument on the side of foreign oil.

2121Sooner
1/26/2011, 12:58 PM
Shut it moran.

Eat me you socialist robot. beep boop beep!!!!

2121Sooner
1/26/2011, 12:59 PM
Shut it moran.

Erin?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_u2TK-ZQ1LpY/TLG691ZEXbI/AAAAAAAAAW4/i24iKdDc9lk/s1600/Erin+Moran+Happy+Days+Credit.jpg

NormanPride
1/26/2011, 01:04 PM
****, this sounds like a no-brainer. Why hasn't Chesapeake ramped up its lobbyists to take over those ****ty oil barons?

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 01:09 PM
They have, in one way. They're mired in heavy, heavy PR battle in NY and PA right now.

Basically, as funny as it sounds, the public consciousness just hasn't been exposed enough to how great NG is. The bridge fuel to get us from oil to whatever is next is right below our feet. It's cheap. We have tons of it, so much in fact that we're in a glut and production has stalled.

We here in Oklahoma are aware though. We're building CNG stations around town and the state for our vehicles. Corporations in different states know, as they are moving fleet vehicles over to CNG. It's just sort of a quiet movement, and according to jackwagon east coasters, things don't EXIST until they figure it out. Once they do figure it out, they'll think they were the first to figure it out.

NormanPride
1/26/2011, 01:14 PM
Just tell some hollywood stars that it makes them look young. Get them to make a movie about it.

sooner ngintunr
1/26/2011, 01:17 PM

Darn, I missed it. The new Tosh.0 came on @9:00. Good stuff.

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 01:23 PM
Just tell some hollywood stars that it makes them look young. Get them to make a movie about it.

Actually, dreamy dipsheet Mark Ruffalo has come down against hydraulic fracutring (which means no natural gas from shale, where our enormous reserves are).

Kinda like Jenny McCarthy against vaccines. :rolleyes:

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 01:29 PM
Hey Phil, you've been good at keeping track of this subject...how's Obama doing on his wind and solar projections?

After two years he is 33% of the way there...one more year and 67% and he will get his double...

Bourbon St Sooner
1/26/2011, 01:33 PM

They did. It's called "Gasland". Look it up. Another bull****e documentary about how hydraulic fracturing is killing little bunnies in PA.

SilliSooner
1/26/2011, 01:38 PM
Heh, the CBS commentator just compared him to Reagan.

I knew Obama's doing bad, but NO WAY he's that bad.

OUMallen
1/26/2011, 01:42 PM
They did. It's called "Gasland". Look it up. Another bull****e documentary about how hydraulic fracturing is killing little bunnies in PA.

They didn't even use any stars! Just a no-name taking advantage of the newscycle momentum. It's ridiculous.

GasLand is nothing but a hit piece.

http://www.energyindepth.org/2010/06/debunking-gasland/

http://www.commonwealthfoundation.org/policyblog/detail/gasland-debunked

okie52
1/26/2011, 01:46 PM
After two years he is 33% of the way there...one more year and 67% and he will get his double...

Not exactly what he promised....what a surprise.

SilliSooner
1/26/2011, 02:13 PM

I'm sure had Obama been president in the 1860s he would have had sympathy for the Southern plantation owner and let the South go their merry way.

However, back then, we were stuck with a damn Republican.

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 02:56 PM

How about you stick to what you know, like spamming the board. Obama couldn't carry Reagan's depends on his very best day.

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 02:57 PM
I bet there is more NG in the ground than lithium.

Oh wait, Lithium isn't a renewable resource??? oops.

You do realize that lithium is not the energy source, right?

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 03:03 PM
You do realize that lithium is not the energy source, right?

It is for the cars....the current technology batteries need lithium (lithium ion)...and lots of it...

bonkuba
1/26/2011, 03:07 PM

Comparing Obama to Reagan is like comparing a rock to a Top Fuel Dragster......no comparison.....although, maybe some lefty might like the rock since it doesn't use any fuel.:D

Actually, I feel terrible for having Reagan's name in the same sentence as Obama.

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 03:08 PM
It is for the cars....the current technology batteries need lithium (lithium ion)...and lots of it...

No, it is not the energy source. You don't replace the lithium every time the battery loses its charge. You recharge it with electricity coming from coal, natural gas, petroleum, wind energy, solar energy, whatever.

While lithium might not be abundant and while that is a concern, Tuba's comment about "renewable energy" merely shows his lack of understanding of basic physics - which shouldn't surprise anyone.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 03:11 PM
The last SoTU I watched featured Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neil....I was like 10 years old

okie52
1/26/2011, 03:12 PM
No, it is not the energy source. You don't replace the lithium every time the battery loses its charge. You recharge it with electricity coming from coal, natural gas, petroleum, wind energy, solar energy, whatever.

Guess what the life expectancy are for those batteries? 10 years, tops. So you will have to replace them with a finite source.

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 03:25 PM

While lithium might not be abundant and while that is a concern, Tuba's comment about "renewable energy" merely shows his lack of understanding of basic physics - which shouldn't surprise anyone.

When the vehicle is on the road the energy source for the motor is the lithium battery...the lithium battery gets it's charge from primarily coal plants...

I seriously doubt that Tuba thinks electricity comes from lithium...

I believe his point was that we will be trading one "evil" (crude) for a second "evil" (lithium)...

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 03:25 PM
Guess what the life expectancy are for those batteries? 10 years, tops. So you will have to replace them with a finite source.

I said in my previous post (an edit that you didn't get in your quote) that that is a concern. However, it doesn't change the fact that Tuba's comment was off-base. He compared lithium availability to natural gas availability. Obviously anyone with elementary knowledge of the concept energy would know that this is a foolish comparison.

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 03:30 PM
When the vehicle is on the road the energy source for the motor is the lithium battery...the lithium battery gets it's charge from primarily coal plants...

I seriously doubt that Tuba thinks electricity comes from lithium...

I believe his point was that we will be trading one "evil" (crude) for a second "evil" (lithium)...

But it is not the primary energy source. It is simply the storage mechanism.

We mine natural gas because it is already in a high energy state at the time we mine it. Once that energy is used up the hydrogen and carbon are discarded. We don't mine lithium because we get a lot of energy from it. We mine it because it can be used to store energy. Surely you can see the difference?

Now, you can argue that natural gas is only the storage mechanism as well and that th energy source is heat and pressure within the Earth but for all practical purposes (and considering our timeframe) natural gas is an energy source and lithium is not.

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 03:44 PM

At the end of it's life cycle the battery will have half it original capacity...

Current electrics should be treated like a bridge fuel (like NG should be used)...

Ultimately (a couple of decades) fuel cells will be the best choice..

Obama wants a million electrics on the road by 2015...he is going to push and make that happen...

Let's see...

GM projects to sell 25k Volts this year and 120k next year...and another 100k going forward...445k at the end of 2015...

Nissan can make 50k Leafs a year until a new plant opens in Tenn in 2013...300k by the end of 2015...not counting the new plant...

So those two suppliers will manufacture 745k electrics by the end of 2015...

UC Berkley has a study from 2009 showing 500k being sold in 2015 alone...

http://cet.berkeley.edu/dl/CET_Technical%20Brief_EconomicModel2030_f.pdf

We should hit a million with one arm tied behind our backs...

He really stuck his neck out on this one...

okie52
1/26/2011, 03:50 PM
At the end of it's life cycle the battery will have half it original capacity...

Current electrics should be treated like a bridge fuel (like NG should be used)...

Ultimately (a couple of decades) fuel cells will be the best choice..

Obama wants a million electrics on the road by 2015...he is going to push and make that happen...

Let's see...

GM projects to sell 25k Volts this year and 120k next year...and another 100k going forward...445k at the end of 2015...

Nissan can make 50k Leafs a year until a new plant opens in Tenn in 2013...300k by the end of 2015...not counting the new plant...

So those two suppliers will manufacture 745k electrics by the end of 2015...

UC Berkley has a study from 2009 showing 500k being sold in 2015 alone...

http://cet.berkeley.edu/dl/CET_Technical%20Brief_EconomicModel2030_f.pdf

We should hit a million with one arm tied behind our backs...

He really stuck his neck out on this one...

So the US has about 250,000,000 cars right now. That number will probably go up in the next few years.

So electrics will constitute less than 1/2 of 1% of the US automobiles.

Change we can believe in.

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 03:56 PM
But it is not the primary energy source. It is simply the storage mechanism.

We mine natural gas because it is already in a high energy state at the time we mine it. Once that energy is used up the hydrogen and carbon are discarded. We don't mine lithium because we get a lot of energy from it. We mine it because it can be used to store energy. Surely you can see the difference?

Now, you can argue that natural gas is only the storage mechanism as well and that th energy source is heat and pressure within the Earth but for all practical purposes (and considering our timeframe) natural gas is an energy source and lithium is not.

His point was that evil lithium is equal to evil crude or evil coal...not that electricity is generated by lithium...got it?

Nearly half of the worlds lithium reserves are in Bolivia...we have some small reserves in Nevada (brine pools)...

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 05:29 PM
His point was that evil lithium is equal to evil crude or evil coal...not that electricity is generated by lithium...got it?

This is what he said:

I bet there is more NG in the ground than lithium.

When Tuba compares quantities of NG to quantities of lithium, I'll say his statement speaks for his ignorance.

I've agreed all along with your point about lithium being a limited resource. The only time I argued with you was when you stated that lithium is an energy source which by almost anyone's definition of an energy source it is not. Other than that my beef has been with the absurd statement from Tuba that I quoted above.

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 05:30 PM
This is what he said:

When Tuba compares quantities of NG to quantities of lithium, I'll say his statement speaks for his ignorance.

I've agreed all along with our point about lithium being a limited resource. The only time I argued with you was when you stated that lithium is an energy source which by almost anyone's definition of an energy source it is not. Other than that my beef has been with the absurd statement from Tuba that I quoted above.

I can buy that...thanks for being civil...

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 05:32 PM
This is what he said:

I've agreed all along with your point about lithium being a limited resource. The only time I argued with you was when you stated that lithium is an energy source which by almost anyone's definition of an energy source it is not. Other than that my beef has been with the absurd statement from Tuba that I quoted above.

Dude, how about you just stick to the facts and forget your man-crush on Tuba. You extremists drive me ****ing batty.

jkjsooner
1/26/2011, 05:32 PM
I can buy that...thanks for being civil...

You too.

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 05:33 PM
Oops. There goes the civility.

okie52
1/26/2011, 05:34 PM
We are the World, we are.....

pphilfran
1/26/2011, 05:35 PM
We are the World, we are.....

Screw ya Okie....:D

OklahomaTuba
1/26/2011, 05:36 PM

Nearly half of the worlds lithium reserves are in Bolivia...we have some small reserves in Nevada (brine pools)...Exactly my point. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

OklahomaTuba
1/26/2011, 05:39 PM
When Tuba compares quantities of NG to quantities of lithium, I'll say his statement speaks for his ignorance.Why? Either you need Lithium or you need a hydrocarbon. We have much more hydrocarbons than we have lithium.

The Profit
1/26/2011, 05:52 PM

So the US has about 250,000,000 cars right now. That number will probably go up in the next few years.

So electrics will constitute less than 1/2 of 1% of the US automobiles.

Change we can believe in.

At the beginning of the 20th century, there were people just like you, who thought horses would never be replaced by cars.

okie52
1/26/2011, 05:57 PM
At the beginning of the 20th century, there were people just like you, who thought horses would never be replaced by cars.

Did you ride your bike to work today?

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 05:59 PM

At the beginning of the 21st Century there were people like you who thought hope and change was something you could hang your hat on. Silly people.

JohnnyMack
1/26/2011, 06:01 PM
Eventually. Certainly not in my lifetime, but eventually, we will run out of fossil fuels.

JohnnyMack
1/26/2011, 06:02 PM

At the beginning of the 20th century, Dean walked uphill in the snow both ways to a one room school house.

okie52
1/26/2011, 06:04 PM
Eventually. Certainly not in my lifetime, but eventually, we will run out of fossil fuels.

That's a certainty unless we stop using fossil fuels, but it will probably be a few lifetimes before they run out.

But to hamstring our economy and energy independence by planning on non existent technologies goes beyond stupid.

R & D is fine. But there is also reality when you are planning the next 25 years.

okie52
1/26/2011, 06:25 PM
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/okie54/Obamanoseintheair.jpg

SilliSooner
1/26/2011, 06:53 PM
How about you stick to what you know, like spamming the board. Obama couldn't carry Reagan's depends on his very best day.

Thanks Dean, you made me laugh.

I'm putting a quota on my spams like Reagan put on Japanese autos.

Do you like economic talk?

Reagan looks good in a few economic areas because he followed up one of our worse economies. He started from a fantastically low base.

However...

He did increase our deficits from 900 Billion to 2.8 Trillion. All the while people were shouting "Happy Days."

Unemployment under Reagan was higher than it was under Carter. In 1982 and 1983 it was 9.7 and 9.6 % (higher than it currently is under Obama).

The stock market soared under Reagan (he started with a bad economy low base) at a rate 11.4% per year. Nine other presidents did better than Reagan.

You know who almost did 50% per year better than Reagan? Clinton at 16.6%.
You know who is doing twice as good as Clinton in stock market increases?
Obama.

While Reagan was in office worker productivity in every competitive country gained on us. France went from 61.8% of our productivity in the 70s to 80% of our productivity in 80s.

Fat cats did well but real wages declined sharply under Reagan.

But worst of all as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product our tax receipts
went down under Reagan (perhaps a good thing) but our Govt. spending went up. The worst year being 1985 where we took in 18.5% of GDP and spent 23.9 %. We spent 4 to 5% over on GDP average than take in.

Back then, instead of China buying our treasuries it was Saudi Arabia. We owed them big. It was one of the reasons Reagan gutted our domestic oil industry and encouraged big time imports.

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks Dean, you made me laugh.

I'm putting a quota on my spams like Reagan put on Japanese autos.

Do you like economic talk?

Reagan looks good in a few economic areas because he followed up one of our worse economies. He started from a fantastically low base.

However...

He did increase our deficits from 900 Billion to 2.8 Trillion. All the while people were shouting "Happy Days."

Unemployment under Reagan was higher than it was under Carter. In 1982 and 1983 it was 9.7 and 9.6 % (higher than it currently is under Obama).

The stock market soared under Reagan (he started with a bad economy low base) at a rate 11.4% per year. Nine other presidents did better than Reagan.

You know who almost did 50% per year better than Reagan? Clinton at 16.6%.
You know who is doing twice as good as Clinton in stock market increases?
Obama.

While Reagan was in office worker productivity in every competitive country gained on us. France went from 61.8% of our productivity in the 70s to 80% of our productivity in 80s.

Fat cats did well but real wages declined sharply under Reagan.

But worst of all as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product our tax receipts
went down under Reagan (perhaps a good thing) but our Govt. spending went up. The worst year being 1985 where we took in 18.5% of GDP and spent 23.9 %. We spent 4 to 5% over on GDP average than take in.

Back then, instead of China buying our treasuries it was Saudi Arabia. We owed them big. It was one of the reasons Reagan gutted our domestic oil industry and encouraged big time imports.

I was gonna type "ha ha ha" but instead it's "blah blah blah."

Fat cats? Seriuosly? WTF is a fat cat? I mean in your feeble mind? I know, a Repub. Meh.

soonerscuba
1/26/2011, 07:33 PM

Fat cats? Seriuosly? WTF is a fat cat? I mean in your feeble mind? I know, a Repub. Meh.Income disparity started it's major lurch with Reagan, I think one could make the argument that a service based economy in a global market is going to push money to the more skilled and educated, thus not intrinsically Reagan's "fault", but the revisionism surrounding the man is pretty entertaining. Good presidents are rarely ideologues, he was a pragmatist, saw that it was fiscally prudent to scale back his '81 tax cuts (some on here insist that is a Muslin plot to socialize-murder their Nana) and did so.

I'm not advocating reducing the income disparity through taxes and I'm not sure anything can be done to stop it, but typically the more concentrated the wealth gets, the uglier things get in a hurry.

OUHOMER
1/26/2011, 07:52 PM
OK, i am not going to read thru all of this. he made a speech, big whoop.

my question is why did the Obama's not wear the ribbons?

XingTheRubicon
1/26/2011, 07:54 PM

No we won't.

Even the extreme peak oil kooks agree that we'll never completely run out of fossil fuels. It's not about running out; it's about 2 things that are almost as bad.

1. Not being able to extract 90 million bbls/day when we start using 95 mil, 100 mil, 110 mil/day and so on...what's referred to by some as "peak oil."

2. Something you start hearing more often pretty soon. EROEI. Energy returned on energy invested. All the easy, shallow wells have been tapped and drained and drained again. As these fields decline, more and more off-shore and 20 plus thousand feet projects will have to drilled to find commercial quantities of hydrocarbons. Eventually, it will price itself out of the market, just by sheer expense to extract it.

1000 years from now, we'll still have fossil fuels...if the earth is still here.

JohnnyMack
1/26/2011, 08:05 PM
No we won't.

Even the extreme peak oil kooks agree that we'll never completely run out of fossil fuels. It's not about running out; it's about 2 things that are almost as bad.

1. Not being able to extract 90 million bbls/day when we start using 95 mil, 100 mil, 110 mil/day and so on...what's referred to by some as "peak oil."

2. Something you start hearing more often pretty soon. EROEI. Energy returned on energy invested. All the easy, shallow wells have been tapped and drained and drained again. As these fields decline, more and more off-shore and 20 plus thousand feet projects will have to drilled to find commercial quantities of hydrocarbons. Eventually, it will price itself out of the market, just by sheer expense to extract it.

1000 years from now, we'll still have fossil fuels...if the earth is still here.

I think you know what I meant. But thanks for being your typical obnoxious self about it.

MR2-Sooner86
1/26/2011, 08:23 PM
From what I understand we have enough just in oil shale to last us at least another 200-300 years. The thing is it takes two barrels worth of energy to get out that one barrel's worth of oil shale.

We also have enough coal to last us around 200 years.

I predict when we start running low within the next 100 years to where production doesn't meet demand we'll have figured out some things.

Fussion reactors, I predict, will one day solve our energy needs. Once you have a source of cheap power that's easy to get out to the masses, you can start taking yourself off fossil fuels.

Unless of course we start converting to nuclear power right now but the Green Nazis won't have any of that.

SilliSooner
1/27/2011, 12:27 AM

Fat cats? Seriuosly? WTF is a fat cat? I mean in your feeble mind? I know, a Repub. Meh.

Those making over a million a year.
95 % of Republicans are not fat cats. A ton of dems also fall into the fat cat category.

XingTheRubicon
1/27/2011, 09:03 AM
I think you know what I meant. But thanks for being your typical obnoxious self about it.

A lot of things seem obnoxious when you're ignorant.

OUthunder
1/27/2011, 12:03 PM
My bet is on fossil fuels lasting longer than the planet.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/27/2011, 12:29 PM
My bet is on fossil fuels lasting longer than the planet.Is that your case for life elsewhere in the universe?

Sooner98
1/27/2011, 12:30 PM
OK, i am not going to read thru all of this. he made a speech, big whoop.

my question is why did the Obama's not wear the ribbons?

http://www.siyumhaseinfeld.com/images/chars/streettoughs.jpg

Who?!? Who doesn't want to wear zee ribbone??

sappstuf
1/27/2011, 12:57 PM
Do you hate Obama because it always feels like he is talking down to you? Maybe there is a reason..

'Professor' Obama? President's State of the Union Address Notches 4th Lowest Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level Score Since FDR

Text of Obama's Address has a readability score for an average 8th grader - two grades lower than George W. Bush's Addresses and the historical average for modern presidents

Barack Obama's ability as a public speaker since his 2008 presidential campaign has been alternately viewed, often depending on whether or not one is an Obama supporter, along various dyads: being inspirational versus being aloof, intellectualizing versus lecturing etc.

Along those lines, in her first month as a commentator for FOX News, Sarah Palin criticized Obama's first State of the Union Address on Wednesday night as "lecturing" the American public.

Unlike the criticisms hurled at his predecessor, however, few have ever charged that the President, a former senior lecturer in Constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School, has written or spoken too simplistically or catered his words to the lowest common denominator.

However, a Smart Politics analysis of nearly 70 oral State of the Union Addresses since the mid-1930s finds the text of Obama's speech on Wednesday evening to have one of the lowest scores on the Flesch-Kincaid readability test ever recorded by a U.S. President.

The Flesch-Kincaid test is designed to assess the readability level of written text, with a formula that translates the score to a U.S. grade level. Longer sentences and sentences utilizing words with more syllables produce higher scores. Shorter sentences and sentences incorporating more monosyllabic words yield lower scores.

Smart Politics ran the Flesch-Kincaid test on each of the last 68 State of the Union Addresses that were delivered orally by presidents before a Joint Session of Congress since Franklin Roosevelt. Excluded from analysis were five written addresses (Truman in 1946 and 1953, Eisenhower in 1961, Nixon in 1973, and Carter in 1981) and two addresses that were delivered orally, but not by the President himself (Roosevelt in 1945, Eisenhower in 1956). Prior to FDR, most, but not all, such Addresses were delivered in writing.

Obama's Flesch-Kincaid grade level score of 8.8 for his first State of the Union Address was the fourth lowest score since FDR's first Address in 1934.

What this means is that Obama wrote and delivered a speech that incorporated shorter sentences, with those sentences containing shorter words, than nearly every such Presidential Address in the modern era.

Across the more than 75 years of speeches under analysis, the average sentence in State of the Union Addresses is 20.6 words in length.

But the average length of sentences comprising Obama's 2010 address was just 16.6 words in length - or 19.4 percent shorter than average. This also marks the fourth lowest average words per sentence used in State of the Union Addresses during the period under study.

President Obama's comparative brevity in his sentence structure and his frequent use of monosyllabic words can be seen in the following excerpts from his Address:

"Again, we are tested. And again, we must answer history's call."

"Now, let me repeat: We cut taxes. We cut taxes for 95 percent of working families. We cut taxes for small businesses. We cut taxes for first-time homebuyers. We cut taxes for parents trying to care for their children. We cut taxes for 8 million Americans paying for college."

"We have finished a difficult year. We have come through a difficult decade. But a new year has come. A new decade stretches before us. We don't quit. I don't quit."

As such, the speech by 'the professor' stands in contrast to his predecessor, 'the cowboy,' George W. Bush, who was frequently skewered by the left and late-night talk show hosts for his public speaking abilities, his intelligence, and his misuse of the English language.

Bush averaged a Flesch-Kincaid score of 10.4 across his seven State of the Union Addresses - or nearly two full grades higher than Obama's speech. Bush's speeches also averaged 2.4 more words per sentence than Obama, at 19.0.

In other words, the text of George W. Bush's speeches are expected to be understandable (in written form) by an average sophomore in high school, whereas Obama's speech should be understandable by a junior high school student.

Interestingly, George W. Bush's 10.4 Flesch-Kincaid score was also higher than several of his predecessors, including Ronald Reagan (10.3), Bill Clinton (9.5), and his father George H.W. Bush (8.6).

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cspg/smartpolitics/2010/01/professor_obama_presidents_sta.php

jkjsooner
1/27/2011, 01:17 PM
Dude, how about you just stick to the facts and forget your man-crush on Tuba. You extremists drive me ****ing batty.

WTF are you talking about. Tuba said something stupid and I called him on it. That makes me an extremist?

jkjsooner
1/27/2011, 01:23 PM
Why? Either you need Lithium or you need a hydrocarbon. We have much more hydrocarbons than we have lithium.

Again, you show your ignorance. Hydrocarbons are used up once the energy source is depleted. Lithium is just a storage mechanism. Even with a limited useful life it can be charged hundreds or thousands of times. You can only use the hydrocarbons once.

Are you really this slow?

Nowhere have I argued against hydrocarbon use or that lithium limitations do not apply. My argument is against your stupid statement (comparing absolute quantities of the two as if that's a relevant comparison) that defies science and logic.

soonercruiser
1/28/2011, 12:00 AM
Oblivious!

http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Obama/Obama%20Big%20debt.jpg

SilliSooner
1/28/2011, 02:27 PM
Do you hate Obama because it always feels like he is talking down to you? Maybe there is a reason..

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cspg/smartpolitics/2010/01/professor_obama_presidents_sta.php

Interesting analysis. I was told one time by a California headliner that my comedy was written for the tenth grade which he went on say was a bad idea. "The writing should be at the 8th grade level." In other words, better understood by a larger portion of the audience.

So now Obama is monosyllabic and Sarah is polysyllabic? What a world! You betcha.

okie52
1/28/2011, 02:42 PM
Interesting analysis. I was told one time by a California headliner that my comedy was written for the tenth grade which he went on say was a bad idea. "The writing should be at the 8th grade level." In other words, better understood by a larger portion of the audience.

So now Obama is monosyllabic and Sarah is polysyllabic? What a world! You betcha.

JohnnyMack
1/28/2011, 02:46 PM
A lot of things seem obnoxious when you're ignorant.

At some point in the future, there won't be enough easily accessible fossil fuel in the ground to make it feasible to continue getting it out, you condescending prick.

sappstuf
1/28/2011, 02:47 PM

Every time you post that picture, I go outside and kick the stray cat that is hanging around. :mad:

okie52
1/28/2011, 02:52 PM
Every time you post that picture, I go outside and kick the stray cat that is hanging around. :mad:

bigfatjerk
1/28/2011, 03:56 PM

Did you see how unreliable early cars were? Took about 50 years to perfect and now we are doing a good job of adding mileage to cars. We don't have to get gas near as often as cars 100 years ago. Before cars and planes our main unit of mass transit was wood with both boats. And it was also a main thing to help make homes and for heat. We basically used wood as our main fuel like fossil fuels for thousands of years not 100 years. We've only basically used fossil fuels as our main fuel for 150 years maybe. And that's with trains and coal then cars.

Look I'm for green energy but I think it needs to be done through the market so the best and most effective forms of energy can survive. That's how we've gotten cars that have better and better gas mileage. You shouldn't make it more expensive to buy the best form of energy like Europe is doing with gas. It'll take a long time for us to come up with alternatives to oil. Just like it took a long time to come up with effective replacements for wood. But this should be done through the market. Not to go after the poor which is basically what any tax does on gas.

The Profit
1/28/2011, 04:24 PM
Did you see how unreliable early cars were? Took about 50 years to perfect and now we are doing a good job of adding mileage to cars. We don't have to get gas near as often as cars 100 years ago. Before cars and planes our main unit of mass transit was wood with both boats. And it was also a main thing to help make homes and for heat. We basically used wood as our main fuel like fossil fuels for thousands of years not 100 years. We've only basically used fossil fuels as our main fuel for 150 years maybe. And that's with trains and coal then cars.

Look I'm for green energy but I think it needs to be done through the market so the best and most effective forms of energy can survive. That's how we've gotten cars that have better and better gas mileage. You shouldn't make it more expensive to buy the best form of energy like Europe is doing with gas. It'll take a long time for us to come up with alternatives to oil. Just like it took a long time to come up with effective replacements for wood. But this should be done through the market. Not to go after the poor which is basically what any tax does on gas.

I really agree with you, but we must make certain that current industries do not use their lobbying effort to destroy future industries before they have the opportunity to get started. This has certainly been the case with the dirty stinking oil industry. This group of swine has done its dead level best to discourage the use of alternative fuels.

bigfatjerk
1/28/2011, 04:38 PM
I don't think there are many alternative fuels that are too profitable. Some things like the like the hybrid cars are profitable right now. But until we get some battery that can last forever or nuclear powered cars that are affordable and accessible, oil is just going to be cheaper. That's just the way it'll be. So why not make cars that are better at processing mileage, that are much cleaner than last generations, and keep improving on that. You can't just jump ahead and say that oil companies are hurting alternative fuels. They are doing so because we have more oil and it's cheaper.

Hybrid cars are basically only good for the cities right now. They really aren't worth it if you have to drive long distances. But 10 years ago hybrids basically didn't exist. Technology will solve the problems you want to solve. It may be a little slow for you but it'll happen eventually. A government shouldn't promote any form of the technology over another, it should be up the market to figure it out.

Taxing gas companies or subsidizing corn to make ethanol as a form of gas just doesn't work. As others have pointed out ethanol is dirtier than oil. Same with giving tax breaks to green energies to me that's wrong because we don't know if any of these current green energies will really be around in 10 years. It was also wrong IMO to basically shut down the nuclear program 30 years.

pphilfran
1/28/2011, 04:38 PM
I really agree with you, but we must make certain that current industries do not use their lobbying effort to destroy future industries before they have the opportunity to get started. This has certainly been the case with the dirty stinking oil industry. This group of swine has done its dead level best to discourage the use of alternative fuels.

How did the swine discourage the use of alternative fuels?

I would hope they discouraged the use of ethanol...

An oil company that is expert at finding reserves and then drilling miles into earth to tap those reserves does not necessarily have the expertise to develop and manufacture wind turbines or solar panels...

Any current alternative is a big money loser today...only after massive fed subsidies are alternatives capable of being competitive..and that fact is not going to change for a decade...

All of the oil companies have dipped a toe into the alternative waters...

Once they can make more money with alternatives you will see more private investment into alternatives and less in crude...

okie52
1/28/2011, 04:41 PM

Profit's car:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/okie54/sail_car.jpg

bigfatjerk
1/28/2011, 04:43 PM

An oil company that is expert at finding reserves and then drilling miles into earth to tap those reserves does not necessarily have the expertise to develop and manufacture wind turbines or solar panels...

Any current alternative is a big money loser today...only after massive fed subsidies are alternatives capable of being competitive..and that fact is not going to change for a decade...

Once they can make more money with alternatives you will see more private investment into alternatives and less in crude...

Boone Pickens tried to go into wind but then he quit after less than a year because he realized it wasn't worth it. Right now we just don't have the technology to make alternative fuels cheaper than oil. But right now isn't 10 years from now or 100 years from now. Took us a long time to quit chopping wood for our alternative fuels to it. We didn't lose all of our trees on this planet.

okie52
1/28/2011, 04:45 PM
Boone Pickens tried to go into wind but then he quit after less than a year because he realized it wasn't worth it. Right now we just don't have the technology to make alternative fuels cheaper than oil. But right now isn't 10 years from now or 100 years from now. Took us a long time to quit chopping wood for our alternative fuels to it. We didn't lose all of our trees on this planet.

TBoone said NG needed to be at $9 an MCF to make wind energy viable.

We are at about 1/2 that now.

SpankyNek
1/28/2011, 04:48 PM

CNG is already cheaper..There were CNG Ford Taurus' on the road 20 years ago...what's been keeping them down?

okie52
1/28/2011, 04:51 PM
CNG is already cheaper..There were CNG Ford Taurus' on the road 20 years ago...what's been keeping them down?

No fueling points is probably the biggest problem. Plus conversions run between $2-4,000. Now if they were done at the factory on new, moderately priced vehicles there should be little difference in cost vs a regular gasoline vehicle.

No real commitment from the government in this area.

okie52
1/28/2011, 04:59 PM

He knows the reality....and it just kills him.:D

pphilfran
1/28/2011, 05:03 PM
No fueling points is probably the biggest problem. Plus conversions run between $2-4,000. Now if they were done at the factory on new, moderately priced vehicles there should be little difference in cost vs a regular gasoline vehicle.

No real commitment from the government in this area.

Don't forget that NG is a carbon based fuel (contrary to what Pelosi believes). Even though it is better than crude in many aspects the greenies don't want a CO2 producing fuel...

okie52
1/28/2011, 05:06 PM
Don't forget that NG is a carbon based fuel (contrary to what Pelosi believes). Even though it is better than crude in many aspects the greenies don't want a CO2 producing fuel...

Even though it could show the quickest reduction in CO2 emissions (lower than Obama's easily obtainable target) it also would empower many oil companies with "PROFITS".

Can't have that.

okie52
1/28/2011, 05:09 PM

Some greenies are starting to come around on nukes however.

I guess they are prioritizing their poison.

The Profit
1/28/2011, 05:32 PM
Even though it could show the quickest reduction in CO2 emissions (lower than Obama's easily obtainable target) it also would empower many oil companies with "PROFITS".

Can't have that.

Then we should nationalize the oil companies. I am okay with that.

DIB
1/28/2011, 05:35 PM

Why?

sappstuf
1/28/2011, 05:42 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dNDcHtiKdf4/S7Em45h2xiI/AAAAAAAAGzk/CDNWaTBOi3k/s1600/Putin+angry.jpg

I approve this message.

okie52
1/28/2011, 06:34 PM

No need for that since Obama is going to get us off of oil or should I say...yesterday's energy.

okie52
1/28/2011, 06:39 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dNDcHtiKdf4/S7Em45h2xiI/AAAAAAAAGzk/CDNWaTBOi3k/s1600/Putin+angry.jpg

I approve this message.

Putin, Profit and Maxine Waters.

soonercruiser
1/28/2011, 11:37 PM

It just seems like that picture requires some background music like "Hernando", or something from the movie Evita.

soonercruiser
1/28/2011, 11:40 PM
Profit's car:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/okie54/sail_car.jpg

Needs a Crimson & Cream paint job!
Then, the sails won't look so out of place in Norman.
:P

soonercruiser
1/28/2011, 11:45 PM
No need for that since Obama is going to get us off of oil or should I say...yesterday's energy.

AND....we will have high-speed rail between our major cities.
And, when thousands of Americas start to use high-speed rail, Obama promises that we will not have to get a "pat down" for security....even if they are terrorist targets.
Duh! Obama is completly lost contact with reality!
(Even Palin wouldn't say that!)

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2011, 12:05 AM
High speed rail is a boondoggle.

bigfatjerk
1/29/2011, 12:25 AM
High speed rail is a boondoggle.

Yep we've talked about this before. It's basically a long ways from happening in the US.

SpankyNek
1/29/2011, 12:38 AM
Yep we've talked about this before. It's basically a long ways from happening in the US.

None of our current Billionaires wish to leave a legacy (except for money to be left for their heirs)

Where are you Andrew Carnegie and Cornelius Vanderbilt?

Curly Bill
1/29/2011, 12:56 AM

I could be wrong, but I think both these guys are dead. ;)

bigfatjerk
1/29/2011, 02:21 AM
None of our current Billionaires wish to leave a legacy (except for money to be left for their heirs)

The major population areas of Europe are all almost grouped together. The US is pretty spread out, and this would need to be a private sector thing to really get going. It just won't happen for a while in the US.

MR2-Sooner86
1/29/2011, 08:24 AM

They're smart enough not to fall for such a scam. Seriously, this high speed rail between Tampa Bay and Orlando is one of the biggest waste of money I've heard of in a while. Anybody who thinks this is a good idea has the critical thinking skills of a third grader. Seeing as how our government is behind it, doesn't surprise me.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/29/2011, 04:58 PM
The Future doesn't stand a chance!!