PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer Update...

bmjlr
1/25/2011, 05:55 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2011/01/25/trey-metoyer-update/

Trey Metoyer’s father, David, told me today that, as of now, his son, arguably nation’s No. 1 WR who has committed to Oklahoma, has not qualified, “but is well on his way to qualifying.”

Metoyer is working on bringing up his ACT score, which is the only holdup.

Metoyer, rated the No. 1 wideout by Scout.com, is one of the highest-rated players to commit to OU in the Bob Stoops era.

The last three years at Whitehouse (Texas) High, Metoyer was dominant, finishing his senior season with 108 catches, 1,540 receiving yards and 23 touchdowns while leading Whitehouse into the playoffs.

Assuming he does qualify, Metoyer will be a monster addition next season to an already dangerous OU passing offense, and could eventually compete for a starting role at WR alongside Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills

Posted by Jake Trotter on January 25, 2011M at 4:27 pm

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 05:58 PM
What kind of ACT score does he need?

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 06:02 PM
OU required 26 when I went. Pretty easy to get if you ask me, considering you can take it as many times as you want. Athletes probably can score a lot lower and still get in. Dude is probably one of those kids that was expected to do nothing his whole schooling career but play football. Probably pretty dumb...

47straight
1/25/2011, 06:06 PM
Dang it. Stud WR recruits never seem to work out for us.

OUbasketball4life
1/25/2011, 06:10 PM
I think student athletes just need an 18 to qualify

bmjlr
1/25/2011, 06:17 PM
26 is easy to get???....YIKES, I think I got an 18. Me so dumb :(

cccasooner2
1/25/2011, 06:23 PM
I don't do this often enough but I will pray that he gets the ACT score he needs. Amen

SGA
1/25/2011, 06:23 PM
Student athletes need a very meager score to get in. It will get fixed. Guaranteed.

pweitkem
1/25/2011, 06:27 PM
Siding scale based off GPA. D average and a combined score of 86 (21.5 avg over 4 categories) gets you on the team. 2.375 GPA and you only need to get an 18, 2.9 only requires a 13.5. You can make a design out of your answers and get a 13.5. And if you can't get out of highschool with a 2.9 should you really be going to college?

https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/hs/d1_standards.pdf

cccasooner2
1/25/2011, 06:35 PM
That sliding scale makes no sense. If you have a good GPA by fraud, a level of SAT/ACT of dunce just perpetuates the fraud? WHOOPEEE

bent rider
1/25/2011, 06:37 PM
So improve his ACT or convince his teachers to raise his grades, or pad his transcript with some of those easy-A correspondence courses. Which is easier?

Eielson
1/25/2011, 06:54 PM
What kind of ACT score does he need?

OU's requirements for the average student are higher, but I would expect that athletes (especially ones like Metoyer) only need to meet the minimum requirements set by the NCAA. DII is simple and requires a 17. DI has a "sliding scale," so it's a little more difficult to tell. I'd need to know his GPA to tell you what his ACT needs to be. I'm not 100% sure I'm reading this table right, but if I am...

If he has a 3.550 or higher GPA, he needs a 9.25 on his ACT (why even bother making them test :confused:).

If he has a 2.000 (minimum possible GPA to get in) he needs a 21.5 on his ACT.

There is a ridiculous detailed chart showing the whole scale. Those are just the high and low. Something like a 3.000 GPA would require a 13 (still embarrassingly easy).

I'd imagine that his problem is getting all his class requirements, though. You're required to have 16 courses: 4 from English, 3 from Math, 2 from Natural Science, 1 additional from English/Math/Science, 2 from Social Science, 4 additional classes from any of the previous/foreign language/religion/philosophy. That's really easy if you don't fail classes and plan for it starting in 9th grade. It can get overlooked in a player's first few years of high school though, and can become a problem in later years, especially if classes are failed.

Eielson
1/25/2011, 06:56 PM
Siding scale based off GPA. D average and a combined score of 86 (21.5 avg over 4 categories) gets you on the team. 2.375 GPA and you only need to get an 18, 2.9 only requires a 13.5. You can make a design out of your answers and get a 13.5. And if you can't get out of highschool with a 2.9 should you really be going to college?

https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/hs/d1_standards.pdf

A 2.0 is actually a C average.

Eielson
1/25/2011, 06:57 PM
That sliding scale makes no sense. If you have a good GPA by fraud, a level of SAT/ACT of dunce just perpetuates the fraud? WHOOPEEE

I don't think the NCAA is planning on people getting their GPA through fraud.

Eielson
1/25/2011, 07:00 PM
So improve his ACT or convince his teachers to raise his grades, or pad his transcript with some of those easy-A correspondence courses. Which is easier?

Probably the ACT improvement route. GPA for the first 7 semesters is already set. There's nothing teachers could do even if they wanted to. The easy-A classes would likely not count towards his 16 credits needed to get in. I'm guessing that he's just having to finish his 16 credits. I'm not sure what "well on his way" would mean otherwise. With the ACT, he's either in or out.

yermom
1/25/2011, 07:49 PM
maybe he's taking ACT classes?

oudavid1
1/25/2011, 08:20 PM
I got a 24, imagine if i studied!

sperry
1/25/2011, 08:27 PM
It's really hard to not qualify as an athlete. If he a) puts time and effort into it, and b) isn't mentally retarded, he'll qualify.

Soonerfan88
1/25/2011, 08:33 PM
I'm sure he has at least an English class this semester than may help raise his core GPA and taking the ACT study classes has helped many people. I know that not every 5* athlete knows what he can do as a HS freshman, but it is a shame that many don't care about their grades until it is almost too late.

MI Sooner
1/25/2011, 08:36 PM
OU required 26 when I went. Pretty easy to get if you ask me, considering you can take it as many times as you want. Athletes probably can score a lot lower and still get in. Dude is probably one of those kids that was expected to do nothing his whole schooling career but play football. Probably pretty dumb...

First of all, OU has never "required" a 26. I'm not even sure if the median has ever been 26. Secondly, you're an ***.

sooners123
1/25/2011, 08:44 PM
First of all, OU has never "required" a 26. I'm not even sure if the median has ever been 26. Secondly, you're an ***.

This.

OUEngr1990
1/25/2011, 08:46 PM
I don't think my 23 who have gotten me into OU these days. But I excuse myself because my high school was a joke. But I went to a juco for 2 years and had nearly a 4.00 so that got me into OU, no problem. That was so long ago (20+ years), and so many beers ago that I probably would barely be able to spell ACT if I took the test again.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 08:48 PM

You're wrong...who's the ***? I guess you are right about 1 thing, I only needed a 24 because I'm from OK. 26 is for those out of state, like Metoyer if he wasn't an athlete. Check your **** before you start running your mouth....;)

http://www.ou.edu/admissions/home/requirements/undergraduate/freshman_admission.html

Automatic Admission Criteria1
RESIDENT
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.00
(on a 4.00 scale)
and
Rank in the top 25%
of your high school
graduating class OR ACT score of at least 243
and
Unweighted cumulative grade point average of at least a 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale)2
OR
ACT score of at least 243
and
Rank in the top 50% of your high school graduating class2 OR SAT score of at least 10903
and
OR
SAT score of at least 10903
and
Rank in the top 50% of your high school graduating class2

NON-RESIDENT
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.50
(on a 4.00 scale)
and
Rank in the top 25%
of your high school graduating class OR ACT score of at least 263
and
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.00
(on a 4.00 scale)2
OR
ACT score of at least 263and
Rank in the top 50%
of your high school graduating class2 OR SAT score of at least 11703
and
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.00
(on a 4.00 scale)2
OR
SAT score of at least 11703
and
Rank in top 50%
of your high school graduating class2

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 08:49 PM
This.

Not this dumbass....follow link in previous post to feel stupid...

MI Sooner
1/25/2011, 09:06 PM

Keep digging.

First, those are requirements for automatic admission (and even then, only for out-of-state applicants). You can still get in if you don't meet the criteria for automatic admission. Secondly, a 3.50 and top 25% finish in your high school class will qualify for automatic admission regardless of ACT score.

You can also qualify by virtue of your SAT score and grades.

I believe that the most recently published data (which may be a few years old) showed a median ACT of 25 for incoming freshmen. I'm not sure how a school that requires a 26 could have 50% of its students at 25 or below.

jkjsooner
1/25/2011, 09:09 PM

The link you supplied is for "automatic admission." That hardly means OU requires a 26. It just means you will be wait-listed.

You did not specify out of state in your original post. Sure, that would apply to someone from Texas but you simply stated, "OU required 26 when I went," with no further qualifications.

Most importantly, you need to study a little boolean logic. The word "or" has a meaning. If you're a non-resident, have a 3.5 GPA and are in the top 25% of your class you do not need a 26.

SGA
1/25/2011, 09:20 PM

You're a total Richard

bluedogok
1/25/2011, 09:24 PM
I got a 24, imagine if i studied!
That is what I got on it and I came out of the room thinking I got about a 4, at that time (1982) you only had to have a 17 to get into OU. Since I was well above the requirement I never did take it again. My sister got a 32 and went to OU on a regents scholarship, I am not sure what the requirement was at that time (1994).

ACT score of at least 263

Except you can't get a 263 on the ACT...
Vince Young maybe on the SAT :D

Dwight
1/25/2011, 09:31 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was never true. 26 isn't as easy as you make it to be. I think the minimum now is like 23 or 24, which really is different than 26.

Dwight
1/25/2011, 09:33 PM
You're a total Richard

this

fadada1
1/25/2011, 09:35 PM
In 1989, i needed at ACT of 17 - OR - top 1/2 of graduating class - OR - 2.0 high school GPA.

i also ran about a 4.8 40, was 5'9", and pushed the scales at about 140. but i did get the freshman 20 to top out around 160. still under 170 20+ years later, but my 40 time in somewhere north of 5.0 i'm sure.:D

Soonermagik
1/25/2011, 09:46 PM
It's been a few days since I have taken the ACT. I know there are prep classes and I think you can take it over and over without penalty. If I were him, I would be getting a tutor and taking it every weekend.

They may be allowed to let him in on academic probation. If he keeps his grades up for a year then he's off probation. My wife screwed around at UCO and when she transferred to OU they put her on probation. She got a 4.0 the first year and she was off probation.

I think he will be here with no issue. He's got several months and can probably take the test another 15 times if he needs to. I'm sure he's humiliated that everyone knows he's struggling with the ACT. If he was any other kid no one would be the wiser.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 09:46 PM
Keep digging.

First, those are requirements for automatic admission (and even then, only for out-of-state applicants). You can still get in if you don't meet the criteria for automatic admission. Secondly, a 3.50 and top 25% finish in your high school class will qualify for automatic admission regardless of ACT score.

You can also qualify by virtue of your SAT score and grades.

I believe that the most recently published data (which may be a few years old) showed a median ACT of 25 for incoming freshmen. I'm not sure how a school that requires a 26 could have 50% of its students at 25 or below.

Digging? That was like a 3 second google search....

I understand that it's for automatic requirements, that's what you "have to have to get into OU", I thought you already understood that's what we were talking about. And yes I was mistaken about it being 26 for me, but you did emphatically state that "OU has never "required" 26". They do though, for out of state students...Considering we are talking about an out of state student in this thread, seems reasonable.

Just telling you how it is.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 09:53 PM
The link you supplied is for "automatic admission." That hardly means OU requires a 26. It just means you will be wait-listed.

You did not specify out of state in your original post. Sure, that would apply to someone from Texas but you simply stated, "OU required 26 when I went," with no further qualifications.

Most importantly, you need to study a little boolean logic. The word "or" has a meaning. If you're a non-resident, have a 3.5 GPA and are in the top 25% of your class you do not need a 26.

1)What other admission is there? Unautomatic admission? I understand you can get in other ways, but to make sure you get in when you apply, an out of state student should make sure to get at least a 26 on their ACT if they decide to go that route. I would say it's easier than the other ways, but couldn't tell you, never took SAT.

2)I was talking about me, in state. I was mistaken, but it is a requirement.

3)I understand there are other ways as I said above.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 09:56 PM
That is what I got on it and I came out of the room thinking I got about a 4, at that time (1982) you only had to have a 17 to get into OU. Since I was well above the requirement I never did take it again. My sister got a 32 and went to OU on a regents scholarship, I am not sure what the requirement was at that time (1994).

Except you can't get a 263 on the ACT...
Vince Young maybe on the SAT :D

On the site it read 26 superscript 3. Don't know what the 3 was for.

Mazeppa
1/25/2011, 09:57 PM
I don't care about the grades, I just hope he doesn't drink and drive.

MI Sooner
1/25/2011, 09:58 PM
Digging? That was like a 3 second google search....

I understand that it's for automatic requirements, that's what you "have to have to get into OU", I thought you already understood that's what we were talking about. And yes I was mistaken about it being 26 for me, but you did emphatically state that "OU has never "required" 26". They do though, for out of state students...Considering we are talking about an out of state student in this thread, seems reasonable.

Just telling you how it is.

If you live in a state other than Oklahoma, and you have a 3.6 and are 35th in your class of 200, not only might you get in with a 25 on your ACT, but you are GUARANTEED admission. So 26 isn't a requirement... not even for automatic admission for out-of-state students.

Now, please, stop it. ACT, Inc. should be ashamed that someone like you were able to achieve a better score than most college-bound students.

Rocko
1/25/2011, 09:59 PM

You're making yourself out to be a total ***.

pappy
1/25/2011, 09:59 PM
ACT's and SAT's are a joke...How you do on 1 test on a saturday morning shouldn't decide whether or not you get into college.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 10:11 PM
If you live in a state other than Oklahoma, and you have a 3.6 and are 35th in your class of 200, not only might you get in with a 25 on your ACT, but you are GUARANTEED admission. So 26 isn't a requirement... not even for automatic admission for out-of-state students.

Now, please, stop it. ACT, Inc. should be ashamed that someone like you were able to achieve a better score than most college-bound students.

I guess there is a reason why you're red.

MI Sooner
1/25/2011, 10:13 PM

Is is because I can distinguish between necessary and sufficient conditions?

sooners123
1/25/2011, 10:14 PM
Superior post makes one feel not so superior...

Ruf/Nek7
1/25/2011, 10:40 PM
I think student athletes just need an 18 to qualify

Its on a sliding scale. The higher the student-athlete's gpa is the lower the required ACT score is and vica versa.

Jboozer
1/25/2011, 10:59 PM
You're wrong...who's the ***? I guess you are right about 1 thing, I only needed a 24 because I'm from OK. 26 is for those out of state, like Metoyer if he wasn't an athlete. Check your **** before you start running your mouth....;)

http://www.ou.edu/admissions/home/requirements/undergraduate/freshman_admission.html

Automatic Admission Criteria1
RESIDENT
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.00
(on a 4.00 scale)
and
Rank in the top 25%
of your high school
graduating class OR ACT score of at least 243
and
OR
ACT score of at least 243
and
Rank in the top 50% of your high school graduating class2 OR SAT score of at least 10903
and
OR
SAT score of at least 10903
and
Rank in the top 50% of your high school graduating class2

NON-RESIDENT
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.50
(on a 4.00 scale)
and
Rank in the top 25%
of your high school graduating class OR ACT score of at least 263
and
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.00
(on a 4.00 scale)2
OR
ACT score of at least 263and
Rank in the top 50%
of your high school graduating class2 OR SAT score of at least 11703
and
Unweighted cumulative
grade point average
of at least a 3.00
(on a 4.00 scale)2
OR
SAT score of at least 11703
and
Rank in top 50%
of your high school graduating class2

I stopped reading the thread bc of all the idiocy. 26/24 is for AUTOMATIC acceptance. There is no minimum it is up to the discretion of the admissions committee.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 11:05 PM
I took my ACT with crayons

Curly Bill
1/25/2011, 11:16 PM
I took the ACT with an incredibly runny nose. It was both embarrassing, and purdy darn hard to concentrate.

Eielson
1/26/2011, 12:00 AM
ACT's and SAT's are a joke...How you do on 1 test on a saturday morning shouldn't decide whether or not you get into college.

It's a much better guide than GPA, though. I took quite a few difficult classes, and I ended up barely being in the top quarter of my class. Then I took the ACT and got a 31. Situations like that show you how misleading a GPA can be.

sooner518
1/26/2011, 12:29 AM
The day OU beat Nebraska in 2000, I took the ACT that gave me my Regent's Scholarship to OU. When I got out of the test, it was 14-0. When I got home, it was 14-14. It was a good day ;)

Rocko
1/26/2011, 01:22 AM
It's a much better guide than GPA, though. I took quite a few difficult classes, and I ended up barely being in the top quarter of my class. Then I took the ACT and got a 31. Situations like that show you how misleading a GPA can be.

Yeah, our education system is a joke (no sarcasm). The lower division classes do anything but challenge. I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone could possibly fail high school, not regarding outside issues (home life, drugs, etc.) It almost takes no effort, and even if you do manage to become borderline, just beg the "teacher" (coach making a couple extra grand) and they'll probably find some way to pass you.

pappy
1/26/2011, 03:20 AM
Yeah, our education system is a joke (no sarcasm). The lower division classes do anything but challenge. I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone could possibly fail high school, not regarding outside issues (home life, drugs, etc.) It almost takes no effort, and even if you do manage to become borderline, just beg the "teacher" (coach making a couple extra grand) and they'll probably find some way to pass you.

no child left behind.

texaspokieokie
1/26/2011, 08:51 AM
thot this was about Metoyer; not about posters.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/26/2011, 09:33 AM
26 is easy to get???....YIKES, I think I got an 18. Me so dumb :(

are you by any chance a stud receiver?

KantoSooner
1/26/2011, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know how the difficulty of the school is taken into account? I've seen kids from High School 'A' with a 2.5 ave who are very competent students (not setting the world on fire, but competent) and kids from school 'B' wiith a 3.5 who aren't competent to draw pictures in the dirt with sticks.

NormanPride
1/26/2011, 10:55 AM
thot this was about Metoyer; not about posters.

You must be new here. :)

LostCreekSooner
1/26/2011, 10:59 AM

:D

texaspokieokie
1/26/2011, 11:11 AM

yeah, dumb comment on my part.

stoopified
1/26/2011, 11:13 AM
Back to the point ......did he make it yet?

texaspokieokie
1/26/2011, 11:15 AM

no one on here cares.

setem
1/26/2011, 11:17 AM
I never took it and I am about to have 2 degrees from OU. SNACK ON THAT FOR LUNCH!

dwarthog
1/26/2011, 11:24 AM
:pop:

Lawton4Life
1/26/2011, 12:15 PM
what's the max these days? When i took it, it was 36. isnt it up to 40 or something now or was that just the SAT that changed?

I got a 32 which was good enough for a free ride for everything except your white male...which i am.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 12:16 PM
36 is the max

Wishboned
1/26/2011, 12:17 PM
The day OU beat Nebraska in 2000, I took the ACT that gave me my Regent's Scholarship to OU. When I got out of the test, it was 14-0. When I got home, it was 14-14. It was a good day ;)

You scored more points on your ACT than Nebraska did on OU's defense that day.

Eielson
1/26/2011, 01:38 PM

It's only been a day or two I believe. It will likely take a month or two to know much new information.

Eielson
1/26/2011, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know how the difficulty of the school is taken into account? I've seen kids from High School 'A' with a 2.5 ave who are very competent students (not setting the world on fire, but competent) and kids from school 'B' wiith a 3.5 who aren't competent to draw pictures in the dirt with sticks.

I don't think they really care to be honest.

SoonerMarkVA
1/26/2011, 09:55 PM
OU required 26 when I went.

I don't know when you went, but when I went in mid 90s, a 27 got you into the honors program, and a 30-32 (depending on your gender and race) got you a full 4-year ride in honors. So, unless things have changed drastically, I have serious doubts about the 26 claim.

starclassic tama
1/26/2011, 10:59 PM
yeah, it's already been covered that he doesn't know what he is talking about

roy22forheisman
1/28/2011, 04:54 PM
better get that score up....hes supposed to be the next dez bryant (except wearing the right colors)

CobraKai
1/28/2011, 06:38 PM
I scored a 32 in 1988 and got some free money from the state regents for higher education. About $2,000 per year, plus several other partial scholarships. Of course after a few years of grades came in...

oubose
1/28/2011, 06:52 PM
ACT? What's that have to do with play'n football. I didn't take them till after football.

SoonerShay
1/28/2011, 06:59 PM
When I applied to OU, you only had to make a 22 on your ACT to get in. I remember because I did not give a crap about my grade point average during high school and my only way to get into college was with the ACT.

Luckily the ACT was pretty easy (I test well) and I scored a 28 on the first try. I decided not to go because they had some freshman requirement of staying campus at the time and I already had a career in music.

KNEE BRACE
1/28/2011, 07:01 PM
vince young made it into texas. this guy will get to OU

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2011, 07:31 PM

And there is a reason you are headed in that same direction.

Careful with the holier than thou attitude.

First of all, to be granted admission you must obtain 2 of 3 criteria...

1. a certain GPA
2. a certain class rank (%)
3. a certain score on the ACT or SAT.

Meaning (like someone mentioned before) if you hav say 200 in your graduating class, and you have a 3.55 GPA and rank 25 out of 200, then you can score a 16 on the ACT and still get automatic admission!

You do not necessarily have to have a 26 ACT score to be granted auto admisssion into OU or any other school for that matter.

Believe it or not, some people are pure geniuses but cannot take timed tests very well. Hence the reason schools allow more criteria than test scores!

Stop being a prick and start comprehending what you are reading!

BajaOklahoma
1/28/2011, 07:48 PM
Out-of-state requirements are higher than in-state. I think OU hates all of us who are forced out-of-state for a job.
And they stopped the Legacy Program the year my eldest started at OU.

kiomanche
1/29/2011, 12:42 AM
what's the max these days? When i took it, it was 36. isnt it up to 40 or something now or was that just the SAT that changed?

I got a 32 which was good enough for a free ride for everything except your white male...which i am.

Lawton4life- Keeping it real in L town!

sperry
1/29/2011, 01:09 AM
Out-of-state requirements are higher than in-state. I think OU hates all of us who are forced out-of-state for a job.
And they stopped the Legacy Program the year my eldest started at OU.

It's harder for normal out of state athletes to gain admission. However, athletes just have to meet the minimum NCAA standards for admission, which are significantly lower than the regular requirements. It's really hard not to get in if you're an athlete, and I suspect that if Trey works hard studying for the test, he'll have no problem getting in.

adoniijahsooner
1/29/2011, 06:53 AM
I had a 1.6 high school g.p.a; took the act and passed it on the first try. After that I figured I wasn't as dumb as I portrayed myself to be. Last semester of High school I had a 3.0 gpa, which brought my overall gpa up to 1.7....at least I graduated:). I actually found college to be much easier than high school.

Scott D
1/29/2011, 12:23 PM
oh well, I guess it's good I went back in the stone age when 990 was sufficient on the SAT and not 10903. I'd be in major trouble.

Cornfed
1/29/2011, 03:06 PM
I scored a million on Pacman once.