PDA

View Full Version : When does Bob get his street?

stoopified
1/25/2011, 03:00 PM
My wife and I were in Norman the other day and she wanted to look at this house on Switzer and that reminded me that Norman has streets named for Wilkinson as well as Switzer.My question is when does Stoops get his street?Additionally is there a street named for Owen? I would add that I think Billy Tubbs and Sherri Coale would also be worthy namesakes.After all we do have a street named after Bart Conner

Mad Dog Madsen
1/25/2011, 03:01 PM
Possibly when he retires, I would think.

Widescreen
1/25/2011, 03:13 PM
There'd be a Boo Blake Blvd except that all those other coaches won championships with Blake's players too.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 03:54 PM
There'd be a Boo Blake Blvd except that all those other coaches won championships with Blake's players too.

That street should be an avenue that leads to the dump. "Take Boo Blake to the dump" just sounds right.

soonervegas
1/25/2011, 04:20 PM
January 10th, 2012?

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 04:26 PM
My wife and I were in Norman the other day and she wanted to look at this house on Switzer and that reminded me that Norman has streets named for Wilkinson as well as Switzer.My question is when does Stoops get his street?Additionally is there a street named for Owen? I would add that I think Billy Tubbs and Sherri Coale would also be worthy namesakes.After all we do have a street named after Bart Conner

Bart Conner is a small crappy industrial street that runs next to his gym, for like a quarter mile. Not much to be proud of. Where is Switzer? Bob lives on 36th I thought. I've never seen Wilkinson either. I do think it would be a good idea, but they could just rename part of the street like they did for that cowboy guy who got main just east of the railroad. Or Toby Keith Ave in Moore is still really Eastern and nobody calls it Toby Keith, it just says it on the sign.

Sooner_Tuf
1/25/2011, 05:07 PM
Bart Conner is a small crappy industrial street that runs next to his gym, for like a quarter mile. Not much to be proud of. Where is Switzer? Bob lives on 36th I thought. I've never seen Wilkinson either. I do think it would be a good idea, but they could just rename part of the street like they did for that cowboy guy who got main just east of the railroad. Or Toby Keith Ave in Moore is still really Eastern and nobody calls it Toby Keith, it just says it on the sign.

Barry Switzer Ave is just South of Hwy 9 and East of SW 24th. It is about two blocks long in residential neighborhood.

Bud Wilkinson Dr is the street that runs North next to the fire station on Boyd near SW 24th. It curves back to NW 24th. There is also a Wilkinson Ct off of Bud Wilkinson Dr to make things more confusing.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:11 PM
Barry Switzer Ave is just South of Hwy 9 and East of SW 24th. It is about two blocks long in residential neighborhood.

Bud Wilkinson Dr is the street that runs North next to the fire station on Boyd near SW 24th. It curves back to NW 24th. There is also a Wilkinson Ct off of Bud Wilkinson Dr to make things more confusing.

Trust me I worked the 2010 census, street names in general have to be the most retardedly thought out things ever. It could be a lot simpler. But thanks for the info, did not know that before. Now that you mention it, I think I might have done census work over there on Bud Wilkonson Dr, sounds familiar when thinking of that area.

OU_PhD
1/25/2011, 05:37 PM
There was a petition to rename Alameda to Bob Stoops Ave. at a city council meeting around 2003 or 2004...

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:41 PM
There was a petition to rename Alameda to Bob Stoops Ave. at a city council meeting around 2003 or 2004...

You have to start small. :D If the all time great OU's coaches only get a residential neighborhood street, I don't think Bob is going to get Alameda.

stoopified
1/25/2011, 05:42 PM
Possibly when he retires, I would think.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking that Switzer got his street while still coaching.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:48 PM
I could be wrong but I'm thinking that Switzer got his street while still coaching.

I wonder if it was by the city, or the residential neighborhood. Because neighborhoods can name their stuff whatever they want and sometimes it's the stupidest names ever. They might not have to go through the city to get it named. I wonder if some residential developer decided he wanted to if Bob would come endorse it.

bent rider
1/25/2011, 06:47 PM
Or would they have to pay Stoops a royalty if they use his name on a street? His new driveway is practically a thoroughfare.

Since Gary Gibbs was expected, primarily, to run a squeaky-clean program he could have a street over by Glisten and Sparkle St.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/25/2011, 07:30 PM
I think Berry Tramel had a column a few months ago about how ridiculous it is that Bud Wilkinson Drive and Barry Switzer Ave. are a pair of random residential streets only locals are aware of. He made the point that the proper thing to do would be to rename Jenkins to Bud Wilkinson Drive or something like that...you know, actually NEAR the stadium?

It wouldn't be too late to do that with Stoops or Owen someday.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 08:54 PM
I think Berry Tramel had a column a few months ago about how ridiculous it is that Bud Wilkinson Drive and Barry Switzer Ave. are a pair of random residential streets only locals are aware of. He made the point that the proper thing to do would be to rename Jenkins to Bud Wilkinson Drive or something like that...you know, actually NEAR the stadium?

It wouldn't be too late to do that with Stoops or Owen someday.

It would be unfair to Wilkinson and Switzer to name an awesome street after Stoops and leave them with the crappy residential ones. At least rename Chataqua or however you spell it after Switzer since he lives on that street. Close enough to campus IMO.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/25/2011, 10:51 PM
It would be unfair to Wilkinson and Switzer to name an awesome street after Stoops and leave them with the crappy residential ones.

I blame the City of Norman. The greatest president in the history of the University of Oklahoma's street is a crappy, mid-60s cul-du-sac a block away from the street named after the greatest football coach in the history of the University of Oklahoma. Presidents Boyd's and Brooks' streets go through the heart of campus; meanwhile George Lynn Cross Drive is essentially an alley behind Hastings.

texaspokieokie
1/26/2011, 09:29 AM
i think there's a "switzer" & "sooner" street in north dallas or maybe garland.

Sooner_Tuf
1/26/2011, 12:52 PM
There is a Switzer Ave in Dallas. Outside of Lubbock in Wolfforth is neighborhood with a Sooner St. It also has a Tiger St, a Raider St, and a Longhorn St.