PDA

View Full Version : Alabama law firm to Taco Bell: Where's the beef?

Fraggle145
1/25/2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41242132/ns/business-consumer_news/

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — An Alabama law firm claims in a lawsuit that Taco Bell is using false advertising when it refers to using "seasoned ground beef" or "seasoned beef" in its products.

The meat mixture sold by Taco Bell restaurants contains binders and extenders and does not meet the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled as "beef," according to the legal complaint.

The class-action lawsuit was filed Friday in federal court in the Central District of California by the Montgomery law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles.

Attorney Dee Miles said attorneys had Taco Bell's "meat mixture" tested and found it contained less that 35 percent beef. Miles said the lawsuit does not seek monetary damages, but asks the court to order Taco Bell to be honest in its advertising. "We are asking that they stop saying that they are selling beef," Miles said.

Irvine, Calif.-based Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch (PAYCH) said the company denies that its advertising is misleading.

"Taco Bell prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value. We're happy that the millions of customers we serve every week agree," Poetsch said. He said the company would "vigorously defend the suit."

The lawsuit says that Taco Bell's "seasoned beef" contains other ingredients, including water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch.

Yum.

OULenexaman
1/25/2011, 02:50 PM
soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent '......doesn't everyone have this stuff at home??

delhalew
1/25/2011, 02:58 PM
I've been trying to get the wife to quit feeding my kids that crap, but I'm not around through the week, so...not much I can do.

OUthunder
1/25/2011, 03:02 PM
I wonder if the chicken is real

oumartin
1/25/2011, 03:28 PM
who cares if it's real. It tastes pretty good.

soonerboomer93
1/25/2011, 03:31 PM
soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent '......doesn't everyone have this stuff at home??

the anti-dusting agent adds the spiceyness

JohnnyMack
1/25/2011, 03:32 PM

America. **** yeah!

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 03:36 PM
My favorite is the anti-dusting agent. Without it, Taco Bell just won't be the same.

NormanPride
1/25/2011, 03:45 PM
This is like hotdogs. There is so much crap in a hotdog it's not funny. But they taste dang good, so I don't care.

Midtowner
1/25/2011, 03:46 PM
Taco Bell Rice

RICE
Water, Seasoning: Salt, Maltodextrin, Tomato Powder, Potassium Chloride, Natural Flavor (With Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Maltodextrin, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Sunflower Lecithin), Spices, Dehydrated Onions, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika [Color], Citric Acid, Dehydrated Green Bell Peppers, Dehydrated Red Bell Peppers, Extractive of Paprika [Color], Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Garlic Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Corn Starch), Onion Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Dextrin, Corn Starch), Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking. Rice (Raw): Enriched Precooked Parboiled Long Grain Rice [Rice, Niacin, Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Thiamine Mononitrate (Thiamine), Folic Acid]. Oil: High-Oleic Low-Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (An Antifoaming Agent).

*Does not contain rice

cantwait48
1/25/2011, 03:58 PM
I could see 80% or something like that but less than 35% is gross

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:00 PM
This is like hotdogs. There is so much crap in a hotdog it's not funny. But they taste dang good, so I don't care.

How many people go to Taco Bell because they think they are getting beef? No, they go to Taco Bell because they love the taste of authentic Mexican food.

Or they're stoned.

Oldnslo
1/25/2011, 04:01 PM
Bueno > Bell

I'm sure it's at least 65% "meat" at Bueno!

3rdgensooner
1/25/2011, 04:01 PM
As long as no one reminds the drunken diners in the wee hours of the morning, they'll retain their mainstay clientele.

BillyBall
1/25/2011, 04:06 PM
No, they go to Taco Bell because they love the taste of authentic Mexican food.

Heh...

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 04:10 PM
Worked at Taco Mayo and the bags of "beef" said Taco Meat Filling on the side. Don't know what that implies, but it sure didn't make me think beef...

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:10 PM
What is a contained in an authentic Mexican taco?

A corn tortilla. Taco Bell has that.
Beef. Taco Bell has that (sort of).
Lettuce. Taco Bell has that.
Tomato. Taco Bell has that.

Ergo, Taco Bell is authentic Mexican food.

soonerbrat
1/25/2011, 04:11 PM
How many people go to Taco Bell because they think they are getting beef? No, they go to Taco Bell because they love the taste of authentic Mexican food.

Or they're stoned.

it tastes mighty good when you're drunk.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 04:13 PM
it tastes mighty good when you're drunk.

Drunk, stoned, or sober, Tb is the best. Back in high school I literally went there every single day for lunch for like an entire year. Me and my friends would pull up and they would just say pull on up because they new our order. Kinda sad, but it's tasty and pretty cheap.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:13 PM
And it's cheap. Never forget that.

If using real beef increases the costs, forget it.

BillyBall
1/25/2011, 04:15 PM
What is a contained in an authentic Mexican taco?

A corn tortilla. Taco Bell has that.
Beef. Taco Bell has that (sort of).
Lettuce. Taco Bell has that.
Tomato. Taco Bell has that.

Ergo, Taco Bell is authentic Mexican food.

Actually it's more like a soft corn tortilla, al pastor, cilantro and onion.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:18 PM
Actually it's more like a soft corn tortilla, al pastor, cilantro and onion.

I don't like cilantro, so Taco Bell is even better.

BTW, since Fraggle posted this I have had a yearning to go out and get some Taco Bell.

NormanPride
1/25/2011, 04:43 PM
I don't think authentic Mexican cuisine involves tacos at all.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:45 PM

That's all they eat in Mexico.

That, and Enchuritos.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2011, 04:56 PM
I don't order ground meat at any of these places after what I saw when working at Taco Mayo in college. Scoup of meat and a couple of scoups of soy bean stuff they called spices. You would rake it in a large pan so it all looked the same... I only get the chicken or the beef fajita meat - harder to fake, but not impossible...

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:00 PM
I don't order ground meat at any of these places after what I saw when working at Taco Mayo in college. Scoup of meat and a couple of scoups of soy bean stuff they called spices. You would rake it in a large pan so it all looked the same... I only get the chicken or the beef fajita meat - harder to fake, but not impossible...

The steak and chicken from Taco Mayo are acctually pretty tasty. They have some of the better grilled buritos and quesadillas there.

BillyBall
1/25/2011, 05:00 PM

Locals tear up the portable taco stands, I totally disagree. I spent a semester abroad in Aguascalientes and we probably had tacos 3-4 times a week.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:01 PM
That's all they eat in Mexico.

That, and Enchuritos.

My friend who studied abroad in Puerto Rico said he litterally ate beans and rice three meals a day for the entire month or so he was there.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 05:09 PM
My friend who studied abroad in Puerto Rico said he litterally ate beans and rice three meals a day for the entire month or so he was there.

Sleeping in the same room as them must have been unpleasant.

NormanPride
1/25/2011, 05:13 PM
Locals tear up the portable taco stands, I totally disagree. I spent a semester abroad in Aguascalientes and we probably had tacos 3-4 times a week.

There's a place called "Hot water"? Pfft. And I think it varies from place to place. I know some places are almost 100% seafood.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:17 PM
Sleeping in the same room as them must have been unpleasant.

When all you can afford/choose to eat is beans and rice, your house always smells like fart probably.

sappstuf
1/25/2011, 08:12 PM
Taco Bell: Our meat is at least 41% meat....

Taco Bell: Our Beef Mixture Is Seasoned Meat

Taco Bell officials deny claims made in a lawsuit that the meat in their tacos and other products is not all beef.

Taco Bell President Greg Creed said Tuesday in a statement that the lawyers who filed the lawsuit got their facts wrong. He said Taco Bell plans to take legal action against those making the allegations. He did not explain specifically what Irvine-based Taco Bell would do.

A class-action lawsuit filed Friday by a Montgomery law firm says the Taco Bell meat mixture contains binders and fillers. The lawsuit claims Taco Bell falls short of the USDA’s requirement that its filling be at least 40 percent fresh meat.

Creed said that Taco Bell buys the same brands of beef sold in supermarkets. He said the beef is simmered in a blend of seasonings.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 08:56 PM
Taco Bell: Our meat is at least 41% meat....

"simmered in a blend of seasonings" means cut down to as little meat as possible and still stay within regulations.

sperry
1/25/2011, 08:59 PM
Taco Bell is just foul. I can't comprehend why anyone would eat there when Taco Bueno is open. So basically, Bell should be open Thursday-Saturday Midnight- 4 A.M.

Sooner5030
1/25/2011, 09:01 PM
People still eat at restaurants? We fix some good eats for about $2.38 per meal per person (after couponing) at home. It’s healthier also.

mgsooner
1/25/2011, 09:33 PM
Taco Bell is fukkin gross. Pretty much the bottom of the fast food barrel

soonerinkaty
1/25/2011, 10:02 PM
Marijuana is a big reason of why T-Bell is so popular.

That, and goddamn it tastes good.

delhalew
1/25/2011, 10:07 PM
I remember loving Taco Hell. It must have been the booze and the drugs. Now when I try to eat it, I get a little sick, and wonder how I ever ate that ****.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2011, 10:07 PM
Taco Bueno>Taco Bell

setem
1/25/2011, 10:16 PM
This will never be "authentic Mexican cuisine"!
http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/uploaded_images/taco-bell-crunchy-773115.jpg

I eat the **** out of it! Anti-Dusting agents and all!

sooner59
1/25/2011, 10:35 PM
Taco Bueno doesn't have my favorite thing: The Baja Chicken Chalupa!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/3529999518_62368683ba_m.jpg

Curly Bill
1/25/2011, 11:18 PM
Never been a fan of Taco Bell...

...but the ex loved it...

...hmmmmmm???

OUthunder
1/25/2011, 11:20 PM
Taco Bell Rice

RICE
Water, Seasoning: Salt, Maltodextrin, Tomato Powder, Potassium Chloride, Natural Flavor (With Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Maltodextrin, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Sunflower Lecithin), Spices, Dehydrated Onions, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika [Color], Citric Acid, Dehydrated Green Bell Peppers, Dehydrated Red Bell Peppers, Extractive of Paprika [Color], Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Garlic Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Corn Starch), Onion Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Dextrin, Corn Starch), Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking. Rice (Raw): Enriched Precooked Parboiled Long Grain Rice [Rice, Niacin, Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Thiamine Mononitrate (Thiamine), Folic Acid]. Oil: High-Oleic Low-Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (An Antifoaming Agent).

*Does not contain rice

Taco Bell has rice on the menu?

Who knew.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 11:23 PM
Taco Bell is just foul. I can't comprehend why anyone would eat there when Taco Bueno is open. So basically, Bell should be open Thursday-Saturday Midnight- 4 A.M.

IOW, peak hours.

FirstandGoal
1/25/2011, 11:23 PM
Of course we all realize that its not just Taco Bell, but most fast food places that serve this frankenfood crap that they try to pass off as real food.

Its easy to be a fast food junkie because its so easy and cheap, but nothing in life comes for free and you get what you pay for.

Nowadays the only way I know that the food I eat is as advertised is to make it myself. I used to tell myself I was too busy to cook, but when you look at the cost to health and wellness, its crazy not to take the time.

Ironically, I served soft tacos (had taco salad myself) to the family after working a 9 hour shift today and not getting home till 8pm. It takes about 15 minutes to brown real actual ground beef (I use Laura's because its organic), add some spices, cut up some jalapenos, tomatoes and avocados and pop open a jar of salsa and break open a bag of shredded cheese. Nuke a few tortillas to warm them for the kids and open a bag of organic salad mix for me and I can have dinner on the table faster than most people can drive to their local TB and order something that will have 3 times as much fat and calories and God knows what else might be in there.

And yes..... I do also eat hummus with fresh veggies so go ahead and flame away. :O

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 11:26 PM
Ironically, I served soft tacos (had taco salad myself) to the family after working a 9 hour shift today and not getting home till 8pm.

Here we go again.

:gary:

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 11:27 PM
Nowadays the only way I know that the food I eat is as advertised is to make it myself. I used to tell myself I was too busy to cook, but when you look at the cost to health and wellness, its crazy not to take the time.

And the fact that it's your duty as a wife.

FirstandGoal
1/25/2011, 11:28 PM
And the fact that it's your duty as a wife.

Ummmm......

nm

sappstuf
1/25/2011, 11:36 PM
My Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are looking the picture of health!

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE
Nonfat Milk, Cheese Whey, Canola Oil, Modified Food Starch, Cheddar Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Salt, Jalapeño Puree, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Caseinate, Vinegar, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Lactic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Color Added (Including FD&C Yellow #6), Citric Acid, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. CONTAINS MILK

REDUCED FAT SOUR CREAM
Cream, Milk, Modified Corn Starch, Nonfat Dry Milk, Maltodextrin, Carrageenan, Locust Bean Gum, Lactic Acid, Gelatin, Guar Gum, Mono And Diglycerides, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Vitamin A, Potassium Sorbate (A Preservative), And Natural And Artificial Flavor. CONTAINS MILK

POTATO BITES
Potatoes, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils), And/Or Soybean Oil, Enriched Bleached Flour [Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Salt, Modified Food Starch, Rice Flour, Dextrin, Corn Starch, Spices, Leavening [Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate], Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor [Black Pepper Oleoresin], Color [Paprika Oleoresin, Tumeric Oleoresin], Dextrose, Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate [to maintain natural color]. CONTAINS WHEAT Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Contains One Or More Of The Following: Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Palm Oil, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil), Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Modified Food Starch, Rice Flour, Dextrin, Cornstarch, Spices, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor (Black Pepper Oleoresin), Color (Paprika Oleoresin, Turmeric Oleoresin), Dextrose, Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate (To Maintain Natural Color). CONTAINS WHEAT Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Soybean and/or Canola Oil), Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Modified Food Starch, Rice Flour, Dextrin, Corn Starch, Spices, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor (Black Pepper Oleoresin), Color (Paprika Oleoresin, Tumeric Oleoresin), Dextrose, Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate (to maintain natural color). CONTAINS WHEAT *Will Contain One Of The Ingredient Statements Above, Depending Upon Regional Suppliers

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 11:41 PM
I looked up their lettuce and all is good.

delhalew
1/25/2011, 11:43 PM
Of course we all realize that its not just Taco Bell, but most fast food places that serve this frankenfood crap that they try to pass off as real food.

Its easy to be a fast food junkie because its so easy and cheap, but nothing in life comes for free and you get what you pay for.

Ironically, I served soft tacos (had taco salad myself) to the family after working a 9 hour shift today and not getting home till 8pm. It takes about 15 minutes to brown real actual ground beef (I use Laura's because its organic), add some spices, cut up some jalapenos, tomatoes and avocados and pop open a jar of salsa and break open a bag of shredded cheese. Nuke a few tortillas to warm them for the kids and open a bag of organic salad mix for me and I can have dinner on the table faster than most people can drive to their local TB and order something that will have 3 times as much fat and calories and God knows what else might be in there.

And yes..... I do also eat hummus with fresh veggies so go ahead and flame away. :O

I'll not be talking any ****. I'm quick to whip up a meal for my family rather than feed then frankenfood .(I like that term. I'll be using it.)

Also, hummus is tasty. I like roasted red pepper flavored.

sooner59
1/26/2011, 12:13 AM
I'll not be talking any ****. I'm quick to whip up a meal for my family rather than feed then frankenfood .(I like that term. I'll be using it.)

Also, hummus is tasty. I like roasted red pepper flavored.

THIS! Just in the last week I first tried The Wedge and got their flatbread and had them throw in some roasted red pepper hummus, and I took it out. It was awesome. That is some good ****.

GottaHavePride
1/26/2011, 12:24 AM
Fast food is why this is the most obese country in the history of the world.

And for whoever mentioned hotdogs earlier, if your hotdogs are full of weird crap, you're buying them in the wrong place. When I want hotdogs I get them from a Polish butcher that makes them from lamb and veal. They kick ***.

sooner59
1/26/2011, 12:41 AM

And for whoever mentioned hotdogs earlier, if your hotdogs are full of weird crap, you're buying them in the wrong place. When I want hotdogs I get them from a Polish butcher that makes them from lamb and veal. They kick ***.

Do you know of a place in OKC for good hotdogs?

soonerbrat
1/26/2011, 09:39 AM

CONEY ISLAND!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2011, 09:58 AM
"simmered in a blend of seasonings" means cut down to as little meat as possible and still stay within regulations.

As I said earlier, Taco Mayo called soy filler and other additives "seasonings" when I worked there. You raked the meat in a pan and it looks and tastes like all meat.

It will be interesting to hear the food science on this one, but I bet this will be settled out of court as TB will not want the people to know what is in their food and competitors to know how they stretch the product. Margin, baby, margin...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2011, 10:00 AM
That, and goddamn it tastes good.

You must be joking! I would never accuse TB of being good. Plentiful, ubiquitous and open late, yes, tastes good, never.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2011, 10:03 AM

Please tell us where said butcher is? Does he use natural casings?

Fraggle145
1/26/2011, 07:53 PM
Please tell us where said butcher is? Does he use natural casings?

:pop:

KABOOKIE
1/26/2011, 10:54 PM

Taco Bell.

SoonerBorn68
1/26/2011, 11:28 PM

Lamb lips?

Leroy Lizard
1/27/2011, 03:41 AM
When I want hotdogs I get them from a Polish butcher that makes them from lamb and veal.

Now that's just plain gross.

Okla-homey
1/27/2011, 07:34 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41242132/ns/business-consumer_news/

Yum.

IMHO, Taco Bell better better take this lawsuit seriously. Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, in its incarnation in the 80's, won one of the largest judgments in American history. The case was brought against a car dealer it proved repaired and repainted a new BMW that was damaged on the lot and sold for new concealing the fact it had been damaged and repaired.

As I recall, the award of damages was so enormous, on appeal, SCOTUS ruled the amount was unreasonable and on remand to the trial court, ordered it to try again.

delhalew
1/27/2011, 09:20 AM
IMHO, Taco Bell better better take this lawsuit seriously. Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, in its incarnation in the 80's, won one of the largest judgments in American history. The case was brought against a car dealer it proved repaired and repainted a new BMW that was damaged on the lot and sold for new concealing the fact it had been damaged and repaired.

As I recall, the award of damages was so enormous, on appeal, SCOTUS ruled the amount was unreasonable and on remand to the trial court, ordered it to try again.

I've been hearing the Plaintiff only wants them to stop calling it beef.

KABOOKIE
1/27/2011, 03:01 PM

I think that was what the lawyer geek was trying to convey. That, the award of renaming BEEF to TACO SHAT will be so enormous that an appeal to SCOTUS will rule the amount as unreasonable and remand the trial court, to try again.

CrimsonCream
1/27/2011, 03:29 PM

They want to call it a "beef mixture."

TheHumanAlphabet
1/27/2011, 04:47 PM
They want to call it a "beef mixture."

They gonna go after Taco Mayo next?? They have same said "beef mixture"... I'm Taco Bueno is the same as well.

sooner59
1/27/2011, 06:02 PM
Maybe fast food tex-mex places should all become BYOB: Bring Your Own Beef

oktommyboy
2/4/2011, 08:06 PM
Worked at Taco Mayo and the bags of "beef" said Taco Meat Filling on the side. Don't know what that implies, but it sure didn't make me think beef...

The government will no longer let you stamp something as beef it is not pure beef. Since it is mixed with seasonings already, it cannot be labled as beef even though it is beef with seasonings.

oktommyboy
2/4/2011, 08:11 PM
As I said earlier, Taco Mayo called soy filler and other additives "seasonings" when I worked there. You raked the meat in a pan and it looks and tastes like all meat.

It will be interesting to hear the food science on this one, but I bet this will be settled out of court as TB will not want the people to know what is in their food and competitors to know how they stretch the product. Margin, baby, margin...

As an insider, I know TM does not put oats in the meat like other guys. I also know that in the next month or so they are switching to 90% lean after all of these years of buying beef 80% lean, and are using a formula to cut back sodium as well. Besides, it's a company based in OK, other guys aren't. Shouldn't sooner fans appreciate that?

oktommyboy
2/4/2011, 08:13 PM

Thats like asking Red Lobster to stop calling fried shrimp "shrimp" because it has breading and oil, its not pure shrimp.

delhalew
2/5/2011, 02:42 AM
Thats like asking Red Lobster to stop calling fried shrimp "shrimp" because it has breading and oil, its not pure shrimp.

No. Not really...not at all. Look a little oats never hurt any one...unless you have grain allergy. The fact is, the beef contains much more than seasoning. If in order to save some money you want to serve 30% beef, fine. Call of what it is. Poor people and stoners will still eat it.

oktommyboy
2/6/2011, 12:41 PM
I don't know of anyone serving 30 percent beef, just because someone claims that, doesn't mean its true. You can buy "all beef hot dogs", that doesn't mean its all muscle, that just mean the parts ground into the hot dogs are from cows and not pigs and chickens. It is the same thing in a way, you just have to argue about the percentages of beef. If it was percentage wise, had more oats than beef, then you could have an arguement, but whether they are using parts or muscle, its still beef. Vegetable soup has mostly water, not vegetables. We could give countless examples. Someone has singled out a big company because people are lawsuit happy. If you go somewhere and expect food for nothing, don't expect prime rib. I don't know what their specs are, but they aren't doing anything different than most other companies, whether restaurants or packaging food. The people with food allergies already know to check what they are eating first, and decide to eat it or not.

Spray
2/6/2011, 02:17 PM

That damn BMW case was hammered at us in law school- I swear I think we covered it in just about every class. Oh, the glorious debates...

SicEmBaylor
2/6/2011, 02:21 PM
That damn BMW case was hammered at us in law school- I swear I think we covered it in just about every class. Oh, the glorious debates...

The difference here though seems to be that Taco Bell isn't advertising their meat as 100% beef whereas the BMW dealer was likely advertising the car as brand new. Not to defend Taco Bell or anything, but they don't seem to be making any sot of false claim.

I'm not a lawyer though so maybe there's a different standard for judging this sort of thing than what I'm thinking.

Spray
2/7/2011, 09:44 AM
I think Homey was bringing up that case because it was much more about the resultant award to the plaintiffs rather than comparing the facts of the two cases. He's just saying Taco Bell should watch out because this firm knows how to get large awards from juries in Bama out of deep pockets. Of course, large awards that get reduced by the Supreme Court, but large nonetheless.

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 08:18 PM
There's a place called "Hot water"? Pfft. And I think it varies from place to place. I know some places are almost 100% seafood.

Had an argument with a coworker about what real Mexican food was. She said it's mostly seafood. I responded that if you're only experience in Mexico is Cancun or Cozumel then you're probably not experiencing the full country's cuisine.

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 08:33 PM

That's not even close to being a good analogy. When you order breaded shrimp you expect it to have breading on it. If the shrimp is too small then you will notice it and not order it again.

Labeling something that looks like beef but is less than 50% beef is misleading plain and simple.

You're comment about vegetable soup is also a bad analogy. Everyone knows vegetable SOUP has a lot of soup base in it. It's soup for goodness sakes. You're not claiming you're selling vegetables. You're claiming it's vegetable SOUP. This is like saying it can't be called a beef taco because there are tomatoes, cheese, and a tortilla. They're not making that argument. They're arguing that what is called beef is less than 50% actual beef.

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2011, 08:57 PM
Well, now here is a novel idea...

If you have a beef with the beef then how about just...you know...not eating there anymore instead of suing?

Fraggle145
2/7/2011, 09:30 PM

If you have a beef with the beef then how about just...you know...not eating there anymore instead of suing?

Commie.

picasso
2/7/2011, 09:31 PM

Taco Hell?

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 11:32 PM

Well, that would be great if you knew it wasn't beef. How did most of us come to know the beef content was so low? You got it, a lawsuit. What is the expected outcome of the suit? The expectation is for Taco Bell to be honest in how they describe the stuff they're calling beef. Hmmm, then peeps will have the knowledge they need to make an informed decision.

sooner59
2/7/2011, 11:45 PM
With some of the stuff that I know I have eaten willingly, I am basically unfazed by what Taco Bell does. I only get three things from there and only one contains the "beef"...the meximelt. And that is pretty good when I'm drunk. Baja chicken chalupa and chicken quesadilla with fire sauce are normally good anytime....when they don't **** up my order....which is 50% of the time.

oktommyboy
2/9/2011, 10:35 PM
I didn't say breaded shrimp, and I've had shrimp that has more breading than shrimp. Why didn't you argue the beef hot dogs? how much muscle do you think is actually in hot dogs? The story said the low percentage was muscle, they did state other parts were still from the cow, which could technically still be called beef. Here's another one for you to pick apart, lemon drops do not have any real lemon lol I'm just saying they aren't doing anything different than many other companies put in naming of their products.

Leroy Lizard
2/10/2011, 12:08 AM
Well, hot dogs don't have any dog in 'em, so what's the problem?

(As soon as you get done laughing hysterically, feel free to respond.)

sooner59
2/10/2011, 12:34 AM
I watched "Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern" on the Travel Channel. I no longer care about what's in Taco Bell or hotdogs. I'm just glad I ain't eating boiled sheep intestines stuffed with ground organs and blood with a side of crispy bug kabobs and a fresh tuna fish eyeball for desert (a delicacy) where you suck out the eye juice. At least when I eat gross stuff, its called "hot dog" or "taco meat" and I don't actually realize what I am eating. That show was disgusting, yet I kept watching for some reason.

Leroy Lizard
4/20/2011, 02:51 AM
(AP) — Taco Bell declared victory Tuesday after an Alabama-based law firm dropped its class-action lawsuit that raised a beef with the meat filling served in the fast-food chain's tacos and burritos.

The two sides differed, though, on the result of the legal battle that had put Taco Bell on the defensive, prompting the popular chain to spend millions to defend its taco filling.

The law firm Beasley Allen, based in Montgomery, Ala., said it dropped the lawsuit after Taco Bell made changes to its marketing and product disclosure.

Taco Bell CEO Greg Creed countered that the chain made no changes to its products or advertising and didn't discuss possible changes with the plaintiff's lawyers. The chain said the allegations were "absolutely wrong" and the suit was voluntarily withdrawn by the firm.

"This is a victory for truth over fiction, and we're glad the lawyers voluntarily withdrew their case once they learned the truth," Creed said in a statement Tuesday.

Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch said the chain has always reported its product ingredients on the company's Web site.

Taco Bell said no money was exchanged as a result of the suit being dropped.

In response to the suit, Taco Bell took out full-page ads in at least nine major newspapers, aired television spots and launched a YouTube campaign to proclaim its taco filling is 88 percent beef.

It spent between $3 million and $4 million in advertising to counter the accusations made in the lawsuit, Creed said.

He said he could not comment on any financial fallout for the fast-food company as a result from the lawsuit because the company is in a mandatory quiet period before releasing its earnings. Yum Brands reports its first-quarter earnings on Wednesday.

Louisville-based Yum is also the parent of Pizza Hut and KFC. Taco Bell accounts for about 60 percent of Yum's profits in the U.S.

Yum Brands Chairman and CEO David C. Novak said in early February that the lawsuit was having a "negative, short-term impact" on the chain. But he said the chain had "turned the tide" with its aggressive response.

Taco Bell says its taco filling contains 88 percent USDA-inspected beef and the rest is water, spices and a mixture of oats, starch and other ingredients that contribute to what it calls the "quality of its product."

The company said it uses no extenders to add volume to the filling.

The false-advertising lawsuit, filed in federal court in California in January, alleged the chain's filling doesn't have enough beef to be called that. It alleged the meat mixture has binders and extenders and does not meet federal requirements to be labeled beef. The suit sought to make the company stop calling it "beef," and pay the suing law firm's bill.

Laura Ries, president of Ries & Ries, a marketing strategy firm based in Atlanta, said the chain had to respond to such serious allegations, but said the ads were simply "repeating the message that something was wrong."

"They probably fought back harder than they had to with all that massive advertising," she said.

The allegations caused some short-term problems, but in the long run likely won't damage the brand, Ries said.

"If you like Taco Bell, you're probably still going to like Taco Bell," she said.