PDA

View Full Version : UConn, you got some explainin' to do!!!

No1Better
1/25/2011, 02:20 PM
Sounds like sour grapes...sorry, maybe your son Joe just wasn't that good...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/25/uconn-donor-demand.ap/index.html

Flagstaffsooner
1/25/2011, 02:26 PM
They should learn to obey orders from sugar daddy. oSu does this well.

SoonerMom2
1/25/2011, 02:30 PM
WOW! Is that what is taking OSU so long to name coaches because they have to be vetted by Boone Pickens?

bmjlr
1/25/2011, 02:35 PM
Wow, who peed in this guy's wheaties. Cry baby.

cccasooner2
1/25/2011, 02:45 PM
I guess he doesn't care about mens BB at UCON. Would be nice if one would actually get a degree. Is it still 0%?

EatLeadCommie
1/25/2011, 02:46 PM
what a baby...UConn made a pretty solid hire to replace Edsall, IMO...what's even funnier is that this guy's son played for Pasqualoni at Syracuse

yermom
1/25/2011, 02:49 PM
i'm guessing that has something to do with why he's upset...

i guess i'm spoiled or something but giving $7MM to a school doesn't seem like it would get you near as much whining power as he seems to think he has

badger
1/25/2011, 02:55 PM
This is why the NCAA will never be able to get a "Rooney Rule" going similar to the NFL. In the NFL, teams have sole ownership (or at least a president, in the case of the Packers), but schools have tons of boosters that demand that their voice be heard in exchange for their donations.

The booster complaining publicly about not being heard is just snicker-worthy though. And there's no way in hell he's getting his money back.

OUthunder
1/25/2011, 02:57 PM
If I were UCONN, my rebuttal would be...

**** off disp****!

badger
1/25/2011, 02:57 PM
You all gotta read the original article, not the AP one linked above:

http://www.theday.com/article/20110125/SPORT07/301259947/-1/sport

lololololol:D

badger
1/25/2011, 02:59 PM
Ruh roh, you all have to read the whiny letter too. Here it is!!!! (http://www.theday.com/assets/pdf/NL79484125.PDF)

personal and confidential lololololololol :D

Widescreen
1/25/2011, 03:16 PM
Wow, that's almost Helander-worthy.

badger
1/25/2011, 03:18 PM
Wow, that's almost Helander-worthy.

Guys, after all the backlash, OUI has decided NOT to charge this posting fee.

I will see you there once you realize that guys like olevet and 'the posse' are nothing but old dbags trying to flex muscles on a web board.

See you all back over there in the more civilized of the message board worlds.

Breadburner
1/25/2011, 03:19 PM
Lol....What a D!ck.....

bmjlr
1/25/2011, 03:33 PM
After reading his letter, he states if UConn is looking for a fight, they found the right person...sounds like this arrogant a** is the one looking for a fight. He needs to get a life. No college needs a jerk like this around. I would say good riddance and please let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

EatLeadCommie
1/25/2011, 03:37 PM
they should take his money and honor his request to take the family name off the field so that they can sell it to another booster and make more money.

Scott D
1/25/2011, 03:41 PM
Sounds like sour grapes...sorry, maybe your son Joe just wasn't that good...

I can't think of anyone other than the UConn AD that thinks hiring Pasqualoni was a good idea.

stoopified
1/25/2011, 03:47 PM
WOW! Is that what is taking OSU so long to name coaches because they have to be vetted by Boone Pickens?Of course,where you been?

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 03:49 PM
what a baby...UConn made a pretty solid hire to replace Edsall, IMO...what's even funnier is that this guy's son played for Pasqualoni at Syracuse

I have a feeling that his son playing for Pasqualoni is the root of the problem.

BTW, am I the only that thinks a $3 million donation is rather low to be granted such influence?

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 03:51 PM
UConn is a state institution. I don't think he can be involved in the hiring process even if the AD wanted him to be.

C&CDean
1/25/2011, 03:53 PM
Who gives a ****? It's ****ing UConn. They're already on their way back to being a girls BB school.

Widescreen
1/25/2011, 04:06 PM
I can't think of anyone other than the UConn AD that thinks hiring Pasqualoni was a good idea.

Apparently the university president is OK with it or else it wouldn't have happened.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 04:06 PM
Who gives a ****? It's ****ing UConn. They're already on their way back to being a girls BB school.

Were they ever anything else?

Really though, this guy may have some reasons to be upset. But just because you donate money doesn't give you any acctual authority in the program. He needs to learn that 7 million dollars is weak sauce, and if you want real control start donating 100's of millions like ole Boone. I bet Gaylord has donated that much if not more to OU and you don't ever hear about him interfering with anything. You don't ever hear about him period except with the stadium name.

badger
1/25/2011, 04:18 PM
You don't ever hear about him period except with the stadium name.

If OU ever wanted to hear from him, they'd have to find her:
http://www.afterlifeshow.com/WhoopiInGhost.jpg

sooned
1/25/2011, 04:24 PM
I guess Uconn can choose to invest their institutional investments (retirement plans etc.) with another managed fund besides Burton's. Maybe alot of other Uconn boosters might do the samd!!

What goes around comes around, as they say.

humblesooner
1/25/2011, 04:25 PM
The last line of the letter said he wanted to hear from the university in response to his letter. I would throw the letter in File 13 and go on with my business. he has already stated that he is not making anymore contributions (so he won't be their largest supporters).
P*** on him.

opksooner
1/25/2011, 04:26 PM
Burton:

"Damn you.........I've got a lotta damn money and by gawd I'm gonna use it!"

uconn

"4 Q and the horse you rode in on!"

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:28 PM
Burton has done nothing wrong. He feels the institution blew him off and so he wants his money back. It's his right to complain and request a refund.

He wrote the AD voicing his complaints. It was the AD who released the letter to the public.

bmjlr
1/25/2011, 04:32 PM
Burton has done nothing wrong. He feels the institution blew him off and so he wants his money back. It's his right to complain and request a refund.

He wrote the AD voicing his complaints. It was the AD who released the letter to the public.

Burton knew it would go public and said so in his letter that he will tell the press everyting. He's acting like 2 year old.

badger
1/25/2011, 04:33 PM
I guess Uconn can choose to invest their institutional investments (retirement plans etc.) with another managed fund besides Burton's. Maybe alot of other Uconn boosters might do the samd!!

What goes around comes around, as they say.

If that were to actually happen that would be funny.

And while I'll never see $3 mil in my lifetime, it is kind of a chump change amount to be declared the biggest football booster in a D-1 program. I mean, that's less than what Stoops makes in a season :D

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:36 PM
Burton knew it would go public and said so in his letter that he will tell the press everyting. He's acting like 2 year old.

Threatening to go public is pretty Busch League, I admit.

OUEngr1990
1/25/2011, 04:36 PM
My only thought is if I had that kinda money to throw around I certainly would not spend it on UConn football program..even if i did go to school there..:rolleyes:

Sooner_Tuf
1/25/2011, 04:37 PM
If I were Uconn I would have Hathaway's name on that sports complex before sunset.

Obviously the guy is upset. I'm not sure why he is so upset if he really didn't believe he had the right to make the decision himself. Because that is what it sounds like he expected.

He was donating all of the money all during Hathaway's tenure. He didn't pull out when Edsall did. He only pulled out when he didn't get his way.

He is coming across as very vindictive and by not standing by his past pledges he is making his word look not so good either. Hell he is punishing the Business School also, which pretty makes sure we all know he is having a tantrum.

I wish him luck getting his 3+ million back. If Uconn finds another big donor I am sure they find another use for the money than to pay back Burton. I wouldn't donate to cover another guys donation and I don't think anyone else would either.

KantoSooner
1/25/2011, 04:37 PM
Meh, he's a venture capitalist with a background in publishing. sort of the worst of all worlds: entitled and loud. Ignore him.

Sooner_Tuf
1/25/2011, 04:43 PM

I don't know how you know it is his right. It might be contractually but I don't think any of that has been released. If this goes to court and there is not a clause that specifically covers this I think you will find it is not his right to get a refund for a donation.

I think that is a pretty moot point as it is stated in the letter that Burton is intending to go public and do everything he can to destroy Hathaway. Hathaway is probably smart to release this tirade as he received it if he believes there is no working things out with Burton.

The school doesn't have much to gain by letting Burton attempt to strong arm them after the fact. The whole thing is pretty bizarre.

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 04:47 PM
If I were the AD I'd tell this doosh to **** off.... of course it'd be easier if I hadn't just hired Paul Pasqualoni, but.... lol

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:51 PM
I don't know how you know it is his right. It might be contractually but I don't think any of that has been released. If this goes to court and there is not a clause that specifically covers this I think you will find it is not his right to get a refund for a donation.

I said that it was his right to request it.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:52 PM
If I were Uconn I would have Hathaway's name on that sports complex before sunset.

Obviously the guy is upset. I'm not sure why he is so upset if he really didn't believe he had the right to make the decision himself. Because that is what it sounds like he expected.

He was donating all of the money all during Hathaway's tenure. He didn't pull out when Edsall did. He only pulled out when he didn't get his way.

He is coming across as very vindictive...

Wouldn't putting Hathaway's name on the sports complex be considered vindictive?

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 04:55 PM
If I were the AD I'd tell this doosh to **** off....

Yeah, ask Leach how that strategy works out. :D

NorCal Sooner
1/25/2011, 04:57 PM
1) Burton will not get his money back.

2) The AD and new coach will not be fired any time soon.

3) The UConn president had to have approved the new coach hire and is unlikely to write any letter of apology to Burton.

4) Having large amounts of money doesn't make you a football expert. However, an AD is supposed to be an expert.

5) UConn is under no obligation to consult Burton on any University hiring.

6) Burton's name will be removed from the building unless there is some contract stating that that name will remain (he still will not get his cash back)

Wishboned
1/25/2011, 05:00 PM
$7 million? He wants input on hiring decisions and he only paid $7 million?

T Boone paid over 50 times that.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

badger
1/25/2011, 05:01 PM
Remember a few years back Mizzou had someone's name on a building after a donor and removed it because she was cheating academically or did some type of embarrassing thing? I don't think there were any refunds involved in taking the name off the building.

I think this loudmouth going off on the university might have the same grounds to remove the name... possibly without a refund. Win-win for the huskies.

EDIT: This (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2004-11-24-walmart-heiress-arena_x.htm) is what I was referring to. Stupid wal mart heirs :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 05:01 PM
1) Burton will not get his money back.

2) The AD and new coach will not be fired any time soon.

3) The UConn president had to have approved the new coach hire and is unlikely to write any letter of apology to Burton.

4) Having large amounts of money doesn't make you a football expert. However, an AD is supposed to be an expert.

5) UConn is under no obligation to consult Burton on any University hiring.

6) Burton's name will be removed from the building unless there is some contract stating that that name will remain (he still will not get his cash back)

Yep, that is pretty much how it will all work out, although I think the Board of Regents probably approved the hire, not the president.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 05:03 PM
Remember a few years back Mizzou had someone's name on a building after a donor and removed it because she was cheating academically or did some type of embarrassing thing? I don't think there were any refunds involved in taking the name off the building.

Walmart heiress?

I would think that if having a name on the building is part of the deal, you have to honor it.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2011, 05:06 PM
Ruh roh, you all have to read the whiny letter too. Here it is!!!! (http://www.theday.com/assets/pdf/NL79484125.PDF)

personal and confidential lololololololol :D

Why doesn't he have a job in the NFL with THOSE qualifcations???

7 million, seems awful low to RUN and VET a D1 football program and have the AD genuflect to you...

Man, who gave him a wedgie???

usaosooner
1/25/2011, 05:16 PM
bad jojo for this guy..

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:19 PM
So, is it more the fact that their largest donor only gave 7 million that they suck, or is it that they suck so bad that their largest donor only gave 7 million dollars?

Pricetag
1/25/2011, 05:47 PM

Didn't you read the part about how he was a player/captain, a 99th-round NFL pick, a graduate assistant, and knew more coaches than most ADs?

He also said that to be successful, you have to think out of the box and recruit places like Florida and Texas. The guy obviously knows his stuff.

jumperstop
1/25/2011, 05:50 PM
He also said that to be successful, you have to think out of the box and recruit places like Florida and Texas. The guy obviously knows his stuff.

When we were at the BCSCG in 2008 there were billboards for Rutgers in Miami. I don't think this is a new or novel idea...:)

finster
1/25/2011, 07:08 PM
How the hell do you work "My personal friend Dr. Billy Graham" into this self-important diatribe without realizing, Maybe I am a ******?

Sooner_Tuf
1/25/2011, 08:26 PM
Wouldn't putting Hathaway's name on the sports complex be considered vindictive?

Maybe by an idiot. Burton is not the victim here.

AlbqSooner
1/25/2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah, ask Leach how that strategy works out. :D

Nahhh, I think I will ask Craig James.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 09:26 PM
Burton is not the victim here.

You'd make him a victim by insulting him like that.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 09:27 PM
Nahhh, I think I will ask Craig James.

He's still employed.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 09:28 PM
How the hell do you work "My personal friend Dr. Billy Graham" into this self-important diatribe without realizing, Maybe I am a ******?

And we can call Dr. Graham and confirm this reference, right? :D

Judge Smails
1/25/2011, 09:36 PM
His original letter said "My personal friend Dr. Billy Graham wanted us to drive to your house and slash your tires and TP your house, but I elected to take the high road and write this letter instead."

FirstandGoal
1/25/2011, 10:41 PM
So he's pizzed because he thinks that without his input, the AD won't think to try to recruit the state of *.

Heh, I think he should ask Mack just how well having a bunch of kids from * worked for them this season. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 11:09 PM
Sure, UConn can recruit Texas, but all they will get are the occasional two-star players. They can get that in the Northeast.

And how are they going to recruit Florida? Any Florida player stepping off the plane in CT in winter is going to wonder what the Hell he was thinking.

New Jersey would be a better recruiting ground, and it has a lot of players.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 11:21 PM
BTW, it is naive to stamp "Personal and Confidential" to correspondence sent to a state institution.

And under no circumstances should he speak for others, as he did when he claimed that Randy Edsall left on account of the AD's managerial skills.

His biggest mistake is made by a lot of angry complainers. He took the opportunity to make the AD feel bad about not keeping him in the loop and instead made the AD feel indignant. If he had kept it short, mentioned that he was hurt by the AD's disregard for his view, and stated that he was likely going to pull out of future support for the program, he might have received a sincere apology. Instead, he made the AD think, "Good riddance."

The AD needs to be careful how he responds. A simple, "I feel badly that you were hurt by our decision-making process, but we must stand by our choice" would probably suffice.

sooner518
1/26/2011, 12:44 AM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 12:52 AM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

As much as we rag on him, Helander's note is far more rational than Burton's. Ole Mr. Burton probably should have slept on it a while longer before deciding to mail his letter.

Seamus
1/26/2011, 02:10 AM
http://hammerpress.cmail1.com/ei/y/b7/3f7/91a/wwwhammerpressnet/newsletters/03-04-2009/img_2dollars.jpg

P.S.: Leroy, what's the over/under on posts you're shooting for in this thread?

MI Sooner
1/26/2011, 06:37 AM
The AD should respond the same way (http://www.clevescene.com/64-and-counting/archives/2010/12/22/absolutely-epic-1974-letter-from-cleveland-browns-to-a-fan) the Brown's chief counsel did.

badger
1/26/2011, 11:11 AM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become UConn's top football donor, I started the football complex, I had a $7 million donor money rating based on real money not betting over a bunch of seasons and box tickets, in the last coaching search I can see this UConn is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other colleges which I believe have at least equivalent business schools without the non-inclusive-in-football-coaching-searches environment. I am taking my money elsewhere.

Robert Burton
CEO
Burton Capital Management.

:D

setem
1/26/2011, 11:14 AM
I am not saying he should have been asked if it was cool to hire the new coach but he should have been able to voice his opinion.

From what I read about the guy, he is keeping UCONN going strong. With all the scholarships and students he sends to the school. His voice should at least be heard.

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 11:17 AM
I am not saying he should have been asked if it was cool to hire the new coach but he should have been able to voice his opinion.

From what I read about the guy, he is keeping UCONN going strong. With all the scholarships and students he sends to the school. His voice should at least be heard.

He had a legitimate gripe, and then handled it badly.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2011, 11:39 AM
Sounds like homeboy moved home to coach a last round...

Scott D
1/26/2011, 11:46 AM
Apparently the university president is OK with it or else it wouldn't have happened.

He probably treats the concept of a football program much the way OU treats the concept of currently having a men's basketball program ;)

BOB LABLAW
1/26/2011, 11:51 AM
This is why the NCAA will never be able to get a "Rooney Rule" going similar to the NFL. In the NFL, teams have sole ownership (or at least a president, in the case of the Packers), but schools have tons of boosters that demand that their voice be heard in exchange for their donations.

The booster complaining publicly about not being heard is just snicker-worthy though. And there's no way in hell he's getting his money back.

Rooney rule keeps the fire stoked under racism. Like Jackson and Sharpton.

Pricetag
1/26/2011, 12:26 PM

IMO, any time you can get an audience with the athletics director at an NCAA Division 1 school, your opinion is definitely voiced. He claims he didn't expect veto power, but his temper tantrum suggests otherwise.

I don't get the idea of gifts that come bundled with expectation of returns, but maybe that's just me.

Sooner_Tuf
1/26/2011, 12:33 PM
I don't get the idea of gifts that come bundled with expectation of returns, but maybe that's just me.

Never bought dinner for a woman?

StoopTroup
1/26/2011, 12:36 PM
I wonder how much Boone has to give to get rid of Gundy? Maybe all it takes is to make a call to stoolwater and say...I think we need a new HC. Then not return calls to them for 15 to 20 minutes.

Pricetag
1/26/2011, 12:49 PM
:D I never kicked any of them out of my car for not blowing me while simultaneously telling them what a true romantic I was, though.

Widescreen
1/26/2011, 12:55 PM

The guy admits to already giving his opinion in their initial conversation so he had already voiced it.

He probably treats the concept of a football program much the way OU treats the concept of currently having a men's basketball program ;)
Their president is a woman you sexist jerk.

Sooner_Tuf
1/26/2011, 12:58 PM
:D I never kicked any of them out of my car for not blowing me while simultaneously telling them what a true romantic I was, though.

Heck no, getting them in the car is half the battle :D

badger
1/26/2011, 01:02 PM

Funny, cuz when a chick buys a dude dinner, there's absolutely no expectation of any return

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 01:05 PM
The guy admits to already giving his opinion in their initial conversation so he had already voiced it.

The problem was UConn's choice, a man that Burton not only felt was mediocre but could have had some ill feelings toward his son.

I can see why Burton was upset. Still...

Scott D
1/26/2011, 05:04 PM

Their president is a woman you sexist jerk.

ok, so we now know she values the Football program even less than the Water Polo program, and all else is minor compared to Geno's program ;)

badger
1/26/2011, 05:11 PM
Silly thought: Maybe they were sick of their donor and wanted a send a clear and definite message that he and his money were no longer welcome at UConn.

Doesn't it make sense? Aside from potentially sicking their football program with a mediocre coach, they hired a guy that this annoying d00shebag (if that letter is any indication) was sure to hate and not endorse.

There was no better way to give this donor the bird :D

Dio
1/26/2011, 05:30 PM
Didn't the donor want to hire Steve "Dive" Addazio?

Pricetag
1/26/2011, 07:15 PM
Judging by his delusional opinion of Connecticut football, he probably wanted Stoops.

Soonerfan88
1/26/2011, 08:43 PM
Here is Wiki's info on on Pasqualoni's years at Syracuse:

Pasqualoni was an assistant at Syracuse from 1987 until 1991, when he was promoted to head coach after the position was vacated by Dick MacPherson, who left for the NFL to coach the New England Patriots. The Orange (then known as the Orangemen) enjoyed a number of successful years with Pasqualoni at the helm. The team won the Fiesta Bowl over Colorado in 1992 and defeated Clemson 41-0 in Gator Bowl in 1995, Donovan McNabb's freshman year. The team had a 6-3 record in bowl games under Pasqualoni. Pasqualoni's 14-year record with Syracuse was 107-59-1. His only losing season was in 2002 with a 4-8 record. Most seasons of his tenure saw Syracuse competing in the Top 25 in the country.

While coach of the Orangemen, Pasqualoni's roots in Connecticut led him to recruit many star players from Connecticut high schools, including Bloomfield's Dwight Freeney, New Britain's Tebucky Jones and the McIntosh brothers from Cheshire High School.

At the conclusion of the 2004 season the team lost the Champs Sports Bowl 51-14. New athletic director Daryl Gross fired Pasqualoni on December 29, 2004, despite the fact that Syracuse's president, Nancy Cantor, publicly stated that Pasqualoni would be on the sidelines the next season.[5] He was replaced by Greg Robinson, who had been serving as the defensive coordinator at the University of Texas. During the 2005 season, the first season in 14 years without Pasqualoni leading the team, the Orange football team posted a record of 1-10, the worst record in the 117-year history of Syracuse University football.

Other than his son obviously not being a coach's pet, exactly why does this guy think it was such a horrible hire?

finster
1/26/2011, 09:34 PM
Musta put little Richie Rich in the shed.

Leroy Lizard
1/27/2011, 03:25 AM
Silly thought: Maybe they were sick of their donor and wanted a send a clear and definite message that he and his money were no longer welcome at UConn.

Doesn't it make sense?

No.

Moving on...

Leroy Lizard
1/27/2011, 03:29 AM
Here is Wiki's info on on Pasqualoni's years at Syracuse:

Other than his son obviously not being a coach's pet, exactly why does this guy think it was such a horrible hire?

He looks upon the coach as a guy whose recruiting base is too restricted to the northeast.

IOW, he wanted Urban Meyer. :rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
1/27/2011, 09:37 AM

Doesn't it make sense? Aside from potentially sicking their football program with a mediocre coach, they hired a guy that this annoying d00shebag (if that letter is any indication) was sure to hate and not endorse.

There was no better way to give this donor the bird :D

you're right, that is a "silly thought" this morning's DMN has a small article
that says they want to keep him as a booster, on good terms. they have had phone conversations with him.

JMHO no school wants to get rid of a booster who can give as much as 7 mil.

badger
1/27/2011, 12:06 PM
Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing by having LL on ignore. Then again... zzzzzzzzz

It's good that UConn is trying to make amends. It's never good to leave a rich boy angry, especially one that is probably going to have a media audience whenever he wants it with this hot story right now. :rolleyes:

sooner518
2/12/2011, 10:50 AM
Apparently UConn was able to mend the fences with the guy:

Robert Burton Ends Dispute with UConn

STORRS, Conn. -- A donor who demanded the return of $3 million from the University of Connecticut because he was unhappy with the hiring of its new football coach has agreed to let the school keep the money, university officials said Friday.

Robert Burton and the university agreed to move past their differences after UConn Board of Trustees Chairman Larry McHugh met with him and his family, McHugh said in a news release.

"I felt that it was important to pay a visit to them and have a dialogue," McHugh said. "I am very pleased that in a very short period of time he and his family were able to reconnect with UConn, recognizing all the good UConn does for its students and our state."

Burton, chief executive officer of Greenwich, Conn.-based Burton Capital Management, complained in a Jan. 19 letter to UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway that his opinions were ignored in the process leading to the selection of Paul Pasqualoni as coach. He said he wanted the school to return $3 million in donations and remove his family name from its football complex.

In a statement released by the university, Burton said he reconsidered after university officials including incoming president Susan Herbst reached out to him.

"I have been reflecting on it and came to the conclusion that I'm not going to let one experience change the relationship my family and I have with UConn. We love the university, we're proud of our association with it and it is going to continue," he said.

Burton, a printing industry executive, received an honorary doctorate degree from the University of Connecticut in 2000. He and his family have given more than $7 million in donations for scholarships and other programs, including $2.5 million in 2002 to kick off construction of the football complex.

His son, Joe, played for Pasqualoni at Syracuse from 1997 to 2001 and another son, Michael, played at UConn for former coach Randy Edsall in 1999.

Leroy Lizard
2/12/2011, 11:06 AM
Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing by having LL on ignore. Then again... zzzzzzzzz

If he has me on ignore, why does he feel the need to jabber about it? Weird.

BTW, UConn's recruiting was horrid this year -- one of the worst recruiting seasons in the country.

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 11:14 AM

It's good that UConn is trying to make amends. It's never good to leave a rich boy angry, especially one that is probably going to have a media audience whenever he wants it with this hot story right now. :rolleyes:

today's DMN said "rich boy" is OK with uconn keeping the 3 mil.

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 11:17 AM
today's DMN said "rich boy" is OK with uconn keeping the 3 mil.

whoops, missed the above post by sooner518.

Soonerfan88
2/12/2011, 11:57 AM
So basically, his lawyer told him there is no way in hell he's getting his money back so he's trying to make it sound like he's the good guy here and playing nice with UConn again.

Dooshbag...

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 12:20 PM
not knowing any different, i'm gonna assume he is the good guy.

has given 7 mil to school, a little above average.

Leroy Lizard
2/12/2011, 05:06 PM
More likely he caught some flak from friends and reevaluated his stance. Sometimes we do things in haste and need to grow up a little.

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 05:13 PM
More likely he caught some flak from friends and reevaluated his stance. Sometimes we do things in haste and need to grow up a little.

if he can give away 7 mil, i'll give him a little credit for already being "grown-up".