PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2011, 11:06 PM
Murray measured in at an even 6' ,214 lbs...legs looked good and thick
Murray, who is a one-cut runner, looked pretty good today..got outside a couple of times

Beal measured at 6'2 268...I think this week may knock him down a few notches in the draft. Tried practicing with his hand on the ground today and didn't look very good..balance was off and not many pass rush moves...was just worked over today by some good tackles.

Quentin Carter was 6' 211...Showed better hips than what I thought he had today..possibly the best day by a North team DB..

Kendall Hunter from OSU measured 5'7 and 199...Looked better than Murray today in all of the drills. Showed some good speed

Curly Bill
1/24/2011, 11:07 PM
Just wait until Leroid comes along to tell ya how wrong ya are! :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2011, 11:16 PM
BTW Noel Devine weighed in at a whopping....160 lbs...Legs looked seriously frail...He may have just pushed himself out of the draft

Nevada QB looked pretty good, Locker looked OK at times, but then would do something pretty stupid...Throws too high, which is probably due to his front leg placement

usaosooner
1/25/2011, 12:08 AM
Beal looked very unbeal like today.. Hope he picks it up

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 02:14 AM
Murray, who is a one-cut runner, looked pretty good today..got outside a couple of times

Beal measured at 6'2 268...I think this week may knock him down a few notches in the draft. Tried practicing with his hand on the ground today and didn't look very good..balance was off and not many pass rush moves...was just worked over today by some good tackles.

Quentin Carter was 6' 211...Showed better hips than what I thought he had today..possibly the best day by a North team DB..

Kendall Hunter from OSU measured 5'7 and 199...Looked better than Murray today in all of the drills. Showed some good speed

You are so wrong. You couldn't be more wronger.

SoonerDan74012
1/25/2011, 02:32 AM
You are so wrong. You couldn't be more wronger.

Would have to agree with Leroy on this which may be the only time you will ever see me agree with him on anything. This is what Todd McShay thought of DeMarco. Sounds like to me he is the best back there. :cool:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl...&id=6055946

Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray

Murray, who measured in at 6 feet and 214 pounds, is lean in the lower body. That could explain why he gets tripped up and goes down too easily. He has to get stronger in his lower body and also needs to learn to run with his legs higher. He's had that problem throughout his career and we saw it today as well. But he has the best burst and was the most explosive of the North running backs. He hit a crease faster than the other backs. During one-on-one passing drills, he looks like a wide receiver. He runs crisp routes, knows how to separate, has strong hands and makes it look effortless. It's obvious he's had more experience than most backs, having worked in the slot and been very involved in the passing game at Oklahoma.

There were a couple times he tried to bounce runs outside when he didn't need to but his quickness and athleticism really stood out today. He used his stiff-arm well and does a good job of not letting defenders get to his body or get a good shot on him. It's too bad Kansas State's Daniel Thomas, who was originally scheduled to be here, didn't make it. We have a slightly higher grade on Thomas and it would have been nice to see the competition. Now, it's Murray's job to prove he's the best back on the North team, with his biggest competition probably coming from Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter.

Right now, without durability concerns, Murray is a late first-round to second-round pick. If he slides, it's because his durability issues at OU are a concern and NFL teams fear they will continue in the NFL.

CowboyMRW
1/25/2011, 08:46 AM
Not being a hater but I seriously doubt Murray goes in the 1st or early second

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 09:07 AM
Will if McShay said that, then I definitely am wrong:rolleyes:

Soonermagik
1/25/2011, 09:10 AM
Q. Carter has been working out at the Drew Brees facility in San Diego. I've seen some raw footage of what he's doing and it's urneal. He's a real freak of an athlete. If he can run a good 40 time he could be a late 1st round or early 2nd round guy. I personally think he will be middle 2nd round with an average 40 time.

I can't speak as much to Murray. I think Murray will scare teams due to being injury prone. His 40 time will also dictate where he goes. I see him being a 3rd round guy.

I hate to say it, but I think Beal falls out of the first 3 rounds. I just don't think he did a lot at OU. The NFL is another animal and he might be moved to a hybrid LB spot in a 3-4 scheme. All of that will be based upon if he's fast enough to do that.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 09:15 AM
Beal is truly a guy without a position. He obviously isn't going to be a DE at the next level, so he is going to have to show some speed and some pass rush skills from the OLB spot at some point.

bmjlr
1/25/2011, 09:18 AM
Q. Carter has been working out at the Drew Brees facility in San Diego. I've seen some raw footage of what he's doing and it's urneal. He's a real freak of an athlete. If he can run a good 40 time he could be a late 1st round or early 2nd round guy. I personally think he will be middle 2nd round with an average 40 time.

I can't speak as much to Murray. I think Murray will scare teams due to being injury prone. His 40 time will also dictate where he goes. I see him being a 3rd round guy.

I hate to say it, but I think Beal falls out of the first 3 rounds. I just don't think he did a lot at OU. The NFL is another animal and he might be moved to a hybrid LB spot in a 3-4 scheme. All of that will be based upon if he's fast enough to do that.

:confused: :confused:

Mad Dog Madsen
1/25/2011, 10:04 AM

Totally agree! 29 career sacks as a 3 year starter are easy to come by these days... :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 10:12 AM
Another note on Carter

In terms of checkout out physically, one guy who has really impressed is Oklahoma safety Quinton Carter, who measures a hair over six feet and a very solid 211 pounds. For a potential strong safety prospect, that is about the ideal size, and Carter showed good hip flexibility in one-on-one coverage drills.

NormanPride
1/25/2011, 11:14 AM
Carter's gonna get paid, and he's going to do well. I'd love for the Pack to pick him up, but we're not hurting for safeties right now.

SoonerDan74012
1/25/2011, 11:27 AM

Hater

Carter's gonna get paid, and he's going to do well. I'd love for the Pack to pick him up, but we're not hurting for safeties right now.

My Cowboys will certainly take a look at him.

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2011, 11:54 AM

:confused: :confused:

Totally agree! 29 career sacks as a 3 year starter are easy to come by these days... :rolleyes:

You guys beat me to it. Just because Beal may not be ideal NFL material is no reflection on his OU contributions. The guy has done nothing but make plays for us since taking the field in '07.

SpankyNek
1/25/2011, 12:03 PM
Beal is truly a guy without a position. He obviously isn't going to be a DE at the next level, so he is going to have to show some speed and some pass rush skills from the OLB spot at some point.

Saw during the practice today, the Marvin Lewis was telling Beal and Casey Matthews that both would practice at OLB tomorrow.

We'll see how that turns out for Beal, as it is likely where he projects.

Sooner_Tuf
1/25/2011, 12:10 PM
Beal will end up on a roster.

OK2U
1/25/2011, 12:23 PM
Monday was weigh-in day and the first practices of the Senior Bowl; some players impressed while others did not carry their weight so well.
Oklahoma running back DeMarco Murray came in at a ripped up 6'0", 215 pounds. He was cut, muscular and completely looked the part.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/584300-2011-nfl-draft-latest-news-and-top-prospects-for-this-years-nfl-draft/entry/44071-2011-nfl-draft-castonozo-murray-and-jordan-impress-at-senior-bowl-weigh-ins

OK2U
1/25/2011, 12:29 PM
DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma: Murray is a dynamic back who gets to top speed in a hurry. He runs with good balance and agility between the tackles. Murray looked solid at the weigh-in, but it appears that he could add 10-15 pounds of muscle in an N.F.L. weight program; that gives him more upside. Murray has cat-like quickness, and can cut back against the grain to find a hole. His field vision is elite, and he showed the ability to set up defenders at the second level before crossing the line of scrimmage
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/day-1-of-n-f-l-s-unofficial-convention-the-senior-bowl/?src=twrhp

OK2U
1/25/2011, 12:34 PM
@Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter) RT @RapSheet (http://twitter.com/RapSheet): Made mistake of shaking hands w/ Oklahoma RB Demarco Murray. Dude almost broke my hand ... Must be Okla RB thing. AP's brutal.
AP?!

SoonerDan74012
1/25/2011, 01:04 PM
@Adam_Schefter RT @RapSheet: Made mistake of shaking hands w/ Oklahoma RB Demarco Murray. Dude almost broke my hand ... Must be Okla RB thing. AP's brutal.

AD must have taught him. ;)

CobraKai
1/25/2011, 02:41 PM

Hater.

:)

I tend to agree. I love DM, but given his injury history I'm not sure how high he goes. I would be shocked if he dropped below 2 to early 3, but I'm not sure he goes #1. Hopefully I'm wrong, because he seems to be a genuinely solid dude and gave a lot to the program. I'd love to see him rewarded.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/25/2011, 02:54 PM
I tend to agree. I love DM, but given his injury history I'm not sure how high he goes. I would be shocked if he dropped below 2 to early 3, but I'm not sure he goes #1. Hopefully I'm wrong, because he seems to be a genuinely solid dude and gave a lot to the program. I'd love to see him rewarded.

AD had an "injury history" as well. I think he's done pretty good so far...

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2011, 03:21 PM
Murray's receiving skills will keep him from going too far down the draft list. He is also a good blocker in pass protection.

Scott D
1/25/2011, 03:23 PM
AP?!

you questioning Allen Patrick's ability to shake hands?

OK2U
1/25/2011, 03:27 PM
Allen Patrick had one of the best best shakes in the Stoops era, until it was called back on a holding penalty

Scott D
1/25/2011, 03:30 PM
Allen Patrick had one of the best best shakes in the Stoops era, until it was called back on a holding penalty

****ing Loadholt ;)

Widescreen
1/25/2011, 03:38 PM
Allen Patrick had one of the best best shakes in the Stoops era
Ima let you finish...

cccasooner2
1/25/2011, 03:55 PM

Allen Patrick was very talented but the NFL recognized that his onside kick recovery skills went largely unnoticed on the field.

Okie35
1/25/2011, 03:58 PM

I don't think it will because he's moving to OLB in the NFL in a 3-4. Plus he still has the combine. I think he'll barely have to put his hand down at the next level. He'll be a rushing OLB. I know a few GB fans that hope they draft him because they don't think they'll resign Jenkins.

Okie35
1/25/2011, 04:00 PM

I didn't even see you write that, my bad :P. That's true though, I think Beal will excel in the NFL for 2 reasons. He's a hard worker and he has great technique.

Breadburner
1/25/2011, 04:16 PM

Who gives a **** what you think.....******....

adoniijahsooner
1/25/2011, 04:29 PM
It never amazes me how quick some are to be-downgrade players.

OK2U
1/25/2011, 04:51 PM
Oklahoma’s Jeremy Beal is a complete headache for offensive tackles, and he got the better of Solder once or twice due to his relentless nature.He’s not a natural athlete, and he’s limited in that area, but he’s a worker who won’t ever quit on a play.
http://draftzoo.com/2011/01/senior-bowl-day-2-morning-practice-report/

OK2U
1/25/2011, 04:52 PM
Oklahoma’s DeMarco Murray was very decisive today. He finds the hole in a hurry and wastes no time slipping through. He’s an excellent receiver out of the backfield and his versatility will get him drafted early enough, but he was much more sudden through the line today than I’ve seen, and he ran with a lot of purpose. He consistently reached the second level in team drills, and I came away impressed.
http://draftzoo.com/2011/01/senior-bowl-day-2-morning-practice-report/

Boomer.....
1/25/2011, 05:02 PM
Murray seems to be running like he did when he was a freshman. I miss that Murray.

NormanPride
1/25/2011, 05:08 PM
Murray was a huge reason why we were as good as we were this year. We will miss him dearly.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 05:11 PM
Hmmm..Its amazing how everybody can see the same thing differently..

On running plays, Beal had a difficult time today...and his pass rush is stunted if his first move doesn't work..Castanzo, who is a 1st round pick, had his way with Beal...Looking forward to watching him work at OLB.

Murray looked good out of the backfield...He is a great back on the screen passes, because of his patience.

Carter had another good day, but dropped some potential INTs...coverage is looking good through 2 days.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 05:13 PM
The thing about Murray is exactly how elusive can he be at the next level? He is a patient runner, but at some point, you have to make plays and cause a guy to miss you..Being a one-cut runner, I think thats what keeps him at a 3rd round pick, more than durability issues.

More about Beal..Don't get me wrong, he got the upper hand a few times today, which was much better than yesterday...he just seemed to disappear in the run game today and the other thing I mentioned about him not being successful when his first move didnt work

Mad Dog Madsen
1/25/2011, 05:16 PM
Demarco will not slip past the second round... I guarantee you that.

Curly Bill
1/25/2011, 05:17 PM
STEP says 3rd round, then it's 3rd round! :D

...and besides, I actually do agree with 3rd round for DM.

Okie35
1/25/2011, 05:23 PM

Yea mid 2nd/early 3rd in my opinion. Either way I think he'll be a steal.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 05:25 PM
He did take a step forward today while Kendall Hunter took a couple of steps back..DM supplanted him today as the best RB on the North team...We'll see what tomorrow holds..

This is just senior RBs going this week..There is a whole list of underclassmen RBs for him to contend with that are right there with him as a runningback..

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 05:27 PM
BTW guys, Im not guessing on how good a pro a guy will be, I'm thinking about where he will be drafted. There are guys that I think will be drafted early that probably won't have good pro careers..

Jake Locker had a good day today...Couple of things about Locker

He struggles in the pocket with passes sailing
On the move, his compact and arm release with his athletic ability is pretty impressive

Curly Bill
1/25/2011, 05:28 PM
I think DM can be a good situational back for someone. A solid backup at the RB spot, who can help in the return game, and be a really good back to put out there in passing situations.

I don't think he's the next AD.

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2011, 05:53 PM

Maybe we should have a pole on this :D

I say 2nd round because his skill in the passing game is not that common coming out of college, but extremely valuable in the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 05:56 PM
I'd rather not poll it, especially at this point when the combine hasn't happened :)

Curly Bill
1/25/2011, 05:57 PM
Maybe we should have a pole on this :D

I say 2nd round because his skill in the passing game is not that common coming out of college, but extremely valuable in the NFL.

Maybe so, but do you draft a running back in the first two rounds because he can catch? A WR yes, I just think top 2 rounds is too high to draft a RB if you think his main contribution is going to be in the passing game.

But if I'm proven wrong, then congrats to DM, he was/is a helluva Sooner. :D

SoonerDan74012
1/25/2011, 06:48 PM
I think DM can be a good situational back for someone. A solid backup at the RB spot, who can help in the return game, and be a really good back to put out there in passing situations.

The Rams need a backup. :D

CobraKai
1/25/2011, 06:55 PM
AD had an "injury history" as well. I think he's done pretty good so far...

I'm not saying he won't be a good pro. Just that his injuries may affect his draft. Do you think AD's "injury history" had no impact on his draft?

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2011, 07:18 PM
Maybe so, but do you draft a running back in the first two rounds because he can catch?.. :D

I would if it is because he can *also* catch. I think we underestimate his running skills here, but we'll see. But I'm not a GM and no doubt have a crimson tint in my glasses.

cccasooner2
1/25/2011, 07:39 PM
Chuck Foreman had a pretty good NFL career with the type of skills DM has.

SoonerDan74012
1/25/2011, 07:43 PM
How about a flashback. Steve Sewell for the Broncos.

sperry
1/25/2011, 08:37 PM
Murray is one of the best pass-catching RBs I've ever seen, so he will certainly make in the NFL as a third down back. I don't think he has been an elite runner since his freshman season, adn I don't see him being an every down back in the NFL. Would do well in Minnesota in the roll Chester Taylor used to play.

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2011, 09:23 PM
How about a flashback. Steve Sewell for the Broncos.

Yes, except DM is an athletic freak compared to Steve Sewell. So many folks think DM lost a lot since his freshman year, but i think it has more to do with going no huddle in '08. Our O-line has no explosion for run blocking after hustling to the line or sitting in their stance for 90 plays. I look for DM to surprise at the combines.

SoonerDan74012
1/25/2011, 09:33 PM
Yes, except DM is an athletic freak compared to Steve Sewell. So many folks think DM lost a lot since his freshman year, but i think it has more to do with going no huddle in '08. Our O-line has no explosion for run blocking after hustling to the line or sitting in their stance for 90 plays. I look for DM to surprise at the combines.

I agree completely. What I really like from reading all these reports is that he is showing that explosion and agility that we all witnessed his freshman year despite the weight increase. I would love it if he somehow ends up in St. Louis. I think Sam would vouch for him. :D :D :D

OUthunder
1/25/2011, 09:35 PM

Maybe like Westbrook was for the Eagles during his prime.

Soonermagik
1/25/2011, 09:39 PM
Maybe I'm not giving Beal enough credit. However, where was the DE line pressure this year??? Too many games he just disappeared. The NFL is looking for fast dominant players that can take over. You know, the Jared Allen, J. Peppers & Mario Williams types. Beal doesn't have their size or speed. Like I said, I see him as a hybrid LB player if he can be quick enough.

Do you think Beal is that dominant type of player? Do you really think he's going to get pressure in the NFL? I watched him struggle at times against average college talent. Don't get me wrong, at times he could get after guys, but never on a consistent basis. I'm objective, especially when seeing if a guy can get to the next level. Hybrid LB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Dominant DE's are just hard to come by. Hence, I think he's a later round guy. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

pappy
1/25/2011, 10:07 PM
I would like to see Murray with either the Colts, Eagles or Patriots because of the way they use their rb's...their starters rarely get 20 carries but always get passes thrown their way...I see murray going early 3rd round but think he can be a 1,000 yard rusher 500 yard receiver in the NFL if put in the right situation.

Here is an article on Demarco Murray and Kendall Hunter

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlcAXxhgkB_gsD6xm3l9tZBDubYF?slug=ys-murrayvshunter012511

Curly Bill
1/25/2011, 10:58 PM
Maybe like Westbrook was for the Eagles during his prime.

Hey, why not? That wouldn't be too bad at all. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 11:07 PM
Looks like I have been invited to take part in a draft radio show and podcast...If you guys want to hear me make a fool out of myself, I'll post the info whenever I get it.

Curly Bill
1/25/2011, 11:12 PM
Looks like I have been invited to take part in a draft radio show and podcast...If you guys want to hear me make a fool out of myself, I'll post the info whenever I get it.

Will Leroid be appearing on this with you? :P

soonerinkaty
1/25/2011, 11:15 PM

Congrats!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2011, 11:31 PM

Im sure it would be quite entertaining

SoonerLB
1/25/2011, 11:32 PM
Heck yeah step, it's not above me to watch or listen to a man make a fool out of himself! ;) (Glad ya got the gig man, good luck!) :)

Breadburner
1/25/2011, 11:32 PM

Would only be one fool on the show.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/26/2011, 02:07 AM
Murray seems to be running like he did when he was a freshman. I miss that Murray.I think he became a bit guarded in his effort after he rehabbed from that injury in the TxTech game in '07. It never looked to me like he really cut loose after that. We'll never know for sure. I think he could maybe have gotten a Heisman if he had continued to perform as he did in the early part of the '07 season, his redshirt freshman year.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/26/2011, 09:08 AM
I'm not saying he won't be a good pro. Just that his injuries may affect his draft. Do you think AD's "injury history" had no impact on his draft?

No, it did affect AD's draft status. He slipped a whole 6 spots from No. 1 overall to No. 7.

NormanPride
1/26/2011, 10:58 AM

Very cool! Can we call in to heckle you?

ouleaf
1/26/2011, 11:07 AM
Thought this was kinda funny....guy wrote little notes about each guys during their weigh-ins...i guess his version of an eyeball test....just thought some of the descriptions were funny and a little gay.

The Kicker/Punter section is particularly funny.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 11:18 AM
Very cool! Can we call in to heckle you?

Please do...Its kind of crazy..I usually have 1 or 2 opportunities to do something every draft season, but its been kind of wild. I received an email this morning asking if I will take over the Big 12 conference for a draft service up in the northeast for the May-April cycle year.

I may have to hire jlew to be my assistant/fluffer.

kelloggOUballa
1/26/2011, 11:40 AM
Anyone able to read this?

http://sdg.scout.com/a.z?s=102&p=2&c=1042827&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http://sdg.scout.com/2/1042827.html

Looks like a pretty interesting article.

Scott D
1/26/2011, 11:48 AM

I hear you make a fool out of yourself every day online already.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 12:00 PM
Anyone able to read this?

http://sdg.scout.com/a.z?s=102&p=2&c=1042827&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http://sdg.scout.com/2/1042827.html

Looks like a pretty interesting article.

I can't read it, but I agree with the statement about being one of the few runningbacks at the SB that can be an every down back...Because the more I watch this group, I think only 3 or 4 of them are even draftable

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 12:00 PM
I hear you make a fool out of yourself every day online already.

im a fool over you

Scott D
1/26/2011, 12:23 PM
im a fool over you

that's why you get the Smurf Pimp Glass from Spencer Gifts.

OK2U
1/26/2011, 01:48 PM
Murray love from our favorite ESPIN knucklehead (video):
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6058763&categoryid=2564308

OK2U
1/26/2011, 01:50 PM
Thought this was kinda funny....guy wrote little notes about each guys during their weigh-ins...i guess his version of an eyeball test....just thought some of the descriptions were funny and a little gay.

The Kicker/Punter section is particularly funny.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php

Beal: Very average with little tone and big butt.
Murray:V-shaped, muscular, and cut.
Q. Carter: Sculpted and muscular! Thick neck. Impressive.

OK2U
1/26/2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.seniorbowl.com/2011_week_files/36.jpg

OK2U
1/26/2011, 01:55 PM
NY Times Interview w/ Murray:http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/q-and-a-with-running-back-demarco-murray/

Q. and A. With Running Back DeMarco Murray By MATT WALDMAN (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/author/matt-waldman/) DeMarco Murray burst onto the national scene his freshman year at the University of Oklahoma with his big-play athleticism. Although a torn hamstring as a sophomore and minor injuries as a junior forced Murray to miss six games as well as a chance to play in the B.C.S. title game, he still ranks sixth in career yardage among Oklahoma runners and he owns the school’s all-purpose yards record. Murray sat down with the Footballguys.com staff writer Matt Waldman after the first day of Senior Bowl practices this week to talk about the craft of playing running back.
MW: One of the strengths I have observed with your game as your career has progressed is your maturity as a decision maker. You now often take what the defense gives you and as a junior and senior you were lowering your pads and getting the tough yards. Because you are a superb athlete it’s easy to rely on that athleticism too much. Watching you play as a freshman, you frequently chose to outrun people to the corner. Can you tell readers when you made the change to your running style?
DM: It pretty much happened when I first got to Oklahoma in the summer and coming into practice…because when you get to college there are another 100 DeMarco Murrays out there. Everybody’s fast, everybody’s strong, but if a person is going to compete at a high level today they have to get better in the weight room, on the football field and in the classroom as well.
I just had the mind-set going in that I wanted to play my first year and I wanted to play all four years when I got there – and I wanted to contribute on special teams. I knew I wasn’t the biggest guy, but I knew that I had a big heart and if I was given an opportunity I was going to shine no matter what. So I just worked really hard.
I also got to see Adrian Peterson for a year there. And he demonstrated how hard he worked – even when he wasn’t getting the ball.
It’s just about hard work and that mind-set of competing.
MW: I would think you saw other players with unbelievable talent who weren’t making that adjustment. They thought that they could outrun everybody and try to make the big play on every play. It sounds like you had a great example with Adrian Peterson to realize that didn’t work all the time.
DM: Yeah, it’s like you said, there’s times where you think you are the fastest guy and you’re going to get outside. Everybody goes through that when you’re learning the game and learning new techniques. There were times in my past where I could have maybe stuck it inside but I stuck it outside…and I was trying to do a little too much at that point.
MW: Talk to me about what you are seeing and reacting to as a runner on any given play: the formation; the defensive keys you’re trying to read before the snap and then after the snap what you’re thinking and reacting to in order to make the play.
DM: I used to read the second-level defenders. At any level (of football) you have to read the 3-technique, the 5 or the 9. When I first got there, I was constantly worried about the second level guys and missing some of my cuts. Most of your yards you make cutting off linemen whether they are in your face or they stay in their gap. You have to watch film and stay the course and be patient. That’s one of the things that my coaches stressed for me.
When I got there, they kept telling me to read the 3-technique, keep reading your down linemen because they will tell you where to go; and once you get to the second level, then just be a player – be an athlete. But you have to read the down lineman and that’s one of the great things about running back, you have to have patience and the skill to press the line of scrimmage and do the things that will benefit the team.
MW: It seems a like running the football is a lot like music. There’s a rhythm to it, a flow, and with practice and watching film is there a point where it just begins to click? Is there a point where you go from thinking too much about technique until it finally becomes second nature?
DM: Yeah, everyone overthinks it sometimes or at some point or another. You just have to relax, slow down and let the game come to you. You have to trust your eyes. Your eyes won’t lie to you. Trust your eyes; trust your keys and trust your technique and it all takes care of itself. The more reps you get can also helps. But for me it’s film that helps me the most. Even mental reps can help you see others’ mistakes so you don’t make them.
MW: Injuries have obviously played an unfortunate part in your college career – which has been a terrific career, nonetheless. I’m curious if you think that your injury as a sophomore contributed to your injuries as a junior due to your body trying to compensate for the original ailment.
DM: I don’t think too much about the idea of compensating. Some say you use your thighs or hamstrings more because your knee hurts. I just think it’s all a part of God’s plan. We have no control over injuries. Its just part of life; you can walk down the street and twist your ankle. I’m just blessed to have had the career I’ve had, be a part of University of Oklahoma history and win as many games as we won as a team.
MW: What is the most important think you’ve learned as a college football player?
DM: That playing the position of running back is not just about running with the football. You have to be able to protect the quarterback. That’s one of the biggest things that was coached at Oklahoma and we worked on it all year as well as catching the football. You want to be an every-down back and not just a first-, second- or third-down back. You want to be a player that the coaches have trust in you to carry the ball as well as catch and block. I just continue to work hard and take pride in blocking for the quarterback and catching the ball.
MW: Last question, who is a peer of yours at the running back position in college football that you enjoy watching play?
DM: I like LaMichael James. He’s a smaller guy. Oregon runs a similar offense, and he runs a lot from the gun. He’s a shifty guy that puts on a show. He’s a playmaker that definitely should be on a lot of people’s minds next year.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 02:23 PM
Murray had another good morning today...He handled Matthews from Oregon pretty easily in blocking drills and continues to show himself the best RB at the SB..

Nate Solder had a bad day and the only player he looked good against was...Jeremy Beal..Jeremy has slid about 20 spots so far this week in a few people's eyes in the draft order.

Widescreen
1/26/2011, 02:30 PM
Murray had another good morning today...He handled Matthews from Oregon pretty easily in blocking drills and continues to show himself the best RB at the SB..

How dare you! That dude that played at Stillwater is twice the RB Murray is. Ask any orange idiot.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 02:31 PM
Looking over some of Beal's work at OLB...just not a lot there either...

I think Q. Carter has looked like the best Safety out there as well...I am very interested to see what 40 time he can put up..If he can get in the 4.5s, then I see possible 2nd round

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 02:33 PM
How dare you! That dude that played at Stillwater is twice the RB Murray is. Ask any orange idiot.

Hunter looked really good in drills on both Monday and today, but Murray has done a great job in about every facet of the workouts.. I think the only thing that scouts may wonder about is exactly how elusive he can be. I think both have helped themselves a lot this week.

Hunter and Murray worked together on KRs today..

SoonerDan74012
1/26/2011, 02:36 PM
Looking over some of Beal's work at OLB...just not a lot there either...

I think Q. Carter has looked like the best Safety out there as well...I am very interested to see what 40 time he can put up..If he can get in the 4.5s, then I see possible 2nd round

I hope the Cowboys are looking at Q. They certainly need help at Safety. If not them then I could see the Rams being a possibility.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 02:37 PM
Cowboys definitely could go safety...Looks like they will not be taking a corner in the 1st round and will look at Dlineman, which there should be a couple of available

nolesooner1984
1/26/2011, 02:38 PM
I wonder what the deal with Beal is. I didn't think he was quite as good last year as he was the year before...anyone else think that?

TMcGee86
1/26/2011, 02:56 PM
Monday was weigh-in day and the first practices of the Senior Bowl; some players impressed while others did not carry their weight so well.
Oklahoma running back DeMarco Murray came in at a ripped up 6'0", 215 pounds. He was cut, muscular and completely looked the part, no homo.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/584300-2011-nfl-draft-latest-news-and-top-prospects-for-this-years-nfl-draft/entry/44071-2011-nfl-draft-castonozo-murray-and-jordan-impress-at-senior-bowl-weigh-ins

fixed

OK2U
1/26/2011, 03:33 PM
more on murray:

2011 Senior Bowl: Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray Getting Good Reviews

Jan 26 2:59p by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/authors/joel-thorman)
There are always a few players every year at the Senior Bowl that elevate their stock with an impressive performance. Last year it was offensive lineman Mike Iupati and this year that guy appears to be Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. Another player who's been getting noticed is Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray.

Here's what Doug Farrar of Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Wednesday-Senior-Bowl-Notes-Morning-Practice?urn=nfl-312852) had to say:
Oklahoma scatback DeMarco Murray had caught my eye before, but I had been reluctant to place a full comparison to Kansas City's Jamaal Charles. on him because I hadn't seen enough inline power and explosion outside after contact. But today, I saw all of that. On one of his trademark quick bounces outside left, Murray took three tacklers with him a good five yards downfield after first contact. He's also showing more and more as a receiver - not just in the flats and quick-up routes you'd expect, but in quick slash cross patterns.
And ESPN's Todd McShay (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/24874/scouting-notes-from-the-senior-bowl), who says he'll have to put on some weight but has looked solid.
But he has the best burst and was the most explosive of the North running backs. He hit a crease faster than the other backs. During one-on-one passing drills, he looks like a wide receiver. He runs crisp routes, knows how to separate, has strong hands and makes it look effortless.
Is it a little early for a Jamaal Charles comparison? Murray is projected to go in the second or third round (and Charles was a third round pick). It sounds like he's helping his draft position already and he still has the NFL Combine, which tends to like explosive players like him.

----

Practice is wrapping up for the day at the 2011 Senior Bowl, and a torrent of commentary should soon follow. For now, here are a few practice reports with some very special TST commentary around the 2011 NFL Draft prospects that just might matter to the St. Louis Rams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/st-louis-rams) when April finally arrives.
I like what I saw from Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray this season, and I think he has some potential to be a nice back paired with Steven Jackson. Matt's report from Draft Daddy said Murray looked good catching screen passes and others have noted that he catches the ball well. It's something to go along with his nice game speed.

SoonerDan74012
1/26/2011, 03:52 PM
DeMarco is beasting!!!!! :cool:

KantoSooner
1/26/2011, 04:52 PM
With the terrible luck he had over the past several years, he deserves a big spring!

swardboy
1/26/2011, 07:10 PM
Would be sweet to see him in St. Louis with Sammy.

Eielson
1/26/2011, 07:31 PM
BTW Noel Devine weighed in at a whopping....160 lbs...Legs looked seriously frail...He may have just pushed himself out of the draft

Wow. I remember him being compared to Barry Sanders when he was a sophomore in high school.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2011, 11:06 PM
It was funny, he tried to wear some different kind of shorts/pants to hide his legs..and he is no longer considered draftable by a most teams

Sooner13
1/27/2011, 12:33 AM
I've read a few comments on here from draft "gurus" about Murray needing to put on weight, as much as 10-15 lbs. The dude measured in at 6' 215 lbs, some of these guys are just absolutely retarded.

yankee
1/27/2011, 12:39 AM
Please do...Its kind of crazy..I usually have 1 or 2 opportunities to do something every draft season, but its been kind of wild. I received an email this morning asking if I will take over the Big 12 conference for a draft service up in the northeast for the May-April cycle year.

I may have to hire jlew to be my assistant/fluffer.

Forget jlew, I would do dirty things to be your assistant for a few months for draft stuff. :D

pappy
1/27/2011, 12:42 AM
I've read a few comments on here from draft "gurus" about Murray needing to put on weight, as much as 10-15 lbs. The dude measured in at 6' 215 lbs, some of these guys are just absoultely retarded.

The ones I've read are saying his lower body needs some work. I don't think he needs 10-15 pounds I think maybe 5 and spread it along with his current weight out a bit more to his legs.

picasso
1/27/2011, 01:00 AM
DM has lean legs because of his injuries. Once cannot build or add bulk with doing squats and such when you've just had your hammy re-attached in the offseason.
It would be interesting to find out how many weeks during his career at OU that leg lifting was out of the question for DM.

Some of these analysts are pure goobers who never played the game.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2011, 09:32 AM
The guys I talked to said DM's legs looked fine...I have read some of the draft people mention it, but of the scouts I talk to, none of them said anything about it.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/27/2011, 10:09 AM
Some of these posters on SoonerFans are pure goobers who never played the game.

:eek: :D

pappy
1/28/2011, 12:10 AM
What time is the Senior Bowl and what channel?

KBoomer11
1/28/2011, 12:15 AM
3 pm kickoff on NFL Network

pappy
1/28/2011, 12:19 AM
cool thanks

OK2U
1/28/2011, 10:34 AM
Oklahoma S Quinton Carter: He looks like the most complete safety here. He can play up in the box as well as in the deep middle or half field. He is smooth in his change of direction and covers a lot of ground when he has to. The Senior Bowl offense he is facing is not complicated and he has had no trouble with his key and diagnose. He's also a solid open-field tackler that understands angles of pursuit. NFL coaches I spoke with really liked what they saw from Carter.
http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/09000d5d81df303e/article/boise-states-young-among-prospects-helping-draft-stock?module=HP_spotlight

KantoSooner
1/28/2011, 11:51 AM
I just saw an article by Matt Bowen that stated flatly that Kendall Hunter was the more NFL ready back compared to Demarco.
I'm not familiar with this Bowen guy, but what he's saying contradicts what I've heard from other observers.
What gives? Anyone with insight?

picasso
1/28/2011, 12:35 PM
Nobody really knows until they actually get out and play in the league.

All of this other stuff is geek fodder.

LiveLaughLove
1/28/2011, 12:59 PM
@Adam_Schefter RT @RapSheet: Made mistake of shaking hands w/ Oklahoma RB Demarco Murray. Dude almost broke my hand ... Must be Okla RB thing. AP's brutal.

Can't stand it when the media isn't dilligent enough to find out thing's like ACTUAL nicknames. Lazy.

But I REALLY can't stand it when some modern day little mamby pamby metrosexual complains about a good strong handshake! I was taught to shake hands by a US Marine when I was 4-5 years old. "Act like a man. Shake hands like a man.", he said.

This limp wristed, makeup wearing, hair dying girl wannabe bunch of bleepity bleep bleeps being raised by over doting, pampering, my-kid-does-no-wrong parents today, makes me want to break their freaking hands when I shake em!!!!

That is all. :)

picasso
1/28/2011, 01:51 PM
Can't stand it when the media isn't dilligent enough to find out thing's like ACTUAL nicknames. Lazy.

But I REALLY can't stand it when some modern day little mamby pamby metrosexual complains about a good strong handshake! I was taught to shake hands by a US Marine when I was 4-5 years old. "Act like a man. Shake hands like a man.", he said.

This limp wristed, makeup wearing, hair dying girl wannabe bunch of bleepity bleep bleeps being raised by over doting, pampering, my-kid-does-no-wrong parents today, makes me want to break their freaking hands when I shake em!!!!

That is all. :)

I'm a fan of the medium handshake. Going all out is a bit silly.

And my old man was a Marine too.;)

kiomanche
1/28/2011, 01:57 PM

Now if Quentin only can learn to tackle!

OK2U
1/28/2011, 02:18 PM

I can't stand it when people don't read through a thread, and post stuff that's been covered already on page 2.
We all have our druthers.

cccasooner2
1/28/2011, 02:38 PM
I can't stand it when people don't read through a thread, and post stuff that's been covered already on page 2.

Glad you mentioned that, I was about to start a post on that very subject.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2011, 04:44 PM
I just saw an article by Matt Bowen that stated flatly that Kendall Hunter was the more NFL ready back compared to Demarco.
I'm not familiar with this Bowen guy, but what he's saying contradicts what I've heard from other observers.

He is definitely in the minority then..

Hunter had a good week...Made some nice plays...Had a day were he struggled blocking but picked it up the next day..fumbled a couple of times but overall did pretty good..

But Murray had a great week...looked great catching passes, pass blocking, and running..

I personally hope Murray doesn't play in the game tomorrow...Its a bigger waste of energy than the pro bowl

SoonerDan74012
1/28/2011, 06:15 PM

If he really believes that then he should choose another profession. He is nowhere near the pass catcher (Hell! No back in this years draft class is better than him at it) and he has a tendency to fumble.

LiveLaughLove
1/28/2011, 10:35 PM

Since I took the quote from your post on page 2, I believe I did read it.

Maybe you thought I got the quote elsewhere, but I got it from you...on page 2.

Collier11
1/28/2011, 10:59 PM
BOOMER!

pb4ou
1/29/2011, 04:22 PM
OUr guys are on the north team aren't they?

pb4ou
1/29/2011, 04:27 PM
Never mind, I just saw Beal

Soonermagik
1/29/2011, 04:42 PM
This may have already been said, but how is Tulsa on the South team and OU is on the North????????????????

OK2U
1/29/2011, 04:48 PM
What number is Murray, Carter and beal?

BusterRhymes86
1/29/2011, 04:53 PM
Stop with the Chan Gailey cam

OK2U
1/29/2011, 04:54 PM
Murray in,#7

SoonerFan918
1/29/2011, 04:56 PM
What number is Murray, Carter and beal?

Murray is 7. Haven't seen Carter or Beal yet.

BusterRhymes86
1/29/2011, 04:57 PM
Just google 2011 Senior bowl and the rosters are on there

SoonerFan918
1/29/2011, 05:05 PM
Beal!

OK2U
1/29/2011, 05:07 PM
Neal in at 45. Penalty I negate in interception.. Cmon Jeremy!

swardboy
1/29/2011, 05:07 PM
DeMarco has only been in one series but got no action.
Beal's been very active...like it.
QB McElroy has acquitted himself surprisingly well....South 17-0.

swardboy
1/29/2011, 05:08 PM
Oh, and Locker has looked like crap.

SoonerMom2
1/29/2011, 05:09 PM
Why is OU part of the North? Know this may have been answered but I don't want to go back and read through six pages. Understand NE being in the North but when did OU move to the North.

Beal stopped the South short of the goal and then on 4th they ran to the other side. Touchdown was set up when NE did a late hit on the quarterback and got a flag.

swardboy
1/29/2011, 05:11 PM
Good run #7

OK2U
1/29/2011, 05:12 PM
Demarco!
Good cary
Flagg

SoonerMom2
1/29/2011, 05:12 PM
DeMarco made a good run but negated because of a hold. MO is in the North as well.

SoonerMom2
1/29/2011, 05:14 PM
Texas is in the South! Two of their players on defense acted like they won the Super Bowl when the MO quarterback missed his receiver. Offensive line is not blocking very well.

silverwheels
1/29/2011, 05:16 PM
Why is OU part of the North? Know this may have been answered but I don't want to go back and read through six pages. Understand NE being in the North but when did OU move to the North.

It's kind of arbitrary. There are players from Tulsa and West Virginia who are on the South roster, but for the most part, players on the South roster are from schools either further south than Norman or from schools who are culturally "Southern." It probably just depends on the distribution of the players' former schools.

pb4ou
1/29/2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, USC? Why on the south team?

Okie35
1/29/2011, 05:33 PM
Oh, and Locker has looked like crap.

The whole offense for the North has looked like crap, mainly the offensive line.

Okie35
1/29/2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, USC? Why on the south team?

For balance pretty much.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/29/2011, 05:45 PM
I think they should switch to SEC Vs. The World

Collier11
1/29/2011, 05:46 PM
we are too slow for that

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/29/2011, 05:48 PM
I know but I want to see a 500-0 score!

Collier11
1/29/2011, 05:53 PM
then play me in Bill Walsh football sucker!

OUthunder
1/29/2011, 05:56 PM
Beal lit that QB up, lol

swardboy
1/29/2011, 06:00 PM
Well, DeMarco's gotten squat out of this game...two carries; one for around 8 yards, another for -1.

CowboyMRW
1/29/2011, 06:12 PM
If yall don't mind me asking, how did Hunter do? I know Hunter and Murray were the top 2 RB's for the North team

gaylordfan1
1/29/2011, 06:15 PM
Carter? Did he even get in?

Collier11
1/29/2011, 06:16 PM
From what ive read around the web, Murray had the best week of practice and that really matters more than the game itself, not sure about Hunter

Al Gore
1/29/2011, 06:21 PM
Locker can't throw.....

kelloggOUballa
1/29/2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, game is kind of meaningless with all the guys rotating in and out. DeMarco and Hunter may get in one more time apiece. I know I'm biased, but even so I don't think there's any question that DeMarco is the better back of the two.

SoonerDan74012
1/29/2011, 06:24 PM
If yall don't mind me asking, how did Hunter do? I know Hunter and Murray were the top 2 RB's for the North team

Like DeMarco he didn't really get to do much. Had a 1-2 yard reception and a 4-5 yard run and that's about it. The North O-line was getting demolished in the first half.

Al Gore
1/29/2011, 06:26 PM
I saw Murray get 2 carries....

7 yard run negated by a holding call

loss because the pulling guard missed his block

swardboy
1/29/2011, 06:29 PM
Now I'm wondering if some NFL coach-types get with these all-star coaches and say, "We've seen what we want to see in drills. If you get so and so hurt we're gonna kill your first-born."

Rocko
1/29/2011, 06:31 PM
Now I'm wondering if some NFL coach-types get with these all-star coaches and say, "We've seen what we want to see in drills. If you get so and so hurt we're gonna kill your first-born."

I think you're on to something.

cccasooner2
1/29/2011, 06:33 PM
Texas is in the South! Two of their players on defense acted like they won the Super Bowl when the MO quarterback missed his receiver. Offensive line is not blocking very well.

According to the talking heads, the North O-line is the best unit ever to play in the Sr. Bowl.

kelloggOUballa
1/29/2011, 06:40 PM
According to the talking heads, the North O-line is the best unit ever to play in the Sr. Bowl.

So we're told. :les:

SoonerDan74012
1/29/2011, 06:45 PM
The North O-Line really, really, really, sucks.

kelloggOUballa
1/29/2011, 06:49 PM
Knew I hadn't seen Q out there today. Great week of practice, pulled a hammy, missed the game.

Okie35
1/29/2011, 06:53 PM
I saw Murray get 2 carries....

7 yard run negated by a holding call

loss because the pulling guard missed his block

They've been calling plays like 80/20 pass/run. Marvin Lewis isn't even out there coaching lol.

TopDawg
1/29/2011, 08:17 PM
Did y'all see that one of the longhorns who wasn't at the game tweeted something along the lines of "Hey [names of the two longhorns who were at the game], how does it feel to finally win a game? lol"

Nice.

picasso
1/29/2011, 11:50 PM
Well, DeMarco's gotten squat out of this game...two carries; one for around 8 yards, another for -1.

Practice is more important than this game.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2011, 10:59 AM
I was expecting Murray to have a "pulled hammy" as well..meaning that Usually after the kind of week that Murray and Carter had, they will be advised not to play in the game..Its the Pro Bowl like I posted earlier..Same with Hunter...

99 percent of the scouts and NFLers are gone by Wednesday night

Eielson
1/30/2011, 11:50 AM
I was expecting Murray to have a "pulled hammy" as well..meaning that Usually after the kind of week that Murray and Carter had, they will be advised not to play in the game..Its the Pro Bowl like I posted earlier..Same with Hunter...

Meaning they did well in practice and wouldn't help their stock by playing?

BoulderSooner79
1/30/2011, 12:45 PM

I took the advice and "pulled a hammy" and didn't watch the game. I let my DVR suffer through it and decided from this thread that I didn't need to :)

ouleaf
1/30/2011, 03:30 PM
Watch the game. Unfortunate that Carter was unable to go. Would have loved to see him get a few series out there. DeMarco was pretty much a non-factor as well. He didn't have his number called many times when he was on the field, plus the offense wasn't really able to sustain any drives while he was in either. Didn't look especially enthused in blocking on special teams either.

Beal, aside from the absolutely massive hit he had on Dalton, he was pretty much man-handled all day. North was running a 4-3 base so and he would alternate LE and RE. Got flagged with a big penalty that negated an INT. Should have gotten flagged for offsides on the Dalton hit too. I hope he goes to a 3-4 team and can play OLB and just speed rush. Not sure if he has the size/strength to be a true hands on the group DE.

Von Miller had a huge game that will definitely up his draft stock even more. Thought the DB from North Carolina had a good game, Burney. WR from TCU Kerley showed some skills. The big WR from Miami had a good game, Hankerson.

Locker did not have a good showing at all. Fumbled twice but was lucky to have them both recovered, accuracy was way off, and just did not show good decision making.

pappy
1/30/2011, 09:18 PM
Ponder looked to be the best qb there. Every time I see Locker play, other then his big arm, I can't see why nfl scouts think he's gonna be so good and deserving of a 1st round grade...if he goes 1st round he will be a bust. I look at him and I see a slimmer, more mobile Jamarcus Russell...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2011, 09:19 PM
Meaning they did well in practice and wouldn't help their stock by playing?

Nobody really helps their stock by playing in the game..If a guy has a crappy week and then rushed for 150 yards in this game, they still have the same grade as they did before the game.

Like I said, almost everybody leaves after the Wednesday practice, because Thursday is little more than a walkthrough..Some light work but nothing much.

This game is more for the locals down there in Alabama and of course gives TV another game.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 09:56 PM
From January 25th..

The thing about Murray is exactly how elusive can he be at the next level? He is a patient runner, but at some point, you have to make plays and cause a guy to miss you..Being a one-cut runner, I think thats what keeps him at a 3rd round pick, more than durability issues.

Demarco will not slip past the second round... I guarantee you that.

Todd McShay...you are also wrong..BOW DOWN!:D

SoonerRoy
4/29/2011, 11:52 PM
Murray was taken in the 3rd round by the Dallas Cowboys.