PDA

View Full Version : remember all the slippin' and slidon' during the MNC game?

Okla-homey
1/24/2011, 11:01 PM
Here's why. New sod laid after the Fiesta that didn't have time to take root. Result? Trying to run and cut on loose carpet. But let's not let that get in the way of making money.

Sometimes I think we ought to end the farce of "amatuerism" and just start paying the players. Hell, everyone else in and around the sport is getting paid.
Even "licensed, souvenir sod sellers."

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011911aaa.html

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 11:30 PM
We go from loose sod to paying players? Wow.

soonerinkaty
1/24/2011, 11:50 PM
If there is a buck to be made, rest assured, it will be exploited.

sooner59
1/24/2011, 11:55 PM
My English Comp II prof told me the previous semester she had Brandon Jones and he wrote a paper on why college athletes should get paid. She thought it was funny. :D

Rocko
1/25/2011, 12:00 AM

I know talk about a slippery slope! Pretty soon we'll have mutant grass man players paying for play!

Edit:

AND THEY'LL LOOK LIKE THIS

http://cghub.com/files/Image/009001-010000/9145/133_realsize.jpg

agoo758
1/25/2011, 12:04 AM

Yeah, and before we know it, these athletes will start to believe that they should be compensated for their work! What do they think this is, the free market?!

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah, and before we know it, these athletes will start to believe that they should be compensated for their work! What do they think this is, the free market?!

Here we go again.

Jason Alexander
1/25/2011, 05:38 AM
I know talk about a slippery slope! Pretty soon we'll have mutant grass man players paying for play!

Edit:

AND THEY'LL LOOK LIKE THIS

http://cghub.com/files/Image/009001-010000/9145/133_realsize.jpg
Yeah, but can he run a 4.4 40?

5noubus
1/25/2011, 08:22 AM
Not sure what one has to do with the other but here's my two cents on both:

Ou was smart enough to bring kinds of cleats just in case it was slippery (as it was on a previous game at the fiesta) live in learn.

Maybe since atheletes have no time to work at all they should earn a stipen or a small work study kind of salary. I can see both sides really., free ride should be enough but maybe not feeling dead broke all the time some might stay their whole 4 or 5 years

SoCaliSooner
1/25/2011, 10:08 AM
Paying players then means every athlete has to get paid for even the programs not making money. From the football players to the crappy womens teams....everybody has to get paid.

TahoeSOONER
1/25/2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but can he run a 4.4 40?

That dude would get killed in the SEC.
:gary:

Jacie
1/25/2011, 12:54 PM
So the point of this thread is, we cannot expect athletes to play on slippery surfaces without compensation.

agoo758
1/25/2011, 01:01 PM
Here we go again.

I know, those pesky little principles of America life sure have a way of invalidating your arguments don't they?

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 03:58 PM
I know, those pesky little principles of America life sure have a way of invalidating your arguments don't they?

Actually, the principles support my argument, since it is a basic tenet of business that you need to keep labor costs down while keeping productivity up. Not paying employees, yet have them showing up to perform, is a good way to do that.

agoo758
1/25/2011, 05:02 PM
Actually, the principles support my argument, since it is a basic tenet of business that you need to keep labor costs down while keeping productivity up. Not paying employees, yet have them showing up to perform, is a good way to do that.

The term for that is called slavery, we and just about every other country outlawed it by the 19th century, unfortunately some institutions, such as college athletics are exempt from that, but it doesn't make it ethical.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2011, 05:04 PM
The term for that is called slavery, we and just about every other country outlawed it by the 19th century, unfortunately some institutions, such as college athletics are exempt from that, but it doesn't make it ethical.

Except slavery is involuntary.

Soonerfan88
1/25/2011, 05:06 PM
Maybe since atheletes have no time to work at all they should earn a stipen or a small work study kind of salary. I can see both sides really., free ride should be enough but maybe not feeling dead broke all the time some might stay their whole 4 or 5 years

That's why they have Pell grants and student loans. Yes, scholarship athletes qualify for both.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/25/2011, 05:07 PM

You're really going to compare college football players to slaves?

Really?

agoo758
1/25/2011, 05:07 PM
Except slavery is involuntary.

Any contract that involves compensation below the minimum wage in this country is considered slavery and therefore illegal, even if one entered into that contract involuntarily.

CORNholio
1/26/2011, 02:42 AM
let's pay them in HS, or Jr high, or pee wee. They are compensated in the NCAA by being given a free education. Something it takes most of us years to pay for. And you are given a chance to prove you are good enough to earn that NFL paycheck. It's like a 3-4 year interview.

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 02:58 AM
Any contract that involves compensation below the minimum wage in this country is considered slavery and therefore illegal, even if one entered into that contract involuntarily.

What about interns? Some of them are not paid at all. (It may be illegal to pay someone below the minimum wage, but it isn't slavery.)

agoo758
1/26/2011, 12:42 PM
What about interns? Some of them are not paid at all. (It may be illegal to pay someone below the minimum wage, but it isn't slavery.)

Coming back to my point, there are certain instances where rules concerning compensation are inconsistant, and they need to be adress

My little brother is an intern in Baton Rouge for David Vitter. He doesn't get paid, but he doesn't mind because it is good experience for him. That is all good and fine, but a private business would NEVER get away with paying one of their employees below the minimum wage, even if the employee was willing to do that, otherwise they would be fined, or even jailed if it was widespread enough.

Now compare that with College Football, not only are players not compensated for their work, but it is also ILLEGAL. Now I know, that the NCAA is not the rule of law in this land, but why do some of us consider paying athletes in exchange for their services to be taboo when that is a core principle of the American economy?

Leroy Lizard
1/26/2011, 01:10 PM
Coming back to my point, there are certain instances where rules concerning compensation are inconsistant, and they need to be adress

My little brother is an intern in Baton Rouge for David Vitter. He doesn't get paid, but he doesn't mind because it is good experience for him. That is all good and fine, but a private business would NEVER get away with paying one of their employees below the minimum wage, even if the employee was willing to do that, otherwise they would be fined, or even jailed if it was widespread enough.

I've done it as a private consultant, but the intern's work was strictly for her benefit. (This wasn't a Monica Lewinsky type of benefit either.)

Athletic departments are not private businesses, of course. They are non-profits, so I don't see how you can claim their activities are illegal.

Pricetag
1/26/2011, 01:55 PM
When Auburn is stripped of the NC, will the folks have to give back the sod?

texaspokieokie
1/26/2011, 06:05 PM
slippin & a slidin, peepin & a hidin

the best of little richard JMHO

85sooners
1/27/2011, 07:09 PM
:gary: