PDA

View Full Version : OU-A&M to the SEC.....again?

adoniijahsooner
1/24/2011, 07:12 PM
Per Tom Dienhart. Interesting, and something I really hope happens.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1180137

"I think this league is doomed with Texas getting its own TV deal. It can't exist like this, with one school having a massive revenue stream the others don't. There already are rumblings of A&M looking at joining the SEC. OU, too. I know if I were OU and A&M, I would bolt for the SEC. The Big 12 will then fall apart, with Texas being an independent and the other schools fighting to be relevant. Can you say "Hello, Mountain West" for KU, MU, OK State, Baylor, KSU and Iowa State?????

swardboy
1/24/2011, 07:14 PM
Would that we would abandon osu.....

Rocko
1/24/2011, 07:19 PM
I think both schools would be in for a culture shock.

oudavid1
1/24/2011, 07:21 PM
WE WILL NEVER ABANDON OKLAHOMA STATE. EVER.

just sayin

Soonermagik
1/24/2011, 07:21 PM
If they don't add 2 more legit teams soon I think the league is doomed. Plus, with the Whorns getting that massive deal it may make OU look elsewhere. OU and A&M to the SEC made sense last time. I, for one, hope it happens after this year.

The only downside to the SEC is how tough it would be keep other rivalry games. It would be hard to schedule a Texas game on top of the already difficult schedule. OSU isn't really a rivalry for OU. When you've won like 90% of the time that's an arse kicking, not a legit rivalry.

Sabanball
1/24/2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, the talk and rumors are starting up again, especially with AM, here's another good read about it from NBC and it also mentions you guys. Evidently, AM in particular are none too happy about the Texas network tv deal. Then again, maybe this is just a trial balloon being floated by the AM PTB's as a negotiating ploy to get in on some of this action. Will be interesting to follow this in the off season...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/24/am-to-sec-rumors-surface-yet-again/related

I still say having the two best college football programs in history both inside the SEC West and playing each other every year would only make us both better.

CowboyMRW
1/24/2011, 07:25 PM
AnM had their chance to be part of the tv network deal with Texas and they said no. I don't think AnM has the balls to leave, plus the SEC isn't looking to expand unless the Pac 10 or Big 10 go to a 16 team league

yermom
1/24/2011, 07:25 PM
saber rattling from A&M IMO

it seems like something crazy would have to happen for the 4 of us to split anytime soon

adoniijahsooner
1/24/2011, 07:27 PM
Yes, the talk and rumors are starting up again, especially with AM, here's another good read about it from NBC and it also mentions you guys. Evidently, AM in particular are none too happy about the Texas network tv deal. Then again, maybe this is just a trial balloon being floated by the AM PTB's as a negotiating ploy to get in on some of this action. Will be interesting to follow this in the off season...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/24/am-to-sec-rumors-surface-yet-again/related

I still say having the two best college football programs in history both inside the SEC West and playing each other every year would only make us both better.

I'm down with that!

adoniijahsooner
1/24/2011, 07:28 PM
AnM had their chance to be part of the tv network deal with Texas and they said no. I don't think AnM has the balls to leave, plus the SEC isn't looking to expand unless the Pac 10 or Big 10 go to a 16 team league

So the sec would turn down oklahoma and a&m? i doubt it.

Sabanball
1/24/2011, 07:30 PM
I think both schools would be in for a culture shock.

Explain...

Blue
1/24/2011, 07:33 PM
I would love it. ROAD TRIPS!

adoniijahsooner
1/24/2011, 07:39 PM
I lived in Tennessee for a few years, and I just loved it. I like the south and respect their passion for their schools

CowboyMRW
1/24/2011, 07:40 PM
So the sec would turn down oklahoma and a&m? i doubt it.

It's not as much as they would turn you down as they don't want to be the first to expand to the 16 team league. They will create a super league if everyone else does but they won't be the first.

Sabanball
1/24/2011, 07:44 PM
As much as I and probably both of our fan bases would like to see this happen, I think your complicated relationship with Texas alone will keep it from ever coming to be--and to me that is the part that I will never understand. You guys could still play them in October and go back to being in separate conferences like you were for so many decades before the 1990's. Also, if I'm an OU recruit, being able to play Texas, Arkansas, and Alabama every year on a national stage would be a huge selling point.

I said this back in the summer and I'll say it again, the benefits of moving to the SEC would far outweigh the negative, IMO...

SoCaliSooner
1/24/2011, 07:54 PM
OU won't be competitive with the SEC. PAC 10 is a better fit even if it makes for longer road games.

Blue
1/24/2011, 07:57 PM
OU won't be competitive with the SEC. PAC 10 is a better fit even if it makes for longer road games.

Instead of playing Texas, we add Alabama and LSU. Those games would be difficult, but Miss st, ole miss, arkie, and Auburn aren't exactly murderers row. I think we could compete.

Soonerfan88
1/24/2011, 07:59 PM
Sorry if I offend Sabanball, but I just don't believe all that "SEC conference is soooo difficult you can't handle it and a good OOC game also" line of BS. It's an excuse for teams like Florida & Auburn to play local patsies and not be called out on it. Yes, the top 4-5 of the SEC is as good or better than any other conference but once you get past them, it's just like everyone else.

The Big 12 South was called the toughest division in D1 for a couple of years but we still scheduled teams like Miami, Oregon, etc. If OU joined the SEC, I would expect us to continue the RRS as an OOC game, just as it was until the last 15 years.

Widescreen
1/24/2011, 08:00 PM
OU won't be competitive with the SEC.

you're funny.

Sabanball
1/24/2011, 08:00 PM

Are you kidding me? OU is an elite program and would compete for titles every year in the SEC.

Partial Qualifier
1/24/2011, 08:10 PM
I think this league is doomed with Texas getting its own TV deal. It can't exist like this, with one school having a massive revenue stream the others don't. Have you seen Univ. of Texas's endowment numbers, Tom?? $300 Mil is a mere pittance. They've always had a financial leg up on everyone else, but they're Texas. They'll continue doing less with more than anyone else

Octavian
1/24/2011, 08:15 PM
OU would be very competitive inside the SEC -- that's not the issue. And the SEC would be awesome in some new rivalries. The Alabama game would become a cherished yearly event for all Sooners. And the Arkansas game would be completely vicious. I also think we'd develop a healthy dislike of Tennessee and continue to despise the cajuns. We'd make a lot of money -- and we would have success because we'd demand it and we'd find a way to win. We know how to play the games that need to be played.....

But there are several drawbacks for OU in a move with A&M to the SEC.

While we'd compete just fine, we would play the most difficult schedule in the country every single year. While the other SEC teams loaded up on their usual creampuffs, we'd be playing Texas and OSU every year -- no doubt.

That would be like Alabama having a regular season game with tOSU or USC every single year and then playing an SEC schedule. That's tough -- and there's a reason why none of them do that now.

Success breeds more success -- and in our absence, Texas would have an unchecked path to the BCS every single year. In some kind of East division in a Pac-16 (sans OU) or as an Independent (which they could now probably pull off if they absolutely had to...), they'd be regulars in the NCG. We keep them in check...here on the Red River. But if we moved to the SEC, we'd be slugging it through down South while they'd be cruising to comfortable wins over every team from here to the West Coast. That's not a good combination for recruiting....even if we maintained the RRS.

And we don't have any recruiting ties into the SEC country...those are locked down by all the powers already there. We've done well across the West -- CA, Vegas, and so on....the Pac concept was a good option for OU....even if wasn't ideal. But in a move to the SEC with A&M....we'd lose several games/year in the state of Texas. Not good.

And there's still the issue of Oklahoma State. A&M might decide to leave but I think we'll stay right here on the Red River and keep fighting Texas. It's what we've always done -- it's what our fans want and it's what's best for the program. We're not a red-headed stephchild to UT like A&M is -- we beat them on the field too often for that....and our trophy case says otherwise.

I think we'd invite BYU or even stay at 10 teams if A&M left for the SEC -- say with VT. But even that's doubtful -- as has been said, the SEC doesn't want to start the Revolution....life is good for them as it is right now.

Octavian
1/24/2011, 08:22 PM
And let me say that A&M is an irrational player in all of this. It wouldn't shock me if they left...because it's such a bottom-up movement down there to SECede.

But there's no excuse for A&M to be as terribly mediocre as they've almost always been. The Horns have them so mind-****ed that it's ridiculous.

They constantly proclaim defeat before they try and they have a can't-do culture....OU isn't like that. Again -- our history of excellence makes us believe that we can do anything...because we already have. We don't fear UT's natural advantages like A&M does. They're looking for a way out -- like Arkansas did. We're looking for a way to beat them again.

SoCaliSooner
1/24/2011, 08:24 PM
Are you kidding me? OU is an elite program and would compete for titles every year in the SEC.
Yes...we've seen OU and it's best teams get beat in the NC game by the SEC...twice.

Octavian
1/24/2011, 08:30 PM
Yes...we've seen OU and it's best teams get beat in the NC game by the SEC...twice.

OU lost against two different SEC champs while playing in their backyard for the National Title. Both were close games.

Not every team in the SEC is like LSU '03 or UF '08 -- they're not all NC caliber every year. The SEC East was pitiful this year -- they went 5-5 in their bowl games. Georgia lost to UCF. Tennessee lost to UNC and South Carolina lost to FSU -- who we beat by 30 points. Yeah, the transitive property doesn't apply....and the SEC is no doubt the class of the CFB world...but just sayin' -- they're not all great. ESPiN has a financial incentive to portray all twelve of them like they're carbon copies of Florida with Alabama's history -- but they're not.

OU wouldn't win 7 SEC titles in 11 years like we have in the Big 12 -- but we'd be a damn opponent for any SEC program....especially in Norman.

SoCaliSooner
1/24/2011, 08:32 PM
OU lost against two different SEC champs while playing in their backyard for the National Title. Both were close games.

And OU's going to actually have to play games at Florida, LSU, Bama. It's a lose/lose. Better to squeak through what's left of the big 12 or go to the Pac 10 and hope the SEC beats themselves up enough to not put a team in the NC game....

SGA
1/24/2011, 08:34 PM
This would force UT into independence and IMO, mediocrity. Think about what this does for other UT sports. Who do they place in baseball, basketball?

This has been in the works for years. It didn't happen overnight.

This is not a bad thing for OU at all in my opinion. Would it hamper our recruiting base in TX?

EFF NO!

It would make it better.

"Son, would you like to play Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Georgia at least once on the road? Or would you rather play Texas' road schedule?"

The TV contract for UT is a mistake. They are pushing themselves out of relevancy.

Furthermore, as we have such a strong tradition, you open recruiting WIDE OPEN in states we have had no chance in before.

OU wins big time if we go to the SEC.

BIG TIME.

Texas loses on this deal, as they lose OU in a rivalry. I say f***'em.

Sabanball
1/24/2011, 08:36 PM
OU would be very competitive inside the SEC -- that's not the issue. And the SEC would be awesome in some new rivalries. The Alabama game would become a cherished yearly event for all Sooners. And the Arkansas game would be completely vicious. I also think we'd develop a healthy dislike of Tennessee and continue to despise the cajuns. We'd make a lot of money -- and we would have success because we'd demand it and we'd find a way to win. We know how to play the games that need to be played.....

But there are several drawbacks for OU in a move with A&M to the SEC.

While we'd compete just fine, we would play the most difficult schedule in the country every single year. While the other SEC teams loaded up on their usual creampuffs, we'd be playing Texas and OSU every year -- no doubt.

That would be like Alabama having a regular season game with tOSU or USC every single year and then playing an SEC schedule. That's tough -- and there's a reason why none of them do that now.

Success breeds more success -- and in our absence, Texas would have an unchecked path to the BCS every single year. In some kind of East division in a Pac-16 (sans OU) or as an Independent (which they could now probably pull off if they absolutely had to...), they'd be regulars in the NCG. We keep them in check...here on the Red River. But if we moved to the SEC, we'd be slugging it through down South while they'd be cruising to comfortable wins over every team from here to the West Coast. That's not a good combination for recruiting....even if we maintained the RRS.

And we don't have any recruiting ties into the SEC country...those are locked down by all the powers already there. We've done well across the West -- CA, Vegas, and so on....the Pac concept was a good option for OU....even if wasn't ideal. But in a move to the SEC with A&M....we'd lose several games/year in the state of Texas. Not good.

And there's still the issue of Oklahoma State. A&M might decide to leave but I think we'll stay right here on the Red River and keep fighting Texas. It's what we've always done -- it's what our fans want and it's what's best for the program. We're not a red-headed stephchild to UT like A&M is -- we beat them on the field too often for that....and our trophy case says otherwise.

I think we'd invite BYU or even stay at 10 teams if A&M left for the SEC -- say with VT. But even that's doubtful -- as has been said, the SEC doesn't want to start the Revolution....life is good for them as it is right now.

Your points are well taken, but I still see more upside from you guys joining the SEC than not. Recruiting--you guys would still recruit Texas for 60%+ of your talent, just like you do now. Why would that have to change? Bottom line is it wouldn't, and you could begin to make inroads into the South. Like I said, the selling point of playing on a national stage against not just Texas but Alabama, Arky, and the other SEC powerhouses on a rotational basis would have to be appealing to recruits from Texas. Who wants to play in Ames, Iowa, or Waco, Texas, when you can play in Gainesville, FL, or Athens, GA, in front of 90,000+ rabid fans, or for that matter, Nashville, TN? And as for your schedule, I don't see how that could not be worked out. Your schedule would not be any more difficult than whan Bama or Arkansas would be playing. You'd be allowed to keep Texas on the schedule and I can't help but think the situation with OSU could be resolved(we don't need another cow college in the SEC). In any scenario, I don't see OSU being an absolute deal-breaker. OTOH, like I've said, it's your marriage to Texas that will keep it from ever happening, more than anything else...

soonerbub
1/24/2011, 08:37 PM
I'd rather go indy than go to the sec

(sorry bama)

we could take on home and homes w sec schools and take their TV money

agoo758
1/24/2011, 08:38 PM
And OU's going to actually have to play games at Florida, LSU, Bama. It's a lose/lose. Better to squeak through what's left of the big 12 or go to the Pac 10 and hope the SEC beats themselves up enough to not put a team in the NC game....

Yes, because two games is a large enough sample for determining the outcome of every single game afterwords right?:rolleyes:

Turn off ESPN, ban yourself from SF, and educate yourself.

Octavian
1/24/2011, 08:41 PM

yeah, probably with that mindset you won't be winning championships anyway....

Sabanball
1/24/2011, 08:48 PM

Umm...and you are an OU fan? Fine, go play touch football with the Pac 10/12/ whatever... What happened to wanting to play the best, instead looking for the path of least resistance to getting a trophy? That's the kind of thing Texas does, NOT Oklahoma--at least the Oklahoma football program that I've known for over 40 yrs. I'm glad you are obviously in the minority of your fan base on this issue...

TahoeSOONER
1/24/2011, 08:56 PM
The SEC is a fine conference, rich in tradition, but they don't scare too many fans in Oklahoma.

sooner ngintunr
1/24/2011, 08:58 PM

And OU's going to actually have to play games at Florida, LSU, Bama. It's a lose/lose..

Go ahead and just bain yourself.

SoonerMarkVA
1/24/2011, 09:01 PM

This is just silly. You see us being middle tier at best in the SEC?

Yes, the road would be harder, but we would instantly be in the elite of any conference we enter. There is ZERO chance that we "[wouldn't] be competitive" in the SEC or any other conference. OU would up the prestige of *any* conference, including the SEC. We are just one of those programs.

AlbqSooner
1/24/2011, 09:17 PM
While I generally like the idea of OU in the SEC, I cringe at the thought of having those LSU bottom feeding fans attend a game in Norman. I also cringe at the thought of going to Baton Rouge. That is, without question, the least hospitable fan base I have ever come across. Mid 40s couple I knew went to Baton Rouge as Florida fans. When Florida scored a TD, they stood and cheered. Not dancing in the aisles stuff, they just cheered. People behind them poured beer over their heads and screamed at them to GTFO.

Nahhh, I don't want OU to be a part of the SEC

Soonerite
1/24/2011, 09:17 PM

Who the **** is this guy???

Widescreen
1/24/2011, 09:24 PM

You need to either grow a pair or go be a fan of some other team.

Rocko
1/24/2011, 09:26 PM
Explain...

The fan bases are a bit different. OU and AM fans are quite tame compared to some of the more rowdy SEC fans (LSU). That is a minor thing though.

More important issues would be A&M being out of there league (they somewhat compete in the B12) and OU used to winning everything in site when it comes to our conference. OU would be competitive, I have no doubt, but the days of winning 7 CCG in the past decade would be gone for sure.

SGA
1/24/2011, 09:28 PM
While I generally like the idea of OU in the SEC, I cringe at the thought of having those LSU bottom feeding fans attend a game in Norman. I also cringe at the thought of going to Baton Rouge. That is, without question, the least hospitable fan base I have ever come across. Mid 40s couple I knew went to Baton Rouge as Florida fans. When Florida scored a TD, they stood and cheered. Not dancing in the aisles stuff, they just cheered. People behind them poured beer over their heads and screamed at them to GTFO.

Nahhh, I don't want OU to be a part of the SEC

So? Let's bring some class to the conference. They come to Norman, we stomp their *** and then shake their hands. That hurts a hell of a lot more than trying to start fights. That is a c-slap to the face if there ever was one. I'd be way more pissed as an LSU fan getting that comforting hand shake and "good game," than I would be if someone wanted to tussle. F***'em.

TXBOOMER
1/24/2011, 09:28 PM
Bring it on. If you want to be the best you got to beat the best. I say go to the SEC and the conference champ is the national champ. F texass!

usaosooner
1/24/2011, 09:45 PM
I'm not going to go full Tex Ags but if it happened I'd be pleased. If the Pac 16 happens I'd be happy atleast we have options unlike our brothers to the North who are tag alongs

Octavian
1/24/2011, 09:46 PM
Your points are well taken, but I still see more upside from you guys joining the SEC than not. Recruiting--you guys would still recruit Texas for 60%+ of your talent, just like you do now. Why would that have to change? Bottom line is it wouldn't, and you could begin to make inroads into the South. Like I said, the selling point of playing on a national stage against not just Texas but Alabama, Arky, and the other SEC powerhouses on a rotational basis would have to be appealing to recruits from Texas. Who wants to play in Ames, Iowa, or Waco, Texas, when you can play in Gainesville, FL, or Athens, GA, in front of 90,000+ rabid fans, or for that matter, Nashville, TN? And as for your schedule, I don't see how that could not be worked out. Your schedule would not be any more difficult than whan Bama or Arkansas would be playing. You'd be allowed to keep Texas on the schedule and I can't help but think the situation with OSU could be resolved(we don't need another cow college in the SEC). In any scenario, I don't see OSU being an absolute deal-breaker. OTOH, like I've said, it's your marriage to Texas that will keep it from ever happening, more than anything else...

You make some good points. But I still like the Big 12....or whatever it is. I think a lot of OU fans do....

Maybe what bothers me about joining either the SEC or the Pac is that it wouldn't be ours -- and it wouldn't ever be. Any move and we'd always be in Bama's conference or USC's conference....we'd be in it...but it wouldn't be home.

The great thing about the Big 12 for OU was that it combined all of our Big Eight history with an ancient rival and all of his buddies that we meshed with very well. Some of the North teams and some of the Texas schools never developed any sense of familiarity with one another -- always felt like strangers. But the Big 12 wasn't so much a shotgun marriage for OU....it was a great fit.

History and tradition are important for OU. We've played UT, KU, and OSU over 100 times. We've played more than 90 games against KSU and Mizzou. And both OU and OSU have developed great recent rivalries with the TX schools. The Big 12 South is fun.

Now with Nebraska gone (and what's their faces...) it's going to be different. But our history and tradition shouldn't just be trampled -- we've been building it for over a century. This really is home. If that changes and we're forced to...then fine. But OU isn't scared of competing against Texas like A&M is...and we're just fine preserving our history and being in our own conference imo.

soonerbub
1/24/2011, 09:49 PM
^^^^^

yep

prrriiide
1/24/2011, 09:59 PM
I also think we'd develop a healthy dislike of Tennessee

Don't be so sure about that. There are some GREAT fans up here in Knoxville. UT has their butt-nuggets like any other fan base, but taken as a whole their fans are in the same league with Bama and Nebbish when it comes to knowledge and treating the opponent (well, MOST opponents - Saban might disagree with me) with reasonable respect. I can tell you that, when wearing my OU gear around Knoxville, I have NEVER had a Vol fan say anything negative about OU. Most pile on the admiration for our program and really are interested in our tradition and such. We would be well-treated and well-respected in Knoxville. Bank it.

When OU visits here in a few years, I think a lot of people are going to REALLY enjoy the trip.

KYSooner
1/24/2011, 10:01 PM
So, say we did migrate to the sec...how long before we build a 100k+stadium?

JLEW1818
1/24/2011, 10:07 PM
we would lose 2-3 more games per year in the SEC, on an average year

Octavian
1/24/2011, 10:08 PM
Don't be so sure about that. There are some GREAT fans up here in Knoxville. UT has their butt-nuggets like any other fan base, but taken as a whole their fans are in the same league with Bama and Nebbish when it comes to knowledge and treating the opponent (well, MOST opponents - Saban might disagree with me) with reasonable respect. I can tell you that, when wearing my OU gear around Knoxville, I have NEVER had a Vol fan say anything negative about OU. Most pile on the admiration for our program and really are interested in our tradition and such. We would be well-treated and well-respected in Knoxville. Bank it.

When OU visits here in a few years, I think a lot of people are going to REALLY enjoy the trip.

Yeah you're probably right -- but they just have so much......orange. And we're crimson. And they're also UT. Figured we'd just be natural enemies ;) I can't wait for the trip to Knoxville btw....sure we'll be treated well.

But we can still mock Arkansas right? Whether or not we're in the SEC? Go to hell, Arkansas.

bluedogok
1/24/2011, 10:10 PM
This would force UT into independence and IMO, mediocrity. Think about what this does for other UT sports. Who do they place in baseball, basketball?
I think Texas ends up in the Big 10/11/12 if OU and A&M were to bolt to the SEC, I don't think they could hold the Big 12/10/8 together by themselves. You would always have Missouri looking to move to the Big 10 and OSU would be the team right behind Texas and if the Big 10/11/12 were to get Texas they might take Missouri.

Umm...and you are an OU fan? Fine, go play touch football with the Pac 10/12/ whatever... What happened to wanting to play the best, instead looking for the path of least resistance to getting a trophy? That's the kind of thing Texas does, NOT Oklahoma--at least the Oklahoma football program that I've known for over 40 yrs. I'm glad you are obviously in the minority of your fan base on this issue...

Who the **** is this guy???
It's called self interest, Southern California Sooner, of course someone in Southern California would prefer them to be in the Pac Whatever.

soonervegas
1/24/2011, 10:16 PM

I'd put it closer to 1-2.....

delhalew
1/24/2011, 10:16 PM
I would enjoy any one of these three eventualities.
1. Stay in the Big12
2. Move to the SEC
3. Independence!!

While our game with little brother is the most lopsided state rivalry in the country, there is something to be said for a century of tradition. I hope any move we make will see us schedule the pukes as well as Texas.

Soonerite
1/24/2011, 10:26 PM
I would enjoy any one of these three eventualities.
1. Stay in the Big12
2. Move to the SEC
3. Independence!!

While our game with little brother is the most lopsided state rivalry in the country, there is something to be said for a century of tradition. I hope any move we make will see us schedule the pukes as well as Texas.

Which is better? Beating the pukes on the field every year? Or watching the massive ego they have acquired in the last few years take a beating as they stumble into a lower tier conference after the big 12 is disbanded when we jump to the SEC? :D

Conference USA?? But..but...we're a team on the rise!! :stunned:

SoonerinLondon
1/24/2011, 10:36 PM

Absolutely. This would be great. In the Pac10 we have a legit shot at winning the conference 50% of the time, much like the Big XII since BS has been around. In SEC what are our chances? 10% of the time? 20% of the time? Less?

delhalew
1/24/2011, 10:41 PM
Were in the hell are these spineless little noobs coming from? Are you aware you are on an Oklahoma Sooner board? Might I suggest picking a 12PAC team for your fandom...or maybe Boise St. If you insist on being a fan of a Big12 team, I hear the OSU cowboys are a team on the rise.

Pussies.

Football Jim
1/24/2011, 10:44 PM
The mega conferences will create their own huge problems. Also, all of this conference jumping will never stop once it starts. Every team will use the "my way or we leave" diplomacy.
Once loyalty is dead then things will get ugly fast. Then in several years, perhaps many years the trend will be to dismantle the mega conferences to straighten it all out. Then the 8 to 12 team conferences will be back in style.
Better to not get into this swapping mentality in the first place.

ouwasp
1/24/2011, 11:00 PM
Is there a way OU could do something good for themselves while at the same time sticking it to :texan: and :stunned: ?

Let 'er rip!

silverwheels
1/24/2011, 11:02 PM
I choose the Pac-16 just because I'd rather not have to converse with SEC! SEC! SEC! fans all the time.

EatLeadCommie
1/24/2011, 11:11 PM
Not a question of if for aTm, but when, IMO...

When I was down there for the OU game this year, I had a guy tell me that the athletic department is all for bolting and it may happen as soon as this summer.

reevie
1/24/2011, 11:17 PM
Not a question of if for aTm, but when, IMO...

When I was down there for the OU game this year, I had a guy tell me that the athletic department is all for bolting and it may happen as soon as this summer.

The first time those good ole boys down south see the cadets squeeze their left one they'll run them right back out of the conference.

silverwheels
1/24/2011, 11:36 PM
A&M will struggle to compete in the SEC. They could barely compete in the Big 12, especially during its weaker years.

soonerinkaty
1/24/2011, 11:49 PM
Man up Nancy! I'd enjoy the SEC.

SoonerMom2
1/24/2011, 11:55 PM

Are you sure you are a Sooner fan? Sure don't sound like one.

MeMyself&Me
1/25/2011, 12:09 AM

My only experience with the Tennessee fans was when I was stuck in Knoxville for a couple weeks during football season a few years back. One of OU's games while I was there was on FSN but my hotel didn't carry FSN. I found a local sports bar that was going to show the game by calling around. Ended up sitting with a few other Sooner fans in the same boat as me (never knew them before) and we sat in front of one small TV watching OUr game in the corner of the bar full of a **** load of TVs on other games (and by full, there were probably over 20 TVs in this place). We ordered food and drinks all during the time we were there. We were caught up in OUr game to the point we didn't realize that UT's game was a PPV game that day and was set to go just as OUr game was ending and the bar was filling up with UT fans. With 4 minutes to go in OUr game, the bar tender steps in front of us and turns the channel to the UT game and the entire bar erupted in cheers. We were a bit stunned, and turned to look and every TV in the place was put on the Tennessee game. We started to protest to the bartender but he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

No I know we were in Knoxville, but there was no point in that other than to say "you aren't welcome here" because they didn't need our TV to watch the game when every other one in the bar was already tuned to their game.

To me, Tennessee is just another one of those 'orange' teams. And no, I'm not particularly interested in a permanent association with the rest of the SEC either.

prrriiide
1/25/2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah you're probably right -- but they just have so much......orange. And we're crimson. And they're also UT. Figured we'd just be natural enemies ;)

If it makes you feel any better, almost every Vol fan I know detests texass almost as much as I do. And I effing HATE texass

FirstandGoal
1/25/2011, 12:35 AM
A&M will struggle to compete in the SEC. They could barely compete in the Big 12, especially during its weaker years.

If ever there was a year for eATMe or :stunned: to actually win the Big XII, this was the year. Buy hey, neither one of them could even get to the CCG in a year that we shot ourselves in the foot twice and * sucked donkey balls. Guess what guys, you had your chance and you blew it.

For some of the reasons that Octavian listed, I really hope we don't go over to the SEC. But hey, if we do well.... we owned the last 2 conferences we were in so I'm not worried.

agoo758
1/25/2011, 12:41 AM
Too many idiots talking about how we'd lose two to three games a year if we join the SEC, and not enough stable people talking about SEC teams losing one more game a year to us, who are these jackasses, and what have they done to this discussion board? :mad:

sendbaht
1/25/2011, 04:38 AM

I 2nd this!

I 2nd that without reading it well....

I would perfer us playing in the Pac 10 and I think it is a better cleaner fit for OU.
There now someone 2nd this?

Shakadoodoo
1/25/2011, 08:10 AM
OU would be competitive in any conference. You all should stop swinging on SEC testicals! But the SEC only cares about football, Basketball, track and Baseball........ But mainly Football. No one in the SEC wrestles - there are other sports besides football.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/25/2011, 08:25 AM
If we go to the SEC does that mean we get to have 25 players when we have 11 scholarships open and just cut our kickers and an assortment of less able players to make numbers like the rest of the SEC. I just don't see a Norman crowd ever chanting SEC SEC SEC SEC either.

Widescreen
1/25/2011, 08:30 AM

So you're saying we'd be looking at 4-5 losses a year on average? Yeah, right.

Sooner in Tampa
1/25/2011, 08:37 AM
I 2nd this!
Who are all of these scared little buttnuggets?

Jeebus...if you're scared, why don't you sign up for Huskerpedia and become a kid of the corn or some other chicken**** school.

I am sick of the ****ing naysayers...beat it scrubs.

Shakadoodoo
1/25/2011, 09:06 AM
I don't think the Big 12 is going to go away without a fight. I think they are being quite right now and seeing what happens but we did not trademark the name "Big 14" for nothing. Although the speculation is fun.... since the Big 12 has been silent on the issue - non us us know what is really going on.

Big 12 files trademark for "Big 14"; is league expanding? (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/post.aspx?blogid=8&entry_id=6138)

As of the 2008 season, Oklahoma had a 19-9-3 record against the SEC. You would have to add the loss to Florida but that is the only SEC team we have played since then (I Think)..... So as far as you all claiming we would not be competitive in the SEC - Whatever!!!!! We ain't Scurd!!!!!!!!

usaosooner
1/25/2011, 09:12 AM
A Sooner fears no conference. would rather hangout on the beach than the bayou however

KuppiKunta
1/25/2011, 09:35 AM

Actually, OUs overall record against the SEC is 17-9-3.....I think they can compete. But I agree, I'd rather see them in the Pac whatever.

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 10:00 AM
Yeah i think we could benefit from this as well. I mean i could see a 2 loss super SEC team being better than any other conference champion. Not for sure how the BCS would interpret such a thing but it would be the truth. We really dont benefit much when we play teams such as mizzou, ku, ok state, and others most of the time. Granted sometimes they will put a decent team together, but it would be a huge upgrade playing teams with tradition such as Bama, lsu, tenn, etc..

soonervegas
1/25/2011, 10:30 AM
I don't think many people are scared of the SEC, just being honest. An OU team that finishes in the Big 12 at 10-2 like we did this year would probably go 9-3 or 8-4 in the SEC. (You know Bama, the defending national champion, did that this year right?)

As opposed to 7 Big 12 titles we might have 2 or 3 SEC titles over the same period. I don't think many people are saying we couldn't compete, just that the mountain is a little more treacherous.

But at the end of the day we would be right there with UF, Bama, and LSU.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/25/2011, 10:38 AM
I kinda wish we would join, but I know that'll never happen...

S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!

:D :rolleyes:

OUthunder
1/25/2011, 10:40 AM
I'd love to dump Texass but that's just me. oSu will go where ever we go, just the way it is unfortunately.

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 10:48 AM

SoCali is a coward? You don't say... color me not surprised... lol

I would love a move to the SEC... Anyone who has been to college football games around this country know that both OU and A&M are much more culturally comparable to the SEC schools, especially regarding football... And as a TRUE OU fan... I ain't scared of ****.

But, sadly those that say we won't abandon osu are correct... Not as long as Boren is President... So unless the SEC is interested in letting us bring little bro, it ain't happening.

texaspokieokie
1/25/2011, 10:50 AM
all schools should dump tx; then see how their network would pay off;
with what would become intra-murals.

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 10:50 AM
I'd love to dump Texass but that's just me. oSu will go where ever we go, just the way it is unfortunately.

Not exactly. I dont think they will. I mean I dont see us being like "If you, the SEC, offers us, than OSU is a package deal. We benefit nothing from playing them and neither would the other SEC teams

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 11:00 AM
Not exactly. I dont think they will. I mean I dont see us being like "If you, the SEC, offers us, than OSU is a package deal. We benefit nothing from playing them and neither would the other SEC teams

Well, start seeing it... We're not going anywhere without little brother...

It is the opinion of Boren and other decision makers that OU only benefits with a stronger osu... athletically, academically, economically, and otherwise... They have a university to run and make decisions based on much different criteria than the football fan that wants to implode stillwater out of principle...

Shakadoodoo
1/25/2011, 11:04 AM
If you want to be the best.... You have to play the best..... If we need to raise our game - then we have the talent to do so.

The problem I have with the SEC is because the decision would be made solely on football. If we do have to change conferences then the decision should be made with the Whole Athletic department in mind and not just the football team. I know that football makes the most money but there are plenty of young talented athletes that should be taken into consideration. Yes SEC football is good - But B-Ball they are no better than us..... Same with track and baseball. In other sports we are better than the SEC. So I think it would be sad and unfair to make this decision only based on football.

TUSooner
1/25/2011, 11:07 AM
I wish we'd have gone west when we had the chance. Trying to keep the foundering Big Less Than 12 afloat is vain and pathetic

OklahomaTuba
1/25/2011, 11:10 AM
I think that the SEC eventually expands to 16, by adding us, A&M, and two others (tech, osu, ku, mizzou, fsu, miami, etc). Only a matter of time.

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 11:30 AM
Well, start seeing it... We're not going anywhere without little brother...

It is the opinion of Boren and other decision makers that OU only benefits with a stronger osu... athletically, academically, economically, and otherwise... They have a university to run and make decisions based on much different criteria than the football fan that wants to implode stillwater out of principle...

I'm still not sold on it. If OU said the only way it would go to the SEC was if OSU was offered the same plan, Boren and others would be stupid to decline an invite to the SEC

Dio
1/25/2011, 11:33 AM
Weren't Boren & Joe C talking to the SEC sans little bro during last year's Confrageddon?

soonergirlNeugene
1/25/2011, 11:39 AM
Eesh A&M's delusions about the SEC were predictable. Didn't expect to see it bleed over onto OUr boards.

I'm against a move b/c I think our traditional rivalries are more important than whatever we might gain by moving to the SEC or the Pac.

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 11:43 AM
I'm still not sold on it. If OU said the only way it would go to the SEC was if OSU was offered the same plan, Boren and others would be stupid to decline an invite to the SEC

lol... well if it somehow makes you feel better to think otherwise, then do your thing...

But, the fact is, if the SEC has said they would take osu... we'd be preparing for the SEC as we speak... whether you believe it or not, it's still true...

And if you believe Boren is stupid, then I don't know you WOULD believe... lol

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 11:58 AM
lol... well if it somehow makes you feel better to think otherwise, then do your thing...

But, the fact is, if the SEC has said they would take osu... we'd be preparing for the SEC as we speak... whether you believe it or not, it's still true...

And if you believe Boren is stupid, then I don't know you WOULD believe... lol

I'm not saying he IS stupid, I just don't see how having osu in our hip pocket no matter where we go benefits us. I agree with saban ball. I think that an OU-Bama matchup would be a great addition for us. Yes if we lost the RRR I would be saddened, but losing out on playing the likes of all the other big 12 schools, i couldn't care less. I mean who wouldnt want the national exposure you could gain from that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently what other teams have tradition in the big 12 minus OU and Texas? A&M claims to have some, but not to the likes that OU, Texas, Bama, LSU, Tenn, and others have.

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 12:06 PM
I'm not saying he IS stupid, I just don't see how having osu in our hip pocket no matter where we go benefits us. I agree with saban ball. I think that an OU-Bama matchup would be a great addition for us. Yes if we lost the RRR I would be saddened, but losing out on playing the likes of all the other big 12 schools, i couldn't care less. I mean who wouldnt want the national exposure you could gain from that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently what other teams have tradition in the big 12 minus OU and Texas? A&M claims to have some, but not to the likes that OU, Texas, Bama, LSU, Tenn, and others have.

Well financially speaking, Joe C. will tell you that we can't lose the RRR at all costs... Without that game, our AD donations would drop at a tragic rate...

Boren is of the opinion that having osu stronger academically and economically helps the whole state of Oklahoma and makes the state stronger, which in turn continues to make OU stronger....

So, I would say nothing will happen that won't preserve those two things.... and everything else is expendible...

SoonerPride
1/25/2011, 12:09 PM
Yes if we lost the RRR I would be saddened

You are out of your mind.

If we lost the RRR we would have no tradition left.

Oldnslo
1/25/2011, 12:10 PM
I still wish we'd gone Pac. A Cali trip every year, and an AZ trip, too. Plus, we'd get to pound SUC at least every other year.

badger
1/25/2011, 12:12 PM
I don't fear no stinkin' SEC. As you might recall, we beat almighty Bammer in our home-and-home games. We also beat Arky in the Cotton Bowl in 2001.

Alas, we are 3-3 under Stoops against the Seck Conference if memory serves correctly thanks to that stupid first-year bowl in Middleanowhere, Louisiana, and the two title game flubs. But, contrary to popular media belief, those were not complete arse kickin's, but were in fact decided by 7 and 10 points, disrespectively.

I am sick of the S-E-C chantings. From now on, they are the Seck conference, which is one letter short of "Suck." The only reason they've been winning the crystal balls latest is because the media is all over them in the polls. Ooo, S-E-C! Shiny! Let's put them in the title game instead of USC (2003), instead of Michigan (2007), instead of a crapload of teams (Choose any team with two or less losses, like Mizzou, us and Kansas to name a few in 2008), instead of Texas (2009) even though they have the same exact records as those teams and are also in big conferences!

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 12:18 PM
Well financially speaking, Joe C. will tell you that we can't lose the RRR at all costs... Without that game, our AD donations would drop at a tragic rate...

Boren is of the opinion that having osu stronger academically and economically helps the whole state of Oklahoma and makes the state stronger, which in turn continues to make OU stronger....

So, I would say nothing will happen that won't preserve those two things.... and everything else is expendible...

I dont know if they would drop at a tragic rate. But adding the likes of playing a possible NC contender every couple of weeks would really get national exposure and possibly spread our market further east. I dont know how Texas would feel if the RRR was broken up, but I'd like to see a Horn's opinion on it

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 12:39 PM
And the fact that we dont have a CCG now really hurts. Im glad that tulsa and FSU will put out decent teams next year because other than that, its possible we may only play one or so ranked teams next season besides them.

SoCaliSooner
1/25/2011, 12:50 PM
I don't fear no stinkin' SEC. As you might recall, we beat almighty Bammer in our home-and-home games. We also beat Arky in the Cotton Bowl in 2001.

Alas, we are 3-3 under Stoops against the Seck Conference if memory serves correctly

That win at alabama was a 20-13 win over a team that finished 4-9. Games at Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Tennessee are a bit more hostile than Mizzou, TTech, neutral Cotton Bowl and A&M. OU has struggled on the road against those Big 12 "powerhouses".

The problem is that OU's prolific offense gets shut down by stout SEC defenses. SEC teams that are successfull have great defenses and good running games. OU has lacked both for a few years. OU's style of offense fits better with the Pac-10 and I think they'll better recruit the southwest better than than southeast.

CowboyMRW
1/25/2011, 12:51 PM
And the fact that we dont have a CCG now really hurts. Im glad that tulsa and FSU will put out decent teams next year because other than that, its possible we may only play one or so ranked teams next season besides them.

Mizzou, OSU, AnM, and Texas will all be ranked so there is 4 teams that help the SOS argument

Seamus
1/25/2011, 12:52 PM
Were in the hell are these spineless little noobs coming from? Are you aware you are on an Oklahoma Sooner board? Might I suggest picking a 12PAC team for your fandom...or maybe Boise St. If you insist on being a fan of a Big12 team, I hear the OSU cowboys are a team on the rise.

Pussies.

ROFL :pop:

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 12:56 PM
Mizzou, OSU, AnM, and Texas will all be ranked so there is 4 teams that help the SOS argument

Texas has a lot to prove before they can be ranked. Mizzou losing Gabbert is the same as well and also losing their DE

HBick
1/25/2011, 12:59 PM
Well it looks like the media has found a way to keep getting readers, conference realignment. Recruiting was only keeping people interested until February. Now we have something to talk about for the entire off season.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/25/2011, 01:16 PM
You make some good points. But I still like the Big 12....or whatever it is. I think a lot of OU fans do....

Maybe what bothers me about joining either the SEC or the Pac is that it wouldn't be ours -- and it wouldn't ever be. Any move and we'd always be in Bama's conference or USC's conference....we'd be in it...but it wouldn't be home.

The great thing about the Big 12 for OU was that it combined all of our Big Eight history with an ancient rival and all of his buddies that we meshed with very well. Some of the North teams and some of the Texas schools never developed any sense of familiarity with one another -- always felt like strangers. But the Big 12 wasn't so much a shotgun marriage for OU....it was a great fit.

History and tradition are important for OU. We've played UT, KU, and OSU over 100 times. We've played more than 90 games against KSU and Mizzou. And both OU and OSU have developed great recent rivalries with the TX schools. The Big 12 South is fun.

Now with Nebraska gone (and what's their faces...) it's going to be different. But our history and tradition shouldn't just be trampled -- we've been building it for over a century. This really is home. If that changes and we're forced to...then fine. But OU isn't scared of competing against Texas like A&M is...and we're just fine preserving our history and being in our own conference imo.

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly. Great post.

LRoss
1/25/2011, 01:35 PM
We should just join the Great West Conference. We could probably win it, you know. Problem of SEC being too big and fast? Solved!

PLUS -- I'm pretty sure the fans in Bismark would be nice. I mean, they have fans, right? But honestly, even if not, it's not like anybody would GO to Bismark for a road game anyway, so problem of people being too mean? Solved! Why has nobody else thought of this?

In all seriousness (wait -- was the above sarcasm or satire? Now I'm not sure!) I don't think OU to the SEC will happen but can we at least PRETEND to be men and not soil our dresses at it's mention?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/25/2011, 01:43 PM
That win at alabama was a 20-13 win over a team that finished 4-9. Games at Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Tennessee are a bit more hostile than Mizzou, TTech, neutral Cotton Bowl and A&M. OU has struggled on the road against those Big 12 "powerhouses".

The problem is that OU's prolific offense gets shut down by stout SEC defenses. SEC teams that are successfull have great defenses and good running games. OU has lacked both for a few years. OU's style of offense fits better with the Pac-10 and I think they'll better recruit the southwest better than than southeast.

Those defenses were the VERY best the SEC had to offer and they had 4 to 6 weeks to prepare for our offense. You give them 5 to 6 days to prepare and see how well they prepare.

SoCaliSooner
1/25/2011, 01:48 PM
Those defenses were the VERY best the SEC had to offer and they had 4 to 6 weeks to prepare for our offense. You give them 5 to 6 days to prepare and see how well they prepare.

OU's offenses that were the very best had the same amount of time also. The problem was their defenses basically didn't change much. OU's offenses had just never seen the speed and physicality. It was the SEC offenses that ran well and beat down OU's defenses as well.

PalmBeachSooner
1/25/2011, 01:50 PM
Have you seen Univ. of Texas's endowment numbers, Tom?? $300 Mil is a mere pittance. They've always had a financial leg up on everyone else, but they're Texas. They'll continue doing less with more than anyone else

It's not about the money. It's about ESPN having a studio on the UT campus. If you believed there was an anti-OU bias at ESPN before, you haven't seen anything yet. There can be no objective reporting at ESPN now when it comes to the Bix XII -2.

soonervegas
1/25/2011, 01:54 PM
OU's offenses that were the very best had the same amount of time also. The problem was their defenses basically didn't change much. OU's offenses had just never seen the speed and physicality. It was the SEC offenses that ran well and beat down OU's defenses as well.

Auburn averaged well north of 40 points per game going into the BCS title game. They mustered 22 against Oregon. Could they not handle the PAC-10 speed and physicality?

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 02:01 PM
I dont know if they would drop at a tragic rate. But adding the likes of playing a possible NC contender every couple of weeks would really get national exposure and possibly spread our market further east. I dont know how Texas would feel if the RRR was broken up, but I'd like to see a Horn's opinion on it

You don't know much about the OU/texas game, do you? lol

I choose my words carefully, and if the RRR went away, the losses to the athletic department budget would be nothing less than tragic, fiscally speaking. And there is NOTHING on the planet that can replace it... NOTHING.... This item is not even open for debate.

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 02:09 PM
You don't know much about the OU/texas game, do you? lol

I choose my words carefully, and if the RRR went away, the losses to the athletic department budget would be nothing less than tragic, fiscally speaking. And there is NOTHING on the planet that can replace it... NOTHING.... This item is not even open for debate.

So are you saying we have to have Texas to stay alive?

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 02:11 PM
So are you saying we have to have Texas to stay alive?

We can live without the texas game and the donations that it generates... but I don't know that ALL our secondary sports could.... It would be a HUGE cutback...

bigfatjerk
1/25/2011, 02:13 PM
If we go to the SEC we wouldn't need OU/Tx to be fine. We would have one more home game against a Florida, LSU, or Alabama type team that would boost ticket sales at home. With money from an extra home game every 2 years we may be able to add to the stadium.

WichitaSooner
1/25/2011, 02:19 PM
Wow, I can't believe there is ANY sentiment to let the OU/texas game go away... that's just stupid...

you guys either have never been, are pissed cause you never get to go, or you are just an old curmudgeon that wants fun things to disappear.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/25/2011, 02:21 PM
We will play Texas until the day Austin falls into the Gulf of Mexico. We have too much of a connection to the state of Texas and we would take millions of dollars out of the Dallas economy every year if the game was canceled.

w0lfe
1/25/2011, 02:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe there is ANY sentiment to let the OU/texas game go away... that's just stupid...

you guys either have never been, are pissed cause you never get to go, or you are just an old curmudgeon that wants fun things to disappear.

I have been to multiple OU-Texas games. Yes they are great, but so would a Florida, Bama, or other team coming to OUR STATE and bringing in some revenue for Oklahoma. We wouldnt be on the verge of death by losing our rivalry with Texas. Good grief. Pretty sure donars and others would probably still support Oklahoma. I think we have had some tradition at this school

badger
1/25/2011, 02:36 PM
I'd really like to start playing Arky more often. They steal a lot of recruits from our state. Them and Rocky Top, whom we also have a home-and-home with in the near future.

SoonerMom2
1/25/2011, 02:43 PM
We will play Texas until the day Austin falls into the Gulf of Mexico. We have too much of a connection to the state of Texas and we would take millions of dollars out of the Dallas economy every year if the game was canceled.

Do people forget all the years OU/TX played when we were in different conferences -- until the 90's we were always in separate conferences so why would the game not be played. It would still be the highlight game of the pre-conference and still make both schools a lot of money.

OUEngr1990
1/25/2011, 02:48 PM
Whoever said Ou wouldn't be competitive in the SEC sounds like those SEC homers. BTW, OU has won 64% of their games with SEC:

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/series/index.cfm?Affiliation=SEC

And the last 2 games where competitive, tough games against 2 of the best teams in the country. No shame in that. They were close games..Of course OU will be competitive, and a good fit...

A&M on the other hand...

bigfatjerk
1/25/2011, 02:51 PM
Do we really want a year where we could have to play Florida, Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, and Texas? Texas A&M ain't bad either.

Shakadoodoo
1/25/2011, 02:54 PM
Do we really want a year where we could have to play Florida, Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, and Texas? Texas A&M ain't bad either.

YES!
And I would go broke trying to get to every single game!

OUEngr1990
1/25/2011, 03:04 PM

Well if you think about it, it might make us a better team when we have to play some tough teams instead of these pushovers like baylor, kansas, etc.
I think OU will be competitive no matter what conference they join.

SoonerPr8r
1/25/2011, 03:10 PM
Lets have rotating conferences!
Ideas, very 10 years we:
-throw all the teams into a hat and draw conferences.

-Draft: Each conference commish gets to draft. Draft order is based on titles/overall record

-Lottery

-Free agency! The conferences get to BUY the teams they want.

delhalew
1/25/2011, 03:27 PM
Do people forget all the years OU/TX played when we were in different conferences -- until the 90's we were always in separate conferences so why would the game not be played. It would still be the highlight game of the pre-conference and still make both schools a lot of money.

Apparently they do forget. No matter where we go, all parties involved will retain that game until the end of time.

delhalew
1/25/2011, 03:30 PM

Yeah, Sally...we do. Make it through that schedule, and tell me you won't be ready for anything.

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/25/2011, 05:15 PM
Talk about a schedule from hell (or heaven if you just want to see OU compete with really good programs). We could schedule OOC games with UT, NU and oSu (so we had at least one cupcake on the schedule)

SoonerPr8r
1/25/2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, Sally...we do. Make it through that schedule, and tell me you won't be ready for anything.

Not only that, but can you think of the recruits we will get. We were close to getting Julio Jones. Could you imagine if Bob had been able to tell him that he could come to OU and still be able to play in Georgia and Alabama and Florida? High profile players want to play on the biggest stage possible against the best competition. And with the ESPN love affair with the SEC what bigger stage is there?

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2011, 07:10 PM
Not only that, but can you think of the recruits we will get. We were close to getting Julio Jones. Could you imagine if Bob had been able to tell him that he could come to OU and still be able to play in Georgia and Alabama and Florida? High profile players want to play on the biggest stage possible against the best competition. And with the ESPN love affair with the SEC what bigger stage is there?

OU going to the SEC without Texas should be Longhorn fan's biggest fear. That is one thing that would hit their recruiting fairly substantially IMO.

Crimson Kid
1/25/2011, 09:20 PM
Bring it on. If you want to be the best you got to beat the best. I say go to the SEC and the conference champ is the national champ. F texass!

That's my opinion.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/25/2011, 11:33 PM
Let's face it guys, in the SEC..we would be lucky to win 3 games :( They are just too physical and fast :(

Soonerman82
1/26/2011, 01:13 AM
Let's face it guys, in the SEC..we would be lucky to win 3 games :( They are just too physical and fast :(

I really hope this is a sarcasm post

CORNholio
1/26/2011, 01:27 AM
Talk about a schedule from hell (or heaven if you just want to see OU compete with really good programs). We could schedule OOC games with UT, NU and oSu (so we had at least one cupcake on the schedule)

This. Would. Be. Awesome. Bama, Arky, LSU, Tenn or Florida from the east as well as the old three rivals every year would be pure entertainment as long as we never endure another decade like the 90s.

Future schedule could look something like this:

Okie State
Ole Miss
Florida
bye
Texas
Auburn
Arkansas
Miss State
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
LSU
Nebraska

That would be the greatest schedule in the history of college football.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/26/2011, 03:05 AM
Nothing sarcastic about it. Sam Bradford would have thrown for 12 yards in three years if he was in the SEC. His numbers would have been like 1-987 12 yards/0 TD's/986 INT's. Peterson would have rushed for negative 533 yards. OUr players have never seen the pure beast like ability of even a scrub SEC player. I mean look at the NFL this year. The Last 2 QB's standing..I bet they were in the SEC. That safety from Pittsburgh, Polamula, i bet he played for Florida or Alabama.

CORNholio
1/26/2011, 05:21 AM
Nothing sarcastic about it. Sam Bradford would have thrown for 12 yards in three years if he was in the SEC. His numbers would have been like 1-987 12 yards/0 TD's/986 INT's. Peterson would have rushed for negative 533 yards. OUr players have never seen the pure beast like ability of even a scrub SEC player. I mean look at the NFL this year. The Last 2 QB's standing..I bet they were in the SEC. That safety from Pittsburgh, Polamula, i bet he played for Florida or Alabama.

You're right anyone associated with OU would get blasted in the SEC. No ******* from Oklahoma can compete with any ******* from Mississippi. The superior race has arrived and it is anyone associated with the SEC. **** you Germany. Speed conquers all. and it is bound by the borders of the original confederacy. Everyone west and north of Texas has clubbed feet and should bow in honor of the atheletes that are the SEC.

agoo758
1/26/2011, 12:43 PM
And Boise State should go to the Big 12 because they have 7 whole years of tradition.

agoo758
1/26/2011, 12:44 PM
You're right anyone associated with OU would get blasted in the SEC. No ******* from Oklahoma can compete with any ******* from Mississippi. The superior race has arrived and it is anyone associated with the SEC. **** you Germany. Speed conquers all. and it is bound by the borders of the original confederacy. Everyone west and north of Texas has clubbed feet and should bow in honor of the atheletes that are the SEC.

You joke about it, but that is how these clowns here in Louisiana talk.

MojoRisen
1/26/2011, 12:55 PM
How many people on this board would be pissed with us going 10-2 and 9-3 every year...

101sooner
1/26/2011, 01:20 PM
How many people on this board would be pissed with us going 10-2 and 9-3 every year...

Thing is, if we get a playoff in a few years, 9-2 or even 8-3 against that kind of schedule would probably get us in a 8 team playoff.

Our boys would be READY.

Chuck Bao
1/26/2011, 04:56 PM
This IS the off-season and fans have to talk about something on fan message boards. And, the media has to create something to keep fans interested.

Although I love nothing better than the idea of the Sooners playing the best and beating the best on their home turf, I also find it very amusing that Sooner fans have such bravado and are so willing to degrade others. Heck yeah, I love seeing my beloved Sooners playing very competitive games every week on my TV in the short 12-13 week of the college football schedule, which essentially defines my idea of self worth as a Sooner fan.

Somehow, I don’t think Coach Bob Stoops would agree. OU President David Boren already said several years ago that he didn’t and that OSU is a package deal.

Despite TV ratings and fan pleasure in seeing some very high quality and sure-to-be epic football games after joining the SEC, it’s still all about the money. Some posters have already mentioned other sports and how our non-football student-athletes would suffer. That is very fair and right, in my opinion.

I think what is missing in this thread is actual money talk. The RRS is a money spinner for OU in terms of a university-donations-for-tickets dealio. The setup and history is just perfect.

Without a doubt, the Longhorn-ESPN contract changes the landscape a bit. But at the end of the day, it is still all about the money. If and when the large state universities want to really exploit fans for money, they can. That Longhorn Electricity concept launched a few years, comes to mind. With a guaranteed and consistent revenue source year-round, what’s not to like if you are a university admin?

Eventually the major universities will get into exploiting each facet of fans’ daily lives, but that’s dependent, obviously, on having a consistently winning football team and I am not sure the path to that is through the SEC conference.

Sooner95
1/26/2011, 06:11 PM
I'd really like the Big12 to stay together, but I'm a realist and it will probably be gone in 5 yrs or less.

So..if the SEC says come on in, then hell, we HAVE to join. One does not want to be left out in the cold after that.

heck yea it'll be tough, and although we'll keep the Whorns on the schedule, I doubt we'd play the pokes every yr. What's the point? lol

Nebraska? screw them too. Have fun with Indiana and the Cluckeyes.. yawn..

Anyways, The SEC doesn't scare me at all. Bama, LSU, good programs. Florida? pfft, they are about to embark on a run of 9-3's.. ark comes and goes, Auburn too, Miss and Miss st? yea, ok.

It's a tough Conf, no doubt, but as others have said. To be the best, you need to play the best, and that'd be fine with me.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/26/2011, 10:49 PM

granted OU lost those games.....BOTH had Gator and Tiger fans arses puckered to the end.

NOT COMPETITIVE.?????

go spend some time on this thread dude... http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150840

Sooner in Tampa
1/27/2011, 07:39 AM
granted OU lost those games.....BOTH had Gator and Tiger fans arses puckered to the end.

NOT COMPETITIVE.?????

go spend some time on this thread dude... http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150840

Dude...save yourself...Do NOT reply to any of SoCali's posts...His only goal is to push peoples buttons...he really doesn't give two ****s about OU or the Sooners...he is just a antagonist

Saul Good
1/27/2011, 09:55 AM
I still don't understand what was so wrong with the offer from the Pac 10. 90% of our conference games would remain within the Big 12 borders. People were complaining about the travel/logistical issues but our half of that deal was The Big 12 South plus Arizona and Arizona St. That is a heck of a lot of basketball, soccer, baseball games in Ok and Texas.

Solid conference but not the gauntlet the SEC is. I will never truly understand why we didn't take that offer.

Mixer!
1/27/2011, 12:04 PM
I got an idea why...

http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photofiles/list/2179/2846money_sack.jpg

SGA
1/27/2011, 02:17 PM
You guys have absolutely no reason to believe me and that's fine, but I am hearing from some very close friends of mine in the upper ranks of donorship at A&M that both A&M and OU are SEC-bound.

I'm being very serious, but I seriously understand why none of you would take me seriously. Cereal.

Half a Hundred
1/27/2011, 03:03 PM
Somehow, I don’t think Coach Bob Stoops would agree. OU President David Boren already said several years ago that he didn’t and that OSU is a package deal.

A lot has changed since then. I don't know what the financial situation is right now, but it's certainly possible that the numbers have rendered this point moot. I don't want to speculate too much.

Despite TV ratings and fan pleasure in seeing some very high quality and sure-to-be epic football games after joining the SEC, it’s still all about the money. Some posters have already mentioned other sports and how our non-football student-athletes would suffer. That is very fair and right, in my opinion.

I think what is missing in this thread is actual money talk. The RRS is a money spinner for OU in terms of a university-donations-for-tickets dealio. The setup and history is just perfect.

Problem is that it seems like Texas doesn't really care that much anymore about tradition - the value of their brand was as high as it ever was last year, and their collapse this year has sent them into somewhat of a panicked rush. For example, I can see them making silly gambits, like demanding that the RRS be shown on their network exclusively, or through those auspices on ESPN (who would be on board, provided they did not already have a deal with Oklahoma). This may seem insane, but Texas is acting as if they are invincible right now. It does not seem like reason and good sense are directing them at the moment - otherwise, they would have agreed to some concessions to keep Nebraska in the conference.

Without a doubt, the Longhorn-ESPN contract changes the landscape a bit. But at the end of the day, it is still all about the money. If and when the large state universities want to really exploit fans for money, they can. That Longhorn Electricity concept launched a few years, comes to mind. With a guaranteed and consistent revenue source year-round, what’s not to like if you are a university admin?

Eventually the major universities will get into exploiting each facet of fans’ daily lives, but that’s dependent, obviously, on having a consistently winning football team and I am not sure the path to that is through the SEC conference.

The SEC would be tough to play in. Unfortunately, I see the familiar Okie inferiority complex popping up at points in this thread. You've got to understand - the teams already in the conference would be scared to play OU every year. The Oklahoma Sooners, winners of seven national championships, alma mater of five Heisman Trophy winners, 43-time conference champions, and ESPN's #1 program of the modern era - tell me that's not intimidating.

The other nice thing is that we would never be able to take a week off. Every game would be an absolute dogfight, and if we make it through that schedule, we'll be ready for anyone. How does that not excite you?

Saul Good
1/27/2011, 03:45 PM
You guys have absolutely no reason to believe me and that's fine, but I am hearing from some very close friends of mine in the upper ranks of donorship at A&M that both A&M and OU are SEC-bound.

I'm being very serious, but I seriously understand why none of you would take me seriously. Cereal.

Serious?;)

GottaHavePride
1/27/2011, 09:36 PM
I'll take this team and play any sucker in the country!

Wait, what?

AlboSooner
1/27/2011, 09:37 PM
Let's go West.

King Crimson
1/27/2011, 10:05 PM
i don't think ATM wants the SEC as badly as they think they do. it opens Houston and southeast Texas to SEC recruiting, esp border states like LSU.

King Barry's Back
1/27/2011, 10:19 PM
And let me say that A&M is an irrational player in all of this. It wouldn't shock me if they left...because it's such a bottom-up movement down there to SECede.

But there's no excuse for A&M to be as terribly mediocre as they've almost always been. The Horns have them so mind-****ed that it's ridiculous.

They constantly proclaim defeat before they try and they have a can't-do culture....OU isn't like that. Again -- our history of excellence makes us believe that we can do anything...because we already have. We don't fear UT's natural advantages like A&M does. They're looking for a way out -- like Arkansas did. We're looking for a way to beat them again.

Spot on, Octavian. I think the whole "SEC movement" at A&M is purely concocted by athletic non-professionals (meaning fans and maybe some people like regents or big donors who got there through money rather than understanding college athletics) who have take little-brotherism to an extreme.

They resent UT being the big dog in the state, they are sick of being the little dog, and they don't like the long-term trend of the rich getting richer.

Rather than addressing the issues that make them be such a little dog, they prefer to take their football and leave.

Nice tantrum and they might enjoy themselves for a few months, but then they'd just wake up and be the little dogs of the SEC and ignored by UT.

Hey, didn't Nebraska just do the same thing?

BudSooner
1/28/2011, 07:04 AM
I'll take this team and play any sucker in the country!

Wait, what?I like RESOLVE, or was that Windex.

CORNDOGS!!!!

:D