PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Cleaning at the dentist office - Love it or Hate it?

soonerbrat
1/24/2011, 06:01 PM
I love it. I'd go to the dentist once a month if my insurance would pay...alas, they only pay for two cleanings a year. I went this morning and got a fluoride treatment too. plus I love the free tooth care kit they give me...floss, toothpaste, toothbrush and mouthwash.

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 06:10 PM
I love lying to my dentist.

When is the last time you flossed?

Oh......about 6 months ago when you did it.

And I love getting my teeth cleaned. Hate the scraping noise, but once they are done it feels so good. Running your tongue over your teeth. ALLSOME!

OhU1
1/24/2011, 06:23 PM
My last hygienist looked like a model. I liked it. My current one looks like the gym teacher in the Porky's movie. Do not like.

IndySooner
1/24/2011, 06:25 PM
All depends on what the hygienist looks like. Mine is very good looking and likes to get close, so yeah, I like it.

SoCaliSooner
1/24/2011, 06:28 PM
My wife is the hygienist...and she's pretty good.

DIB
1/24/2011, 06:30 PM

Yeah she is...

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 06:34 PM

Yeah she is...

I like it when she runs her tongue over my teeth too

SoCaliSooner
1/24/2011, 06:57 PM
I like it when she runs her tongue over my teeth too
Guys usually like getting the nipple in their ear while she's working on them....

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 07:00 PM
She gets offended when I put a dollar in her panties.

SoCaliSooner
1/24/2011, 07:00 PM

No she doesn't. It's how she paid her way through school...and how we met.

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 07:14 PM
No way!!!!!

I thought that was just a myth about them working their way through school.

I'll be darned.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 07:25 PM
Don't mind the cleaning; hate the lecturing. Just stfu and clean my teeth.

FirstandGoal
1/24/2011, 08:15 PM
I love lying to my dentist.

When is the last time you flossed?

Oh......about 6 months ago when you did it.

And I love getting my teeth cleaned. Hate the scraping noise, but once they are done it feels so good. Running your tongue over your teeth. ALLSOME!

Gross!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Seriously, flossing on a daily basis gives you that good feeling every day.

Did you know that plaque and build up when you don't floss for even 24 hours. I seriously can't even think about falling asleep unless my teeth are clean

A Sooner in Texas
1/24/2011, 08:18 PM
Gross!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Seriously, flossing on a daily basis gives you that good feeling every day.

Did you know that plaque and build up when you don't floss for even 24 hours. I seriously can't even think about falling asleep unless my teeth are clean

A good rinsing with OVJ in a WaterPik will no doubt do the trick.

FirstandGoal
1/24/2011, 08:23 PM
A good rinsing with OVJ in a WaterPik will no doubt do the trick.

Hell, that just might knock some of the enamel off of my teeth! :P

Thaumaturge
1/24/2011, 09:17 PM
You just have to floss for the two weeks leading up to the appointment. They can't tell.

Curly Bill
1/24/2011, 09:50 PM
Don't mind the cleaning; hate the lecturing. Just stfu and clean my teeth.

So...we're in agreement on something...:confused:

OUthunder
1/24/2011, 10:23 PM
Went last week. Our hygenist is very cute and very friendly. Definitely doable but she is married w/children.

Have to get a crown on one of my back teeth. I hate dental procedures but he gave me a Valium 10mg and some Vicoprofen to take the day of the procedure and a few for later. :D

I like my dentist, friendly and cuts to the chase. Most importantly he's not hurried or impatient. He is however...a Poke.

FirstandGoal
1/24/2011, 10:38 PM
My dentist also happens to be my dad. Its really nice for when you have a dental emergency, but it was hell growing up and not being able to ever have a sucker.

soonercruiser
1/24/2011, 11:36 PM
"Become one with the hygienist" Llittle Grasshoppers.
(Or, just save your $$ for implants to help hold in your dentures by age 60!)

There is not very much research to support just using a Waterpick or other oral irrigation device plus any mouth rinse will completely remove all plaque between teeth. Irrigation devices are of most benefit to patients with increased gum pocket depths, like Periodontal disease patients; or very handicapped patients who canot accomplish their own care.

The newest, most promising technology is a small vibrating tip that ultrasonically whips around between the teeth, rather than manually rubbing floss with your fingers. The increased cleaning efficiency would be like comparing brushing by hand (my personal preference) to a rotating & vibrating mechanical tooth brush. (research to come on the Waterpic FLA flosser or Oral B Hummingbird)

Actually, the dentist usually tells the hygienist all the stuff that he/she is afraid/uncomfortable saying to the patient....so that the hygienist can bore you with it, and then you can get upset at them! :D

Ton Loc
1/24/2011, 11:53 PM
I like the dentist.
I like to eat a couple oreos right before I go just to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

That super clean feeling every six months is nice.

But I don't floss. Too much hassle - plus I haven't had a cavity in 13 years.

soonerbrat
1/24/2011, 11:55 PM
i got this fluoride treatment today, a fluoride veneer that they paint on, and she said not to brush my teeth until tomorrow...there's no way I can stand to go without brushing before I go to bed, I usually brush'em after lunch too, but I waited...she said it was best if I didn't brush tonight but if I couldn't stand it to leave the stuff on at least 6 hours..now it won't come off and I have white fluoride spots. has anyone else ever had this stuff? how long did it take to come off? it's gritty and my teeth don't have that nice smooth just cleaned at the dentist office feeling.

the choices for fluoride treatment were 2-30 second foam treatments, paint on gel or the veneer.

FirstandGoal
1/25/2011, 12:22 AM
Sorry brat, I have no idea. Personally I can't stand any kind of flouride treatment and skip the flouride rinse at the end because that crap nauseates the hell out of me and it gives me the most horrible heartburn for days afterwards.

soonerbrat
1/25/2011, 12:43 AM
Sorry brat, I have no idea. Personally I can't stand any kind of flouride treatment and skip the flouride rinse at the end because that crap nauseates the hell out of me and it gives me the most horrible heartburn for days afterwards.

this stuff is not a rinse, it's weird. they paint it on your teeth and it makes a sortof crust and it staysthere all day.

just patches left. hopefully it'll

SoonerNate
1/25/2011, 01:06 AM
My dentist also happens to be my dad. Its really nice for when you have a dental emergency, but it was hell growing up and not being able to ever have a sucker.

LOL. That would suck (no pun intended)

Pricetag
1/25/2011, 01:58 AM
i got this fluoride treatment today, a fluoride veneer that they paint on, and she said not to brush my teeth until tomorrow...there's no way I can stand to go without brushing before I go to bed, I usually brush'em after lunch too, but I waited...she said it was best if I didn't brush tonight but if I couldn't stand it to leave the stuff on at least 6 hours..now it won't come off and I have white fluoride spots. has anyone else ever had this stuff? how long did it take to come off? it's gritty and my teeth don't have that nice smooth just cleaned at the dentist office feeling.

the choices for fluoride treatment were 2-30 second foam treatments, paint on gel or the veneer.
Heh, I clicked on this thread to talk about the veneer treatment. They pushed this on me the last time, as well. She gave me the same advice about brushing, but told me I could eat immediately.

Well, it didn't survive lunch. It came off in what felt like huge flecks. I took a look at my teeth, and they were all patchy, just like you said. I couldn't stand it, so I scraped off what I could see with my fingernail. But I'd only had it on for an hour or so.

I hated every second I had it on my teeth. It felt like I hadn't brushed in weeks. And the kicker is that insurance doesn't cover it--I paid 21 bucks for it. I'm going to pass next time. I've gone this long without it, and I figure I can keep doing without it.

MamaMia
1/25/2011, 03:58 AM
I love it. I'd go to the dentist once a month if my insurance would pay...alas, they only pay for two cleanings a year. I went this morning and got a fluoride treatment too. plus I love the free tooth care kit they give me...floss, toothpaste, toothbrush and mouthwash.What? No treasure chest toy? ;)

buccalgroove
1/25/2011, 09:04 AM
the treatment is not a fluoride veneer it is called a fluoride varnish. The varnish seals the roots and supplies fluoride to the tooth

OUmillenium
1/25/2011, 09:33 AM
love it

saucysoonergal
1/25/2011, 09:49 AM
Oral hygiene is very very very important to me. I floss at least 3 times a day. I also use an ultrasonic toothbrush. I like my visits to the dentist as it gets rid of everything I miss and I love to run my tounge across my teeth and feel the perfect smoothness after they are done!!!

FirstandGoal
1/25/2011, 11:08 AM
Its also great for sticking to your diet. For days after a cleaning I make sure to avoid all unnecessary sugars because I don't want to undo all the work that they did at the office.

proud gonzo
1/25/2011, 01:24 PM
I absolutely love my dentist and the lady who cleans my teeth. My family has been going to the same dentist since my mom was pregnant with GHP. They're basically extended family. They have our baby pictures on their wall--I'm not kidding. I have to take someone with me when I get my teeth cleaned, though, because she always wants to know how we're doing, what's new, what we've been up to, and it's very difficult to answer questions with dental tools in your mouth.

I don't even mind dental procedures so much--they always give me laughing gas before the shot, because if they didn't I'd hurt people. My dentist took out all 4 of my wisdom teeth that way, right there in his office. No IV, no anasthetic, no stitches. Pretty awesome.

I've been known to stop by the dentist's office just to say hi. Or take them cookies.

oumartin
1/25/2011, 01:30 PM
I hate the polish they put on after they clean my teeth. If I go on an empty stomach it makes me sick. Flouride causes alzheimers so we all have that to look foward too.

I have a great hygentist story or two but it might ruin my wholesome image.

soonerbrat
1/25/2011, 01:49 PM
Heh, I clicked on this thread to talk about the veneer treatment. They pushed this on me the last time, as well. She gave me the same advice about brushing, but told me I could eat immediately.

Well, it didn't survive lunch. It came off in what felt like huge flecks. I took a look at my teeth, and they were all patchy, just like you said. I couldn't stand it, so I scraped off what I could see with my fingernail. But I'd only had it on for an hour or so.

I hated every second I had it on my teeth. It felt like I hadn't brushed in weeks. And the kicker is that insurance doesn't cover it--I paid 21 bucks for it. I'm going to pass next time. I've gone this long without it, and I figure I can keep doing without it.

it's been over 24 hours and i still can't get it off. my teeth feel all gritty :(

GrapevineSooner
1/25/2011, 01:57 PM
We love our dentist.

But his office manager is a b*tch so we stopped going. :(

IB4OU2
1/25/2011, 02:34 PM
What? No treasure chest toy? ;)

Brat's not that easy Mama.

OUthunder
1/25/2011, 03:00 PM
I hate the polish they put on after they clean my teeth. If I go on an empty stomach it makes me sick. Flouride causes alzheimers so we all have that to look foward too.

I have a great hygentist story or two but it might ruin my wholesome image.

It's the off season, go ahead.

oumartin
1/25/2011, 03:11 PM
It's the off season, go ahead.

Lets just say at the turn of the century there was this hygentist in Bartlesville when I lived there.

soonerboomer93
1/25/2011, 03:29 PM

She wants a fiver minimum

soonercruiser
1/25/2011, 04:33 PM
the treatment is not a fluoride veneer it is called a fluoride varnish. The varnish seals the roots and supplies fluoride to the tooth

Bingo!
It will eventually brush off. But, by that time, it has done it's work in recalcifying any decalcificating spots.

soonercruiser
1/25/2011, 04:34 PM
I absolutely love my dentist and the lady who cleans my teeth. My family has been going to the same dentist since my mom was pregnant with GHP. They're basically extended family. They have our baby pictures on their wall--I'm not kidding. I have to take someone with me when I get my teeth cleaned, though, because she always wants to know how we're doing, what's new, what we've been up to, and it's very difficult to answer questions with dental tools in your mouth.

I don't even mind dental procedures so much--they always give me laughing gas before the shot, because if they didn't I'd hurt people. My dentist took out all 4 of my wisdom teeth that way, right there in his office. No IV, no anasthetic, no stitches. Pretty awesome.

I've been known to stop by the dentist's office just to say hi. Or take them cookies.

Gonzo!
Save the gas money! Just mail the cookies to me.
I will send you my addy.
:D

soonerbrat
1/25/2011, 04:36 PM

well whatever it is, the hygenist called it a veneer.

NormanPride
1/25/2011, 04:47 PM
And apparently it sucks.

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 09:48 AM
I'd rather crawl across broken glass on my bare knees than have those torture queens dig at my teeth. ****ing hate it with every ounce of my being.

That being said, I go every 6-months. I got them cleaned day before yesterday while I was home for the weekend. I don't have a problem with the shots, fillings, or crowns. The ultra-sonic cleaning deal is a little better, but when they get that damned pick out and start digging it drives me up the wall. Worse than nails on a chalkboard. Even worse than hearing "I've been working on the railroad" all day on a Saturday every October in Dallas.

I also don't like it when they earhole me with their titties. Get the **** off me and clean my teeth. If I rubbed my dick all over you you'd be filing charges.

SoCaliSooner
1/26/2011, 10:40 AM

I also don't like it when they earhole me with their titties. Get the **** off me and clean my teeth. If I rubbed my dick all over you you'd be filing charges.

Why do you hate the titties?

MamaMia
1/26/2011, 12:58 PM
I'd rather crawl across broken glass on my bare knees than have those torture queens dig at my teeth. ****ing hate it with every ounce of my being.

That being said, I go every 6-months. I got them cleaned day before yesterday while I was home for the weekend. I don't have a problem with the shots, fillings, or crowns. The ultra-sonic cleaning deal is a little better, but when they get that damned pick out and start digging it drives me up the wall. Worse than nails on a chalkboard. Even worse than hearing "I've been working on the railroad" all day on a Saturday every October in Dallas.

Oh... they probably wouldn't even notice. :P

2121Sooner
1/26/2011, 01:00 PM

Stands up......starts slow clap.

RacerX
1/26/2011, 01:59 PM
well whatever it is, the hygenist called it a veneer.

VENEER!!! (takes a drink)

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 02:30 PM

True. They'd think it was just my leg.

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 02:33 PM
Why do you hate the titties?

I don't. I just think guys who get off on some bimbo hygienist rubbing their titties all over you while they clean your teeth are ****ing weird. You titty boys must never have breast fed or something.

I mean here you are with your yapper hanging open and your stinkin' breaf and rotten teef right in her grill. She's got a bunch of stainless steel hardware all jammed in your face. Yeah, that's sexy. Nothing says "rub your titties all over me" like that. Meh.

Howzit
1/26/2011, 02:34 PM
I also don't like it when they earhole me with their titties.

If it was a weener you'd be all over it.

Double entendre entendre'ed,

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 02:34 PM
If it was a weener you'd be all over it.

Double entendre entendre'ed,

You, sir, have me mixed up with STEP.

Howzit
1/26/2011, 02:38 PM
You, sir, have me mixed up with STEP.

is that what you kids are calling it these days?

C&CDean
1/26/2011, 02:39 PM
is that what you kids are calling it these days?

There's a mary jane thread over on the football board with your name written all over it.

Howzit
1/26/2011, 04:04 PM
don't harsh my mellow, dude.

Penguin
1/27/2011, 04:28 PM
Just got back from dentist. I love the clean teeth. I hate the rubber glove breath.

soonerbrat
1/27/2011, 05:05 PM
the fluoride stuff finally came off my teeth and they feel nice and clean now.

Billy'sOUfan
1/27/2011, 08:07 PM
Do you expect to get your teeth flossed every time you go to dentist? My wife doesn't like our dentist because he (or the hygenist) doesn't floss her teeth. I don't expect it. I expect him to tell me to floss my own damn teeth. The only time I've ever had my teeth flossed at a dentist is when I got a new crown and they flossed just to make sure the fit was right.

soonercruiser
1/27/2011, 10:23 PM
Just got back from dentist. I love the clean teeth. I hate the rubber glove breath.

We hate using latex gloves.
But nooooo wayyyy I'm putin' my hand in YOUR mouth without gloves.....thick.....rubber gloves! :P

proud gonzo
1/27/2011, 11:23 PM
Do you expect to get your teeth flossed every time you go to dentist? My wife doesn't like our dentist because he (or the hygenist) doesn't floss her teeth. I don't expect it. I expect him to tell me to floss my own damn teeth. The only time I've ever had my teeth flossed at a dentist is when I got a new crown and they flossed just to make sure the fit was right.
yes, I expect to have my teeth flossed every time. Flossed, scraped, polished

jkjsooner
1/28/2011, 10:40 AM
My last hygienist looked like a model. I liked it. My current one looks like the gym teacher in the Porky's movie. Do not like.

I prefer the fugly ones. I don't want the good looking ones looking at my messed up cavity filled teeth.

btk108
1/28/2011, 06:44 PM
I don't. I just think guys who get off on some bimbo hygienist rubbing their titties all over you while they clean your teeth are ****ing weird. You titty boys must never have breast fed or something.

I mean here you are with your yapper hanging open and your stinkin' breaf and rotten teef right in her grill. She's got a bunch of stainless steel hardware all jammed in your face. Yeah, that's sexy. Nothing says "rub your titties all over me" like that. Meh.

It must....because they do. :P

King Barry's Back
1/31/2011, 06:53 AM

Ha! My Dad's a dentist too. To this day, I still can't stand sugar-free gum. He wouldn't let us have regular gum!

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 11:23 AM
We hate using latex gloves.
But nooooo wayyyy I'm putin' my hand in YOUR mouth without gloves.....thick.....rubber gloves! :P

nitrile are the way to go - they don't smell bad like latex. Used to use the nitrile blue ones when I worked in the lab, and they were my favorite.

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 11:30 AM
and yes, I expect the hygenist to floss my teeth.

StoopTroup
1/31/2011, 12:46 PM
As long as the cleanings don't reduce the amount the insurance pays out in repairs each year...I don't mind it. If it does....I can clean them myself. Get the damn Dentist in here...do some xrays if he sees something wrong and then fix the damn thing.

RacerX
1/31/2011, 02:27 PM
My girls' dentist has bubble gum and grape flavored gloves.....I saw the box.

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 02:31 PM
my insurance pays 100% for preventative care twice a year, but i'm not sure what the percentage is for fillings and stuff. I have only had one filling in a long, long time...and that was because my last dentist replaced all my silver fillings with the white ones and I guess he left a space under one of them, it got a cavity under the filling. my new dentist almost had to do a root canal on it :eek:

I Am Right
1/31/2011, 04:11 PM
Not bad, as long as the dental hygenist has a large rack.

btk108
1/31/2011, 11:51 PM
does your insurance give you $1 bills for tips?