PDA

View Full Version : Rahm Emanuel Deemed Ineligible for Chicago Mayor

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 02:39 PM
An Illinois Appellate Court today ruled that former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is not an eligible candidate for mayor of Chicago because he has not been a legal resident of the city for at least one year

You cant really blame him for trying. I mean come on, he worked for a man who was born in Kenya and became President.

:pop:

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/24/2011, 03:01 PM
2/10

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/24/2011, 03:03 PM
An Illinois Appellate Court today ruled that former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is not an eligible candidate for mayor of Chicago because he has not been a legal resident of the city for at least one year

You cant really blame him for trying. I mean come on, he worked for a man who once lived in Chicago and became President.

:pop:FIFY

jumperstop
1/24/2011, 03:10 PM
Seems like they would have thought about this before running...

ouduckhunter
1/24/2011, 03:24 PM
I'd love to hear who screwed the pooch on this one! Heads will roll!

Jammin'
1/24/2011, 03:31 PM
I'd love to hear who screwed the pooch on this one! Heads will roll!

I assume it's W's fault.

SoonerNate
1/24/2011, 03:51 PM
I assume it's W's fault.

or Palin. They'll blame someone else. That's how they operate.

3rdgensooner
1/24/2011, 03:52 PM
or Palin. They'll blame someone else. That's how they operate.Who are "they"?

SoonerNate
1/24/2011, 03:53 PM
Who are "they"?

The media and the libtards.

3rdgensooner
1/24/2011, 03:54 PM
the libtards.you seem nice

sappstuf
1/24/2011, 03:55 PM
Come on... This is Chicago!

I expect a couple of politically motivated shootings and briefcases of cash to turn up before this is settled.

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 04:01 PM
you seem nice

I dont think you're being very sincere

Okla-homey
1/24/2011, 04:06 PM
The really sad part is, this virtually serves the Chicago Mayoralty on a platter to Carol Mosely Brown.

SoonerNate
1/24/2011, 04:07 PM
you seem nice

When the President I voted for was in power he was treated quite unfairly. Sorry if I'm not an angel in return to this one. Payback is a b*tch.

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 04:09 PM
When the President I voted for was in power he was treated quite unfairly. Sorry if I'm not an angel in return to this one. Payback is a b*tch.

So is 3G.

3rdgensooner
1/24/2011, 04:10 PM
When the President I voted for was in power he was treated quite unfairly. Sorry if I'm not an angel in return to this one. Payback is a b*tch.Who and how exactly are you paying back through the SoonerFans.com message board?

Jammin'
1/24/2011, 04:12 PM
Mods, is there a feature to restrict assclowns from quoting me?

If not, add one. TIA.

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 04:13 PM
Mods, is there a feature to restrict assclowns from quoting me?

If not, add one. TIA.

No there isnt

Jammin'
1/24/2011, 04:14 PM
No there isnt

MODS!!!

3rdgensooner
1/24/2011, 04:15 PM
So is 3G.I know you are but what am I?

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 04:27 PM
MODS!!!

quitcherbitching......

I know you are but what am I?

I actually meant it as a compliment. You know I did.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2011, 04:36 PM
The really sad part is, this virtually serves the Chicago Mayoralty on a platter to Carol Mosely Brown.

So they'll get the gov't they deserve.

OULenexaman
1/24/2011, 04:42 PM
I don't live there anymore so I don't give a **** but it sure is damn funny...Rahm is one arroggant ******* ****head mother****er POS.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/24/2011, 07:13 PM
The really sad part is, this virtually serves the Chicago Mayoralty on a platter to Carol Mosely Brown.Are you saying that's worse than Rahm(don't ever let a serious crisis go to waste)Emanuel?

REDREX
1/24/2011, 07:17 PM
The really sad part is, this virtually serves the Chicago Mayoralty on a platter to Carol Mosely Brown.---She is a bigger crook than Rahm----She will fit right in

soonercruiser
1/24/2011, 11:45 PM

As in...."What goes around, comes around".
Obama and his helpers used all the Illinois rules to kick some of his competitors out of elections in the past too.
And these clowns think that the Supreme Court should put everything else on their docket on hold to resolve the issue???

Wrong! It is a Illinois state issue!
You live by the sword; you die by the sword! :P
Maybe he can get on a D.C. ballot for Mayor.

Wishboned
1/25/2011, 10:55 AM
Now who are all the dead people going to vote for?

OULenexaman
1/25/2011, 11:37 AM
Harold Washington....

3rdgensooner
1/25/2011, 11:51 AM
"A court has ruled that Rahm Emanuel is not legally allowed to run for mayor of Chicago, which in Chicago I believe means he won." ~ Stephen Colbert

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2011, 12:07 PM
So, I wonder if he can Chicago strong arm the IL Supreme Court???

OutlandTrophy
1/25/2011, 01:37 PM
So, I wonder if he can Chicago strong arm the IL Supreme Court???

yep

OULenexaman
1/25/2011, 03:33 PM
Court hands Emanuel a win. BREAKING NEWS: Illinois Supreme Court to hear Emanuel appeal
(CNN) – The Illinois Supreme Court will take up a ruling that would keep Rahm Emanuel off the Chicago mayoral ballot, and the court has agreed to a motion for an expedited ruling.

There will be no oral arguments in the case; the justices will use briefs already filed to the appeals court.

This should be be pushed through behind closed doors overnight. Quicker than Obamacare!!

The Profit
1/25/2011, 03:37 PM
Not a big Rahm Emanuel fan, but the appeals court should have never ruled against him in the first place. The Supreme Court will do the right thing.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2011, 04:06 PM
The Supreme Court will do the right thing.

Which is keep him off the ballot. He was in no way a resident of IL, he picked up and moved his family to D.C., he didn't return on weekends and maintain an apartment in Chi-town.

soonercruiser
1/25/2011, 04:29 PM
Not a big Rahm Emanuel fan, but the appeals court should have never ruled against him in the first place. The Supreme Court will do the right thing.

WRONG AGAIN!
As the local law reads, he must have personally resided in Chicago for a year prior to being on the ballot. If the Il Supreme Court rules in his favor, they are making new law!
His job in Washington only qualifies him in the case that he wants to "vote in Chicago".

Midtowner
1/25/2011, 04:35 PM
WRONG AGAIN!
As the local law reads, he must have personally resided in Chicago for a year prior to being on the ballot. If the Il Supreme Court rules in his favor, they are making new law!
His job in Washington only qualifies him in the case that he wants to "vote in Chicago".

I don't think I'd go that far, it wouldn't be "new law," but it would sure be a unique interpretation of a residency requirement. It would seem to me that one would have to actually live someplace to be deemed to live there, but what the hell do I know? I'm no appellate court judge, so rewriting laws beyond standardly accepted definitions ain't my cup 'o tea.

If Emanuel doesn't get to be a candidate, the most interesting thing to watch will be the fallout in the Chicago political machine not getting its way. That'll be a sight to behold. Expect lots of infighting. Should be worth the price of admission.

soonerscuba
1/25/2011, 04:47 PM
You guys realize he was certified by the election board, trial court and has precedent on his side, right? I would love to hear the argument about how being one being able to vote should endure a different test to be a candidate should they follow IL law that allows one to leave the state for temporary employment, and in service to the president, no less.

Wishboned
1/25/2011, 05:05 PM
You guys realize he was certified by the election board, trial court and has precedent on his side, right? I would love to hear the argument about how being one being able to vote should endure a different test to be a candidate should they follow IL law that allows one to leave the state for temporary employment, and in service to the president, no less.

“We can’t mix up the Election Code and the Municipal Code,” Odelson said. The Municipal Code covers eligibility to run for municipal office and the Election Code only covers eligibility to vote, he said. Odelson said candidates get thrown off the ballot every election cycle including this one for not following Illinois’ strict election rules.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/3391778-418/abdon-apallasch-appellate-attorneys-com.html

soonerscuba
1/25/2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/3391778-418/abdon-apallasch-appellate-attorneys-com.htmlAbsolutely true, but overlooks those who have been allowed to continue within the process under the same standard. I think that paying taxes, maintaining physical property and leaving for service at very minimum allows the voters to decide whether or not you deserve the job.

Whet
1/25/2011, 06:01 PM
No, it does not! He left, took all his possessions, rented out his empty house, was gone for almost 2 years, and only decided to return because da Mayor wanted him to be his successor.

The Democrat machine is so intertwined in Chicago, it like an Arkansas family! The Illinois Supreme Court will rule in Rahm's favor, not because the Appeals court was wrong, but because the Machine owns the Supreme Court and the Machine wants Rahm to be the next mayor. The Machine knows he will keep the secrets with the fishes....

OULenexaman
1/25/2011, 06:14 PM
No, it does not! He left, took all his possessions, rented out his empty house, was gone for almost 2 years, and only decided to return because da Mayor wanted him to be his successor.

The Democrat machine is so intertwined in Chicago, it like an Arkansas family! The Illinois Supreme Court will rule in Rahm's favor, not because the Appeals court was wrong, but because the Machine owns the Supreme Court and the Machine wants Rahm to be the next mayor. The Machine knows he will keep the secrets with the fishes....

And there you have it folks.....with the fish all wrapped up tightly in a newspaper...

soonerscuba
1/25/2011, 06:29 PM
Except for the whole having possessions in the house and machine politics working in directly against Emanuel via the appellate court appointment process and having case law favor Rahm, it's pretty much a slam dunk. Suck on that liberals, now you have to pretend like you might elect another liberal for 2 days in a city I hate.

soonercruiser
1/25/2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/3391778-418/abdon-apallasch-appellate-attorneys-com.html

Good article on summation of the court arguments.