PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Giffords Needs to be Expelled...

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 05:37 PM
Nobody seems to want to say this publicly, but at some point (soon) Giffords is going to have to resign her office (if she's cognizant enough to do so). If she can't do that, then I'm afraid Congress is going to have to expel her. That's the only other means for removing a Congressman from office that I'm aware of. I'm not sure this kind of thing has ever happened before, so I'm not sure what other mechanism may exist for removing her from office.

Nonetheless, the people of her district are without representation. That can't continue indefinitely as Giffords goes through a very long recovery process that might never see her fully recover.

Sure her staff can handle the day-to-day constituent services, but her district is still without a voting member of Congress representing their interests.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 05:40 PM
Nobody seems to want to say this publicly, but at some point (soon) Giffords is going to have to resign her office (if she's cognizant enough to do so). If she can't do that, then I'm afraid Congress is going to have to expel her. That's the only other means for removing a Congressman from office that I'm aware of. I'm not sure this kind of thing has ever happened before, so I'm not sure what other mechanism may exist for removing her from office.

Nonetheless, the people of her district are without representation. That can't continue indefinitely as Giffords goes through a very long recovery process that might never see her fully recover.

Sure her staff can handle the day-to-day constituent services, but her district is still without a voting member of Congress representing their interests.

I can't believe you are saying such a thing. Don't you realize that she was shot? You are a bad, bad person.

:cool:

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 05:42 PM
The Republicans have a good shot of picking up her seat since it's a fairly conservative district.

However, I'm going to predict right now that her husband runs for her seat in order to "hold" it for her until she recovers.

Okla-homey
1/22/2011, 05:44 PM
While I agree she is likely to have profound mental deficits, now is not the time to replace her. Besides, she's a "D" who won't be present for any House votes for the foreeable future. So its all good.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 05:44 PM
She is in no position to be representing that constituency. I'd like to see the Governor replace her with a person of her (the Governor's) choice.

Okla-homey
1/22/2011, 05:45 PM
The Republicans have a good shot of picking up her seat since it's a fairly conservative district.

However, I'm going to predict right now that her husband runs for her seat in order to "hold" it for her until she recovers.

He's a serving Naval officer. He cannot serve in Congress unless he retires.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 05:46 PM

LOL

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 05:49 PM

Yeah, but what if his military papers disappear?

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 05:49 PM
If Giffords isn't mentally stable than how is that any different than any other presently serving Democrat?

sappstuf
1/22/2011, 05:51 PM
If Giffords isn't mentally stable than how is that any different than any other presently serving Democrat?

http://jeffpicard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 05:52 PM
She is in no position to be representing that constituency. I'd like to see the Governor replace her with a person of her (the Governor's) choice.

A Governor can only appoint in the case of a Senate vacancy not a House vacancy and, in any case, a governor has no authority to remove someone from office.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 05:54 PM

I figured he'd be near retirement. I don't know what the average age is for astronauts, but it isn't like we have any great need for them these days since the manned space flight program has been eviscerated.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 06:02 PM
The Republicans have a good shot ofpicking up her seat since it's a fairly conservative district.

Can't we tone down the rhetoric here? ;)

Sooner02
1/22/2011, 06:06 PM
Shameful. She sustained a gunshot to the head. The House has 435 members, she can be absent until she recovers and it's not in any way hindering the work done there. She holds the seat, at a minimum, until 2013.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/22/2011, 06:07 PM
She has a nice set of gams.

I'm happy they didn't shoot her there.

cccasooner2
1/22/2011, 06:08 PM
A Governor can only appoint in the case of a Senate vacancy not a House vacancy and, in any case, a governor has no authority to remove someone from office.

Great, then the vegetables rule.

Sooner02
1/22/2011, 06:11 PM
The insensitivity on here is appalling. She should be given a badge of courage. Not a$$holes telling her to resign a seat she earned.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 06:12 PM
Shameful. She sustained a gunshot to the head. The House has 435 members, she can be absent until she recovers and it's not in any way hindering the work done there. She holds the seat, at a minimum, until 2013.

The House has 435 members...434 of which do not represent the people of Arizona's 8th District. It doesn't matter how many members of the House there are...only 1 represents her district and she's totally unable to do so. It's going to be a very long time before she can properly function as a sitting Congressman if ever.

And the idea that the district can or should go without representation for a full term is absolutely insane.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/22/2011, 06:12 PM
You didn't address the question.

Yes, it's horrendous she was shot. Yes, the bastard should fry.

But can she serve her constituency in the state she's in?

It's a legitimate question.

Sooner02
1/22/2011, 06:14 PM
And the idea that the district can or should go without representation for a full term is absolutely insane.

The idea that you can kick out a living member of Congress who was just reelected a few months ago is absolutely insane.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 06:17 PM
The idea that you can kick out a living member of Congress who was just reelected a few months ago is absolutely insane.

2 Months ago she didn't have a gunshot to the head. She's totally and wholly unable to perform her duties which was not the case 2 months ago.

Sooner02
1/22/2011, 06:22 PM
2 Months ago she didn't have a gunshot to the head. She's totally and wholly unable to perform her duties which was not the case 2 months ago.
There have been many Representatives and Senators who are ill or unable to make all votes, yet they are not threatened to be kicked out of office. They can't legally be ousted unless they have committed some criminal act, so to say she should be expelled is offensive and insulting.

If you asked voters in her district on whether or not she should resign, I have a feeling they would overwhelmingly say she should remain. If she chooses to resign, let that be her choice. The fact anyone's even discussing this is really unnerving and, frankly, inhumane.

Tiptonsooner
1/22/2011, 06:26 PM
Hate it that she or anyone else gets their feelers hurt, but Sicem is correct on this one...

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 06:26 PM
Here's a crazy idea. Why don't we wait and see how her recovery goes before jumping to conclusions? I'm assuming of course that you have personal knowledge of her medical condition and are therefore able to comment based on fact and not your own personal speculation.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 06:27 PM
There have been many Representatives and Senators who are ill or unable to make all votes, yet they are not threatened to be kicked out of office. They can't legally be ousted unless they have committed some criminal act, so to say she should be expelled is offensive and insulting.

If you asked voters in her district on whether or not she should resign, I have a feeling they would overwhelmingly say she should remain. If she chooses to resign, let that be her choice. The fact anyone's even discussing this is really unnerving and, frankly, inhumane.

Unnerving? Nut up and put your big boy pants on. Yes, members of Congress routinely miss votes. What they don't routinely do is miss votes for an entire term.

Sooner02
1/22/2011, 06:28 PM
By this logic, the Congress should have impeached Ronald Reagan for being shot and being unable to perform the duties of president.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 06:29 PM
By this logic, the Congress should have impeached Ronald Reagan for being shot and being unable to perform the duties of president.

BLASPHEMY!

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 06:32 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...1704300_2.html

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 06:34 PM

Big big difference...

First, there is a mechanism in place for a President. The duties of office temporarily fall to the Vice President so long as the President isn't capable of making decisions. This happens anytime the President has any kind of surgery or is even put under temporary sedation. It happened once or twice with W. Bush.

Second, Reagan was not shot in the head. He was always cognizant and never mentally impaired from performing his duties. The amount of work he was able to do varied, but he was working even while in the hospital.

Third, Reagan wasn't totally impaired and incapable of doing his job for his entire freakin' term.

Tiptonsooner
1/22/2011, 06:35 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...1704300_2.html

Link fail....

JohnnyMack
1/22/2011, 06:37 PM
Third, Reagan wasn't totally impaired and incapable of doing his job for his entire freakin' term.

Don't tell that to Ron Jr.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 06:38 PM

The Office of the President has a backup, the Vice President. Members of Congress have no such Plan B.

Also Reagan wasn't shot in the head. Her recovery is likely to be a long ordeal but Reagan was signing **** the day after the shooting.

Sooner02
Entirely debatable in hindsight.

But the difference is not that big. She's going to recover and come back. It takes someone like her to "nut up" and survive a gun shot to the head than someone calling for her to be kicked out for sustaining that injury.

JohnnyMack

Texas?

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 06:39 PM

They should have disowned that trouble maker. He isn't worth the space he takes up.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 06:39 PM

Ron Jr. is a little pixie that needs to be kicked in the vajaja.

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 06:40 PM

You do know he died of Alzheimers, right? He was likely showing some impairment during his second term, so argument fail.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 06:42 PM
You do know he died of Alzheimers, right? He was likely showing some impairment during his second term, so argument fail.

Due to a gunshot in the lungs? :confused:

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 06:43 PM
Due to a gunshot in the lungs? :confused:

Yes, because that's exactly how medical speculation works.:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 06:44 PM

Technically, he died from pneumonia while suffering from Alzheimers. As for the rest of what you said....bull****.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2011, 06:44 PM

Texas?

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 06:46 PM
Technically, he died from pneumonia while suffering from Alzheimers. As for the rest of what you said....bull****.

How do you know? Do you also have access to Reagan's medical records as well as Giffords?

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 06:57 PM
How do you know? Do you also have access to Reagan's medical records as well as Giffords?

How do you know? You're the one that put that out there about Reagan. At the end of Reagan's last term, there was no public indication that I'm aware of in any shape, form, or fashion to indicate that Reagan was suffering or that he was incapable of performing his duties.

Giffords is another story. Her doctors have indicated that they're not sure she's even capable of speaking yet. I'm sure she'll make a full recovery, and when she does I have no doubt that she'd easily win her seat back. Until then, the responsible thing to do is ensure the people of the 8th district are fully represented in Congress. You suggested we wait...for how long? How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait while her constituents lack representation? Keep in mind that the special election will take several months even after it gets called by the Governor.

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 07:12 PM
How do you know? You're the one that put that out there about Reagan. At the end of Reagan's last term, there was no public indication that I'm aware of in any shape, form, or fashion to indicate that Reagan was suffering or that he was incapable of performing his duties.

Giffords is another story. Her doctors have indicated that they're not sure she's even capable of speaking yet. I'm sure she'll make a full recovery, and when she does I have no doubt that she'd easily win her seat back. Until then, the responsible thing to do is ensure the people of the 8th district are fully represented in Congress. You suggested we wait...for how long? How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait while her constituents lack representation? Keep in mind that the special election will take several months even after it gets called by the Governor.

You started the entire medical speculation theme with your original post. I freely admitted in my posts that I'm speculating. In fact, let me say it again - I AM SPECULATING ON RONALD REAGAN'S MEDICAL CONDITION BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO HIS MEDICAL RECORDS.

Unless you have some medical records to back up what you said about Reagan and Giffords, then you too are merely guessing.

But you go right on ahead with this. I'm working and this is entertaining.

AlbqSooner
1/22/2011, 07:16 PM
You suggested we wait...for how long? How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait while her constituents lack representation? Keep in mind that the special election will take several months even after it gets called by the Governor.

Well Dr. Sic Em I guess you are suggesting we pull the plug and let her die then.

Ted Kennedy? Did you call for his ouster when he had a brain tumor? William O. Douglas? Did you call for his?

Your omniscience as to her medical condition comes directly from the main stream media unless you have actually consulted with her physicians or read her medical records. THAT is where your entire premise fails. You do not have the sine qua non facts to support that premises; merely speculation and rumor.

At VERY best, you are far premature in your prognosis.

MR2-Sooner86
1/22/2011, 07:17 PM
:pop:

My Opinion Matters
1/22/2011, 07:18 PM
As far as calling in sick excuses go, I think "shot in the damn head" has to be right at the top.

AlbqSooner
1/22/2011, 07:18 PM

soonerchk should be ousted. She is delusional enough to think posting here is working. ;) :D

soonerscuba
1/22/2011, 07:19 PM
Heh, House members are expelled by vote. I think voting to expel a sitting member of Congress who was shot in the head might become a campaign issue.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 07:28 PM
Heh, House members are expelled by vote. I think voting to expel a sitting member of Congress who was shot in the head might become a campaign issue.

Tacky yet necessary.

soonerscuba
1/22/2011, 07:31 PM
Tacky yet necessary.You're familiar with the average voters ability to pick up nuance, politically it's poison.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2011, 08:00 PM
Wow. I had no idea the right wingers were so defensive of Ronnie. I thought it was common knowledge the old boy was half gone by the end of his second term.

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 08:03 PM
Tacky yet necessary.

Why? I just heard on the news that her doctors are thrilled with her progress. But you know better, right?

Wow. I had no idea the right wingers were so defensive of Ronnie. I thought it was common knowledge the old boy was half gone by the end of his second term.

I thought so, too but apparently SicEm has special insider knowledge.

AlboSooner
1/22/2011, 08:17 PM
Here's a crazy idea. Why don't we wait and see how her recovery goes before jumping to conclusions? I'm assuming of course that you have personal knowledge of her medical condition and are therefore able to comment based on fact and not your own personal speculation.

you and your reasoned posts, pffffffffffff

OutlandTrophy
1/22/2011, 08:21 PM
I'm glad that I'm represented in DC. Maybe the people of her district don't feel the need to be represented?

US Senator might be the only other job in the US where you don't need to have a fully functioning brain to do the job.

If I couldn't show up to work for an extended time period my boss would have to replace me.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 08:22 PM
Sic 'em, put down the soda pop.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 08:24 PM
Again, I'm waiting for someone to tell me what they consider to be a reasonable amount of time before replacing her.

I'm open to the possibility that I'm completely wrong and she'll be back on the floor of the House in a few months. I highly doubt that, but it's possible.

What I am sure of is that until she does fully recover, the people of her district aren't going to have the kind of representation they need or deserve especially if a bill comes up that has a major impact on her district. I'm positive that she herself would want her district properly represented, and if she were capable of speaking and understanding that right now then I'm sure she would.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 08:25 PM
Why do we never hear about the judge that perished saving someone else's life?

Oh yea, he was a Republican.

soonerbub
1/22/2011, 08:28 PM
til September when they reconvene isn't too much to ask sic em

AlboSooner
1/22/2011, 08:29 PM

Wow. Are you just trying to get a rise out of people or really believe this?

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 08:29 PM
Again, I'm waiting for someone to tell me what they consider to be a reasonable amount of time before replacing her.

I'm open to the possibility that I'm completely wrong and she'll be back on the floor of the House in a few months. I highly doubt that, but it's possible.

What I am sure of is that until she does fully recover, the people of her district aren't going to have the kind of representation they need or deserve especially if a bill comes up that has a major impact on her district. I'm positive that she herself would want her district properly represented, and if she were capable of speaking and understanding that right now then I'm sure she would.

Oh punkin, where to begin? First off, how do you know she isn't or won't be? Pretty sure Congressional buildings are handicap accessible, so who's to say she can't return within a few months? In addition, since it was an assassination attempt and all, there are probably ways to give her access to the goings on with webcasts or other internet based technology.

You are making some pretty broad assumptions about things that you don't have a clue about unless you have actual specific medical knowledge of her condition. And I'm pretty sure you don't have that knowledge because otherwise you'd be bragging about it, and then be in trouble for violating medical privacy laws.

OutlandTrophy
1/22/2011, 08:30 PM
Why? I just heard on the news that her doctors are thrilled with her progress. But you know better, right?

I thought so, too but apparently SicEm has special insider knowledge.

My kid's doctor told us on Friday that she is thrilled with his progress. He smiles, can raise his head up 90 degrees when on his stomach, will follow you around the room with his eyes, laughs and screeches. He's 9 weeks old.

I wonder what Rep Gifford can do that has thrilled her doctors?

soonerchk

You must not be listening to the same media that I do.

SicEmBaylor
til September when they reconvene isn't too much to ask sic em

Admittedly, that's fair enough.

soonerchk
1/22/2011, 08:32 PM
My kid's doctor told us on Friday that she is thrilled with his progress. He smiles, can raise his head up 90 degrees when on his stomach, will follow you around the room with his eyes, laughs and screeches. He's 9 weeks old.

I wonder what Rep Gifford can do that has thrilled her doctors?

Do I need to quote the part where I said I am speculating because I do not have first hand knowledge of her medical condition?

Okay, stopping work now, someone else can carry on with the part about the difference between knowing and speculating. kthnxbye

OutlandTrophy
1/22/2011, 08:33 PM
if it will make you feel better.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 08:41 PM
In addition, since it was an assassination attempt and all, there are probably ways to give her access to the goings on with webcasts or other internet based technology.

There are not -- unless they change House rules which, unfortunately, they may end up doing in some emotion-based gesture. Nonetheless, as of now, you have to physically be on the House floor to cast a vote and you can not vote by proxy.

You are making some pretty broad assumptions about things that you don't have a clue about unless you have actual specific medical knowledge of her condition. And I'm pretty sure you don't have that knowledge because otherwise you'd be bragging about it, and then be in trouble for violating medical privacy laws.

It is not unreasonable to assume that someone with a gun shot wound to the head who is currently (as per her doctor's news conferences) unable to speak and has very limited motor skills may not be able to fully represent her constituents on the floor of the House of Representatives within a reasonable amount of time. Again, I may be wrong, but at some point it's going to be obvious that she'll be able to quickly return to her job or she won't. In the case of the latter, the sooner preparations are made to replace her the better it'll be for her constituents.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2011, 08:45 PM

I'd follow that man to hell and back even if he couldn't tell the difference between a Crayon and John Poindexter.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 08:52 PM
The left continues to be ruined by Reagan

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 08:53 PM
There are not -- unless they change House rules which, unfortunately, they may end up doing in some emotion-based gesture. Nonetheless, as of now, you have to physically be on the House floor to cast a vote and you can not vote by proxy.

If we allow these guys to stay at home or vote while in the Bahamas the House will be empty come vote time.

XingTheRubicon
1/22/2011, 08:59 PM
Apparently, a line has been crossed by...Father Pat of all people.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 09:01 PM
Basically right now these citizens have taxation w/o representation.

King Barry's Back
1/22/2011, 09:13 PM

Governors can sometimes replace Senators, but House members can only be elected.

Rep Giffords would have to leave office, by choice or by force, and a special election called.

I believe that her office could announce a future date when she would leave office, and a special election could be timed so that AZ-8 was never left w/o representation.

King Barry's Back
1/22/2011, 09:23 PM

AZ law will govern this. I saw a headline stating that her seat could be in jeopardy "according to Arizona law," but the link disappeared before I was able to read it.

There are ways to remove a member of Congress if they are proven to be mentally incompentent, they vary by state, and Rep Giffords has NOT been proved to be impaired.

At least not beyond the next few weeks.

Removing her at this juncture would be wildly premature, would be EXCEEDINGLY unpopular (in other words, would likely spell the end of the political career of anybody who did it), and would CERTAINLY NOT be done by an expulsion vote in the House.

Try to imagine, there are 434 House members on the floor. All of them know that at any moment, some whack job could take a shot at them, and if they are fortunate enough to survive, do you think they want to have helped to create a precedent for being forced out of their own seat? Besides that, expulsion is the most serious punishment the House can give. They are not going to be seen as punishing a fellow-member who was the victim of an assassination attempt.

Probably the best argument against forcing her out of office is that it would encourage more assassination attempts. Even if you don't kill them, you can still get rid of them.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 09:24 PM
AZ law will govern this. I saw a headline stating that her seat could be in jeopardy "according to Arizona law," but the link disappeared before I was able to read it.

There are ways to remove a member of Congress if they are proven to be mentally incompentent, they vary by state, and Rep Giffords has NOT been proved to be impaired.

At least not beyond the next few weeks.

Removing her at this juncture would be wildly premature, would be EXCEEDINGLY unpopular (in other words, would likely spell the end of the political career of anybody who did it), and would CERTAINLY NOT be done by an expulsion vote in the House.

Try to imagine, there are 434 House members on the floor. All of them know that at any moment, some whack job could take a shot at them, and if they are fortunate enough to survive, do you think they want to have helped to create a precedent for being forced out of their own seat? Besides that, expulsion is the most serious punishment the House can give. They are not going to be seen as punishing a fellow-member who was the victim of an assassination attempt.

Probably the best argument against forcing her out of office is that it would encourage more assassination attempts. Even if you don't kill them, you can still get rid of them.

That Washington Post link I tried to post that failed basically said that that law doesn't apply to her circumstance. She isn't going anywhere.

47straight
1/22/2011, 09:28 PM
I have a feeling Sic'Em's hypothetical question will become an actual question in 6 months.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 09:50 PM
I have a feeling Sic'Em's hypothetical question will become an actual question in 6 months.

Rep. Giffords Needs to be Expelled isn't a hypothetical question -- more like a declarative statement.

Blue
1/23/2011, 12:19 AM
You started the entire medical speculation theme with your original post. I freely admitted in my posts that I'm speculating. In fact, let me say it again - I AM SPECULATING ON RONALD REAGAN'S MEDICAL CONDITION BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO HIS MEDICAL RECORDS.

Unless you have some medical records to back up what you said about Reagan and Giffords, then you too are merely guessing.

I agree. it is entertaining watching you get owned.

Midtowner
1/23/2011, 12:35 AM
Tacky yet necessary.

Define "necessary." How come the other 434 members of the House care whether the 8th District of Arizona has representation?

You made a silly proposition and are now grasping at straws.

SoonerNate
1/23/2011, 12:46 AM
She has become a distraction and probably should step down.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/23/2011, 12:49 AM
A Governor can only appoint in the case of a Senate vacancy not a House vacancy and, in any case, a governor has no authority to remove someone from office.Dude, this is the Transformed America. It can happen.

SoonerMom2
1/23/2011, 01:12 AM

That made me burst out laughing! It is so true starting with that Cohen in TN who seems to be replacing Grayson who was defeated. That was a good one!

SoonerMom2
1/23/2011, 01:24 AM
You're familiar with the average voters ability to pick up nuance, politically it's poison.

It would be poison -- would think at some point though her husband would come out that someone needs to represent the district and she needs to spend full time on her rehab not thinking about Congress. It would be the smart thing to do but then we are dealing with Dems and not sure Pelosi would let it happen as she would lose one more vote. Cannot believe they reelected that woman to head the Dems. Giffords didn't even vote for Pelosi but Pelosi makes it sound like they were best friends.

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2011, 01:32 AM
For you people that say nothing should be done, let me ask you this...

Let's say a floor vote is scheduled for a bill that is very very important to you. Perhaps you're a small business owner and that bill will have a direct impact on your business. Now, let's say that it's going to be a close vote and you're concerned about the outcome. Unfortunately, your Representative won't be on the floor to represent your interests. Don't you think that if it were an issue that was important to you then you'd want your representative doing their job? Wouldn't you want to be able to get on the phone with that representative's office and know how he or she intended to vote on that piece of legislation that's so vitally important to you personally?

I know I would and I think most of the people of the 8th District would as well.

1/23/2011, 01:48 AM
Wow. I had no idea the right wingers were so defensive of Ronnie. I thought it was common knowledge the old boy was half gone by the end of his second term.It's common knowledge among those who prefer to think that. But hey, even if it was true, he was more capable with Galloping Dementia than every one of the howling leftist kooks who opposed everything he did.

hawaii 5-0
1/23/2011, 01:52 AM
That small business owner better move his bidness to another district real fast.

Other Congresspersons have missed voting due to illness or plainly didn't vote for awhile because they were on some junket and it hasn't destroyed the country.

Let it ride.

5-0

SoonerKnight
1/23/2011, 01:53 AM

Section. 5.

Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.

They will never expel her because you need:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

SoonerKnight
1/23/2011, 01:54 AM
She will hold her seat until she decides to resign or runs again. And this has made her very popular and now a Dem would win her seat anyhow!!

2121Sooner
1/23/2011, 01:58 AM
If you are a small business owner and there is a vote on the floor that is important to you, then it it probably a good thing that if your representative is a Democrat then they are not there to vote. Reason being they will probably vote to increase your share of health care or increase a B&O tax that will in some way cripple you to the point that you will have to either cut your owners compensation or lay off someone to make sure that doesnt happen. Cause here is the thing, you got into business so you could do something you really love while being able to provide your family with a nice living and at the same time provide other families a nice living by working for you. Potentially in a good year be able to incent and bonus those families that work for you because the year you just had was above and beyond what you had planned for the year. So guess what.....lets share the wealth a little bit because things are good this year.

But with the tax increases and unknown of the new Healthcare reform consequenses I am gonna hold back, not hire new employees, and stock away some of the excess cash I made this year, if any, because I really dont know what is gonna happen in the next couple of year. Instead of growing my business and helping more families, I cant do that. I am unwilling to risk more of my capital and equity in my business because the more I do the more the government is going to try to take. I have to give more money to my CPA because the government is gonna audit me this year because I made money and they want more of it. I might have to spend another ten grand to avoid paying twenty grand in taxes and/or penalties, but hey, that is the cost of doing business in Obama's New World Order.

Here is the thing SicEm, and it might take a while for you to learn, because although you seem like a nice kid, that is what you are.....a kid. You dont know **** except for what you have read in a book and heard from mommy or daddy.

Shut the **** up and eat a sandwich and try to get above 100 pounds.

I feel like Robin Williams talking to Will on the park bench in Good Will Hunting

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2011, 02:22 AM
If you are a small business owner and there is a vote on the floor that is important to you, then it it probably a good thing that if your representative is a Democrat then they are not there to vote. Reason being they will probably vote to increase your share of health care or increase a B&O tax that will in some way cripple you to the point that you will have to either cut your owners compensation or lay off someone to make sure that doesnt happen. Cause here is the thing, you got into business so you could do something you really love while being able to provide your family with a nice living and at the same time provide other families a nice living by working for you. Potentially in a good year be able to incent and bonus those families that work for you because the year you just had was above and beyond what you had planned for the year. So guess what.....lets share the wealth a little bit because things are good this year.

But with the tax increases and unknown of the new Healthcare reform consequenses I am gonna hold back, not hire new employees, and stock away some of the excess cash I made this year, if any, because I really dont know what is gonna happen in the next couple of year. Instead of growing my business and helping more families, I cant do that. I am unwilling to risk more of my capital and equity in my business because the more I do the more the government is going to try to take. I have to give more money to my CPA because the government is gonna audit me this year because I made money and they want more of it. I might have to spend another ten grand to avoid paying twenty grand in taxes and/or penalties, but hey, that is the cost of doing business in Obama's New World Order.
:sigh:
http://g.imagehost.org/0994/House_Facepalm.jpg
Holy mother Mary of Jesus.

Uh, it was a hypothetical situation. In other words, it doesn't matter what the hypothetical issue is or whether the aforementioned hypothetical member of Congress is a Democrat, Republican, or Bull Mooser.

Here is the thing SicEm, and it might take a while for you to learn, because although you seem like a nice kid, that is what you are.....a kid. You dont know **** except for what you have read in a book and heard from mommy or daddy.

I really really hate to break it to you, but my parents had less than no interest in politics. And uh...well, I'm almost 30.

sperry
1/23/2011, 02:27 AM
:sigh:
http://g.imagehost.org/0994/House_Facepalm.jpg
Holy mother Mary of Jesus.

Uh, it was a hypothetical situation. In other words, it doesn't matter what the hypothetical issue is or whether the aforementioned hypothetical member of Congress is a Democrat, Republican, or Bull Mooser.

I really really hate to break it to you, but my parents had less than no interest in politics. And uh...well, I'm almost 30.

Still over ten years til manhood [hairGel]

2121Sooner
1/23/2011, 03:06 AM

You have zero interest in how politics interact with the real world of business.

Go have another coke or mt dew and waste away.

2121Sooner
1/23/2011, 03:06 AM
double post

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2011, 03:16 AM
You have zero interest in how politics interact with the real world of business.

Go have another coke or mt dew and waste away.

And what on Earth have I said in this post or any other that would give you that impression?

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2011, 03:49 AM
I believe you guys are totally missing the point of this entire thread. And that is, even without a fully functional brain due to a gun shot to the head, Rep. Giffords is still brighter than SoonerNate.

SoonerNate
1/23/2011, 04:34 AM
Wow. Are you just trying to get a rise out of people or really believe this?

Seriously? No. I have fun but in this comment I'm not trying to get a "rise" out of anyone. We have a dead Federal Judge that saved someone's life and the tale is nothing short of heroic!

Barely a peep though. It's ALL Giffords 24/7.

Conform away though.

This is to take nothing away from Giffords but Good God what a story that is going missing simply because he was nominated by a Republican President. It's really sick if you ask me.

To bad this judge wasn't a Democrat or movies would have been in the works telling his story by now.

SoonerNate
1/23/2011, 05:00 AM
I believe you guys are totally missing the point of this entire thread. And that is, even without a fully functional brain due to a gun shot to the head, Rep. Giffords is still brighter than SoonerNate.

Cool story brah

BTW, your welfare check came to my house by accident captain Democrat. Don't worry, I forwarded it back.

I mailed it with a Hope and Change Obama stamp.

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2011, 05:07 AM
Cool story brah

BTW, your welfare check came to my house by accident captain Democrat. Don't worry, I forwarded it back.

I mailed it with a Hope and Change Obama stamp.

That's impossible, brah. You're too stupid to read the print on a letter.

SoonerNate
1/23/2011, 05:14 AM
Hey, in the event of the shootings shouldn't we lower the rhetoric?

Did you not hear what the Kenyan leader said?

He called for a higher level of discourse.

Far be it for me to name call anyone here, particularly in the aftermath of the left wing shooting.

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2011, 05:25 AM
Hey, in the event of the shootings shouldn't we lower the rhetoric?

Did you not hear what the Kenyan leader said?

He called for a higher level of discourse.

Far be it for me to name call anyone here, particularly in the aftermath of the left wing shooting.

Sure, we can lower the rhetoric, but it still doesn't mean that you're not bat-schit regardless of affiliation.

ps. I hope your wife/girlfriend cheats on you with a Klansman.

romanvandal
1/23/2011, 06:23 AM
Seriously? No. I have fun but in this comment I'm not trying to get a "rise" out of anyone. We have a dead Federal Judge that saved someone's life and the tale is nothing short of heroic!
Barely a peep though. It's ALL Giffords 24/7.

Conform away though.

This is to take nothing away from Giffords but Good God what a story that is going missing simply because he was nominated by a Republican President. It's really sick if you ask me.

To bad this judge wasn't a Democrat or movies would have been in the works telling his story by now.

No one is saying it isn't a tragedy he died. Giffords survived a wound that would kill most human beings. Don't make this about politics. It's way more important than that.

AlbqSooner
1/23/2011, 07:52 AM
For you people that say nothing should be done, let me ask you this...

Let's say a floor vote is scheduled for a bill that is very very important to you. Perhaps you're a small business owner and that bill will have a direct impact on your business. Now, let's say that it's going to be a close vote and you're concerned about the outcome. Unfortunately, your Representative won't be on the floor to represent your interests. Don't you think that if it were an issue that was important to you then you'd want your representative doing their job? Wouldn't you want to be able to get on the phone with that representative's office and know how he or she intended to vote on that piece of legislation that's so vitally important to you personally?

I know I would and I think most of the people of the 8th District would as well.

Let's say a floor vote is scheduled in the Senate for a bill that is very very important to you. Perhaps you're a small business owner and that bill will have a direct impact on your business. Now, let's say that it's going to be a close vote and you're concerned about the outcome. Unfortunately, your Senator will be on the floor to represent your interests but will simply vote 'Present'. Don't you think that if it were an issue that was important to you then you'd want your Senator doing their job?

Nahhh, just elect them President and you won't have to worry whether or not they represent your interests.:D

SpankyNek
1/23/2011, 09:40 AM
This is for the people of her district to decide (How has this not been mentioned by page 6?). If they are truly concerned, they will petition Gifford's office for resolution.

Regardless of what we believe, it would be an incredible nightmare scenario to set precedence that would allow the representation from other states to start expulsion proceedings, based upon their own determinations of another's mental faculties, against other congressional members.

Why are we always so concerned about districts we do not inhabit?

JohnnyMack
1/23/2011, 10:26 AM
Surely at some point a congressman has had a heart attack or something similar and not been able to serve for a while. Right? There has to be some sort of similar precedent.

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 12:02 PM
No one is saying it isn't a tragedy he died. Giffords survived a wound that would kill most non-celebrities. Don't make this about politics. It's way more important than that.

fify

SoCaliSooner
1/23/2011, 12:27 PM
Surely at some point a congressman has had a heart attack or something similar and not been able to serve for a while. Right? There has to be some sort of similar precedent.
Usually what happens is the person who is unable to vote makes a gentleman's agreement with somebody on the other side of the aisle. If the injured party is going to vote "yes", their reps contact somebody who is going to vote "no" and the party voting "no" abstains from voting. They essentially cancel each other out.

On edit: I've been friends with Congressman Bill Thomas for over 20 years. He used to be chairman of the Ways and Means comittee before retiring. That's how he said it works.

GrapevineSooner
1/23/2011, 01:11 PM
This is for the people of her district to decide (How has this not been mentioned by page 6?). If they are truly concerned, they will petition Gifford's office for resolution.

Regardless of what we believe, it would be an incredible nightmare scenario to set precedence that would allow the representation from other states to start expulsion proceedings, based upon their own determinations of another's mental faculties, against other congressional members.

Why are we always so concerned about districts we do not inhabit?

Yep.

And while I understand SicEm's point, the libertarian in me says this is an issue that those of us who do not reside in her Congressional district should butt out on.

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2011, 06:24 PM
Usually what happens is the person who is unable to vote makes a gentleman's agreement with somebody on the other side of the aisle. If the injured party is going to vote "yes", their reps contact somebody who is going to vote "no" and the party voting "no" abstains from voting. They essentially cancel each other out.

On edit: I've been friends with Congressman Bill Thomas for over 20 years. He used to be chairman of the Ways and Means comittee before retiring. That's how he said it works.

Except, that isn't possible in this situation since she can't currently communicate how she would vote on any particular piece of legislation in order to trade votes. Plus, that's usually only done for a short period of time. I'm not sure she'd be able to trade an entire term's worth of votes.

ictsooner7
1/23/2011, 08:04 PM

WOW....ARE YOU GLAD SHE GOT SHOT TOO?

NAZI

IF THAT IS IF THAT IS THE CRITERIA FOR BEING EXPELLED THEN WE WOULD HAVE TO EXPEL THE ENTIRE REPUBLICANT CAUCUS

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 08:11 PM

NAZI

IF THAT IS IF THAT IS THE CRITERIA FOR BEING EXPELLED THEN WE WOULD HAVE TO EXPEL THE ENTIRE REPUBLICANT CAUCUS

Libs, he's one of yours. :D

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2011, 08:51 PM

NAZI

Wow.

sappstuf
1/23/2011, 08:58 PM

NAZI

Calling someone a Nazi? Seriously??

Oh and:

http://img.buzznet.com/assets/imgx/1/1/2/2/9/0/4/1/orig-11229041.jpg

Blue
1/23/2011, 11:03 PM
I couldn't quite decode his signature.

SoonerNate
1/23/2011, 11:25 PM
Wow. LMAO

Is he aware that Nazi's were socialists?

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2011, 11:36 PM
I couldn't quite decode his signature.

lol. Let me give it a shot...
My changes are in BOLD.

Since Bush took over in 2001 and Obama took over in 2009, there were 2,000,000 less private industry jobs. The deficit soared from a surplus of two hundred and thirty-eight billion to a deficit of a trillion point three dollars. All the republicans can offer is,"Show me your birth certificate!!!" SAVE AMERICA AND VOTE DEMOCRAT!!

“It’s like these guys take pride in being ignorant.”- Barack Obama,discussing the tire gauge idiocy from the GOP August 5, 2008.

I had to omit the two "...a year" references so that the statement was slightly more accurate. :D

SoCaliSooner
1/23/2011, 11:54 PM
Except, that isn't possible in this situation since she can't currently communicate how she would vote on any particular piece of legislation in order to trade votes. Plus, that's usually only done for a short period of time. I'm not sure she'd be able to trade an entire term's worth of votes.

If she can do a thumbs up...or down. She can vote and there are times people have gone over a year essentially "cancel voting".

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2011, 12:15 AM
If she can do a thumbs up...or down. She can vote and there are times people have gone over a year essentially "cancel voting".

It's not that simple. As I previously stated, she has to physically be on the floor. And then it's a matter of swiping her Congressional voting card (which looks like a credit card) and entering her vote. Again, this can not be done by proxy and it can not be done by an aide.

SpankyNek
1/24/2011, 12:21 AM
It's not that simple. As I previously stated, she has to physically be on the floor. And then it's a matter of swiping her Congressional voting card (which looks like a credit card) and entering her vote. Again, this can not be done by proxy and it can not be done by an aide.

Does this mean paraplegics are ineligible for congress?

SoCaliSooner
1/24/2011, 12:33 AM

All I said was that their staff gets together with somebody who is going to vote opposite theirs and has that person abstain from voting. So a vote for...and against an agenda item doesn't get cast.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2011, 01:07 AM
Does this mean paraplegics are ineligible for congress?

Can paraplegics not be wheeled out onto the House floor?

Aldebaran
1/24/2011, 09:36 AM
Wow. LMAO

Are you aware that Leftists were among the first folks sent to German concentration camps under the Nazi regime?

Climb out from under a rock any time you are ready.

Tailwind
1/24/2011, 10:03 AM
If I were Ms Giffords I would probably be pretty gun-shy and resign. That attempt on her life has to have some mental and emotional repercussions, wouldn't you think? I'm not a dem, but I thought the lady had (or has) a lot of class, and I'm sad about what happened to her and the other people who were killed or injured.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2011, 10:42 AM
Wow. LMAO

You wanna go with this?

MsProudSooner
1/24/2011, 11:00 AM
Wow. LMAO

Seriously? You might want to rethink that statement.

http://www.answers.com/topic/nazi

Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: History:
Nazis
Home > Library > History, Politics & Society > History Dictionary
(naht-seez, nat-seez)

A German political party of the twentieth century, led by Adolf Hitler. The Nazis controlled Germany from the early 1930s until the end of World War II. The party's full name in English is National Socialist German Workers' party; Nazi is short for its German name. Despite the word socialist in its name, it was a fascist party, requiring from its members supreme devotion to the German government — the Third Reich (see fascism and socialism). The Nazis rose to power by promising the people that Germany, which had been humiliated after World War I, would become powerful again.

The Nazis opposed communism and free intellectual inquiry. Desiring to form a master race that would rule the world, they fought the influence in Germany of peoples not of “pure” descent. Their power was particularly directed at controlling Jews in Germany and in the countries that Germany conquered in war. After depriving Jews of their property and confining them in concentration camps, the Nazis employed the Final Solution of killing them in large numbers; an estimated six million Jews lost their lives (see Holocaust). Also marked for extermination were the mentally and physically handicapped and “enemies of the Reich” such as Slavs, communists, Gypsies, homosexuals, Christians who resisted the government, and defenders of intellectual freedom. The Nazis fought World War II to spread their principles worldwide but were defeated. Twenty-two of their leaders were convicted of war crimes at the Nuremberg trials.

A great number of symbols, images, and names are associated with the reign of the Nazis, including the swastika emblem; the stiff-armed salute; the greeting “heil Hitler”; the goose-step march; mass political rallies; concentration camps, such as Auschwitz and Dachau; and Hitler's aides Adolf Eichmann, Joseph Goebbels, Hermann Goering, and Heinrich Himmler.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/nazi#ixzz1By8EwQQH

Sooner_Bob
1/24/2011, 11:17 AM
No one is saying it isn't a tragedy he died. Giffords survived a wound that would kill most human beings. Don't make this about politics. It's way more important than that.

So you're saying she's the anti-christ? :eek:

1/24/2011, 12:29 PM
Seriously? You might want to rethink that statement.
http://www.answers.com/topic/nazi
Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: History:
Nazis
Home > Library > History, Politics & Society > History Dictionary
(naht-seez, nat-seez)
A German political party of the twentieth century, led by Adolf Hitler. The Nazis controlled Germany from the early 1930s until the end of World War II. The party's full name in English is National Socialist German Workers' party; Nazi is short for its German name. Despite the word socialist in its name, it was a fascist party, requiring from its members supreme devotion to the German government — the Third Reich (see fascism and socialism). The Nazis rose to power by promising the people that Germany, which had been humiliated after World War I, would become powerful again.

The Nazis opposed communism and free intellectual inquiry. Desiring to form a master race that would rule the world, they fought the influence in Germany of peoples not of “pure” descent. Their power was particularly directed at controlling Jews in Germany and in the countries that Germany conquered in war. After depriving Jews of their property and confining them in concentration camps, the Nazis employed the Final Solution of killing them in large numbers; an estimated six million Jews lost their lives (see Holocaust). Also marked for extermination were the mentally and physically handicapped and “enemies of the Reich” such as Slavs, communists, Gypsies, homosexuals, Christians who resisted the government, and defenders of intellectual freedom. The Nazis fought World War II to spread their principles worldwide but were defeated. Twenty-two of their leaders were convicted of war crimes at the Nuremberg trials.

A great number of symbols, images, and names are associated with the reign of the Nazis, including the swastika emblem; the stiff-armed salute; the greeting “heil Hitler”; the goose-step march; mass political rallies; concentration camps, such as Auschwitz and Dachau; and Hitler's aides Adolf Eichmann, Joseph Goebbels, Hermann Goering, and Heinrich Himmler.
Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/nazi#ixzz1By8EwQQHHERE WE GO AGAIN! Both Nazism and Socialism are autocraric forms of govt. ,which are antithetical to our(American) way of life. Sorry if that disappoints some board members.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 12:31 PM
There is nothing about fascism that excludes socialism, racism, or genocide. Nazis were socialists and competed for the same worker class as the Communists, which is why they hated each other so much.

MsProudSooner
1/24/2011, 01:13 PM
fas·cism   /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ Show Spelled
[fash-iz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun
1. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) the philosophy, principles, or methods of fascism.
3. ( initial capital letter ) a fascist movement, esp. the one established by Mussolini in Italy 1922–43.

so·cial·ism   /ˈsoʊʃəˌlɪzəm/ Show Spelled
[soh-shuh-liz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun
1. a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
2. procedure or practice in accordance with this theory.
3. (in Marxist theory) the stage following capitalism in the transition of a society to communism, characterized by the imperfect implementation of collectivist principles

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 01:21 PM
fas·cism   /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ Show Spelled
[fash-iz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun
1. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Sounds like Communism.

BTW, where did you get your definitions? Because they look like they suck. (For example, Hitler did not regiment all industry -- far from it.)

JohnnyMack
1/24/2011, 01:38 PM
Socialism and Fascism are not the same thing.

Socialism is not necessarily Autocratic.

Communism is not necessarily Autocratic.

Fascism is not necessarily Autocratic.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2011, 01:39 PM
HERE WE GO AGAIN! Both Nazism and Socialism are autocraric forms of govt. ,which are antithetical to our(American) way of life. Sorry if that disappoints some board members.

No they aren't. No they aren't. No they aren't.

Learn to read.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 01:42 PM
Socialism and Fascism are not the same thing.

Agreed. But one does not exclude the other.

I think the argument boils down to: Were the Nazis right-wing? No.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2011, 01:50 PM
Agreed. But one does not exclude the other.

I think the argument boils down to: Were the Nazis right-wing? No.

I never said they didn't.

I don't think you could, at least accurately, use our current right-wing/left-wing pigeon holing process to assess what the Nazis were.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 01:51 PM

I don't think you could, at least accurately, use our current right-wing/left-wing pigeon holing process to assess what the Nazis were.

On that we agree.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2011, 01:55 PM
On that we agree.

Well **** me. We agree on something.

I'm retiring from the board now.

1/24/2011, 02:00 PM

I don't think you could, at least accurately, use our current right-wing/left-wing pigeon holing process to assess what the Nazis were.After disagreeing with me, you now seem to agree, about that very same point. GO FIGURE!(Both fascists and socialists are autocratic, and don't allow the market(s) to function)

soonerscuba
1/24/2011, 02:01 PM
If this board has taught me one thing, it's that RLIMC has zero idea what the word autocratic actually means.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2011, 02:01 PM
If this board has taught me one thing, it's that RLIMC has zero idea what the word autocratic actually means.

This.

1/24/2011, 02:22 PM
If this board has taught me one thing, it's that RLIMC has zero idea what the word autocratic actually means.You are correct that the despot part might not necessarily be by only one person. Totalitarian might be more appropriate.

soonerscuba
1/24/2011, 02:32 PM
You are correct that the despot part might not necessarily be by only one person. Totalitarian might be more appropriate.Still wrong. Last I checked we still have free and fair elections which influence different branches of government, if people don't like policy, they have a mechanism to change it. I think you don't like the current administration (which is fine) and look for reasons beyond the fact the electorate didn't go your way (it won't ever, btw) to justify why it's illegitimate or immoral, etc.

Pricetag
1/24/2011, 02:32 PM
Anyone know someone who has suffered a catastrophic brain injury? A friend of my wife's had one last year. She was way worse off than Mrs. Giffords (at least her condition as it has been reported to us) in the early going. The year anniversary is coming up in the next few weeks. Her physical impairments remain, but she has been fully recovered mentally for months now.

All cases are different, but it's way too early to speculate on whether or not she'll be able to perform her duties in a reasonable amount of time, and like others have said, let the people of her district worry about it. It is shameful to look at the situation as an opportunity for the "good guys" to gain a seat. That kind of thinking is absolutely part of the problem.

Pricetag
1/24/2011, 02:34 PM
Sounds an awful lot like "democrat," so it must suck.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2011, 02:35 PM
Still wrong. Last I checked we still have free and fair elections which influence different branches of government, if people don't like policy, they have a mechanism to change it. I think you don't like the current administration (which is fine) and look for reasons beyond the fact the electorate didn't go your way (it won't ever, btw) to justify why it's illegitimate or immoral, etc.

Because the liberal, drive-by media and hollywood tell everyone what to do. Ha ha.

SpankyNek
1/24/2011, 03:36 PM
While the factors that create socialism and fascism may originate from both sides of the political spectrum, the end product and ideologies lie at the diametrically opposed ends of the spectrum (with fascism clearly inhabiting the right side).

SanJoaquinSooner
8/1/2011, 08:05 PM
She voted yes on the debt limit bill.

LzwHm4e8mao

C&CDean
8/1/2011, 08:19 PM
Where the hell is she? You mean someone who used her name in vain got a SO, right?

Wishboned
8/1/2011, 08:25 PM
Where the hell is she? You mean someone who used her name in vain got a SO, right?

No.

She's the one in the video in the glasses waving at everyone.

C&CDean
8/1/2011, 08:27 PM
OH. My bad. Can she legislate now?

okie52
8/1/2011, 08:30 PM
No.

She's the one in the video in the glasses waving at everyone.

Good for her.

And I probably don't agree with most of her views.

Wishboned
8/1/2011, 08:41 PM
OH. My bad. Can she legislate now?

I haven't read a lot on her condition. I would say no. Recovering from a head wound like she received is going to take a long time.

I believe this is way more symbolic than substance.

C&CDean
8/1/2011, 08:45 PM
Indeed. God bless her. I only hope for the best for her, but I have a lot of experience with people with TBI. It usually ain't very good.

soonercruiser
8/1/2011, 09:11 PM

And would have kicked out then Sen. Obama for merely voting present, but dumb so many times!
:D

soonercruiser
8/1/2011, 09:19 PM
Yup! Someone else caught it first.
Rep. Giffords voted in the House today.

Proving....that she is at least as cognizant as the many who voted for BHO in the last general election!
(Dear....dear...push this button.)
:P

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2011, 09:28 PM
She voted yes on the debt limit bill.

LzwHm4e8mao

Clearly, she has massive brain damage.

StoopTroup
8/1/2011, 09:34 PM
Good to see she's able to try to represent the folks that voted her in.

Curly Bill
8/1/2011, 09:59 PM
Clearly, she has massive brain damage.

Which seeing as how she's a member of congress she'll fit right in, and no one will be the wiser. ;)

AlbqSooner
8/2/2011, 06:48 AM
I did not catch this thread back in January.

People who believe someone should be thrown unceremoniously from office when there is no mechanism in place to do so should go read a biography of William O. Douglas.

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 07:11 AM
i wondered if somebody would remember to pull up this gem of a thread and its POS OP..good job

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 07:26 AM
i wondered if somebody would remember to pull up this gem of a thread and its POS OP..good job

Dude , yer Halo is lookin a little tarnished shouldnt you be gettin someone to help you polish it?

MsProudSooner
8/2/2011, 07:28 AM
I'll just say that the OP needs to refrain from making any medical prognostications in the future.

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 07:38 AM
I'll just say that the OP needs to refrain from making any medical prognostications in the future.

I dont disagree, But IM not calling anyone a POS while acting all superior ;)

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 07:39 AM
Dude , yer Halo is lookin a little tarnished shouldnt you be gettin someone to help you polish it?

i dunno - i heard you're good at polishing knobs...i mean halo's - maybe you could?

i just thought it was in poor taste to call for the ouster of the representative as prematurely as sic'em did

kind of a neat story that she survived and was able to go back to the house to cast her vote - dont you think?

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 07:40 AM
I dont disagree, But IM not calling anyone a POS while acting all superior ;)

i didnt call ANYBODY a POS - i called the original POST a piece of chit

sorry for your confusion

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 07:48 AM

lexsooner
8/2/2011, 07:51 AM
Seeing Giffords was a pleasant surprise. I think any decent human being would wish her well and hope she recovers from her terrible injuries. It's hard to say what the future holds for her. She obviously has made amazing physical progress, but we still don't know anything about her cognitive functioning. I suspect in the long run she will be able to govern again, with limitations, although she will never be the same physically or cognitively. James Brady has been quite active in the post-shooting years since 1981, but he has and will always be a physical mess and have to deal with pain and cognitive lapses. Giffords is obviously more fortunate, but she will never be the same.

47straight
8/2/2011, 10:11 AM
Did she condemn all the violent language used by the left to describe the Tea Party during this national debate over the debt?

The Profit
8/2/2011, 10:19 AM
Did she condemn all the violent language used by the left to describe the Tea Party during this national debate over the debt?

Do you mean when the teabaggers were called terrorists? The SOB's were terrorists. They were holding the good credit of the United States hostage to their demands. I hope the bastages rot in hell someday.

okie52
8/2/2011, 10:25 AM
Do you mean when the teabaggers were called terrorists? The SOB's were terrorists. They were holding the good credit of the United States hostage to their demands. I hope the bastages rot in hell someday.

:rolleyes:

Very humorous.

Breadburner
8/2/2011, 10:29 AM
I think we have found one Dean missed.....

The Profit
8/2/2011, 10:31 AM

Are you referring to me?

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2011, 10:58 AM

I'm going to max out my credit card.

Then when they refuse to raise the debt limit on it because I'm spending *-irrepsonsibly, I'll scream, "YOU'RE A TERRORIST HOLDING MY GOOD CREDIT HOSTAGE!!!"

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2011, 11:00 AM
Also, the sight of Rep. Giffords being able to travel to Washington to the chambers she called home before this tragedy struck was very moving.

May God continue to bless her and her family.

The Profit
8/2/2011, 11:02 AM
Also, the sight of Rep. Giffords being able to travel to Washington to the chambers she called home before this tragedy struck was very moving.

May God continue to bless her and her family.

Great post.

soonercruiser
8/2/2011, 11:06 AM

Profit's ultra-LW posts are terrorism on this Forum!
LIke Gabby, teabaggers, as YOU call them, are representing exactly what the voters asked them to do.
(Kick Lib A**!)

okie52
8/2/2011, 11:07 AM
Did the courts determine that the guy who shot Giffords, et al, was mentally incompetent?

soonercruiser
8/2/2011, 11:08 AM

Don't worry.
There is usually a late night, alcohol related meltdown that does the trick.

The Profit
8/2/2011, 11:10 AM
Did the courts determine that the guy who shot Giffords, et al, was mentally incompetent?

I think they have initially. There will be other determinations as the process moves forward.

The Profit
8/2/2011, 11:10 AM
Profit's ultra-LW posts are terrorism on this Forum!
LIke Gabby, teabaggers, as YOU call them, are representing exactly what the voters asked them to do.
(Kick Lib A**!)

Teabaggers ARE terrorists, and you are a nut.

TUSooner
8/2/2011, 11:11 AM
Seeing Giffords was a pleasant surprise. I think any decent human being would wish her well and hope she recovers from her terrible injuries.....

Ahh, my friend, that's where you underestimate the powers of ideological indoctrination manifested here on the SO.

sooner59
8/2/2011, 11:20 AM
Ohh...partisan politics. It has got us here today in this situation that we are reveling in....a **** sandwich with Libs and Cons as the two pieces of bread. Don't get me wrong, I understand where both are coming from. Its just a bunch of childlike arguing and very little adult conversation from either side. Both sides are more concerned about their "good" image and their opponent's "bad" image than they are what needs to be done to get the country back on track. Its like a slow-motion train wreck. I really do fear for this country's future. Its sad, really.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2011, 11:56 AM

I didn't make one except to say that a bullet to her head was probably going to limit her ability to represent her constituents. It doesn't quite take a neuro-surgeon to make that leap.

soonercruiser
8/2/2011, 11:57 AM
Ohh...partisan politics. It has got us here today in this situation that we are reveling in....a **** sandwich with Libs and Cons as the two pieces of bread. Don't get me wrong, I understand where both are coming from. Its just a bunch of childlike arguing and very little adult conversation from either side. Both sides are more concerned about their "good" image and their opponent's "bad" image than they are what needs to be done to get the country back on track. Its like a slow-motion train wreck. I really do fear for this country's future. Its sad, really.

Really??
Who would disagree that it was good to see Gabby up & around.
I have only seen a few posters on this board use the word "hate" in their posts regularly.

Even if someone posts something that you don't believe, please feel free to disagree and come up with some facts to support it.
Don't just simply call posters names like the LW does.

Actually, although controversial - the economic and political posts on the SO are some of the most intelligent posts.
Really! Look at the other thread titles and links!.....all the degenerative talk about sex, genitalia, boobs, etc.
At least we are discussing something that can have a direct impact on American society!
Just maybe; maybe, it will make a little difference to someone who has an open mind.

Excuse my rant!
Go back to posting about genitalia!

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2011, 12:00 PM
Nevermind -- wrong post.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2011, 12:03 PM
Seeing Giffords was a pleasant surprise. I think any decent human being would wish her well and hope she recovers from her terrible injuries. It's hard to say what the future holds for her. She obviously has made amazing physical progress, but we still don't know anything about her cognitive functioning. I suspect in the long run she will be able to govern again, with limitations, although she will never be the same physically or cognitively. James Brady has been quite active in the post-shooting years since 1981, but he has and will always be a physical mess and have to deal with pain and cognitive lapses. Giffords is obviously more fortunate, but she will never be the same.

100% agree with every word.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2011, 12:08 PM
One more thing...

I couldn't care less if Giffords is a Democrat or Republican -- I would have said the exact same thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been following my posts these last several years and/or doesn't understand my politics.

lexsooner
8/2/2011, 12:13 PM

They did find him not competent to stand trial. Under federal law, he is then committed to a federal prison mental health hospital in order to be restored to competency. The court will then have to make the determination if he has been restored or not. If yes, the criminal process will proceed as normal. If not, he will likely be committed under another federal statute for those who pose a substantial danger of harm to persons or property because of a mental disease or defect. If the latter is true, he could theoretically spend his entire life in federal prison without ever having been convicted of a federal crime.

At the moment, the parties are fighting over his forced medication at the federal prison hospital. He was voicing suicidal thoughts so they determined it was a psychiatric emergency and medicated him. Then his lawyers raised heck over it and got an injunction from the 9th Circuit (Circus) preventing prison officials from force medicating him. The defense team wants to do any and everything to avoid him being restored. Anyway, the last I heard the forced medication issue was going to be argued at the 9th Circus. Too bad the shooting did not happen in the Fifth Circuit. Dude would be so full of psychotropics he would have been restored by now.

soonercruiser
8/2/2011, 12:49 PM

Good work!
I think this is almost a word for word from Rep Doyle and Joe Biden!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/palin-gop-respond-alleged-biden-terror-comment/story?id=14209743

okie52
8/2/2011, 01:19 PM
They did find him not competent to stand trial. Under federal law, he is then committed to a federal prison mental health hospital in order to be restored to competency. The court will then have to make the determination if he has been restored or not. If yes, the criminal process will proceed as normal. If not, he will likely be committed under another federal statute for those who pose a substantial danger of harm to persons or property because of a mental disease or defect. If the latter is true, he could theoretically spend his entire life in federal prison without ever having been convicted of a federal crime.

At the moment, the parties are fighting over his forced medication at the federal prison hospital. He was voicing suicidal thoughts so they determined it was a psychiatric emergency and medicated him. Then his lawyers raised heck over it and got an injunction from the 9th Circuit (Circus) preventing prison officials from force medicating him. The defense team wants to do any and everything to avoid him being restored. Anyway, the last I heard the forced medication issue was going to be argued at the 9th Circus. Too bad the shooting did not happen in the Fifth Circuit. Dude would be so full of psychotropics he would have been restored by now.

Thanks.

It would seem like if he is determined to be incompetent now within a few months following the shootings that it would be hard to prove he was sane at the time of the shootings.

sooner59
8/2/2011, 01:25 PM
Really??
Who would disagree that it was good to see Gabby up & around.
I have only seen a few posters on this board use the word "hate" in their posts regularly.

Even if someone posts something that you don't believe, please feel free to disagree and come up with some facts to support it.
Don't just simply call posters names like the LW does.

Actually, although controversial - the economic and political posts on the SO are some of the most intelligent posts.
Really! Look at the other thread titles and links!.....all the degenerative talk about sex, genitalia, boobs, etc.
At least we are discussing something that can have a direct impact on American society!
Just maybe; maybe, it will make a little difference to someone who has an open mind.

Excuse my rant!
Go back to posting about genitalia!

I wasn't talking about Giffords. I think it was very nice to see her up and around and getting back to it. I was talking about the type of posts from both sides that enter into such conversations. And I said that I understood where people on both sides are coming from, so in a sense, I agree. However, I made it obvious that I disagree with the way it gets handled. I assume most rational people would as well. Look how much gets done nowadays. And I never stated anything as a fact, rather an opinion. You don't need facts to back up an opinion. Although, I would say that it is a fact that the future doesn't look extremely bright and neither side is helping that much these days.

I didn't realize that I was posting about genitalia. Though some of the posts in the political threads are about as silly. Not all, but some.

47straight
8/2/2011, 02:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Very humorous.

Please don't quote The Profit. It defeats the efficacy of the ignore feature.

okie52
8/2/2011, 02:24 PM

;)

The Profit
8/2/2011, 02:32 PM

Would someone copy this post so that he can read where I say, "eat me, loser."

Breadburner
8/2/2011, 02:37 PM
You mean this P.M you sent me....

8/2/2011, 03:33 PM
The Profit
Sooner All-Big XII

Hey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

Go **** yourself dickbreath.

The Profit
8/2/2011, 02:49 PM

The Profit
Sooner All-Big XII

Hey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

Yes, something like that.......

Oh, did I hurt your feelings? My bad.

Breadburner
8/2/2011, 03:24 PM
Yes, something like that.......

Oh, did I hurt your feelings? My bad.

Not at all ....Dingle-berry.....Now those six year olds you're on par with.....You might have hurt theirs.....Why do you hate kids and baseball....

soonercruiser
8/2/2011, 03:38 PM
:pop:

The Profit
8/2/2011, 03:38 PM
Not at all ....Dingle-berry.....Now those six year olds you're on par with.....You might have hurt theirs.....Why do you hate kids and baseball....

I love kids and I love baseball. I am disgusted by dads, who think 6 year olds need to play 100-200 games per year for their entertainment. Oh, by the way, dingleberry is one word and their's needs an apostrophe.

TUSooner
8/2/2011, 04:16 PM
I love kids and I love baseball. I am disgusted by dads, who think 6 year olds need to play 100-200 games per year for their entertainment. Oh, by the way, dingleberry is one word and their's needs an apostrophe.

You are so wrong!!!!
"Theirs" is correct and complete; no apostrophe is ever needed. Rep. Giffords's neurosurgeons unanimously agree with me.

The Profit
8/2/2011, 04:20 PM
You are so wrong!!!!
"Theirs" is correct and complete; no apostrophe is ever needed. Rep. Giffords's neurosurgeons unanimously agree with me.

I was wrong and you are correct.

47straight
8/2/2011, 05:33 PM

The Profit
Sooner All-Big XII

Hey

Hey,

Such harsh words for a Presbyterian deacon.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/2/2011, 05:48 PM
One more thing...

I couldn't care less if Giffords is a Democrat or Republican -- I would have said the exact same thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been following my posts these last several years and/or doesn't understand my politics.

However, if she was braindead, wearing a VOTE ANDREW JOHNSON t-shirt, and giving Robert E. Lee's corpse a handski under the table with a tape recorder playing the best of Jeff Davis' speeches, she'd have earned her place in the hallowed halls of Congress.

Amiright? Yeah? :P

The Profit
8/2/2011, 06:22 PM
Such harsh words for a Presbyterian deacon.

Elder fool.

soonercruiser
8/2/2011, 07:00 PM
I was wrong and you are correct.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

This is a very special day in Profit posting history.
He NEVER admitted he was wrong on the OUI!

"Now, isn't that special"?
Profit! I gave you spek!
;)

The Profit
8/2/2011, 07:07 PM
I always admit it when I am wrong. I am right about this, though. You couldn't spell cat if I spotted you the c and the t.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2011, 10:06 PM
However, if she was braindead, wearing a VOTE ANDREW JOHNSON t-shirt, and giving Robert E. Lee's corpse a handski under the table with a tape recorder playing the best of Jeff Davis' speeches, she'd have earned her place in the hallowed halls of Congress.

Amiright? Yeah? :P

****, I'd be building monuments of her. I'd hit that.

TitoMorelli
8/2/2011, 10:15 PM
Elder fool.

Shouldn't that have a comma? ;)

The Profit
8/3/2011, 08:43 AM
Shouldn't that have a comma? ;)

Yes, it should.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2012, 02:42 PM
Congressman Jeff Flake just posted the following on Facebook and Twitter:

Just spoke to Pia Carusone, Gabby Gifford's Chief of Staff. Gabby will resign this week from Congress to focus full time on recovery. What a class act Gabby is, and what a great job her staff has done during this difficult and challenging year. Can't wait to be with Gabby in Washington this week.

Not to say, "I told you so" but this entire period from the shooting to this point has left her district without representation. I both empathize and sympathize with her and wish her the best, but she should have left her office as soon as she was cognizant enough to do so.

KABOOKIE
1/22/2012, 09:36 PM
....but she should have left her office as soon as she was cognizant enough to do so.

Yeah, have you seen her talk? I think her resigning and becoming cognizant enough to do so were probably timed about right.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/23/2012, 09:24 AM
Congressman Jeff Flake just posted the following on Facebook and Twitter:

Not to say, "I told you so" but this entire period from the shooting to this point has left her district without representation. I both empathize and sympathize with her and wish her the best, but she should have left her office as soon as she was cognizant enough to do so.

She had a full staff in place who, I'm sure, handled her district's needs. Staff usually deals with constituents anyway.

This played out the way it should have, given the tragic events. She should not have been expelled.

dwarthog
1/23/2012, 11:56 AM
She had a full staff in place who, I'm sure, handled her district's needs. Staff usually deals with constituents anyway.

This played out the way it should have, given the tragic events. She should not have been expelled.

Your point is well made.

Arguably, her staff wasn't elected to office. And there is the possiblity a person or persons on the staff could leverage something like this and behave in a manner otherwise inconsistent with how she would have behaved, and there not be person in "charge" to say NO.

A moot point however, as she has made the right decision here. I wish her the best on her recovery. She still has a lot of work in front of her.

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2012, 01:55 PM

Staff can't vote which is the essence of representation.