PDA

View Full Version : sUSCk to ncaa

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2011, 02:31 PM
We promise that we will be good from now on.:O

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j-nLLSqLDMsCnBbMEzmiFpj13_UQ?docId=0ff0412226ec4d0bb 93b1de496f9c86e

NMSooner'80
1/22/2011, 02:43 PM
I'm still amazed that the NCAA even put them on probation in the first place. If it'd been OU, it would have been Death Penalty Times Five.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 05:37 PM
I'm still amazed that the NCAA even put them on probation in the first place. If it'd been OU, it would have been Death Penalty Times Five.

Not so sure about that. OU would have been far more cooperative and less arrogant. I think USC's handling of the problem after it was discovered had more to do with their punishment.

The NCAA has no legal authority, so it relies on the cooperation of the institution to get to the bottom of things. Play tough, and they will come back and hammer you.

Jacie
1/23/2011, 08:19 PM

I don't believe the NCAA will ever do that to any school again. Doing so to SMU contributed to the decline and eventual collapse of an entire conference and it wasn't until this last season that one could say the ponies had completely recovered from it. The NCAA may be a bunch of control freaks, but if a school is not allowed to play, they got nothing to control. The death penalty is a case of it hurts them almost as much as it hurts the school.

SC Sooner
1/24/2011, 09:10 AM
Does this mean if they are successful, Reggie get's his Heisman back too?

MeMyself&Me
1/24/2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure they were eligible for the Death Penalty anyway. Doesn't a school have to currently be on probation for a previous offense before they can apply the Death Penalty? That's one thing I took from the the 30 for 30 documentary on SMU that I didn't know before.

OUthunder
1/24/2011, 09:58 AM
I bet it gets reduced in some way or fashion.

85sooners
1/24/2011, 10:11 AM
USC is gay

Flagstaffsooner
1/24/2011, 01:13 PM
USC is gayWell, there's big news.:D

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 01:17 PM
Does this mean if they are successful, Reggie get's his Heisman back too?

Nope.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 01:18 PM
I bet it gets reduced in some way or fashion.

Maybe it should. I was pretty amazed at how nasty the penalties were, and a reduction may be warranted. But they still need to pay a hefty price for their arrogance.

agoo758
1/24/2011, 01:23 PM
it wasn't until this last season that one could say the ponies had completely recovered from it.

You still can't say SMU has completely recovered from it, they are still in a much smaller conference than they previously were and still has a long way to go before it can compete for a MNC.

stoopified
1/24/2011, 03:43 PM
Not so sure about that. OU would have been far more cooperative and less arrogant. I think USC's handling of the problem after it was discovered had more to do with their punishment.

The NCAA has no legal authority, so it relies on the cooperation of the institution to get to the bottom of things. Play tough, and they will come back and hammer you.When OU underwent probation in 1973I recall that is was stated that failure to cooperate was a major violation in and of itself amd that is why OU and other schools cooperated with the NCAA.I wonder if the rule has changed because I never heard that the NCAA threatened a charge of failure to cooperate against USC .I remember thinking that charge was overdue considering how the Condomns stonewalled.