PDA

View Full Version : Its The Off-Season, so bear with me

oudavid1
1/22/2011, 02:43 AM
Just for fun....because i know im alone.

I think Oklahoma is just as well off now with Jones then we were with Bradford.

Think about it.

Landry in 2010....last 3 games.

Beat OSU on the road with 2 TD passes in the 4th.

Came back down 17 to NEBRASKA....the team with that great corner.

Then won a BCS Game easy(say what you want, LJ played really well)

Im not saying Sam wasnt great, he was.

Im not saying Landry is better by a lot, but i dont think Sam is better by a lot either.

In "Shoot-outs"

Texas 2008, We lost.

OSU 2010, We Won.

I know OSU(2010) wasnt as good as Texas in 2008 (or at best its debatable)

But Landry was on the road.

Just a fun little argument.

Now butcher me.

agoo758
1/22/2011, 02:48 AM
I would say that the only complaint I would have against Jones at this point is his tendency to backpedal in the pocket as opposed to step up or rolling out. He plays well enough as it is with that tendency, but if he can get that fixed, he has a chance to be as good as Sam.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 03:14 AM
I wonder what Sooner fans will be like when they turn 90.

"Let me tell, grandson. We had this quarterback once named Sam Bradley and he was the greatest. He could throw the ball 100 yards and ran like a deer. In fact, he may have been the fastest player to ever play college football. Well, he went up against Texas once, and when he went back to pass no one was open. So he just ran straight down the middle. Texas had this player on their team... what was his name... Dexter Manley. A mountain of a man. And ole Sam just stiff-armed him to the turf. The coach of Texas at the time, Abe Lemons, said that Dexter cried like a baby in the locker room because Sam broke his nose on that stiff-arm. Yeah, that Sam was really sumthin."

SoonerKnight
1/22/2011, 03:21 AM
I wonder what Sooner fans will be like when they turn 90.

"Let me tell, grandson. We had this quarterback once named Sam Bradley and he was the greatest. He could throw the ball 100 yards and ran like a deer. In fact, he may have been the fastest player to ever play college football. Well, he went up against Texas once, and when he went back to pass no one was open. So he just ran straight down the middle. Texas had this player on their team... what was his name... Dexter Manley. A mountain of a man. And ole Sam just stiff-armed him to the turf. The coach of Texas at the time, Abe Lemons, said that Dexter cried like a baby in the locker room because Sam broke his nose on that stiff-arm. Yeah, that Sam was really sumthin."

Now that is just plain wierd!!

yermom
1/22/2011, 03:26 AM
none of our Heisman winners managed a national championship

Sammy did have the luxury of a pretty solid line and receivers around him when he started

Landry got thrown into the fire with a thin line and young receivers

if you compare 2007 Sam with 2010 Landry i'd say they are pretty close

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 03:32 AM

:confused: (Vessels)

soonerbub
1/22/2011, 03:34 AM
If 2008 osu wasn't a shootout (61-41) I don't know what is.
Every game of 2008 (minus gators) could be considered a shootout--it just so happened that most all were one-sided :cool:

yermom
1/22/2011, 03:34 AM
:confused: (Vessels)

not in his Heisman season

how much did he play in '50?

Aries
1/22/2011, 08:31 AM
Way too many factors to say that Landy is better than Sam simply because of those outcomes. For example the Texas team that beat Sam was light years better than the one Landry beat. Sam was better. Landry is good though, we can win with him.

tcrb
1/22/2011, 09:51 AM
Both of them have had different players around them....oline, rb's (with the exception of DM) and receivers, so in reality it's a tough comparison to make. Sam was good....no Sam was great, Heisman great. I'd say Landry is definitely in the same league. But he needs to take home his own stiff arm in order to be remembered as Sam's equal. If he can manage that and get #8 for OU, he might just surpass Sam in the legend department.

Doged
1/22/2011, 10:01 AM
If he can manage that and get #8 for OU, he might just surpass Sam in the legend department.

Why does he need both? Sam overtook Jason without both, after all.

tcrb
1/22/2011, 10:15 AM
Why does he need both? Sam overtook Jason without both, after all.

Because that is my opinion, that's why. :D

Mazeppa
1/22/2011, 08:35 PM
He needs to improve in the red zone. ( going in and coming out)

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 08:51 PM
He needs to improve in the red zone. ( going in and coming out)

I think the TEAM needs to improve in the red zone.

Big D Sooner
1/22/2011, 10:33 PM
Bradford was and still is great. I think, though, that sometimes people remember him being perfect or superhuman and set a standard for Jones that neither he, nor the real Sam Bradford, can really live up to. It is the same as when people talk about the "good ole days," but the reality was that the past wasn't as idealic as we remember it. When we think of the present, we analyze it and think of all the bad things, the stressors, the problems. When we think of the past, we get nostalgic and tend to remember good times or good feelings. I think that we do a similar thing to athletes. With past players we think of all of their great plays or great games and forget the mundane plays or their little mistakes. For example, if I mention Jason White, most people think of the deep throws to Mark Clayton and laying 65 on the whorns, but hardly anyone remember that the dude struggled early in games due to nerves or had trouble with throwing high on slant routes.

Basically, my not so short point is give Landry Jones a break and enjoy his greatness because this guy is REALLY good. Don't miss it because you are too busy wishing that he was the Sam Bradford that you have built up in your mind.

stoopified
1/22/2011, 10:50 PM

Billy Vessels was on the1950 team,Billy Sims was on the 1975 team.Jason White was on the 2000 team. To be fair only Vessels had any real contribution to the NC but if you are on the team you get a ring.

oudavid1
1/22/2011, 11:04 PM
If 2008 osu wasn't a shootout (61-41) I don't know what is.
Every game of 2008 (minus gators) could be considered a shootout--it just so happened that most all were one-sided :cool:

ahhhh i see.

But i honestly think LJ played better against Oklahoma State in 2010
than Bradford in 2008. (Bradford was still great)
The 3rd down play to Kenny, i really cant think of a Bradford throw as good as that one(someone help) i know there has to be.

stoopified
1/22/2011, 11:08 PM
not in his Heisman season

how much did he play in '50?Enough to rush for over 900 yards and score 13 TDs

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 11:15 PM
Basically, my not so short point is give Landry Jones a break and enjoy his greatness because this guy is REALLY good. Don't miss it because you are too busy wishing that he was the Sam Bradford that you have built up in your mind.

Well stated.

If Jones matches up statistically with Bradford, then he is just as good. Right now he isn't that far off and with some improvement it could happen.

Mike Stoops
1/22/2011, 11:20 PM
One thing I like about Landry is the moment never seems to get too big for him. He can shake off a bad throw/INT and respond with a great drive. Sam I think put too much pressure on himself at times, would get rattled if we started to fall behind. Sam is a once in a lifetime player but Landry has his moments.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 11:28 PM
One thing I like about Landry is the moment never seems to get too big for him. He can shake off a bad throw/INT and respond with a great drive. Sam I think put too much pressure on himself at times, would get rattled if we started to fall behind.

Mike, your comment about Sam could be interpreted as somewhat negative. Now I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. And I'm sure that if you come back in here and explain yourself, the others will overlook this unfortunate incident. We're all pretty good guys in here. We don't want to see you get in any trouble.

Mike Stoops
1/22/2011, 11:39 PM
I called the guy a once in a lifetime player so I don't see how my overall analysis could be construed as negative. There's not a bigger Sam Bradford fan than me. I watch and root for the Rams just because he plays for them. I just think Landry may be a little more "clutch." I can point out a quality that one player has without knocking the other and vice versa.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 11:57 PM
I called the guy a once in a lifetime player so I don't see how my overall analysis could be construed as negative. There's not a bigger Sam Bradford fan than me.

Whew, that was a close call.

Mike Stoops
1/23/2011, 12:09 AM
I generally don't bash players at the collegiate level anyway. When something goes wrong in a game I blame the coaches. They're the ones getting paid. I guess you could call me a coach basher.

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 01:35 AM
I generally don't bash players at the collegiate level anyway.

Yet you post here on SF. :D

gaylordfan1
1/23/2011, 01:49 AM
Classic Lizard... Always picking a fight ;)

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 01:51 AM
Classic Lizard... Always picking a fight ;)

It's gettin' easier and easier every day.

Collier11
1/23/2011, 02:02 AM
Landry still makes too many dumb decisions to be on Sams level, if he gets us to the national title game next year we can start talking

LoveDemSooners
1/23/2011, 02:16 AM
Landry still makes too many dumb decisions to be on Sams level, if he gets us to the national title game next year we can start talking

Agreed.

goingoneight
1/23/2011, 02:17 AM
Sam is great in many ways. His resume alone proves that much. What made him so unique wasn't highlight reel-magic like the Heisman flip, it was the fact that he could thread the needle unlike many pros as early as a freshman in college.
Like Stoops said all year long in 2009 and 2010... take out a couple guys named Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy and we're talking OUTSTANDING statistics from Jones. What he's accomplished with conceivably two more years to go means we have VERY LITTLE to worry about at the QB position outside of keeping LJ safe and upright, which is up to his surrounding cast.
The fact that Jones missed All-BIG 12 honors is a joke. A j-o-k-e. The fact that people doubt what he can do for us is an even bigger joke. We always point back to the Blake years to see how bad things could be, but I'll point to something more realistic and more recent.

Rhett Bomar
Garrett Gilbert

Now, I'll point out a few guys with MNC rings who LJ is better than statistically.

Matt Mock
Matt Flynn
Greg McElroy
... this list goes on and on.

QB is not OU's problem. Sam may be the Barry Sanders of college QBs. Unbelievable talent, a thrill to watch and VERY hard to duplicate. But LJ is certainly on a Heupel/White level with plenty of time to improve.

JLEW1818
1/23/2011, 09:41 AM
You can look at it a couple ways. I will look at it from a NFL perspective. Sam Bradford came back for his RS JR season. He was a projected first pick if he would have came out his RS Soph year.

Jones was not even disscused this past year about the NFL.

Not the only way to look at it... But one.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2011, 09:58 AM
This^...and Sam had many throws that were better than that pass to Kenney..

The guy was open..Sam could thread a needle against any db in the country

TahoeSOONER
1/23/2011, 11:19 AM
Sam had it upstairs, not that Landry doesn't, and could go through two or three reads and it was hard to confuse him. His accuracy was off the charts.

Landry will only get better but I've seen a few games where I was wondering what he was thinking as far as reads. It will be interesting without Demarco because he was a safety net checkdown for Jones.

We're lucky to have all these great QBs rolling through and it speaks volumes of the coaching staff that's developing them.

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 12:58 PM
You can look at it a couple ways. I will look at it from a NFL perspective. Sam Bradford came back for his RS JR season. He was a projected first pick if he would have came out his RS Soph year.

Unfair comparison. Bradford got to start his freshman season right out of the gate behind a pretty good OL. Jones had to replace an injured Bradford behind the same line that got Bradford killed... twice.

It's probably easier to shine when you're declared the starter in the spring and the offense is built around you. Jones had no such luxury.

A more fair comparison would be to compare Jones' junior year with Bradford's sophomore year.

King Barry's Back
1/23/2011, 02:33 PM
Both of them have had different players around them....oline, rb's (with the exception of DM) and receivers, so in reality it's a tough comparison to make. Sam was good....no Sam was great, Heisman great. I'd say Landry is definitely in the same league. But he needs to take home his own stiff arm in order to be remembered as Sam's equal. If he can manage that and get #8 for OU, he might just surpass Sam in the legend department.

Well, it's not just a "legends" argument.

In fact, Sam Bradford not only won the Heisman, he was picked number 1 in the NFL draft, helped to transform his NFL team as a rookie, and was rookie of the year.

You don't get those NFL accolades without being a truly great player.

I don't expect such lofty success for Landry Jones. Nothing against the guy, he is going to win us some games, and may bring us home another Heisman.

But he won't be a top pick, and won't be rookie of the year, and all that.

But he may still be a millionaire, so what's to complain about?

soonergirlNeugene
1/23/2011, 03:10 PM
Landry has come a long way. He's made a believer out of me.

And as far as comparing him to Sam, I kinda want to borrow that line from Kill Bill and say if you're gonna compare a Heupel QB, you compare him to every other QB ever coached....that wasn't coached by by Coach Heupel.

tcrb
1/23/2011, 03:41 PM
Sam had it upstairs, not that Landry doesn't, and could go through two or three reads and it was hard to confuse him. His accuracy was off the charts.

Landry will only get better but I've seen a few games where I was wondering what he was thinking as far as reads. It will be interesting without Demarco because he was a safety net checkdown for Jones.

We're lucky to have all these great QBs rolling through and it speaks volumes of the coaching staff that's developing them.

^ Two very good points, Tahoe. I think Sam's football IQ was/is really off the charts and the game slowed down for him very early on, and that is also the primary reason he did so well his rookie year in the NFL. Landry is getting it, but it seems to be taking longer for him than it did Sam.

Collier11
1/23/2011, 03:43 PM
Landry is developing at an above average rate, problem is that SB developed at a Legendary rate and therefore makes Landry look average when in fact he is really really really good

adoniijahsooner
1/23/2011, 05:36 PM
Unfair comparison. Bradford got to start his freshman season right out of the gate behind a pretty good OL. Jones had to replace an injured Bradford behind the same line that got Bradford killed... twice.

It's probably easier to shine when you're declared the starter in the spring and the offense is built around you. Jones had no such luxury.

A more fair comparison would be to compare Jones' junior year with Bradford's sophomore year.

"Right out the gate" may be right, but Bradford wasn't named the starter until shortly before the season started, and his 1st game stats were 21-23 363yds 3tds in about a half games work.

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 05:49 PM
"Right out the gate" may be right, but Bradford wasn't named the starter until shortly before the season started...

You can pretty well bet the coaching staff knew long before then who was going to start. And wasn't SB's first game against North Texas? (too lazy to look it up)

adoniijahsooner
1/23/2011, 05:57 PM
You know what's so retarded about this argument? We are judging it solely by stats that Landry will reach after Bradford was already in the clubhouse. We have every evidence in the world that Sam Bradford will always be a better QB than Landry Jones. I mean seriously.....

Robert Kraft

Robert Kraft dropped by and told me he thought Sam Bradford was really good and impressive and really putting the ball in pinpoint places that make you a winner,'' said Kroenke of the Patriots owner. "And that coming from him? That's good.

Mike Shanahan

He's a guy that comes around once every 10 years in my opinion. He's that type of quarterback.

1st rookie in NFL history to throw for 300 yds on the road without an INT.

Let me give you more....

He already has set NFL rookie marks for most passes thrown without an interception (169) and most completions (335). He also is among the top five rookie leaders in attempts, yards, and touchdown passes in league history.

Why does Landry have to be as good as Sam Bradford? Lesser qb's have won championships in college without being as good as some who have never won one.

adoniijahsooner
1/23/2011, 05:58 PM
You can pretty well bet the coaching staff knew long before then who was going to start. And wasn't SB's first game against North Texas? (too lazy to look it up)

21-23 is pretty good no matter who you play against. Wasn't Landry's 1st game this year against Utah State? Weren't many on here ready to string him up afterwards?

adoniijahsooner
1/23/2011, 06:03 PM
Also, let me reiterate.....Landry will lead this squad to a title, either this coming season or the season after. I truly believe that.

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 06:38 PM
You know what's so retarded about this argument? We are judging it solely by stats that Landry will reach after Bradford was already in the clubhouse. We have every evidence in the world that Sam Bradford will always be a better QB than Landry Jones. I mean seriously.....

Here is SB's sophomore Heisman season stats.

328/483 for 4720 yd, 67.9% 9.77 yd/att 50 TD 8 INT Rating 180.84

405/617 for 4718 yd, 65.6% 7.65 yd/att 38 TD 12 INT Rating 146.00.

Percentage of pass completions is about even and the total yards is practically dead even. Sam has two more yards per play.

So, if Jones plays pretty much like he did last year but throws for 12 more TDs and just four fewer INTs, he will match up with Sam statistically. At that point, no reasonable argument could be posted that Sam was better than Jones, because a QB's job is to complete passes, score TDs, and not throw INTs.

And there is nothing impossible about improving that much, especially lowering the INTs. He can do it, and I think all of us want him to. We'll see.

sperry
1/23/2011, 07:14 PM

Percentage of pass completions is about even and the total yards is practically dead even. Sam has two more yards per play.

So, if Jones plays pretty much like he did last year but throws for 12 more TDs and just four fewer INTs, he will match up with Sam statistically. At that point, no reasonable argument could be posted that Sam was better than Jones, because a QB's job is to complete passes, score TDs, and not throw INTs.

And there is nothing impossible about improving that much, especially lowering the INTs. He can do it, and I think all of us want him to. We'll see.

Landry threw the ball 140 more times than Sam. Landry is a very good quarterback. By the end of last season he was playing like a top 5 QB, and he's likely to be a top 3 QB in the country this season. He's not particularly close to Sam, but that doesn't mean he isn't good. Sam is one of the best passers to ever play collegiately.

JLEW1818
1/23/2011, 07:37 PM

don't agree... but yah.

And Sam was not declared the starter in the spring. I think it was like August? (2007)

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 08:15 PM
Landry threw the ball 140 more times than Sam.

Completion percentage is about the same.

sperry
1/23/2011, 08:53 PM
Completion percentage is about the same.

Great. He throws much shorter passes, which are easier to complete.

JLEW1818
1/23/2011, 08:58 PM
i remember seeing a stat at the end of the 2008 season. Bradford had like 50 completed passes of over 25 yards or more.

something like that.

soonerbub
1/23/2011, 09:00 PM
Gotta consider the YAC
a lotta Sam's bubble screens went for 70+

someone w a clicker and a projector get on that!!

JLEW1818
1/23/2011, 09:01 PM
well the play action bomb to Manny against tech helped :D

so did the Iggy bounce off hands to Jermaine pass against Okie St

both for TDs :D

lasooner123
1/23/2011, 09:15 PM
One thing I like about Landry is the moment never seems to get too big for him. He can shake off a bad throw/INT and respond with a great drive. Sam I think put too much pressure on himself at times, would get rattled if we started to fall behind. Sam is a once in a lifetime player but Landry has his moments.

sorry dude but you are way off here. landry panics in the tough moments. road games? check. man in his face? check.

sam was as cool in the pocket as any qb i have seen in college.

dont get me wrong landry is solid and im not bashing him but hes not in sams league mentally

goingoneight
1/23/2011, 09:47 PM
Sam had unique skill sets that likely would have taken him as far as he is today regardless of how good his surrounding cast was. As long as he was a starter, people would have seen how good he was, even if Gresham, three senior WRs and a veteran OL hadn't been in place. For instance, look at this whole comparison. People are starting to see what Landry's made of, regardless of how good or bad guys around him have been.
The 2007 and 2008 offenses were set for big time success, no matter who started at QB. Sam just so happened to take what many QBs might have had about 25 TDs and 15 INTs and made it oustanding 36 & 8 and followed it up the next year with 50 & 8 during what horn fans said would be his "sophomore slump."

Landry's much better than all of these doubters are saying, though. Next season, we should start to see what he's made of with a veteran cast surrounding him and not having to run a bunch of trinket pistol formations and such just to move the ball. With a veteran OL, and a group of TEs and FBs like we have coming back, he ought to be protected as well as Sam was his first two years. I mean, look at how well the guys kept him upright the last few games of 2010... if we get a good RT (which I would assume Jarvis Jones will do fine there), he ought to be able to line up under the center and shred people like he closed out the season doing so.

Again, the edge still has to go to Sam for Sam's unique abilities and accuracy, but Landry's no slouch.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2011, 09:51 PM
So since statistically is how a quarterback is measured, Colt Brennan is the best ever

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2011, 09:54 PM

So, if Jones plays pretty much like he did last year but throws for 12 more TDs and just four fewer INTs, he will match up with Sam statistically. At that point, no reasonable argument could be posted that Sam was better than Jones, because a QB's job is to complete passes, score TDs, and not throw INTs. And there is nothing impossible about improving that much, especially lowering the INTs. He can do it, and I think all of us want him to. We'll see.

This is a ridiculous statement..Was Tim Rattay better than Bradford? Colt Brennan? any of the Texas Tech quarterbacks?

oudavid1
1/23/2011, 09:57 PM
sorry dude but you are way off here. landry panics in the tough moments. road games? check. man in his face? check.

sam was as cool in the pocket as any qb i have seen in college.

dont get me wrong landry is solid and im not bashing him but hes not in sams league mentally

OSU, 3rd and long. 4th quarter. Touchdown on a frozen rope to the 15 yard dig.

I just covered everything you said.

And Ben Roethisberger is good with a man in his face....who else is?

Try again.

texaspokieokie
1/24/2011, 10:04 AM
didn't Sam have one or more road games that weren't all that good ??
just askin.

KantoSooner
1/24/2011, 11:11 AM
Sam was not 100% perfect.

Landry is very, very good.

Can we all get along?

<commence riot>

NormanPride
1/24/2011, 11:29 AM
Landry has better WRs.

KantoSooner
1/24/2011, 11:32 AM
Sam had a better TE

insert smilie here

soonergirlNeugene
1/24/2011, 11:43 AM
Sam had a better TE

insert smilie here

lol I'm a big fan of Sam's TE

KantoSooner
1/24/2011, 12:12 PM
Enough of this humor and frivolity.

Sam also had a down right offensive offensive line.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2011, 01:07 PM
Why does Landry have to be as good as Sam Bradford? Lesser qb's have won championships in college without being as good as some who have never won one.

Peyton Manning - Tee Martin anyone?

What I like about Landry going into next season is that he has been through the wars. And initially he didn't perform well in those tough spots (0 for 7 in 4th Q against Mo), but he didn't get down on himself and figured something out. The aggie and nebbish games were real turning points in my opinion of Landry.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 01:46 PM
Great. He throws much shorter passes, which are easier to complete.

Much shorter? The average yards per attempt differs by only about 2.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 01:49 PM
This is a ridiculous statement..Was Tim Rattay better than Bradford? Colt Brennan? any of the Texas Tech quarterbacks?

What is the job of the QB? Complete passes, throw for TDs, avoid INTs, run the offense. And win.

Landry can match up with Sam in all those categories with moderate improvement. At that point, what else is there?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2011, 02:32 PM
How about when and where you throw those completions? What about what is the situation when those plays are made? Is it 1st and 10? is it 3rd and 8?
Did those completions come on bubble screen passes or 12-15 yard out routes? How many of those plays were made at home against unranked opponents? how many were on the road?

Like I said, Tim Rattay, Colt Brennan, Timmy Chang...If statistics is your answer, all of those guys are better than Bradford

A guy throws for 59 percent completion rate, 31 TDs, and 19 INTs..
Another goes 71 percent completion rate, 48 TDs, and 14 INTs..

which one is better?

sperry
1/24/2011, 02:46 PM
Much shorter? The average yards per attempt differs by only about 2.

An over 2 yards per attempt difference is very significant when you're talking about numbers in the single digits.

At this point I think you're just arguing for the sake of argument. Whether you base it off of statistics or watching the two players, Bradford comes out a ways ahead. Which, when you're talking about one of the all time greats, isn't to be taken as an insult to the other guy.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/24/2011, 02:57 PM
Unfair comparison. Bradford got to start his freshman season right out of the gate behind a pretty good OL. Jones had to replace an injured Bradford behind the same line that got Bradford killed... twice.It's probably easier to shine when you're declared the starter in the spring and the offense is built around you. Jones had no such luxury.

this proves why sam was better...he had to be killed twice to keep him out off the field...thats determination! ;)

Curly Bill
1/24/2011, 03:02 PM
An over 2 yards per attempt difference is very significant when you're talking about numbers in the single digits.

Yes indeed.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 03:31 PM
How about when and where you throw those completions? What about what is the situation when those plays are made? Is it 1st and 10? is it 3rd and 8?
Did those completions come on bubble screen passes or 12-15 yard out routes? How many of those plays were made at home against unranked opponents? how many were on the road?

These are called excuses. Even if they mattered, are you going to cite such statistics to show that Sam is significantly better than Landry? After all, if the statistics match, the burden of proof is on you to show that the stats are in error.

The problem is that we all think Sam's passes were all 30-yard heaves, but I remember WRs on his team that had a knack for gaining many yards after the catch. This didn't just affect Landry.

Like I said, Tim Rattay, Colt Brennan, Timmy Chang...If statistics is your answer, all of those guys are better than Bradford

A guy throws for 59 percent completion rate, 31 TDs, and 19 INTs..
Another goes 71 percent completion rate, 48 TDs, and 14 INTs..

which one is better?

Did they play for the same team and coaching staff?

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 03:33 PM

Yes, but it certainly is within reach for Landry to close this gap. I'm not saying that Landry now is as good as Sam ever was; I'm saying he could be if he improves.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 03:34 PM
this proves why sam was better...he had to be killed twice to keep him out off the field...thats determination! ;)

Yeah, but he let a silly shoulder injury keep him out of the game. I would have been playing the next week.

yermom
1/24/2011, 03:36 PM
any real QB would have just thrown left handed

Soonerntxs
1/24/2011, 03:51 PM
STOP, TAKE A DEEP BREATH, NOW count to 10 and repeat after me....Landry Jones is OUr #8 National Champ QB from Artesia, NM.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2011, 04:16 PM
These are called excuses. Even if they mattered, are you going to cite such statistics to show that Sam is significantly better than Landry? After all, if the statistics match, the burden of proof is on you to show that the stats are in error.

So it doesn't matter that one quarterback executed better in situations than another did..

It doesn't matter that one threw 13 TDs and 7INTs in their soph season while another threw 26 TDS and 6INTs against ranked opponents? Or that one in obvious 3rd down and passing situations completed nearly 70 % of his passes while the other completed around 50%?

I don't understand what that is an excuse for.

Team Perkis
1/24/2011, 06:08 PM
I'm not going to put down Landry. He surprised me after the A&M game and performed very well.

However, he still locks on to his first reads too often and makes dumb decisions every now and then. Bradford was on an entirely different level intellectually and mentally at the quarterback level.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 07:21 PM
So it doesn't matter that one quarterback executed better in situations than another did.

It doesn't matter that one threw 13 TDs and 7INTs in their soph season while another threw 26 TDS and 6INTs against ranked opponents? Or that one in obvious 3rd down and passing situations completed nearly 70 % of his passes while the other completed around 50%?

I don't understand what that is an excuse for.

Suppose SB completed more passes on third and long than LJ. Does that mean SB performed better? Surely completing passes on third and long is seemingly more impressive than on first and ten, but then the question arises: If SB really completed more third-and-long passes, why was the team placed in third-and-long in the first place if he was doing his job so well?

If both QBs have roughly the same completion percentage and SB had a far higher percentage completion on third and long, where did SB fall short? First and 10? Why?

Is it better to have a higher percentage on first and 10 or third and 10? Danged if I know. Maybe if LJ has a higher percentage on first and 10, he wouldn't need a higher percentage on third and 10.

As for the 13TDs and 7 INTs, I'm not sure whom you are referring.

adoniijahsooner
1/24/2011, 07:34 PM
Ok Leroy...so would you much rather have a red-shirt junior Landry Jones quarterbacking your Oklahoma squad, or a red shirt junior Sam Bradford?

Also, in 08 Sam's offense averaged more on the road than it did at home. Can you believe that?

adoniijahsooner
1/24/2011, 07:35 PM
If SB really completed more third-and-long passes, why was the team placed in third-and-long in the first place if he was doing his job so well?

Kevin Wilson:D .

JLEW1818
1/24/2011, 08:13 PM
Sam never had a Nebraska 2009 .....

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 08:26 PM
Ok Leroy...so would you much rather have a red-shirt junior Landry Jones quarterbacking your Oklahoma squad, or a red shirt junior Sam Bradford?

I won't be able to answer that until the end of this upcoming season.

Also, in 08 Sam's offense averaged more on the road than it did at home. Can you believe that?

Is it better to average more on the road than at home?

Now, if you are suggesting that averaging more on the road is better than at home because bowl games are played on the road, then I would point out that SB was 0-2 in bowl games. So in the end, what difference does it make?

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 08:27 PM
Kevin Wilson:D .

But both QBs played under KW.

JLEW1818
1/24/2011, 08:28 PM
i think Nimmo could have beat uconn

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 08:28 PM
Sam never had a Nebraska 2009 .....

Irrelevant to this discussion.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 08:29 PM
i think Nimmo could have beat uconn

Fallacy by prophecy. (And a self-fulfilling prophecy at that.)

JLEW1818
1/24/2011, 08:31 PM
we should just go no running game at all. That way Jones can be better than Tom Brady too

PASS ONLY!!!

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 08:33 PM
we should just go no running game at all. That way Jones can be better than Tom Brady too

PASS ONLY!!!

My gut feeling is that his completion percentage would plummet.