PDA

View Full Version : Dinner at Maria's Taqueria

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 12:39 AM
Both kids had other things to do tonight, so my wife and I went to Maria's Taqueria for dinner. We order tres tacos de carnitas, dos tacos de carne asada, uno taco de lengua, y uno taco de tripitas. One diet and one horchata to drink. The young mija at the register must have made a mistake - the bill was only $8.77. And to think I could have blown 50 bucks at some corporate chain restaurant for poor service and a ****ty meal.

Maria, probably in her early 50s, is the main cook. Her young niece and daughter-in-law run the counter. Most of the traffic is for take-out, but we eat it there.... a few tables out of the way of the traffic.

Yeah, the bill was supposed to be $11.34 so I just put a five in the tip jar and called it even.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/Photo-0041.jpg

sooner59
1/22/2011, 01:29 AM
I had Big Truck Tacos for lunch. :D

Actually I had their special which was mini hot dogs. Best hot dogs ever. Bun was toasted yet soft and one had sour kraut and mustard, the other had hot peppers and a lime mayo with scallions. Homemade potato chips, and an orange Jaritos. Added a 5th amendment taco, which ended up being a spicy chicken with fresh spinach, pico, and capers with a spicy cream sauce. I added a fruity habanero sauce to it as well. Trust me, I am paying for it right now. My body disagrees with the amount of spicy in my body.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 01:42 AM
I had Big Truck Tacos for lunch. :D

Actually I had their special which was mini hot dogs. Best hot dogs ever. Bun was toasted yet soft and one had sour kraut and mustard, the other had hot peppers and a lime mayo with scallions. Homemade potato chips, and an orange Jaritos. Added a 5th amendment taco, which ended up being a spicy chicken with fresh spinach, pico, and capers with a spicy cream sauce. I added a fruity habanero sauce to it as well. Trust me, I am paying for it right now. My body disagrees with the amount of spicy in my body.

I'm waiting for the Koren and Viet Namese trucks, like they have in LA, to hit my area. Haven't seen any yet.

sooner59
1/22/2011, 01:45 AM
I just recently hit up the Asian district in OKC. I had a Bahn Mi sandwich. It was really good....and it only cost $2 for basically a foot long sandwich. I don't think they understand American money yet. ;)

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 02:08 AM
jaun , so yer sayin ya screwed yer country men out of 2.50 then stiffed the waitress ?
You da Man

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 02:11 AM
I didn't stiff the waitress. I gave the girl who took the order $5 for an $11 meal.

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 02:20 AM
I didn't stiff the waitress. I gave the girl who took the order $5 for an $11 meal.

Yea ya stiffed her. Think about it, Ya paid 8 bucks fer a 11 plus meal, The chick is gonna have to make up the Dif, out of her tip, So Yea ya stiffed her .:rolleyes:

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 02:28 AM
Yea ya stiffed her. Think about it, Ya paid 8 bucks fer a 11 plus meal, The chick is gonna have to make up the Dif, out of her tip, So Yea ya stiffed her .:rolleyes:

1. even if she did have to make up the difference, she'd still get about a 20% tip.

Real price - charged price = 11.34 - 8.77 = 2.57.

Tip left if she makes up the difference = 5 - 2.57 = 2.43.

Tip/real cost of meal = 2.43/11.34 = 21%

2. I highly doubt she has to make up the difference. She's running the cash register.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 02:33 AM
Check this out:

http://www.bitterwallet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tacobell.jpg

I like to order the tacos with extra sour cream. Even better, I swipe a few hot sauce packets to take home.

And no, I wasn't stoned.

And no, I didn't leave a tip. That's extra savings right there!

sooner59
1/22/2011, 02:35 AM
Best thing at Taco Bell: Baja Chicken Chalupa.

Its saved Taco Bell for me when it was introduced.

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2011, 02:41 AM
Check this out:

http://www.bitterwallet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tacobell.jpg

I like to order the tacos with extra sour cream. Even better, I swipe a few hot sauce packets to take home.

And no, I wasn't stoned.

And no, I didn't leave a tip. That's extra savings right there!

Your taste in food is almost as bad as your taste in women, almost.

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 02:43 AM
1. even if she did have to make up the difference, she'd still get about a 20% tip.

Real price - charged price = 11.34 - 8.77 = 2.57.

Tip left if she makes up the difference = 5 - 2.57 = 2.43.

Tip/real cost of meal = 2.43/11.34 = 21%

2. I highly doubt she has to make up the difference. She's running the cash register.

yer trying to tell me that yall went and had dinner fer13 bucks and change in Ca.?

jaun you are so full of it :P

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 02:44 AM
Your taste in food is almost as bad as your taste in women, almost.

would you 2 just get a room ?

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 02:56 AM
would you 2 just get a room ?

Oh geez, look who's talking.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 02:58 AM
yer trying to tell me that yall went and had dinner fer13 bucks and change in Ca.?

The $11.34 was the sales tax.

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2011, 03:07 AM
¿Cuánto es eso en pesos?

yermom
1/22/2011, 03:33 AM
taco de tripitas?

i'm not saying i never go to Taco Bell, but if i had a taco stand on the way home that was open late, i'd probably never go to Taco Bell, etc...

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2011, 03:55 AM
This thread is giving me gas.

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 04:12 AM
juan, ya like the red sauce?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 04:13 AM

Full of good tacos, yes. That's the point of my OP -- great food for so little money instead of 50 bucks for corporate chain food.

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 04:18 AM
Full of good tacos, yes. That's the point of my OP -- great food for so little money instead of 50 bucks for corporate chain food.

so ya went south and ate ?

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2011, 04:19 AM
Full of good tacos, yes. That's the point of my OP -- great food for so little money instead of 50 bucks for corporate chain food.So give it to the Jews instead of the messicans.

That's racist:D

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 04:27 AM
So give it to the Jews instead of the messicans.

That's racist:D

juan is racist ?:eek: :pop:

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2011, 04:45 AM
juan is racist ?:eek: :pop:
No, he's not, he tries to f*** white womens all the time, they wont have him.

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 04:48 AM
No he's not he tries to f*** white womens all the time, they wont have him.

Naw ya got that wrong, juan likes his wimmens WET.:hot: :D

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2011, 04:51 AM
WET.:hot: :DBACK
thats racists.

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 04:52 AM
BACK

no all of her

AlbqSooner
1/22/2011, 08:11 AM

Generally the person running the register has an imprest bank. They start with a given amount. At the end of their shift they take the register tape, and subtract the original imprest. Whatever the difference should be there in cash. If not, the register operator is responsible for it.

She made up the difference.

waynepayne
1/22/2011, 10:44 AM
Both kids had other things to do tonight, so my wife and I went to Maria's Taqueria for dinner. We order tres tacos de carnitas, dos tacos de carne asada, uno taco de lengua, y uno taco de tripitas. One diet and one horchata to drink. The young mija at the register must have made a mistake - the bill was only $8.77. And to think I could have blown 50 bucks at some corporate chain restaurant for poor service and a ****ty meal.

Maria, probably in her early 50s, is the main cook. Her young niece and daughter-in-law run the counter. Most of the traffic is for take-out, but we eat it there.... a few tables out of the way of the traffic.

Yeah, the bill was supposed to be $11.34 so I just put a five in the tip jar and called it even.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/Photo-0041.jpg

Goshdarn you! While I did have pho last night and was very happy after that just looks incredible. Not to mention I just woke up and am starved! grrrrrr!

waynepayne
1/22/2011, 10:46 AM
Oh geez, look who's talking.

exactly. Now we just wait for J-Wow to show up and "get his back"....

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 11:08 AM
Generally the person running the register has an imprest bank. They start with a given amount. At the end of their shift they take the register tape, and subtract the original imprest. Whatever the difference should be there in cash. If not, the register operator is responsible for it.

She made up the difference.

I don't think so. I doubt she ever realized her mistake. As we told her our order, she yells it back to Maria in the kitchen. Then she rings it up on the register.

I paid with a debit card. She rung up $8.77. Apparently she forgot to ring up something and/or miscounted the number of tacos, because the tacos are $1.25 each. 7 x $1.25 = 8.75. Plus the two drinks, plus tax, should have been $11.34.

The debit receipt didn't itemize the order - just said 8.77. I didn't start thinking about the low amount until we were sitting at the table eating.

sooner59
1/22/2011, 02:07 PM
Goshdarn you! While I did have pho last night and was very happy after that just looks incredible. Not to mention I just woke up and am starved! grrrrrr!

What is your favorite place for pho? I was thinking about trying it at Pho Hoa.

waynepayne
1/22/2011, 02:18 PM
What is your favorite place for pho? I was thinking about trying it at Pho Hoa.

Hey 59, pho lovers in OKC seem to be divided between Pho Hoa or Pho Cuong. I am in the Pho Cuong camp. I dont think the broth or the spring rolls can be beat and the owners are very nice. 30th and Classen

Enjoy :)

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 02:47 PM
I don't think so. I doubt she ever realized her mistake. As we told her our order, she yells it back to Maria in the kitchen. Then she rings it up on the register.

I paid with a debit card. She rung up $8.77. Apparently she forgot to ring up something and/or miscounted the number of tacos, because the tacos are $1.25 each. 7 x $1.25 = 8.75. Plus the two drinks, plus tax, should have been $11.34.

The debit receipt didn't itemize the order - just said 8.77. I didn't start thinking about the low amount until we were sitting at the table eating.

So you knew there was a mistake and went ahead and let it ride?
jaun you know that if thats all they bare charging for that amount of food, then they dont have a very large profit margin, yet you went ahead and took advantage of yer people.

Yea you stiffed em .:rolleyes:

SpankyNek
1/22/2011, 03:21 PM
Thought you were talking about Maria's in Moore...it's very good.

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 05:44 PM
Thought you were talking about Maria's in Moore...it's very good.

No, he's talking about a Maria's that none of us will likely ever be able to step into. This is valuable information.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2011, 10:11 PM
No, he's talking about a Maria's that none of us will likely ever be able to step into. This is valuable information.

Hey, Leroy, don't you have a relative or in-law up around Elk Grove?