PDA

View Full Version : ESPiN - TCU not happy game could move

oudavid1
1/21/2011, 12:41 PM
TCU not happy game could move

TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte isn't happy with the possibility the Mountain West Conference will move the TCU-Boise State football game this fall to the blue turf in Boise.

As reported first by the Idaho Statesman, league commissioner Craig Thompson confirmed the league favors altering the schedule so Boise State can play TCU at home in the only conference game between the schools before the Horned Frogs head to the Big East starting in 2012.

Nothing has been decided, but the issue could come up next week at the league's board meetings in Las Vegas. Del Conte said it came up for discussion in some meetings about two weeks ago.

"It's our home game and they told us it would be our home game and to change the rules midstream is not appropriate," Del Conte told ESPNDallas.com by phone from China, where he's visiting this week. "I'm hoping they do what we originally said, which was that it would be a home game for TCU. To me to change it is not right, but that's been the discussion."

The MWC is in the middle of two BCS-evaluation windows. The first four-year window ends after the 2011 season, and the league gets to count all of TCU's success in that period.

But the second period started in 2010, and the league counts all of Boise State's results in that window. So from a conference standpoint, it's more important that the Broncos perform well to help the conference with possible automatic BCS bids in the future.

Because TCU is leaving the Mountain West, the school does not get a vote when it comes to whether the game is moved. Del Conte believes that because Boise State was inserted on the schedule to replace Utah, which departed to the Pac-10, TCU should get that home game, as agreed upon.

"We've been a valued member of the conference," Del Conte said. "I don't think just because we're going to the Big East for a different opportunity that we should be treated differently."

Richard Durrett is a reporter and columnist for ESPNDallas.com.

Follow Richard Durrett on Twitter: @espn_durrett

Linkage (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6040989)

Boomer.....
1/21/2011, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't mind them going up there and handing BSU a loss.

badger
1/21/2011, 12:54 PM
This is just the first in a big line of screwjobs we can expect TCU to receive during their final year in the conference before going to the Big East.

I really wish TCU would have stayed and pushed the Big East out of the BCS and the MWC in. I also wish BYU would have stayed aboard with Utah staying too. The MWC was really starting to turn into something of note while other has-beens (Big East, and to a degree, the ACC) have been mostly crap.

Alas, a mid-major doomed to stay a mid-major.

sooner518
1/21/2011, 12:56 PM
kinda funny how deliberately the MWC is flipping TCU off. pretty bush league move if you ask me

Jacie
1/21/2011, 01:09 PM
They should've checked with Bo Pelini first. He'd have told them what happens when you leave your conference . . .

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2011, 01:41 PM
TCU shoud dress out as a home game. They might get a flag, but it will make a good statement.

oudavid1
1/21/2011, 01:56 PM
They brought it on themselves.

usaosooner
1/21/2011, 02:12 PM
Gotta bite the bullet sometimes TCU..

badger
1/21/2011, 03:07 PM
TCU could have owned the MWC much like Texas allegedly owns the Big 12. They left, so hell hath no fury.

rekamrettuB
1/21/2011, 05:03 PM
TCU is getting the reverse Nebraska treatment from the Big X XI XII. Their first year schedule is brutal.

Sooner Cal
1/21/2011, 05:07 PM
Come on guys, dump your girlfriend and see if her family invites you over for dinner. TCU knew that this would happen. The conference will take care of the new guy before they take care of the one who is leaving. Nothing wrong with doing it that way. The Big XII didn't show NU any love this year.

sperry
1/21/2011, 05:07 PM
The funny thing is, the Mountain West would have been a pretty sick conference if they added Boise and kept everyone. Definitely better than the ACC or Big East. Instead every one of them moved, and they're all worse off for it.

85sooners
1/21/2011, 05:17 PM
:D :texan:

Eielson
1/21/2011, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't mind them going up there and handing BSU a loss.

Too bad that's not likely to happen.

rekamrettuB
1/22/2011, 10:40 AM
The funny thing is, the Mountain West would have been a pretty sick conference if they added Boise and kept everyone. Definitely better than the ACC or Big East. Instead every one of them moved, and they're all worse off for it.

Ya...Boise is now in a worse conference than they were.

yermom
1/22/2011, 11:44 AM
yeah, the MWC went from likely being in the BCS soon to ****e.

the silver lining in this is that TCU will have the chance to beat Boise AT Boise :D

why did they sign on for this lame-duck season in the first place?

starrca23
1/22/2011, 12:33 PM
I don't think the MWC is trying to hack TCU off as much as they are trying to kiss Bronco Butt. If the Broncos were so tough they could play in Tejas instead of Idaho...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/22/2011, 01:46 PM
woops. see below

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/22/2011, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't mind them going up there and handing BSU a loss.I wouldn't mind them going up there and getting homered by the blue field, with BSU scoring on three or more pass plays to wide open receivers that got lost in the color match of the field and the BSU home field blue unis. It would be a nice sendoff for TCU.

go4eight
1/22/2011, 03:44 PM
TCU wants to play with the Big Dogs,then get off the porch!!!!!!!!!!Go Sooners!!!!!

northspeter
1/22/2011, 04:11 PM
why just Boise??? since TCU is leaving the whole conference... the MWC should make them play every conference game on the road... that's only fair...

Big D Sooner
1/22/2011, 10:41 PM
So TCU would have been off-season champs too!

TCU could have owned the MWC much like Texas allegedly owns the Big 12. They left, so hell hath no fury.