PDA

View Full Version : ESPiN - Mike Leach Plans To Appeal

oudavid1
1/21/2011, 12:36 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2d7as0l.jpg

Linkage (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6044702)

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2011, 12:53 PM
If this keeps on going and we're not going to have to talk a bunch of Sooner fans in here off the ledge.

badger
1/21/2011, 12:55 PM
As much as I want Leach to be successful in these lawsuits, I'd much rather have Leach back coaching.

SoonerStormchaser
1/21/2011, 12:58 PM
I'm just shocked that Craig James wasn't taken off the field in a bodybag this past season...

oudavid1
1/21/2011, 01:57 PM
As much as I want Leach to be successful in these lawsuits, I'd much rather have Leach back coaching.

It may shock you all, but i agree with this.

Sarcasm.

Great post Mrs. Badger.

Breadburner
1/21/2011, 03:03 PM
If this keeps on going and we're not going to have to talk a bunch of Sooner fans in here off the ledge.

Well...Dont listen and go ahead and jump....

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2011, 04:08 PM
Well...Dont listen and go ahead and jump....

:rolleyes:

salth2o
1/21/2011, 05:31 PM

If the head Pirate is successful in this lawsuit, he may take his booty and never leave The Keys.

Sooner_Tuf
1/21/2011, 05:55 PM

What does thing mean? If it ends we are going to have a bunch of Sooner Fans on a ledge? :confused:

Soonerfan88
1/21/2011, 06:51 PM
I still don't understand Sovereign Immunity for a contract. Other issues, yes but not a legal, binding contract. Why would anyone ever sign a contract if they know that the other party can violate it at any time and you have no recourse for remuneration?

According to this, Leach can go forward with the lawsuit and prove beyond any legal doubt that Texas Tech had no grounds to fire him according to his contract but Tech still wouldn't have to pay him a dime. Texas arrogance at it's finest.

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2011, 07:51 PM
I still don't understand Sovereign Immunity for a contract. Other issues, yes but not a legal, binding contract. Why would anyone ever sign a contract if they know that the other party can violate it at any time and you have no recourse for remuneration?

Is Leach just seeking the amount he is owed? If not, could that have something to do with it?

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2011, 02:26 PM

According to this, Leach can go forward with the lawsuit and prove beyond any legal doubt that Texas Tech had no grounds to fire him according to his contract but Tech still wouldn't have to pay him a dime. Texas arrogance at it's finest.

This may surprise you, but the primary case dealing with sovereign immunity was a contract case. If you want to understand the reasoning, it's Hans v. Louisiana.

I can think of a few reasons why you'd want a contract even though it's not judicially enforceable against one party.

First, if the other party sues for breach, it's good to have a memoranda of what your performance as actually to be.

Second, if you're negotiating for financing, it's proof that you have actually been awarded a bid (or whatever).

Third, there's a general presumption that the government does honor their contracts.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2011, 02:28 PM
Is Leach just seeking the amount he is owed? If not, could that have something to do with it?

No. "It is inherent in the nature of sovereignty not to be amenable to the suit of an individual without its consent"-The Federalist No. 82 (Hamilton).

You can't sue a state unless they agree to it or SI has been abrogated by Congress.

ictsooner7
1/22/2011, 04:29 PM
Former football star and ESPN analyst Craig James is strongly considering a bid for Kay Bailey Hutchison’s Senate seat.

News 8 talked to James who confirmed he is interested in getting involved in Republican Party politics, and he’s not ruling out a run for office.

James said in addition to his role as a college football analyst, he’s also been in business as a real estate broker and investor. He calls himself a conservative and very concerned about government intervention in business and health care.

James has been making the rounds meeting prominent Texas Republicans and donors raising his political profile, and he said he would not rule out running for the Hutchison seat. “I’m a Texan. I’m concerned for our country,” he said. “I disagree with the approach that we’re having, things that are taking place, and so whatever door opens up, I’ll look at it, if and when it opens up.”

James realizes his role in the controversy involving his son that led to the firing of Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach could affect him politically.
“Any mom or dad who knew what we knew at the time that we knew it would’ve taken the same action that we did,” he said. “Whatever the consequences are, we didn’t care about that. We cared about doing what was right and protecting and taking care of our son.”

His central message as a candidate for any office would be, “Why does the government have to be involved in everything we do?”

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 05:32 PM
Former football star and ESPN analyst Craig James is strongly considering a bid for Kay Bailey Hutchison’s Senate seat.

News 8 talked to James who confirmed he is interested in getting involved in Republican Party politics, and he’s not ruling out a run for office.

James said in addition to his role as a college football analyst, he’s also been in business as a real estate broker and investor. He calls himself a conservative and very concerned about government intervention in business and health care.

James has been making the rounds meeting prominent Texas Republicans and donors raising his political profile, and he said he would not rule out running for the Hutchison seat. “I’m a Texan. I’m concerned for our country,” he said. “I disagree with the approach that we’re having, things that are taking place, and so whatever door opens up, I’ll look at it, if and when it opens up.”

James realizes his role in the controversy involving his son that led to the firing of Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach could affect him politically.
“Any mom or dad who knew what we knew at the time that we knew it would’ve taken the same action that we did,” he said. “Whatever the consequences are, we didn’t care about that. We cared about doing what was right and protecting and taking care of our son.”

His central message as a candidate for any office would be, “Why does the government have to be involved in everything we do?”

:gary:

Leroy Lizard
1/22/2011, 07:05 PM
Horn fans are discussing the case. The lack of love for Leach is quite apparent.

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6327442&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all

Sooner Cal
1/23/2011, 10:50 AM
So any government entity in Texas can fire a government employee for any reason and not be subject to monetary damages. That will be a great way to get rid of all those public employee retirement and health benefits. Just fire them all now because you don't need cause. Fire them because you just don't want to pay them. One group that needs to be fired are the judges. I love the ruling, now use it to get rid of all state employees.

King Barry's Back
1/23/2011, 01:36 PM

I don't understand why anyone thinks this policy is good for the State of Texas.

You are saying to anybody that the state would hire, "Here's all the things I am promising, but they are not legally binding, so come if you want!"

Maybe that's fine for most jobs, but for hiring coaches and top administrators, research scientists, etc -- this could make it far more difficult to bring in people they want.

But I guess it hasn't been a burden so far, so why worry? Especially about the State of Texas.

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2011, 01:40 PM
Sovereign immunity isn't just a Texas thang. Any research scientist refusing to transplant to Texas will probably face the same issue wherever he goes.

SC Sooner
1/24/2011, 09:11 AM
He may as well appeal, he's got lots of money, and not much else going on about now.

texaspokieokie
1/24/2011, 09:30 AM
i wanted Leach to win the lawsuit. i think tech screwed him. JMHO

i'd like to see him give it up, now. if he appeals, only the lawyers will win.
again JMHO

i'd like to see him get a job for next season. it's not too late.he is an excellent coach. with a job at someplace other than tech, he might be one
of the best. tech has no tradition & who wants to live in lubbock.

Boomer Mooner
1/24/2011, 10:37 AM
Craig James already has the entitlement mentality required to be a senator. His willingness to slander anyone who get's in his way bode well for him also.

Frozen Sooner
1/24/2011, 03:29 PM
So any government entity in Texas can fire a government employee for any reason and not be subject to monetary damages.

No. A firing in violation of civil rights legislation gives rise to a cause of action to which sovereign immunity is no defense.

hvhurricane
1/24/2011, 11:09 PM
I said on the other board that Leach wouldn't receive a dime a long time ago.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2011, 11:24 PM
Craig James already has the entitlement mentality required to be a senator. His willingness to slander anyone who get's in his way bode well for him also.

I think Craig James actually thinks that Leach mistreated his son. He may or may not have handled the situation properly, but it's a bit much to accuse him of slander.