PDA

View Full Version : Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse

Ike
1/21/2011, 10:12 AM
Suhweeeeeet.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/tatooines-twin-suns-coming-to-a-planet-near-you-just-as-soon-as-betelgeuse-explodes/story-fn5fsgyc-1225991009247

T'S the ultimate experience for Star Wars fans - staring forlornly off into the distance as twin suns sink into the horizon.

Yet it's not just a figment of George Lucas's imagination - twin suns are real. And here's the big news - they could be coming to Earth.

Yes, any day now we see a second sun light up the sky, if only for a matter of weeks.

The infamous red super-giant star in Orion’s nebula - Betelgeuse - is predicted to go gangbusters and the impending super-nova may reach Earth before 2012, and when it does, all of our wildest Star Wars dreams will come true.

The second biggest star in the universe is losing mass, a typical indication that a gravitation collapse is occurring.

When that happens, we'll get our second sun, according to Dr Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Southern Queensland.

“This old star is running out of fuel in its centre”, Dr Carter said.

“This fuel keeps Betelgeuse shining and supported. When this fuel runs out the star will literally collapse in upon itself and it will do so very quickly.”

When this happens a giant explosion will occur, tens of millions of times brighter than the sun.

The bad news is, it could also happen in a million years. But who's counting?

The important thing is, one day, night will become day for several weeks on Earth.

“This is the final hurrah for the star,” says Dr Carter.

“It goes bang, it explodes, it lights up - we’ll have incredible brightness for a brief period of time for a couple of weeks and then over the coming months it begins to fade and then eventually it will be very hard to see at all.”

The interwebs is being flooded with doomsday theories saying the impending supernova confirms the Mayan calendar’s prediction of the Armageddon in 2012.

These conspiracies aren’t helped by the word “Betelgeuse” being associated with the devil.

Though it is a derivation of the Arabic phrase “yad Al Jauza” meaning the “hand of Al-Jauza” referring to a mysterious woman that controls the order of the universe, it hasn’t stopped some people from clearing out their bunkers and stocking up on tinned food.

Far from being a sign of the apocalypse, according to Dr Carter the supernova will provide Earth with elements necessary for survival and continuity.

“When a star goes bang, the first we will observe of it is a rain of tiny particles called nuetrinos,” says Dr Carter.

“They will flood through the Earth and bizarrely enough, even though the supernova we see visually will light up the night sky, 99 per cent of the energy in the supernova is released in these particles that will come through our bodies and through the Earth with absolutely no harm whatsoever.”

Stars such as the supernova produce elements that are critical to life on Earth.

Quite literally, the whole of Earth and our solar system is made of star stuff, including most of the heavy elements of the Periodic Table.

“It literally makes things like gold, silver - all the heavy elements - even things like uranium….a star like Betelgeuse is instantly forming for us all sorts of heavy elements and atoms that our own Earth and our own bodies have from long past supernovi,” Dr carter said.

Some experts have speculated Betelgeuse’s explosion may cause a neutron star or result in the formation of a black hole approximately 1300 light years from Earth, but Dr Carter says it could go either way.

“There’s a reasonably even chance of a neutron star or a black hole”, he says.

“If it were me, I’d suspect it would more likely become a black hole at 20 solar masses.”

The
1/21/2011, 10:14 AM
2012??
http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/shocked-woman_%7EAA039975.jpg

Ike
1/21/2011, 10:15 AM
Thats right. Better hide Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru...And probably your kids and wife.

The
1/21/2011, 10:18 AM
Thats right. Better hide Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru...And probably your kids and wife.

http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2010/08/antoine_dodson.large1.jpg

OhU1
1/21/2011, 10:22 AM
This is really old news. Betelgeuse went supernova about 600 years ago. ;)

Mixer!
1/21/2011, 10:46 AM
1. Haven't seen the phrase "star stuff" since Carl Sagan assumed room temperature.

2. I can just see Ahd-mod-jihad sitting in Tehran, asking his scientists if they've found any new uranium deposits yet.

My Opinion Matters
1/21/2011, 10:54 AM
Even if Betelgeuse went supernova tomorrow, the energy wouldn't reach us for 640 years...right?

Ike
1/21/2011, 11:02 AM
Even if Betelgeuse went supernova tomorrow, the energy wouldn't reach us for 640 years...right?

Yes. But if it went supernova 639 years ago, we wouldn't know about it until next year.

Viking Kitten
1/21/2011, 11:29 AM
If a bigass star goes tits up and turns into a blackhole only 1300 light years from earth, how long til we get sucked in?

Ike
1/21/2011, 11:46 AM
If a bigass star goes tits up and turns into a blackhole only 1300 light years from earth, how long til we get sucked in?

I'd go with never.

NormanPride
1/21/2011, 12:03 PM
You underestimate the power of the dark side, Ike.

Viking Kitten
1/21/2011, 12:05 PM
I'd go with never.

If you're wrong, I'm totally suing you. And you can bet that lawsuit will get stretched out to infinity.

Ike
1/21/2011, 12:19 PM
If you're wrong, I'm totally suing you. And you can bet that lawsuit will get stretched out to infinity.

I'll take that risk.

GDC
1/21/2011, 12:22 PM
cool

OhU1
1/21/2011, 12:24 PM
http://www.nightsky.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/betelgeuse_sun-761608.jpg

Do you see that invisible speck under Antares? That's the Sun. When you consider that 1,000,000 Earths would fit inside the Sun that gives you an idea how incredibly big Betelgeuse is. (Betelgeuse is in turn dwarfed by VY Cannis Majoris).

Partial Qualifier
1/21/2011, 12:26 PM

*I* noticed the pun, VK. ;)

Oldnslo
1/21/2011, 12:37 PM
I think fission between hydrogen makes helium (and this is what our sun is doing). And I think fission between helium makes... oxygen? Carbon? (this is, from my understanding, what red giant suns do) and whatever the next step is makes iron (Blue stars? Rigel? I don't know), but iron is as far as fission goes. So where do the heavier metals come from?

I watch science shows to help me go to sleep. Maybe I should pay more attention.

NormanPride
1/21/2011, 12:42 PM
That's as far as fusion due to the gravitational pull of solar mass goes, but I think when things collapse and explode there's even more energy flying about which causes all the higher elements to fuse.

Not many supernovas have been observed, though, so I don't think we're definite on that. ;)

And I believe fission is when you break apart an atom, and fusion is when you put it together. Right?

Oldnslo
1/21/2011, 12:46 PM
oops. I think you're right. Bachelor of ARTS, here.

Fraggle145
1/21/2011, 12:50 PM
http://static.funnyjunk.com/gifs/1237576337_daffy_jerking_1_.gif

sooner59
1/21/2011, 12:58 PM
I think fission between hydrogen makes helium (and this is what our sun is doing). And I think fission between helium makes... oxygen? Carbon? (this is, from my understanding, what red giant suns do) and whatever the next step is makes iron (Blue stars? Rigel? I don't know), but iron is as far as fission goes. So where do the heavier metals come from?

I watch science shows to help me go to sleep. Maybe I should pay more attention.

Beware of the coming of the Blue Star! - The Hopi Indians

:D

Ike
1/21/2011, 01:14 PM

The fusion (fission is the spontaneous nuclear decay of radioactive isotopes) chain is a little bit more complex than that, but the kindergarten version is (more or less):
H-->He-->C-->N-->O-->Ne-->Si-->Fe
But really, it's much more complicated than that, and dependent on the stars mass. But if a star gets to the point of having an iron core, generally, all of the elements lighter than iron are present in some amount. Some of them stick around longer than others. Some actually fall apart because of the intense heat.

So how do we get heavier elements? About half of them come about through slow neutron capture. What happens is that through some fusion processes, or through the breakdown of nuclei due to heat, there are semi free neutrons drifting around in there. A nucleus absorbs one of these neutrons and becomes an unstable radioactive isotope. It can then decay to a nucleus of an element with equal atomic mass (protons + neutrons) but larger atomic number (just protons).

The other method for producing heavier elements occurs during the explosion of a star, and proceeds similarly to the above, except that you have lots more neutrons around. (it's called rapid neutron capture). This is what typically gives us the heaviest elements, and a lot of our naturally occuring radioactive elements.

Theres another one too that nobody is sure how much of a role it plays, but it basically says that in an explosion, there will probably be lots of free protons around too, and a nucleus could potentially absorb protons directly.

Oldnslo
1/21/2011, 02:11 PM
thanks!

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2011, 02:32 PM
If a bigass star goes tits up and turns into a blackhole only 1300 light years from earth, how long til we get sucked in?June 15th.;)

Mixer!
1/21/2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.nightsky.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/betelgeuse_sun-761608.jpg

Do you see that invisible speck under Antares? That's the Sun. When you consider that 1,000,000 Earths would fit inside the Sun that gives you an idea how incredibly big Betelgeuse is. (Betelgeuse is in turn dwarfed by VY Cannis Majoris).

Hmph, Aldebaran isn't as big as I thought. Odder still that there's no star called The. :D

The
1/21/2011, 02:49 PM
Hmph, Aldebaran isn't as big as I thought. Odder still that there's no star called The. :D

Why the hell do you think they call it "THE" Universe????

2121Sooner
1/21/2011, 02:50 PM
The calls his nuts "Antares and Betelgeuse"

true story

Mixer!
1/21/2011, 02:57 PM
So what does The call his...

nevermind.

2121Sooner
1/21/2011, 02:58 PM

nevermind.

Uranus

Ike
1/21/2011, 02:58 PM

nevermind.

spiral galaxy?

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2011, 03:58 PM
Now, Ike, explain why there is a black ahole in the WhiteHouse?

Ike
1/21/2011, 04:04 PM
Now, Ike, explain why there is a black ahole in the WhiteHouse?

It's what comes after a white (mental) dwarf. :D No use fighting it...just the laws of nature.

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2011, 05:28 PM
touche'

sooner59
1/21/2011, 05:34 PM
Ike, bravo.

Cornfed
1/21/2011, 05:47 PM
I'll bet it took a couple of years and a large tape measure to measure those suckers.

GottaHavePride
1/22/2011, 12:36 AM
The fusion (fission is the spontaneous nuclear decay of radioactive isotopes) chain is a little bit more complex than that, but the kindergarten version is (more or less):
H-->He-->C-->N-->O-->Ne-->Si-->Fe
But really, it's much more complicated than that, and dependent on the stars mass. But if a star gets to the point of having an iron core, generally, all of the elements lighter than iron are present in some amount. Some of them stick around longer than others. Some actually fall apart because of the intense heat.

So how do we get heavier elements? About half of them come about through slow neutron capture. What happens is that through some fusion processes, or through the breakdown of nuclei due to heat, there are semi free neutrons drifting around in there. A nucleus absorbs one of these neutrons and becomes an unstable radioactive isotope. It can then decay to a nucleus of an element with equal atomic mass (protons + neutrons) but larger atomic number (just protons).

The other method for producing heavier elements occurs during the explosion of a star, and proceeds similarly to the above, except that you have lots more neutrons around. (it's called rapid neutron capture). This is what typically gives us the heaviest elements, and a lot of our naturally occuring radioactive elements.

Theres another one too that nobody is sure how much of a role it plays, but it basically says that in an explosion, there will probably be lots of free protons around too, and a nucleus could potentially absorb protons directly.

So what you're essentially saying is "stars are, like, really really hot and stuff, so physics can pretty much get away with anything it wants up in there." ;)

Mixer!
1/22/2011, 09:13 AM
Poppycock and Balderdash! (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-explode-scientists-say/) ;)

Cornfed
1/22/2011, 02:29 PM
Poppycock and Balderdash! (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-explode-scientists-say/) ;)

I always laugh at the speculation and hypothesis that are stated as fact.

Ike
1/22/2011, 05:57 PM
Considering the original article said "It could also take a million years to happen", I don't think the 2012 claim was stated anywhere as fact. Just that it's possible. In astronomical terms, there's not much difference between "tomorrow" and 1 million years in the future.

swardboy
1/22/2011, 08:21 PM
Do>a deer, a female deer; Re> a drop of golden sun......