PDA

View Full Version : What tasks do you do yourself, instead hiring an expert?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/21/2011, 09:33 AM
Who needs to know anything to be an expert?

By Howard Troxler, Times Columnist
In Print: Thursday, January 20, 2011

There's nothing funny about the charge against Luis Munuzuri-Harris — posing as an officer to rape a woman along Bayshore Boulevard in Tampa.

But as usually happens, this guy's stubborn attempt to be his own lawyer turned into a disaster, and that was darkly funny.

What is it about the law especially, and certain other professions, that makes people think they don't need to know anything to do it?

After all, there's no TV show titled, Who Wants to Be a Brain Surgeon?

We do not elect our airline pilots.

Not many people try to be their own high-voltage electrician. (Their own plumber, yes. Which is good for the real plumbers.)

But the law — that's nothin', apparently. You just go in and talk like they do on TV, and outsmart all those lawyers.

I disliked Boston Legal for that reason. Of all courtroom shows, it had the least to do with the actual practice of law. James Spader or Candice Bergen would just waltz in to court and say, "Shouldn't our society's values be so-and-so?" And poor, flummoxed Judge Henry Gibson would agree.

Nuts. Phooey.

In fact, the rules of procedure and evidence in a criminal trial are a thing of beauty. Heck, the rule on "hearsay" alone is a magnificent monster, and I will pay cash money to any nonlawyer who can name all the important exceptions to it. In a courtroom, unlike on television (or in politics), the word "evidence" has an actual meaning.

Some professions are more vulnerable than others.

Singing, for instance. You can spend your whole life learning to be a good classical singer — the technique, the theory of music, the skill.

Or you can sashay into American Idol and impress Randy and the gang, even if you're a bit pitchy.

You know why most restaurants fail? Because they're started by somebody who was told, "You make a good red sauce." Judging from the contestants on Mr. Trump's show, the popular belief seems to be that success in business consists of yelling, ducking responsibility and acting like the biggest jerk. (Again, just like politics.)

You might remember, during the bull market, a rash of commercials in which anybody who knew anything about investing was the butt of the joke. Who needs them? After all, they've only spent a lifetime trying to learn it, and any guy with a computer and a "Day Trading for Dummies" book can do just as well. For some reason this movement lost steam when the market crashed. Go figure.

Likewise, during the height of the real estate boom, the for-sale-by-homeowner movement took off, because what could an agent possibly know? Yet a good Realtor (I said a good one) knows more about how to sell a house than you'll ever know.

The absurd extreme, of course, comes in our politics. It's always amazing how many people choose our leaders based on whether he or she is "a regular guy" or "somebody I can relate to" or because "she's just like me."

Good grief! I am an ignoramus about most things, most of the time. I don't want somebody "just like me" to be my surgeon, my airline pilot or even my plumber, let alone the president. I want people who know more than I do.

You know. The "elites."

Anyway, look, I gotta go now. Some guy with a blog is going to explain to me why I'm doing such a lousy job.

Copyright 2011 St. Petersburg Times

The
1/21/2011, 09:58 AM
Cult of the Expert

Our society loves experts.
We love investing experts, real estate gurus, all-knowing professors, benevolent leaders and kung-fu masters. We like to think there are people out there, such as the Professor on Gilligan’s island, who can take our problem and devise a masterful solution. Almost every story in our culture glorifies this concept.
Jack Baur on 24 is pretty well super-human. Why he isn’t running the world from a mountain lair is beyond me. Maybe because everyone else on the show is super-human too. Each crew member on each of the starship enterprises routinely performs miracles. It seems to be part of the recruiting requirements at starfleet academy. All the way back to Odysseus we like to read / hear about people who are pretty darn remarkable.
In reality, there isn’t a single soldier in the world who is anywhere near Jack’s level. No engineer is anywhere near as good as Scotty or La Forge and most sailors would have a hard time dealing with a single cyclops (let along a bunch of them).
Certain professions tap into this desire to believe in heroes. Lawyers, doctors and real estate agents continually try to convince society that they have abilities and knowledge that are unattainable (and incomprehensible) to us and we need to just turn our lives (and our money) over to them.
Robert Heinlein wrote:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
As Heinlein encourages us, we can defend ourselves in a court of law, help someone who is sick or sell a property ourselves. Of course there would be extreme situations where it would be worth seeking help (performing brain surgery on your wife might not be the best idea, although it might give you a chance to defend yourself in court), but anyone with a brain in their head can (and should) handle routine matters in these areas on their own.
Clearly the reason why these professions want to scare us into putting them up on a pedestal is to ensure their own economic well being. Its bloody hard to create a monopoly on a profession, but a few of them have managed it. As I, and others, have wrote before, no one will care more about your well-being than you, so you owe it to yourself to put the best person on the job (and usually that’ll be you).
Some time ago I pulled some of my thoughts together about real estate agents. An agent showed up and offered to “explain how a buyers agreement benefits the buyer (http://cheapcanuck.wordpress.com/2007/05/18/getting-started-with-investment-real-estate-part-2/#comment-17)“. It is insulting that someone would have the gall to pretend that an legal agreement that binds us to them as an exclusive supplier benefits *US*. Any agent who would try to feed you that bull clearly thinks you’re an idiot (and why do business with someone who has such a low perception of you?).

OhU1
1/21/2011, 10:18 AM

But the law — that's nothin', apparently. You just go in and talk like they do on TV, and outsmart all those lawyers.

I disliked Boston Legal for that reason. Of all courtroom shows, it had the least to do with the actual practice of law. James Spader or Candice Bergen would just waltz in to court and say, "Shouldn't our society's values be so-and-so?" And poor, flummoxed Judge Henry Gibson would agree.

Even the most complex case on Boston Legal went from incident/crime/injury to jury trial in one week. Federal question, Constitional, Executive Branch policy decsions? - all argued and resolved in state court of course!

saucysoonergal
1/21/2011, 10:34 AM
Even the most complex case on Boston Legal went from incident/crime/injury to jury trial in one week. Federal question, Constitional, Executive Branch policy decsions? - all argued and resolved in state court of course!

Sometimes they were in Federal Court. Those were the meanie Judges.

3rdgensooner
1/21/2011, 10:52 AM
Good grief! I am an ignoramus about most things, most of the time. I don't want somebody "just like me" to be my surgeon, my airline pilot or even my plumber, let alone the president. I want people who know more than I do.

You know. The "elites."

Who knew that Joe the Plumber was among the elites?

Viking Kitten
1/21/2011, 10:58 AM
Robert Heinlein wrote:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Do you want those things done, or do you want them done RIGHT? Me, I might accept a less than perfect meal or deal with a leaky diaper on my kid. But I don't particularly want to walk into a poorly designed building or listen to a crappy sonnet. Some things are just better left to professionals.

saucysoonergal
1/21/2011, 11:00 AM
Do you want those things done, or do you want them done RIGHT? Me, I might accept a less than perfect meal or deal with a leaky diaper on my kid. But I don't particularly want to walk into a poorly designed building or listen to a crappy sonnet. Some things are just better left to professionals.

Oh, come on now VK, we know you can do most anything!

texaspokieokie
1/21/2011, 11:05 AM
i've learned about all i need to be a lawyer on the old "perry mason" show.

he always put up such a good "defense" that the guilty parties would confess right there in the court room.

looks pretty simple.

thesnowbishop
1/21/2011, 07:22 PM
I do wonder the annual expenditure for home improvement 3-way switch change-outs. Please, just stop and hire a licensed electrician; though you may be the proud holder of a post graduate degree/degrees in a myriad of fields, you ain't Tesla or Edison my friend.

By all means, just keep on trying, and your wife will eventually call. You will be conveniently absent for the service call.

AlbqSooner
1/21/2011, 08:52 PM

In fact, the rules of procedure and evidence in a criminal trial are a thing of beauty. Heck, the rule on "hearsay" alone is a magnificent monster, and I will pay cash money to any nonlawyer who can name all the important exceptions to it. In a courtroom, unlike on television (or in politics), the word "evidence" has an actual meaning.

Leroid - are ya listening?
For those who fail to understand the gist of this question, go read the tortuous thread on the firing of Mike Leach, in which Leroid demonstrated why paying a lawyer is often a good investment.:D

Turd_Ferguson
1/21/2011, 09:26 PM
There is book smart's and common sense. Sadly, today's generation doesn't have much common sense...