PDA

View Full Version : The Futures so bright....

ruf/nekdad
1/21/2011, 09:33 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Recurring-Offseason-Themes-2011-is-the-Year-of-?urn=ncaaf-308688

Recurring Offseason Themes: Welcome to the Year of the Sooner
By Matt Hinton
What you'll be reading about for the next seven months.

The field was wide open enough before the 2010 season to entice a rogue prognosticator or two to get on the Oklahoma bandwagon as a darkhorse national title pick, which was a little optimistic, as it turns out. If they're willing to hold their ground this year, though, at least they can say they beat the crowd: As soon as the confetti hit the ground on Auburn's unlikely run to the BCS Championship last week, everybody and their mother – and their mother's bookie – started falling all over themselves in the rush to proclaim Oklahoma the preseason No. 1 for 2011. SEC homers aside, the knee-jerk consensus is a clean sweep for the Sooners.

That's in part because the Sooners got the best draft news this side of Stanford when receiver Ryan Broyles and Travis Lewis both elected to return for their senior seasons, with the national championship explicitly in their sights. But Oklahoma easily passes the strictures of the generic Preseason No. 1 Checklist:

• Track record of winning/significantly competing for a national championship in recent memory: Check. The Sooners won the BCS title with four wins over top-10 teams in 2000, and were back in the championship game in 2003, 2004 and 2008. As far as getting there, they've owned the Big 12, with four of the last five and seven of the last 11 conference championships.

• "Momentum" off an impressive bowl win: Check. Oklahoma screwed around a bit but was never seriously threatened in its 48-20 Fiesta Bowl beatdown of the Big East's token BCS lamb, UConn, snapping a five-game BCS losing streak since 2003. The OU offense easily eclipsed 450 yards for the ninth time in 14 games, and the defense held the Husky offense out of the end zone entirely.

• Returning starter at quarterback: Check. Landry Jones returns for his third season as the full-time slinger in OU's up-tempo attack, after launching more passes than any other quarterback in the country as a sophomore, for more yards and more touchdowns than anyone except Hawaii's Bryant Moniz. He could conceivable break Sam Bradford's school record for career passing yards in the first game.

• Resident big-play threat: Check. Jones gets back not only Broyles, a consensus All-American in '10 after hauling in a national-best 131 catches for 1,622 yards, but also sophomore-to-be Kenny Stills, who lived up to the recruiting hype as one of the top freshman threats in the country. Add senior Dejuan Miller, a starter prior to a season-ending knee injury at midseason, and you can go ahead and book another top-five assault through the air.

• "Veteran leadership": Check. In all, the Sooners return 17 of 22 starters from the Fiesta Bowl triumph, including fourth-fifths of the offensive line and six of the front seven on defense, and not including a handful of other regulars and sometime-starters who have seen the field on a consistent basis. Roughly half the first-teamers in the fall will be in their third year together as starters, looking to cash in on the growing pains of 2009.

Of course, instant injuries to stars Sam Bradford and Jermaine Gresham derailed high hopes for that season, too, and it's not like the Sooners won't be plugging a few holes – four of them, specifically, one for each of the first-team All-Big 12 picks departing Norman this spring. That exodus includes running back DeMarco Murray, who leaves as the school's all-time leading scorer with no remotely proven up-and-comer in his wake, and sack leader Jeremy Beal.

Compared to the issues facing the other viable contenders – Oregon loses almost everyone on both lines, Stanford loses Jim Harbaugh, Ohio State loses the core of its offense for almost half the regular season, Auburn loses everyone, LSU is still quarterbacked by Jordan Jefferson, etc. – maybe Roy Finch and Jermie Calhoun give Oklahoma a better chance of replacing Murray's underrated production than, say, Alabama does of compensating for the exit of its leading passer, rusher, receiver and pass rusher in one fell swoop. At any rate, you know the drill: Let the year of the Sooner begin.

- - -

MojoRisen
1/21/2011, 09:43 AM
BOOMER! We need to come out hungry and kill everyone scoring 45 plus every game with a top 15 defense.

BoomerJ
1/21/2011, 10:02 AM
Who's not pumped after that.

KantoSooner
1/21/2011, 10:26 AM
You got that exactly right, Mojo. OU has the personnel, the preseason ranking, the schedule, the stable coaching situation, yadda, yadda, yadda. The path is clear and plain; it's up to the coachs and players to decide if they are going to seize the opportunity.
The next eight months are going to be very difficult to take.

jumperstop
1/21/2011, 10:34 AM
I hate the pressure the preseason #1 ranking will bring. Especially knowing how many teams have gone begining to end number 1. I'm excited, but hope that all this won't sit in their heads for 7 months and distract them.

Sooner in Tampa
1/21/2011, 11:08 AM
We are NOT good front runners

bmjlr
1/21/2011, 11:08 AM
Who's not pumped after that.

I pooped myself. :O

oudavid1
1/21/2011, 12:08 PM
I guess i should make another video?

ouwasp
1/21/2011, 01:51 PM
Hmmm... how to say it...

When the OU defense is on the field, I'd so like to have the "We're gonna kick their ***" feeling. :cool:

Lately, I've had the "Wonder what's gonna happen this time?" :O

Until and unless the Sooners field a kick-a$$ defense, the MNC will remain tantalyzingly out of reach, imho...

So will the D grow some real fangs this off-season? Claws too?

That's the real question leading into 2011...

Cornfed
1/21/2011, 02:03 PM
So will the D grow some real fangs this off-season? Claws too?

That's the real question leading into 2011...

I agree, until we get a defence that dominates a team and makes them cry for their mother we will be 2nd fiddle.

sperry
1/21/2011, 02:22 PM
I agree, until we get a defence that dominates a team and makes them cry for their mother we will be 2nd fiddle.

It's gonna hurt without a dominant DT in the middle. Gonna need Lewis and Alexander to really wreak havoc on the outside. Without a great D-line, it's hard to dominate on defense.

MyT Oklahoma
1/21/2011, 08:30 PM
We are what we are. I for one look forward to next fall.

tcrb
1/21/2011, 09:24 PM
Bright indeed.

BigTip
1/21/2011, 10:34 PM
DAY yum! That be some fine readin'!

Come on gloomy gusses, sure stuff happens to screw it up, but enjoy the possibilities now. These are some great possibilities!

Sure, we crow about ourselves all the time. But when most of the national press is doing the same thing, that makes parts of a man tingle like they shouldn't for such things!

And to MojoRisen...........

...SOONER!

SoonerOX
1/21/2011, 10:43 PM
Aw the offseason sucks! Fun read!

BoulderSooner79
1/21/2011, 10:55 PM
I'm surprised the author didn't mention the change at OC. I feel as good about Josh as most of us, but he is still unproven.

kevpks
1/22/2011, 12:05 AM
Wire to wire #1. Let's do it.

bixby28
1/22/2011, 12:17 AM
It's gonna hurt without a dominant DT in the middle. Gonna need Lewis and Alexander to really wreak havoc on the outside. Without a great D-line, it's hard to dominate on defense.

Bullseye. I'm glad D. Noble is coming back at DT and the defense needs some of the young defensive ends to step up and shine this season.

SoonerNate
1/22/2011, 01:35 AM
After reading that I am ready to run through a wall.

ruf/nekdad
1/24/2011, 09:30 PM
I suppose bumping your own thread is poor form, so I won't do it.

delhalew
1/24/2011, 09:39 PM
That got me way too excited for such a long wait. DAMN YOU! I WANT COLLEGE FOOTBALL YEAR ROUND! Who says these kids need an education...or a life?

BoulderSooner79
1/24/2011, 09:44 PM

You're exhibiting tremendous restraint.

ruf/nekdad
1/28/2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you..yes, yes I am.

Blue
1/29/2011, 01:39 AM
Oklahoma! **** Yeah!

the_edge
1/29/2011, 05:27 AM

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/renandstimpy/images/d/df/Mr._Horse.jpg

oubose
1/29/2011, 09:14 PM
That's why we are SOONERS!

MyT Oklahoma
1/30/2011, 08:29 PM
We (OU) are the best of the best of the best.