PDA

View Full Version : 1983 National Championship

SteelClip49
1/21/2011, 12:51 AM
What do a lot of you remember when TEXAS lost their opportunity by losing to UGA in the Cotton Bowl, 10-9?

Of course Nebraska went for the win and lost to Miami so OU's 2 main rivals, Nebraska and Texas both lost the 1983 national title. I bet OU fans were rather ecstatic!

ouwasp
1/21/2011, 01:35 AM
I remember tex having a critical fumble late in the the game on a punt return...

as for Neb, I kinda wanted them to win...

yermom
1/21/2011, 01:39 AM
i didn't know anything about it then, but i'd much rather Nebraska had won than start the Miami juggernaut then

not to mention Schnellenberger...

MeMyself&Me
1/21/2011, 09:15 AM
I was too young to care at the time. But I can tell you that just a few years later I would have been routing for Nebraska against any team not named Oklahoma. I don't think I would have been ecstatic about the Nebbish loss but would have been very happy about the Texas loss.

texaspokieokie
1/21/2011, 09:22 AM
i remember seeing the tejas fumble & i'm sure it made me incredibly happy !!!
would have MUCH preferred seeing NE over Miami.

Mississippi Sooner
1/21/2011, 09:25 AM
i didn't know anything about it then, but i'd much rather Nebraska had won than start the Miami juggernaut then

not to mention that old drunk...

I was absolutely rooting for Miami in that game. They were the ultimate underdog story at that time, and I had no clue how much I'd wind up despising the program a few years later.

And yeah, there was the old drunk. It was because of what he did at Miami that I thought he'd do great things for the Sooners. What we didn't realize, in hindsight, was that Miami didn't have a storied tradition for him to tear down and crap all over.

texaspokieokie
1/21/2011, 09:27 AM
he started the miami tradition.

he didn't hurt OU that badly, being there only one year.

Soonersince57
1/21/2011, 09:40 AM
I still remember the Texas fumble. Made me giggle.

Sooners78
1/21/2011, 10:33 AM
Definitely for nebraska. That was the first of ThugU's national championships that they had the great fortune of playing for on their home field.

Fraggle145
1/21/2011, 11:26 AM
If you ask any UGA fan worth their salt what time it is in texas they always say "10 to 9." :D

']['(())(())]]_
1/21/2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sE9Ddr7VJU

Cornfed
1/21/2011, 01:54 PM
I remember both games and was happy early in the day and was p'oed at the end of the orange bowl.

MyT Oklahoma
1/21/2011, 01:55 PM
I was glad * lost but sad that the Bugeater's lost. That was even before I learned to loath The U.

Sabanball
1/21/2011, 07:40 PM
I remember it well. A major choke job by Fred Akers, as he was known for in bowl games as I recall.

It pains me to say this as a Bama fan, but IMO Auburn should have been awarded the NC that season, and probably would have had the BCS system that we have now been in place. They were the highest ranked team to win their bowl game. While Miami was beating Nebraska that night, a 10-1 3rd ranked Auburn team was eeking by but beating Michigan in the sugar bowl, 9-7.

BTW, Auburn's only loss that season was to Texas but it was early in the season.

BoulderSooner79
1/21/2011, 11:07 PM
The horns were dominating UGA in every way but the scoreboard. Then they got the muffed punt, but it still looked pretty hopeless. But I love it when coaches save a special play for the one occasion when there really need it. The UGA QB had been feeding the tailback on a stretch play all game and it appeared they tried it again and the horns stuffed it again - but this time the QB did the option read thing and kept it for a good gain outside and it led to the go ahead score. Pure poetry.

SteelClip49
1/22/2011, 12:33 AM
I remember it well. A major choke job by Fred Akers, as he was known for in bowl games as I recall.

It pains me to say this as a Bama fan, but IMO Auburn should have been awarded the NC that season, and probably would have had the BCS system that we have now been in place. They were the highest ranked team to win their bowl game. While Miami was beating Nebraska that night, a 10-1 3rd ranked Auburn team was eeking by but beating Michigan in the sugar bowl, 9-7.

BTW, Auburn's only loss that season was to Texas but it was early in the season.

From what I heard, Auburn had an opportunity to play Nebraska but declined as did many others because of how good Nebraska was so #5 Miami stepped up and won.

SoonerKnight
1/22/2011, 01:18 AM
he started the miami tradition.

he didn't hurt OU that badly, being there only one year.

That's because a secretary that worked in the athletic department probably since the 50's had the good mind to save the documents he ordered destroyed. Sheesh!!! The guy was a crazy drunk and I remember losing to ISU that year WTF ISU!!!!

Salt City Sooner
1/22/2011, 02:04 AM
That's because a secretary that worked in the athletic department probably since the 50's had the good mind to save the documents he ordered destroyed. Sheesh!!! The guy was a crazy drunk and I remember losing to ISU that year WTF ISU!!!!
We haven't lost to ISU since the Chris Pedersen Bowl of 1990.

You sure YOU'RE not drunk? ;)

agoo758
1/22/2011, 03:05 AM
He said he'd make us forget about Wilkinson and Switzer.

He called the players after the bowl vs. BYU a disgrace.

He believed that his tenure would be worthy of books and movies.

He cut off water and dehydrated players.

He's fat, ugly, and looks like captain kangaroo.

I am not going to lie, I may visit Ft. Lauderdale someday so that if I ever see him on the street, im going to punch him in the jaw. :mad:

Sabanball
1/22/2011, 11:44 AM
From what I heard, Auburn had an opportunity to play Nebraska but declined as did many others because of how good Nebraska was so #5 Miami stepped up and won.

Not true. At that time, the SEC champion was tied into the sugar bowl and the Big 8 winner(Nebraska) was obligated to the Orange Bowl, hence there was no way the two could have played in a bowl that season. Having said that, I truly believe that Nebraska was the best team that year but because of the way the bowls played out I think Auburn should have been awarded the trophy.