PDA

View Full Version : Obama to Super Bowl if Bears Win NFC

oudavid1
1/20/2011, 09:51 PM
President Obama tells reporters that If the Chicago Bears defeat the Green Bay Packers and advance to Super Bowl XLV, 'I'm going, no doubt.' It would be the first time a sitting president attends the game.

WASHINGTON -- If the Chicago Bears win the NFC title and head to the Super Bowl, President Obama is going with them.

Obama, an ardent football fan, made the declaration Wednesday morning as he sat down with Hu Jintao in the Oval Office for talks with the Chinese president.

"If the Bears win, I'm going, no doubt," Obama said.

To get to Super Bowl XLV in Texas, the Bears must beat the Green Bay Packers on Sunday at Soldier Field. Obama is likely to watch the NFC title game in the White House theater.

The Super Bowl has been a big event each year for the Obama White House. For the first two years of his term, he has hosted bipartisan viewing parties, usually inviting lawmakers from the home states of competing teams.

He's also sat for live interviews on the network broadcasting the game -- this year he's set to be grilled by Fox's Bill O'Reilly during the pre-game show.

Should Obama follow through on his pledge, it would mark the first time a sitting president has attended the big game, according to a spokesman for the National Football League.

In 1985, President Reagan did the coin toss for Super Bowl XIX, but from the Oval Office, not Stanford Stadium in California.

Three sitting vice presidents have attended the Super Bowl: Al Gore in 1994, George H.W. Bush in 1982, and Spiro Agnew in 1971.

Before Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005, former presidents Bush and Bill Clinton participated in on-field events to promote tsunami relief efforts. Before Super Bowl XXXVIII a year earlier, Bush handled the coin-toss honors before the game in his hometown of Houston.

Presidents have been more frequent guests at baseball's climactic event; most recently, President George W. Bush threw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 3 of the 2001 World Series in New York's Yankee Stadium.

When the Bears last made the Super Bowl in 2007, Obama could not make the trip to Miami for the game. He was preparing to announce his candidacy for president the following Saturday in Springfield, Ill.

[email protected]

Copyright © 2011, Tribune Interactive

Linkage (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/sc-dc-obama-super-bowl-20110119,0,3443619.story)

Im guessing security is gonna be ahhhhhh!

Soonermagik
1/20/2011, 09:52 PM
He only made that pledge, because he knows the Bears aren't going to win.

Collier11
1/20/2011, 09:56 PM
Just want I want when Im watching the SB, to see his ugly mug every 10 Fn seconds...dont care about politics, dont care if it was GW or Abe Lincoln, I dont want the whole broadcast to be about them

tcrb
1/20/2011, 09:58 PM
obama is a bigger egomaniac and attention whore than tebow.

Always_Sooner
1/20/2011, 10:02 PM
Obama sucks plain and simple. Also, he claims to be a big Steelers fan. Funny how that is probably the only thing him and Rush Limbaugh agree on.

sooner59
1/20/2011, 11:41 PM
This reminds me of the movie...The Sum of All Fears. If the Bears make the Super Bowl, stay away from Jerry World.....and the DFW area in general. I won't even leave OKC. :eek:

sooner59
1/20/2011, 11:43 PM
Obama sucks plain and simple. Also, he claims to be a big Steelers fan. Funny how that is probably the only thing him and Rush Limbaugh agree on.

Did you hear Rush talking about how nobody was translating that Huh guy directly? He said he couldn't understand how anyone could understand that jibber jabber anyway. Said that Huh was probably talking about taking over the US and we didn't even know it. :rolleyes:

:D It was hilarious.

Jason
1/20/2011, 11:45 PM
He may as well attend the game. It's not like he's getting anything done while at the office.

sooner59
1/20/2011, 11:51 PM
He may as well attend the game. It's not like he's getting anything done while at the office.

Well...I heard he gave Queen Elizabeth an iPod. :D

Ardmore_Sooner
1/21/2011, 12:14 AM
Sucks for him, he'll be watching the game on TV. God I hate Chicago.

yankee
1/21/2011, 01:15 AM
Just found another reason to cheer on the Pack...not that I needed one anyway.

Memtig14
1/21/2011, 02:05 AM
Go Packers

sooner518
1/21/2011, 08:41 AM
I guess all of you guys would turn down Super Bowl tickets if your favorite team was playing in it, lest you be labeled an attention-whore......

CBUS_SOONER
1/21/2011, 08:44 AM

^^ this
f the guy

OULenexaman
1/21/2011, 09:47 AM
delete this thread please.....

texaspokieokie
1/21/2011, 09:57 AM
I guess all of you guys would turn down Super Bowl tickets if your favorite team was playing in it, lest you be labeled an attention-whore......

hussein going is a little different from me going. i wouldn't require a 747
or an army of security.

my "free" tickets wouldn't cost the tax payers a small fortune.

i could start about 12 hrs early & walk to the game as i live in south central
irving. i'd leave the 747 in my garage.

i'd probably go if i had free tickets, but it's not a "given".

1st super bowl in LA, lived in sherman oaks (valley) & drove to Palm Springs to watch on tv. blacked-out in la, not a sell-out.

bmjlr
1/21/2011, 10:04 AM
Just want I want when Im watching the SB, to see his ugly mug every 10 Fn seconds...dont care about politics, dont care if it was GW or Abe Lincoln, I dont want the whole broadcast to be about them

+1

virginiasooner
1/21/2011, 12:06 PM
Can this thread be moved to South Oval?

texaspokieokie
1/21/2011, 12:12 PM
Can this thread be moved to South Oval?

i think there's already one like this on SO.

OULenexaman
1/21/2011, 12:33 PM
then delete this POS thread involving a POS POTUS....get off OUr football board.:mad:

oudavid1
1/21/2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah i shoulda taken this to the SO.

agoo758
1/21/2011, 01:47 PM
DUM DUM DA DUM DUM DUM.........................................

GO PACK GO!!!!!

OULenexaman
1/21/2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah i shoulda taken this to the SO.

your in big trouble...in the crosshairs:D

SoonerinSouthlake
1/21/2011, 03:02 PM
This reminds me of the movie...The Sum of All Fears. If the Bears make the Super Bowl, stay away from Jerry World.....and the DFW area in general. I won't even leave OKC. :eek:

...dude....bad karma

SoonerinSouthlake
1/21/2011, 03:04 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSoooooooo safe to say you guys are not registered Democrats?

Mad Dog Madsen
1/21/2011, 03:10 PM
I could care less about Obama...

http://tonygatto.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/obama-texas.jpg

OULenexaman
1/21/2011, 03:23 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSoooooooo safe to say you guys are not registered Democrats?

actually I am....

bonkuba
1/21/2011, 05:39 PM
delete Obama please.....

:D :D

SoonerMom2
1/21/2011, 07:48 PM
Last thing I want to see is any President at the Super Bowl but especially this one. Bad enough they go gaga over him on sports shows -- don't want the Super Bowl ruined. Couldn't believe it when the Bears coach endorsed him which this thread reminded of again. Going to do something I never thought I would do and that is GO PACK! Anything to keep Obama off my TV -- wish I had a switch that when he came on it would automatically switch to an Obama-free channel.

Mazeppa
1/21/2011, 08:14 PM
Last thing I want to see is any President at the Super Bowl but especially this one. Bad enough they go gaga over him on sports shows -- don't want the Super Bowl ruined. Couldn't believe it when the Bears coach endorsed him which this thread reminded of again. Going to do something I never thought I would do and that is GO PACK! Anything to keep Obama off my TV -- wish I had a switch that when he came on it would automatically switch to an Obama-free channel.

You do it's called a remote. :)

SoonerMarkVA
1/21/2011, 08:33 PM
delete this thread please.....

This.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/22/2011, 11:57 AM
Go Packers

Seamus
1/22/2011, 01:50 PM
This thread is a 16-year-old runaway boy from Iowa, cruising the corners of West Hollywood, lamenting that he has been reduced to jumping into limos to blow still-closeted movie studio execs, but he continues to do so because he has no other way to survive.

Put this effing thread out of its soon-to-test-positive misery, please.

sooner59
1/22/2011, 02:21 PM
...dude....bad karma

If anything happened, it would be because of the prices Jerry Jones demands, not because the POTUS is there.

ictsooner7
1/22/2011, 03:39 PM
hussein going is a little different from me going. i wouldn't require a 747
or an army of security.

my "free" tickets wouldn't cost the tax payers a small fortune.

i could start about 12 hrs early & walk to the game as i live in south central
irving. i'd leave the 747 in my garage.

i'd probably go if i had free tickets, but it's not a "given".

1st super bowl in LA, lived in sherman oaks (valley) & drove to Palm Springs to watch on tv. blacked-out in la, not a sell-out.

Why wasn’t it a big deal when bush flew a 747 to texas with all of his security? With all the rightwingnuts and their guns his security should be doubled.

ictsooner7
1/22/2011, 04:08 PM

Rrrriiiigggggghhhhhtttttttt its from where he lived from the time he got out of college to when he went to the senate. If he didn't go the right would claim it proves he really isn't from chicago he's from kenya.

Ruf/Nek7
1/22/2011, 05:37 PM
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! Better avoid the old Library Depository in Dallas:D

KNEE BRACE
1/22/2011, 07:05 PM
some fun racist republican overreaction in this thread

Ruf/Nek7
1/22/2011, 11:03 PM

I don't know what you're talking about??? ;)

CrimsonRez
1/22/2011, 11:33 PM
I'd be willing to bet that 85% of Sooner fans are republicans or lean to the right lol

Curly Bill
1/22/2011, 11:38 PM
I'd be willing to bet that 85% of Sooner fans are republicans or lean to the right lol

That's because Sooner fans are smart. :D

MamaMia
1/23/2011, 03:15 AM
your in big trouble...in the crosshairs:DHes all fired up. Oops. :P

ouduckhunter
1/23/2011, 03:04 PM

ITA! I was gonna cheer for the Bears, but now, I'm not so sure. I don't want to watch non-stop coverage of BO and his entourage. What a huge distraction!

aero
1/23/2011, 03:30 PM
go packers. I could go the rest of my life without seeing or hearing from that clown again.

Soonerson1975
1/23/2011, 03:33 PM
go packers. I could go the rest of my life without seeing or hearing from that clown again.

Obama or Jay Cutler?

SoonerMom2
1/23/2011, 06:33 PM
Obama or Jay Cutler?

Both for me!

SoonerMom2
1/23/2011, 06:41 PM
That's because Sooner fans are smart. :D

You have that right! In the section we sit in and the one next to our seats on the aisles may be more than 85%. In 2004 when I had my Bush/Coburn for Sooners shirt on had a lot of people stopped to ask me where they could get one. We gave a lot away at the Coburn tent to people from Texas who wanted the Sooners for Bush part.

Also noticed the stickers people wear in our area of the stadium were 'mostly' Republican this year -- actually didn't see any Democrat ones. We sit with a lot of Tulsa people who are all Republicans. Even some Democrats I know didn't vote for Obama. Actually a lot of them here in Oklahoma! :)

When I was at a parking garage in Chicago the summer after Obama took office, the valet brought up the fact with my McCain sticker that I was from Red State Oklahoma and thanked us. Kept the stickers on until I replaced it with Fallin and Rubio.

SoonerDood
1/23/2011, 07:14 PM
Curse of Obama strikes again: First governors and congressmen, now Vick + Bears.

smooth3d
1/23/2011, 07:59 PM
Well put me as one sooner fan that goes to the the left, go Obama!!!

Jacie
1/23/2011, 08:20 PM
Guess he's not going . . .

AlbqSooner
1/23/2011, 08:23 PM
Da Bears - saved the American taxpayer a load of $$$$

devOUt
1/23/2011, 08:26 PM

I'd be willing to bet that 85% of the Sooner players are not republican.

85sooners
1/23/2011, 10:28 PM
boooo

ouduckhunter
1/23/2011, 10:32 PM

Millions if not Billions!!

Sooners78
1/24/2011, 12:30 PM
Thank you bears. Now we don't have to look at his big-eared ugly mug all night.

badger
1/24/2011, 12:38 PM
Bears still had a very successful season. After bringing in yet another weapon on defense in Julius Peppers while ignoring the craptacular offense yet again, da Bears overcame all odds that could possibly be placed against them in a four-team division to be declared the best of four teams during the first 17 weeks of the season: NFC North Champions.

Then, after a week to rest and prepare, were able to showcase their talents on their home turf in the second round of the playoffs against a most worthy opponent: A team with a losing record. Yes, they beat the Saints the week before, but add one win to a 7-9 season and you're still only at 8-9.

Finally, a chance to beat the team that they could have kept out of the playoffs to begin with if they had only won in Week 17. Alas, the NFC North Champions could not become the NFC Champions.

Now, for any remaining Bears fans out there, please play this video twice in honor of the two touchdowns you scored against us during your last two meetings with us this season:

SG8OpQyY6TI

Bear down! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(yes, I know this is silly of me, but we haven't been to the Super Bowl since 97)

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2011, 12:52 PM
I'm glad for the Packers' sake that they didn't lose to Mr Hainey of Bugtussle, as much as they tried.

pb4ou
1/24/2011, 12:53 PM
This may be a more appropriate Fight Song, heh

B0tssFp9CWU

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2011, 01:17 PM

really...?...wow...just cause we don't like the guys views and ideas...we are racist because he is half WHITE....LOL...

I'd vote for JC in a heartbeat...NOT because he is a former OU player...or because he is black...or because I am NOT racist...I'd vote for him because he knows his head from his a**....

just sayin...

there is prob one group that voted for him more because of his skin color than anything else..and it isn't the "whites"...racist can be positive or negative...IMHO...and yes I'm a Republican public educator...

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 01:27 PM
There are some that think if you dont get down on your knees to blow Obama and think the world of every idea that comes from his mouth, you are a racist.

No, I just dont like like Obama.

badger
1/24/2011, 01:35 PM
I am a packerist. And I thought the holes in some of the packer helmets made em look like cheese helmets, so I love my team even more now.

agoo758
1/24/2011, 01:37 PM
I am a packerist. And I thought the holes in some of the packer helmets made em look like cheese helmets, so I love my team even more now.

A packerist? I thought we were the cheese nation?:confused:

2121Sooner
1/24/2011, 01:38 PM
Did he just say "God Bless the cheesemakers"?

badger
1/24/2011, 01:40 PM
A packerist? I thought we were the cheese nation?:confused:

I was just being silly since they were talking racist. I am packerist, in that I am 100 percent in favor of everything involving the packers and everyone else is inferior simply by the fact that they are not packers. Even TJ Lang is better than Julius Peppers, the guy he could not block to save his life, by virtue of his packer-ness :P

bent rider
1/24/2011, 07:19 PM
Well...I heard he gave Queen Elizabeth an iPod. :D

I heard he gave the visiting Chinese some pirated DVDs.

SoonerMom2
1/25/2011, 12:07 AM

Never thought of it that way but you are right!

SoonerMom2
1/25/2011, 12:16 AM
There are some that think if you dont get down on your knees to blow Obama and think the world of every idea that comes from his mouth, you are a racist.

No, I just dont like like Obama.

That makes two of us -- I don't care if he is purple -- he is way too far left with his agenda. I didn't like Clinton and he was white -- oh I forgot he was the first black President.

I just don't like liberal Democrats no matter the color of their skin -- their race is irrelevant.

CrimsonRez
1/25/2011, 12:20 AM
STEELERS!!!!!!