PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the LNC

Big D Sooner
1/20/2011, 08:42 PM
Are we ever going to replace the LNC with a basketball arena that doesn't suck? It just doesn't have a big time feel. Of course, if all of the Sooner fans would actually go to the games, maybe it wouldn't be so bad... but I digress. I would like to see an arena that is more vertically oriented with the fans right on top of the court and the student section in the courtside seats. We need a better game experience to sell the recruits.

birddog
1/20/2011, 08:47 PM
i think everyone has pretty much given up at this point. :(

stoopified
1/20/2011, 08:51 PM
Anoyone around here over the age of 40 is unlikely to live to see the LNC replaced.

sooner518
1/21/2011, 08:49 AM
Anoyone around here over the age of 40 is unlikely to live to see the LNC replaced.

so youre saying theres a chance?!?!

(Im 28)

Im guessing it wont be for a long while. They just spent a buttload of money on it a few years back, and its not like we're winning anything anytime soon. which is unfortunate, because the LNC rivals Tulsa's Mabee Center for America's worst basketball venue

...sooner
1/21/2011, 09:25 AM
the LNC sucks. when im watching other teams play i envy their arena.

oumartin
1/21/2011, 09:25 AM
Just move games to the local Y and they could fill it up.

Sooner_Bob
1/21/2011, 09:29 AM
Tulsa Union's UMAC is nicer than the LNC.

87sooner
1/21/2011, 09:35 AM
the LNC sucks. when im watching other teams play i envy their arena.

when i watch other teams play....i envy their team...and their coach....

Mixer!
1/21/2011, 10:33 AM
Does that include the Booneplex?

jumperstop
1/21/2011, 10:47 AM
Does that include the Booneplex?

Say what you want, but that place is really nice. Went up there for my gf graduation and I was jealous that the LNC wasn't near as nice. The only thing that was strange to me was the parking lots around the GIA were all gravel unpaved. So on the bright side at least LNC has paved lots. :rolleyes:

GDC
1/21/2011, 12:24 PM

Yes, I vote for a new arena and a new coach.

badger
1/21/2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone ever been to GIA? I imagine that place started off just like our Fieldhouse only to be expanded upward.

I've been where once for a womens bball game. The second-level seats are just above the lower level (yes, almost like our Fieldhouse) and felt very close to the court. They also felt very close to their jealous pep band, whom we out-yelled and out-numbered that game. They played their stupid Ride-Ride song directly at us all game. Our girls beat their girls, like usual. Sherri waved and mouthed "thank you" to us afterward. :)

sooner518
1/21/2011, 01:44 PM
ive been to GIA in 2006 or 2007. its very nice, very steep and felt close to the court, even in the upper deck. its light-years better for basketball than LNC.

Ive also been to Cameron Indoor Stadium a few years back. It looks and feels super old and it feels like a high school gym. It is freakin tiny. the Top of the stands is practically at the roof. i loved it.

id much rather have the fieldhouse than LNC, but its not gonna happen

badger
1/21/2011, 02:48 PM
I love the parity in college basketball, because some D-1 arenas out there on national TV still have windows that blind viewers during afternoon games. WINDOWS?! In a gym?! lol :D

I didn't like GIA because of all the bright orange seating... yet another complaint I have about LNC - bright seats. Boo. Our colors do not involve anything bright, just white (preferably cream)

Crimsontothecore
1/22/2011, 12:11 PM
Seriously, worrying about a new arena considering the state of this program is like worrying about buying new tires for a car with a blown motor.

soonervegas
1/22/2011, 12:56 PM
A few thoughts.....

I have no issues with the LNC. All the sight lines (except behind the boards) are really good.

If people weren't showing up when Kelvin went Final Four and Elite 8 in back to back years no arena will change that. (We have about 9,000-10,000 diehards)

Didn't KU have the windows on their gym back in the day? (They still may) I remember watching plenty of OU at KU afternoon games and being blinded.

SoonerDood
1/22/2011, 01:20 PM
If people weren't showing up when Kelvin went Final Four and Elite 8 in back to back years no arena will change that. (We have about 9,000-10,000 diehards)

THIS

But remember everybody hated Kelvin for winning :rolleyes:

Collier11
1/22/2011, 01:35 PM
why not get rid of the old crap fest field house and build a new field house right on campus...yea, I know it wouldnt have adequate parking but I want to see something right in the middle of campus

Big D Sooner
1/22/2011, 03:11 PM
I wasn't talking about a bigger arena, just a better one. I agree that an on campus arena that keeps with the Cherokee gothic architecture would be awesome.

kelloggOUballa
1/22/2011, 07:46 PM
yea, I know it wouldnt have adequate parking but I want to see something right in the middle of campus

If parking works for football, it could definitely be managed for basketball.

kelloggOUballa
1/22/2011, 07:48 PM
The only thing that was strange to me was the parking lots around the GIA were all gravel unpaved. So on the bright side at least LNC has paved lots. :rolleyes:

This doesn't surprise me, considering people still travel by horse in stoolwater.

King Barry's Back
1/23/2011, 09:52 PM
If parking works for football, it could definitely be managed for basketball.

True dat.

LNC seemed bland and outdated when I was a grad student back in the early 90s.

As far as replacing the current arena--this is a very long-term project. From beginning of conception, through fundraising, construction to opening probably AT LEAST seven years -- probably more like ten years.

Therefore the current "state of the program" is kind of irrelevant to such planning.

If a new arena is needed, then it is needed, regardless of how many games this year's team wins or loses.

That said, I haven't heard a peep out of the OU administration regarding a basketball arena in any long-term plans. And I am over 40, so i guess I am SOL.

85sooners
1/23/2011, 10:34 PM
:gary:

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2011, 11:19 PM
Are we ever going to replace the LNC with a basketball arena that doesn't suck? It just doesn't have a big time feel.

I think it's your team that lacks the big time feel not the LNC. ;)

WildBlueSooner
1/23/2011, 11:51 PM

This year we are like the baylor of basketball ;)

Wait, baylor is still the baylor of basketball

BusterRhymes86
1/24/2011, 12:08 AM

Baylor is being called one of the biggest disappointments in the country this year...so STFU

...sooner
1/24/2011, 12:32 PM

-BOO! :(

Mississippi Sooner
1/24/2011, 02:01 PM
Well, let's just do the math. The men's team played in McCasland Field House until 1975. That's 47 years. They've now played in LNC for 35 years. I guess that puts them on track for a new arena in about 2023.

Flagstaffsooner
1/26/2011, 01:29 PM
Let's no go praising Gilligan-Island Arena too much.:confused:

NMSooner'80
1/26/2011, 02:50 PM
I've been going to OU games since the LNC opened during my senior year of high school. I guess it was more of a novelty to drive down to the stadium from the dorms and "North Greek" than it is now, but we students back then never minded. We also played intramurals at the Field House in my freshman year of '77, and it was a dump by then, already.

I got to see a men's game and a women's game while in Oklahoma last month. Other than the oval shape of the original floor area, which wasn't that big of a deal in the 70's because there were also concerts there, I don't see why people hate the place so much.

Sooner95
1/26/2011, 05:52 PM
Personally, I never liked the place. It lacks that "little extra" when it comes to home games. Floor presence from fans, it looks like a concert arena, not a basketball arena, which I understand.

It's a viscous cycle or choice, either wait for team to improve then maybe build a new one, or build a new one and perhaps that allows us to have better teams. either way, hoops was and probably never will be big enough at OU to draw that kind of money or attention. Football is King in Normantown.

SoonerMom2
1/26/2011, 05:53 PM
They just upgraded LNC a few years back and added practice gyms for boys and girls basketball. Don't know why the naysayers are complaining about LNC because you get a good view from most of the seats. Since some obviously are not a fan of this coach, please stay off the bandwagon when we do better next year. This team doesn't quit and they have gotten better but you would never know it by some of the Sampson folks on here. The same Sampson that got our basketball program on probation and then did the same to Indiana. The same Sampson that played defense only it seemed and how many times did we get knocked out in the first round even though he was here for years?

Not impressed with the naysayers on here and the lame comments about LNC when some haven't been there in a long time it seems since they didn't realize it had been remodeled and a great deal of money spent including having seats closer to the floor.

101sooner
1/26/2011, 07:05 PM
Let's no go praising Gilligan-Island Arena too much.:confused:

This. It's actually just a real tall High School gym with a bunch of wrasslin trophies in the lobby and a painting of Rashaun Woods catching that pass in Norman in 2001 hanging over the back door. Go to Norman High Scholl and look around their court. GIA looks exactly like it, just taller.