PDA

View Full Version : "hand" guns now banned from school....

87sooner
1/20/2011, 11:41 AM
http://newsok.com/mid-del-first-grader-disciplined-for-pointing-finger-like-gun/article/3533754?custom_click=lead_story_photo

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 11:47 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__uBMvSBm4c4/SrtdUg2rmBI/AAAAAAAAAIQ/-AdF1gpHuzI/s400/Hand+Gun+tshirt.jpg

2121Sooner
1/20/2011, 11:54 AM
I blame Sarah Palin

Wishboned
1/20/2011, 12:05 PM
The only school I know of that has a desperate need to implement the no "hand" guns policy is OSU.

MR2-Sooner86
1/20/2011, 12:11 PM
The inmates are running the asylum.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/20/2011, 01:14 PM
Another reason to AVOID public schools. Effed up in my opinion.

OUthunder
1/20/2011, 01:15 PM
I blame Sarah Palin

I'd still do her though.

2121Sooner
1/20/2011, 01:18 PM
I'd still do her though.

But you couldnt do "two in the pink" because it would look like a handgun

OUthunder
1/20/2011, 01:19 PM
But you couldnt do "two in the pink" because it would look like a handgun

I'll do one in her rear then. :D

diegosooner
1/20/2011, 01:22 PM
next thing you know they'll ban that slit-throat gesture used by students toward their teachers.

Midtowner
1/20/2011, 01:32 PM
To be fair this was an administrator punishing a kid who had been repeatedly told not to do something, but kept doing it anyhow. Simple discipline, really.

That said, what that administrator asked the kiddo not to do was weetawded. What in the hell?

But after asking the kid and then pursuing it to show him who was boss, she had sort of backed herself into a corner.

This is more about incompetent administrators who lack the discretion to know when to tell a kid no and when to just let kids be kids. My take is that the kid was making a hand-gun is secondary.

IndySooner
1/20/2011, 01:32 PM
You guys that are appalled by this......

Do you realize how much pressure schools have on them to keep kids safe these days? The threat of lawsuits alone could bankrupt a school system.

Is there a need for a "hand" gun? I know we all did it growing up, but given the day and age we live in, it's probably outlived its day.

Dio
1/20/2011, 01:34 PM
You guys that are appalled by this......

Do you realize how much pressure schools have on them to keep kids safe these days? The threat of lawsuits alone could bankrupt a school system.

Is there a need for a "hand" gun? I know we all did it growing up, but given the day and age we live in, it's probably outlived its day.

Keep them safe from other kids making "pew pew" fingagunz at them?

2121Sooner
1/20/2011, 01:36 PM
So when C&C Dean, The, Ald, Chk, 3G, and me get together to play Cowboys and Indians, it probably isnt kosher anymore?

Oh, I said Kosher. If any Jews are on this site and are offended by this please know that we here at the South Oval are trying to get away from this type of language.

Carry on.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 01:36 PM

Nope. Kids today have moved up to plastic uzis instead . . .

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 01:37 PM
So when C&C Dean, The, Ald, Chk, 3G, and me get together to play Cowboys and Indians, it probably isnt kosher anymore?

Oh, I said Kosher. If any Jews are on this site and are offended by this please know that we here at the South Oval are trying to get away from this type of language.

Carry on.

At least you didn't use blood libel . . .

C&CDean
1/20/2011, 01:46 PM

Carry on.

I heard we were playing doctor.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 01:56 PM

Just as long as you don't play tag you'll be fine.

Midtowner
1/20/2011, 02:26 PM

I went to primary/secondary school in the 80s and 90s. Statistically, school shootings were at a much higher level than they are today. By that, I mean, compared to '92, there are 42 times fewer shootings now than then.

In other words, being afraid of school shootings at this point, particularly where a 7-year-old is concerned is just silly. You are far more likely to be eaten by a shark or struck by lightening or win the power ball jackpot than to be killed by a shooter at school.

yermom
1/20/2011, 02:31 PM
it's just so that he'll know safety for later :eek:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/ad08ff0a71/finger-gun-from-fod-team-uk-and-al_campbell

pphilfran
1/20/2011, 02:37 PM
I went to primary/secondary school in the 80s and 90s. Statistically, school shootings were at a much higher level than they are today. By that, I mean, compared to '92, there are 42 times fewer shootings now than then.

In other words, being afraid of school shootings at this point, particularly where a 7-year-old is concerned is just silly. You are far more likely to be eaten by a shark or struck by lightening or win the power ball jackpot than to be killed by a shooter at school.

Too many people do not understand the impact of the media....

In the good old days you would never hear of a school shooting in a different region...now every one gets days of coverage...

My senior year at Ike (71) we had at least one shooting and several stabbings during school hours...today it would have made national news...

rainiersooner
1/20/2011, 02:46 PM
The only school I know of that has a desperate need to implement the no "hand" guns policy is OSU.

Quote of the day!

yermom
1/20/2011, 02:46 PM
the mother said he's 7 and doesn't know what he's doing.

would she say that if he was flipping the bird? the shocker?

rainiersooner
1/20/2011, 02:48 PM

This ^, combined with the two in the pink comments also above, are making this a very, very disturbing thread.

rainiersooner
1/20/2011, 02:52 PM
In all seriousness, I think people are taking exception because of second amendment rights. But whether it is pointing a "hand gun", flipping the bird, raising your fists, slashing your throat, aggressively cupping your balls, etc., all those are actions and behavior that distract from the learning environment, and imo should be dealt with.

I send my kids to a private school so that I can make the administration more accountable to me as a customer/client, but this would no more be tolerated there than at any public school.

It's not like they called in a swat team and put the school on lock down.

pphilfran
1/20/2011, 02:54 PM

PISTOLS FIRING!

IndySooner
1/20/2011, 02:59 PM

You don't think that the security measures taken have helped those numbers? I do. My dad's middle school has one point of entry and exit. Everyone has to sign in and out. They have ZERO tolerance for fighting and weapons. This is in a town of 6500 people in Iowa.

When I was a sophomore in high school ('93), a kid brought a gun into our drivers' ed class with the intention of shooting a few of my friends. I know a thing or two about these things. Luckily, the teacher, without realizing the gun was cocked and loaded, took the gun away and chilled the situation before most of the class knew what was going on. Unfortunately for me, when he took the gun away, it was aimed either for me or the girl in front of me, on its way around to finding my friends. I won't ever forget that. Of course, that happened in a town of 6500 people, too.

pphilfran
1/20/2011, 03:04 PM
You don't think that the security measures taken have helped those numbers? I do. My dad's middle school has one point of entry and exit. Everyone has to sign in and out. They have ZERO tolerance for fighting and weapons. This is in a town of 6500 people in Iowa.

When I was a sophomore in high school ('93), a kid brought a gun into our drivers' ed class with the intention of shooting a few of my friends. I know a thing or two about these things. Luckily, the teacher, without realizing the gun was cocked and loaded, took the gun away and chilled the situation before most of the class knew what was going on. Unfortunately for me, when he took the gun away, it was aimed either for me or the girl in front of me, on its way around to finding my friends. I won't ever forget that. Of course, that happened in a town of 6500 people, too.

Don't you think that suspending a 7 year old is a bit excessive?

How far should we go to ensure "complete" safety?

IndySooner
1/20/2011, 03:17 PM

Yes, I think it's excessive. I understand why the "hand" gun is against the rules, though. I think people, in general, have migrated away from common sense when handing out punishments. I've told my dad that he's guilty of that in his school. For some reason, he doesn't care what I say, though. :)

pphilfran
1/20/2011, 03:18 PM
Yes, I think it's excessive. I understand why the "hand" gun is against the rules, though. I think people, in general, have migrated away from common sense when handing out punishments. I've told my dad that he's guilty of that in his school. For some reason, he doesn't care what I say, though. :)

:)

sappstuf
1/20/2011, 03:20 PM

I'm working on a bubble wrap/kevlar suit to answer just such a question.

Midtowner
1/20/2011, 03:33 PM
You don't think that the security measures taken have helped those numbers? I do.

Oh sure, no doubt. But are all the windows sealed? I'm guessing not. Are there no doors a gun can't be snuck into? Not even fire exits? Schools can't have airtight security.

At any rate, we're talking about a seven-year-old who pointed his fingers at a wall.

We're talking about an incompetent administrator here. Since we don't fire public employees who deserve it, maybe she should be "promoted" to a position where she can't harm children with her stupidity?

Viking Kitten
1/20/2011, 03:34 PM
You know... my kid has been disciplined for being disruptive once or twice. It's never occurred to me to go whine to the media about it.

OutlandTrophy
1/20/2011, 03:38 PM
the comments on the link are awesome.

Fugue
1/20/2011, 03:41 PM
You know... my kid has been disciplined for being disruptive once or twice. It's never occurred to me to go whine to the media about it.

And I bet you could start some drama. :texan:

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 03:44 PM

He had both hands loaded didn't he . . .

C&CDean
1/20/2011, 03:45 PM

My kids were never disciplined for being disruptive. That's cause they were potheads and were all mellow and ****.

SoCaliSooner
1/20/2011, 03:46 PM
Schools will be better when they ban shiitty education.

Thank God for private school.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 03:50 PM
Schools will be better when they ban shiitty education.

Thank God for private school.

Can't blame all schools for parents lack of involvement or discipline at home.

My wife teaches 1st grade and it isn't her responsibility to teach "your" kid manners . . .

jkjsooner
1/20/2011, 03:55 PM
I don't think this is about guns at all. It sounds like the kid has been disruptive in class for a while and when finally punished for it the mom used the "gun" thing to make it seem like it was about something that it wasn't about.

There are a lot of rules in a classroom and this child wasn't following them. It doesn't how exactly he caused the disruptions.

yermom
1/20/2011, 03:57 PM
it's not like this is some "zero tolerance" thing where he had a butter knife in his bag and has to be expelled or something

he didn't listen after getting in trouble previously.

kids should be held accountable for their actions. it's not like his life was ruined. he was suspended. i'm sure he'll get over it.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 03:59 PM
I don't think this is about guns at all. It sounds like the kid has been disruptive in class for a while and when finally punished for it the mom used the "gun" thing to make it seem like it was about something that it wasn't about.

There are a lot of rules in a classroom and this child wasn't following them. It doesn't how exactly he caused the disruptions.

Yep . . .

Leroy Lizard
1/20/2011, 04:05 PM

Carry on.

That was excellent.

Oldnslo
1/20/2011, 04:12 PM

Carry on.

We have a Jew. Maybe more, if Dean would just own up to it.

rainiersooner
1/20/2011, 04:37 PM
Can't blame all schools for parents lack of involvement or discipline at home.

My wife teaches 1st grade and it isn't her responsibility to teach "your" kid manners . . .

So true. I was listening to some parent complain about their kid getting in trouble at school and her attitude was "between 9 and 3, he's the school's problem." I can guarantee any kid whose parent has that attitude is going to be a kid who causes problems.

Soonrboy
1/20/2011, 06:03 PM
Those who are pissed at the school...what if this were happening at home? What if you had told your kid to quit doing something. They did it again. Maybe you warn them, don't do that again. They look at you and do it.

What do you do?

Remember, the school can't touch your kid. There's no bedroom to send them to, there's no tv to take away, no video games to take away. When it's cold, there's no recess to take away.

What do you do? In school suspension is nothing. He gets removed from the classroom for a day, sits in the principals office to do his work. The principal is in and out, probably no one really keeping the best eye on the kid.

Parents bitch about our kids having any discipline. ****ing do it at home. While you're at it, pray with the little ****s while you have them at home and quit expecting the ****ing school to do it.

rainiersooner
1/20/2011, 06:07 PM
^^^

2121Sooner
1/20/2011, 06:09 PM
Those who are pissed at the school...what if this were happening at home? What if you had told your kid to quit doing something. They did it again. Maybe you warn them, don't do that again. They look at you and do it.

What do you do?

Remember, the school can't touch your kid. There's no bedroom to send them to, there's no tv to take away, no video games to take away. When it's cold, there's no recess to take away.

What do you do? In school suspension is nothing. He gets removed from the classroom for a day, sits in the principals office to do his work. The principal is in and out, probably no one really keeping the best eye on the kid.

Parents bitch about our kids having any discipline. ****ing do it at home. While you're at it, pray with the little ****s while you have them at home and quit expecting the ****ing school to do it.

I would have given him a plastic gun to play with.

I Am Right
1/20/2011, 08:59 PM
http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/shanklin_archives/New%20Age%20Educators.asx

I Am Right
1/20/2011, 09:01 PM
http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/shanklin_archives/OK_to_Spank.asx