PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder what the Founding Fathers were thinking?

prrriiide
1/20/2011, 02:43 AM
Well, now you can see for yourself:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/debcont.asp

Notes on the Debates in the Federal Convention - interesting reading if you have a month of free time.

You can also read the Athenian Constitution, the Code of Hammurabi, the Magna Charta, and the 12 Tables of Rome.

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2011, 03:44 AM
There are a few good books out there that detail the proceedings, debates, and arguments from the Constitutional Convention but there aren't many. I think I've read most of them, but it's surprising how little has really been written. Most of what is known comes from the notes taken by Madison.

I always thought one of the most interesting things about the Convention is the degree to which they tried to keep what they were doing hidden from the existing Congress which itself was not only in session but debating ways to revise the Articles parallel to the Philadelphia Convention.

prrriiide
1/20/2011, 04:15 AM
There are a few good books out there that detail the proceedings, debates, and arguments from the Constitutional Convention but there aren't many. I think I've read most of them, but it's surprising how little has really been written. Most of what is known comes from the notes taken by Madison.

I always thought one of the most interesting things about the Convention is the degree to which they tried to keep what they were doing hidden from the existing Congress which itself was not only in session but debating ways to revise the Articles parallel to the Philadelphia Convention.

Yeah, there are some really good books out there, but I really like this site. It's Madison's notes, verbatim, without editorial or opinion added to them.