PDA

View Full Version : Are replay booths always staffed with homers?

Jacie
1/19/2011, 12:58 PM
Every Sooner knows about the inside job at Eugene and how an Oregon homer was eventually implicated as the person who "botched" the call (though he seemed to have a little help down on the field to be in position to make the call in the first place).

Here is another example of one from 2010 that was wrong and the aftermath.

Three replay-booth staffers, including a BYU employee, were suspended by the Mountain West Conference for botching a replay review that helped BYU defeat San Diego State 24-21 on Oct. 9. Replay clearly showed BYU RB JJ Di Luigi's knees were not on the ground when he lost a fumble that San Diego State recovered. But the replay crew incorrectly ruled that his knees had touched. BYU scored five plays later to take a 24-14 lead into the fourth quarter.

It would seem that if a team has someone in the booth, they might as well call in their team's favor. If found out they will be replaced but the game results will stand. Sacrificial lamb, anyone?

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2011, 01:05 PM
We talked about the BYU game some time ago. My understanding is that they are making changes for the upcoming season on who can review plays.

FTR, the on-field call at Oregon wasn't due to homerism imo.

yermom
1/19/2011, 01:18 PM
in Norman i've heard they are older local refs, which in lots of cases are local as well.

they also are generally not very technical and have IT support from OU to help them run equipment.

SoonerOX
1/19/2011, 01:23 PM
Ideally? No.

Sooner11JK
1/19/2011, 01:39 PM
We talked about the BYU game some time ago. My understanding is that they are making changes for the upcoming season on who can review plays.

No the fumble recovery wasn't perhaps, but the replay on the onside kick, and the tipped pass were clearly tainted in some way. How could someone not come to the conclusion that the pass was tipped? Perfect spiral, then wobbly duck after it passes a defenders outstretched arms. To borrow from the website, BLATANT HOMERISM!

Breadburner
1/19/2011, 02:13 PM
Just sub out all replay to customer service in India.....

OU Engineer
1/19/2011, 03:31 PM
meh

old news

this board is boaring in the offseason.

fadada1
1/19/2011, 03:33 PM

correct. it was because they were dropped on their heads as children.

85sooners
1/19/2011, 03:42 PM
Stop feeding lefag

BoulderSooner79
1/19/2011, 05:37 PM
The replay at UO wasn't a huge mistake by the booth. A mistake yes, but it was close and there was no camera angle straight across the field*. The fumble "recovery" and PI call on a tipped pass were not reviewable at the time. Those were sheer incompetence and that crew gets to live with being the poster children of bad calls - if that make us feel any better.

*why would there not be a camera lined up 10 yards from the kick on all kick-offs just for this reason? Would seem like standard operating procedure.

oubose
1/19/2011, 06:07 PM
to this day I still hate oregon!

agoo758
1/19/2011, 08:34 PM

That just raises the next question: Why in the holy hell did they not see this to be a problem? :mad:

jkjsooner
1/19/2011, 09:25 PM

Incompetence is more like it. I can forgive the touching before 10 yards being missed on the field. The fact that they never even attempted to see who recovered the ball is, well, something beyond incompetence.

SC Sooner
1/20/2011, 08:46 AM
It doesn't matter, FOX now has their own replay ref, travel with them available to critique the process and if necessary results of the review, wait that's the NFL, never mind.

I'm surprised the NCAA doesn't have all the games fed into a giant war room where they can oversee/supervise/watch each replay ref as they determine the call.

Aries
1/20/2011, 09:43 AM
I think the most suspicious thing about the Oregon debacle was the replay official saying he only had one angle to review and couldn't tell for sure, and the tech guy in the truck saying he provided all of the same angles that television viewers saw. Someone would seem to be lying.

And the explanation by the umpire that there was conclusive video evidence that OU touched the ball first, which was impossible since there was conclusive video evidence that we did not.

Other than those two troublesome details, it seems mostly to be incompetence.