PDA

View Full Version : Comcast/NBC Merger Approved

Soonerfan88
1/19/2011, 10:06 AM
I hope Comcast does make a serious effort to develop Versus or another channel to challenge ESPN. Maybe we can finally get back to sports instead of directed opinions and National Enquirer type stories.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/media/watch-out-espn-comcast-forms-formidable-rival-with-nbc-univers/19805893/

Comcast's (CMCSA) takeover of NBC Universal was approved, as expected, by the Federal Communications Commission and U.S. Department of Justice on Tuesday, creating a media and entertainment colossus with a huge footprint in television, movies, the Internet and theme parks. The deal will also create a sports behemoth that could challenge the dominance of Walt Disney's (DIS) ESPN.

Comcast already owns the Golf Channel, which reaches 120 million homes; Versus, which reaches 75 million homes; and 14 local networks that deliver 2,400 sporting events annually to more than 50 million homes with cable and satellite. It also owns the Philadelphia 76ers professional basketball team and the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers, as well as the the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, where the two teams play.

Soonerfan88
1/20/2011, 09:19 AM
OK, I'll shamelessly bump this.

With everyone concerned about ESPN's bias, especially after the * tv announcement, I think having a major competitor like Comcast can only help and hope they get . Looks like the only bias they will have is for Philadelphia. Oh, and that NBC/Notre Dame deal. Still better than ESPN for me though.

IndySooner
1/20/2011, 09:58 AM
ESPN definitely needs a competitor. Comcast has quite a few regional sports channels. Maybe they can step up, but Fox Sports tried to and hasn't really broken through.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/20/2011, 10:03 AM
I agree. It almost makes me want to see Notre Dame succeed to see NBC's ratings go up.

MeMyself&Me
1/20/2011, 10:17 AM
ESPN definitely needs a competitor. Comcast has quite a few regional sports channels. Maybe they can step up, but Fox Sports tried to and hasn't really broken through.

I don't think Fox Sports has a chance of being an 'alternate ESPN' unless 'daddy' Fox starts going after primary coverage contracts like ABC, CBS, and NBC have. I really would like to see that happen. CBS gives national coverage to the SEC every Saturday. NBC gives national coverage to all of Notre Dame home games. And ABC makes everyone else share the rest. Really would like to see Fox take some of what ABC has.

SoonerLB
1/20/2011, 10:44 AM
The thing MOST likely to happen is that Comcast will CHARGE customers more to watch commercials they get PAID to air. Nice gig when you can collect from both ends.

Scott D
1/20/2011, 04:52 PM
I agree. It almost makes me want to see Notre Dame succeed to see NBC's ratings go up.

You'll see Comcast try to get out of the Notre Dame contract within 6 months.

oubose
1/20/2011, 05:13 PM
I watch almost every OU game on FOX north but with neb. leaving the Big 12 now there going to start picking up the big 10 games. I'm taking it from both ends!!!

OhU1
1/20/2011, 05:31 PM
I've grown to detest Eastcoast-SPN. The * deal does not help.

I also have a hard time telling ESPIN radio guys apart - they all sound the same. Same smart aleck rapid paced talk to themselves editorializing (brought to you by the ATT Smartphone blah blah blah). "Here's a call from the 405."

Soonerfan88
1/20/2011, 05:31 PM
When the OU channel was originally talked about, Joe C. said they also wanted to be able to incorporate some online streaming with it. I think this is an excellent idea for those that won't have access through a cable provider. I would much rather pay for an OU streaming channel than what is currently offered through SoonerSports All-Access.