PDA

View Full Version : Netflix...

Turd_Ferguson
1/18/2011, 11:15 PM
sucks donkey ****...every thing I want to watch is dvd only. Ima cancel that ****.

mgsooner
1/19/2011, 12:00 AM
Man, Arby's sounds good right now.

soonerinkaty
1/19/2011, 12:02 AM
It's a lonely night around the far place.

sappstuf
1/19/2011, 11:25 AM
I have about 150 movies in my instant viewing queue and I think their selection is pretty good. If you are only interested in new releases then, yes, you will be disappointed.

Veritas
1/19/2011, 11:54 AM
I have about 150 movies in my instant viewing queue and I think their selection is pretty good. If you are only interested in new releases then, yes, you will be disappointed.
Yeah, same here. There are some great films on instant view. Plus being able to watch on my laptop, iPad and iPod touch...win!

I'm watching the original Inglorious Bastards right now. It's B-movie greatness. And there are bewbies.

NormanPride
1/19/2011, 12:01 PM
Netflix is one of those things that, when it happened, I thought "Now, why hasn't this been done before? This is genius!"

I just wish I had thought of it. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2011, 12:03 PM
Blazing Saddles: Special Edition last night.

Top Secret tonight...

delhalew
1/19/2011, 12:08 PM
I watched the Wild and Wonderful Whites last night. Lol.

sappstuf
1/19/2011, 12:14 PM
Blazing Saddles: Special Edition last night.

Top Secret tonight...

That's pretty good. We watched Let The Right One In the other night with some friends who had never seen it. I watched a couple of episodes of Futurama and I think tonight I may watch Black Dynamite.

96Y24a0cyCE

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2011, 12:16 PM
Black Dynamite is good..

now if they would only get Petey Wheatstraw

sappstuf
1/19/2011, 12:20 PM
Unthinkable with Samuel L... Damn. I forgot about that and I heard it is really good.

That is why queue never seems to go down.

badger
1/19/2011, 03:41 PM
I think NP has our last rental disc in his backpack... are you gonna watch that, or should we go ahead and return it?

OrlandoSooner
1/19/2011, 04:07 PM
It is great for TV series like 24. I never caught the 24 craze, but now can watch an entire season in short order.

I do wish that it would stream in at least 5.1. I think it is currently only stereo with plans to expand first for the PS3.

C&CDean
1/19/2011, 04:26 PM
I've watched one flick on my laptop. The 40-Year Old Virgin. It was a ****ty movie, and an even ****tier way to view a movie. If I'm gonna watch a flick, I want it on the big flat screen in HD with my Bose sound system. So, if I was to ever do Netflix, I'd be getting them in the mail, not on the innerwebs.

My Opinion Matters
1/19/2011, 04:40 PM
You can get the internet at home nowadays.

SoonerJack
1/19/2011, 04:45 PM
It's great for catching up on TV series you may have missed (Arrested Development, Better off Ted).

Saw a pretty good sci-fi flick last night, Serenity.

Sooner_Bob
1/19/2011, 04:55 PM
To each his own . . . I didn't join Netflix for new releases anyway.

It's a great way to watch foreign films for nuthin'.

You IT folks should really watch "The IT Crowd" . . . it's hilarious. Unfortunately I think only seasons 1 and 3 are instantly viewable. Season 2 "expired" at the end of 2010.

OUthunder
1/19/2011, 06:21 PM
Anybody using Netflix and streaming thru a Blu-Ray player with success? Thinking about trying it out but have heard mixed reviews about movie quality and streaming speeds.

OrlandoSooner
1/19/2011, 06:26 PM
Anybody using Netflix and streaming thru a Blu-Ray player with success? Thining about trying it out but have heard mixed reviews about movie quality and streaming speeds.

I use a 360; however, I've read that all Blu-Ray players aren't the same when it comes to Netflix. Specifically, I think the interface is very poor on many players. Inability to search titles, etc.

sooner ngintunr
1/19/2011, 07:18 PM
Anybody using Netflix and streaming thru a Blu-Ray player with success? Thinking about trying it out but have heard mixed reviews about movie quality and streaming speeds.

Works great on my PS3, no problems on my Samsung BD player either. Streaming speeds would depend more on your ISP I would think. I've got cox.

Petro-Sooner
1/19/2011, 07:28 PM
Speaking of netflix..... I was wanting to stream a movie through my mac latop to the samsung bluray/tv but said I had to download some microsoft bluebullet or some software. I'm no computer guru but is it ok it attempt to download?

OUHOMER
1/19/2011, 07:41 PM
http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/432-netflix-is-abandoning-dvds-customers-who-prefer-dvds

When Netflix started up more than 10 years ago, its sales pitch was pretty simple: Hey, subscribe to us, and we'll mail you DVDs that you can then mail back to us without worrying about any late fees. But as the rental market moves toward online and on-demand models, Netflix's iconic red envelopes may eventually become as antiquated as VHS tapes. Beefing up their streaming business, Netflix has predicted that in about two years their economics will be geared more toward their "Watch Instantly" service than through physical discs. For that to happen, Netflix will have to nudge their DVD-loyal customers to the new platform. And on Monday, the company learned just how hard that may be.

In a seemingly innocent 109-word blog post, Netflix director of product management Jamie Odell announced, "We're removing the 'Add to DVD Queue' option from streaming devices," suggesting that it was being done so that the company "can concentrate on offering you the titles that are available to watch instantly." Granted, the Netflix website still allows DVD queue updating, but this post, dropped on the morning of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, created an immediate firestorm of comments -- most of them very, very angry.

Related: Blockbuster among stores that might close in 2011 >>

"Clearly Netflix wants to send less discs through the mail, and therefore wants to make it more difficult for the user to add to their queue in furtherance of that," wrote "Eldendor." "Horrible idea!" wrote "usrbingeek." "Especially when there are still few titles available for streaming and the titles that you do have, seem to have very narrow license windows." On and on came the complaints, with most responders saying essentially (1) I like having access to DVDs even if I use a PS3 or mobile phone to stream movies on Netflix; and (2) there aren't enough good titles available on "Watch Instantly." "I think this is a totally foolish move on your part. I like to be able to add movies to my DVD queue from my iPhone," commented "b.dsign." "[I]f this means that netflix is going to add more movies to watch instantly i support the change," "Beto" wrote, "but if they are not, then it's just a bad idea."

Related: Netflix to get its own remote control button >>

As of yet Netflix hasn't released any response, which, really, is their response. Whether customers like or not, Netflix knows that the future is moving away from physical discs and toward instant access. And, really, none of us who use Netflix should be surprised: Back in November the company announced that they were offering a new lower subscription rate for streaming-only customers while increasing the rate for people who still wanted DVDs. Right now, if you want DVDs from Netflix, the company is less than thrilled with you: They need you to get used to the idea of streaming films and TV shows so that you'll drop the physical disc habit: a craving, ironically, that they themselves created thanks to the ease of their iconic red envelopes.

Related: Netflix and Starz deal could cost upwards of $300 million a year >>

But while Netflix is slowly discouraging the continued interest in DVDs, they face a different challenge even if their business model transformation succeeds. As Slate reported, if Netflix's streaming business takes off the way they think it will, it could prove a serious drain on America's broadband capacity, which is far less nimble than other countries'. Netflix is angering customers right now because the company wants to do away with DVDs: We don't even want to think of a future where Netflix angers the entire Internet community because too many people are streaming old episodes of "Friends" at the same time.

GDC
1/19/2011, 07:48 PM
Works great on my PS3, no problems on my Samsung BD player either. Streaming speeds would depend more on your ISP I would think. I've got cox.

Works great on mine too.

sappstuf
1/19/2011, 08:08 PM

Works great on my PS3. The kids also use a Wii to stream. The quality isn't as good, but I blame that on the component connections versus HDMI.

Spray
1/20/2011, 09:10 AM
Got the wireless internet LAN adapter for my Samsung TV this weekend. After I got it set up (had some issues with my NetGear router- customer service nightmare story for another day), I went ahead and got my Netflix on-demand going.

Awesome.

I for one can't wait for them to move to a model where more of their stuff is on-demand. I thought through the mail was convenient- this is the next logical step in the business model. It won't be long before internet through your TV is easier and more accessible to all. I'm no early adopter.

C&CDean
1/20/2011, 09:16 AM
You can get the internet at home nowadays.

No I can't. Dial up or the POS satellite deal are my only options. Besides, I don't even own a computer.

KuppiKunta
1/20/2011, 09:27 AM
Shhhhh.....don't tell Netflix, but I don't think I could ever give it up. Hell of a deal for 12.99 a month (I pay $3 extra for Blu Ray). But really, we watch more streaming than discs. Just finished season 1 of Californication, but sucks because the other seasons aren't available. Watched seasons 1-5 of Weeds and can't wait for Season 6 to be available. Also watched Spartacus, and now the prequel Spartacus: Gods of the Arena will be available for streaming the following day of it's air on Starz. My daughter watches a ton of Law and Order. And I think they are working diligently to improve their streaming choices (see post #22), eventually they'll do away with discs.

Boomer.....
1/20/2011, 09:32 AM
We just got it a couple months ago. Get at least one disk in the mail a week and have been watching movies through the computer, Wii, and Bluray player also. Even though there isn't much new movies on streaming, I'm digging it so far.

My Opinion Matters
1/20/2011, 09:38 AM
I think Netflix is outstanding. In my home it's essentially made cable superfluous. When our Direct TV contract is up this summer we're cutting the cord and going cable-free. I just can't stand the idea of pissing away $80 a month on a service we use a couple of hours a week.

Boomer.....
1/20/2011, 10:15 AM
The only problem is watching sports. Although I guess now we have ESPN 3 and some other illegal sites.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 11:48 AM

Works fine on mine . . . over my wireless network.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 11:49 AM
I use a 360; however, I've read that all Blu-Ray players aren't the same when it comes to Netflix. Specifically, I think the interface is very poor on many players. Inability to search titles, etc.

This is true on mine. I can do more on Netflix when streaming over my Wii.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 11:51 AM
No I can't. Dial up or the POS satellite deal are my only options. Besides, I don't even own a computer.

I'm surprised there isn't a wireless broadband provider that serves out your way. That's how I have to get mine.

DIB
1/20/2011, 12:10 PM
I stream through an app on my Samsung TV. Its really good quality. I don't even get the DVDs in the mail.

Thaumaturge
1/20/2011, 12:16 PM
I think Caligula is available streaming now.

DIB
1/20/2011, 12:20 PM
I think Caligula is available streaming now.

I run that on a constant loop on my phone

delhalew
1/20/2011, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a wireless broadband provider that serves out your way. That's how I have to get mine.

While wireless CAN be a big improvement over satellite or dial up, terrain can prohit it's use.
I used the Rhino wireless service in my area. It worked ok for online gaming, but was far less than optimal for streaming. I used to start a movie, wait for it to buffer, pause and go do something for a while, then come back and watch the flick.

Compared with cable...instant high def...I miss it.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 12:48 PM
While wireless CAN be a big improvement over satellite or dial up, terrain can prohit it's use.
I used the Rhino wireless service in my area. It worked ok for online gaming, but was far less than optimal for streaming. I used to start a movie, wait for it to buffer, pause and go do something for a while, then come back and watch the flick.

Compared with cable...instant high def...I miss it.

Wireless broadband is much more than a big improvement over satellite or dial-up out my way. No bandwidth caps and I get DSL or faster speeds.

Of course it did take some tweaking to get things up to par and hopefully spring foliage won't be a problem. :D

C&CDean
1/20/2011, 12:52 PM
I run that on a constant loop on my phone

You like the scene where they tie a leather thong around the guy's weenie, don't you?

delhalew
1/20/2011, 12:56 PM
Wireless broadband is much more than a big improvement over satellite or dial-up out my way. No bandwidth caps and I get DSL or faster speeds.

Of course it did take some tweaking to get things up to par and hopefully spring foliage won't be a problem. :D

I had to build a tower to get over the trees. It's not hard to beat satalite. Between the latency and data caps, it's like paying somebody to rape you.

With wireless, I paid for the silver package. My mother's AT&T DSL was faster.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 01:03 PM
I had to build a tower to get over the trees. It's not hard to beat satalite. Between the latency and data caps, it's like paying somebody to rape you.

With wireless, I paid for the silver package. My mother's AT&T DSL was faster.

I'm using @tLink (http://www.atlinkwifi.com/) . . . they are the third provider I've tried. Initially I was using Sprint and had awesome service, but after about 6 months Sprint lost the broadcast spectrum they were using and I had to find someone else.

delhalew
1/20/2011, 01:14 PM
I'm using @tLink (http://www.atlinkwifi.com/) . . . they are the third provider I've tried. Initially I was using Sprint and had awesome service, but after about 6 months Sprint lost the broadcast spectrum they were using and I had to find someone else.

Pretty sure the only wireless service available in my area (lawton/duncan Y) is Rhino.

MsProudSooner
1/20/2011, 01:28 PM

I watch Netflix through my Blu-Ray player with no problems.

I can wait for movies to be available for my instant queue. But, I'm watching the HBO Miniseries John Adams right now and it wasn't available on the instant queue.

Boomer.....
1/20/2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone have problems streaming movies or shows over the internet? It works fine everytime using the Wii or Blu Ray player. I randomly get "Your internet connection has slowed. We are adjusting playback to avoid further interuptions." I know nothing is wrong with the internet connection.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2011, 01:40 PM
I watch Netflix through my Blu-Ray player with no problems.

I can wait for movies to be available for my instant queue. But, I'm watching the HBO Miniseries John Adams right now and it wasn't available on the instant queue.

Is that any good? I've been meaning to try and watch it.

jkjsooner
1/20/2011, 02:34 PM
I think the move to on demand has some issues.

1. You simply can't get the quality you can on blu-ray. We all bought our 1080p TV's and would like at least one medium that provides a 1080p signal with low compression.

2. We'll be running more and more into issues with bandwidth limitations, etc. It's okay if a small percent are ordering Internet based on-demand movies but when it becomes the norm I think there will be problems. And, as we discussed in the net neutrality thread, Comcast/Verizon/Time Warner/etc. aren't going to be happy if everyone starts using the bandwidth they provide for services that compete directly with them.

Even when you order on demand movies through your cable company, you can randomly get the "error xxx" or "service unavailable" messages and this is mainly due to the fact that their on-demand bandwidth allocated to your area is used up. (I had Verizon FiOS for a while and never got that message. Unfortunately I moved to an area that doesn't offer fiber service - at least not all the way to the house.)

BigJerm7
1/20/2011, 10:53 PM
I watched the Wild and Wonderful Whites last night. Lol.

Allsome movie.

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2011, 02:39 AM
I like this Net-flicks better and their "instant viewing" is more up to date. Can't beat the price either!

http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.com/index.php?showforum=96