PDA

View Full Version : The Boz

Breadburner
1/18/2011, 05:54 PM
was on the travel channel lamenting how good California BBq was and how he was going to bring it to Oklahoma and teach us "Red-Necks" what real BBq is.......It made me laugh....:D

Mad Dog Madsen
1/18/2011, 05:58 PM
LMAO! That's funny right there...

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 06:01 PM
You have to say things like that when on tv. If you acctually believe that Cali bbq is anywhere near as good as Oklahoma bbq you're ****ing isane.

bmjlr
1/18/2011, 06:06 PM
You have to say things like that when on tv. If you acctually believe that Cali bbq is anywhere near as good as Oklahoma bbq you're ****ing isane.

^^^^^^^^^THIS

Breadburner
1/18/2011, 06:14 PM
He did say he was from Oklahoma and new what "good" Bbq was....

bonkuba
1/18/2011, 06:22 PM
Lived in Irvine CA for about a year on/off for an IBM contract....and believe me the BBQ on the left coast is NOT good at all.:D

Breadburner
1/18/2011, 06:27 PM
Lived in Irvine CA for about a year on/off for an IBM contract....and believe me the BBQ on the left coast is NOT good at all.:D

It didnt look good to me......

Sooner_Tuf
1/18/2011, 06:36 PM
Oh it's alright. It is not the same as Oklahoma BBQ. I myself prefer pork to tofu but to each his own.

stoopified
1/18/2011, 06:40 PM
He is being paid to pimp Cali-bbq,whadda ya gonna do?

Breadburner
1/18/2011, 06:41 PM
He is being paid to pimp Cali-bbq,whadda ya gonna do?

Nope he was just sittin at the counter like everyone else....

AlboSooner
1/18/2011, 07:03 PM
long live teh boz

tcrb
1/18/2011, 08:25 PM
That's certainly not the first outrageous statement The Boz has made.

SoonerMom2
1/18/2011, 08:46 PM
Lived in SoCal and So Texas and no one beats OK BBQ which is the best in the Country. We had a vendor at the tailgate at the Fiesta Bowl want to sell us ribs and asked if we had ever had ribs. We told him OK is #1 for BBQ as far as we are concerned in the whole Country. My brother had just had Billy Simms BBQ ribs before we left for the game.

Had BBQ in a lot of places and OK is definitely #1!

Sooner Cal
1/18/2011, 09:14 PM
Boz is right. Once you get off the grease train that is southern cuisine you will appreciate our cooking.

Rocko
1/18/2011, 09:24 PM
Texas BBQ.

oumartin
1/18/2011, 09:33 PM
I had some great bbq in Bakersfield.

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 09:34 PM
Lived in SoCal and So Texas and no one beats OK BBQ which is the best in the Country. We had a vendor at the tailgate at the Fiesta Bowl want to sell us ribs and asked if we had ever had ribs. We told him OK is #1 for BBQ as far as we are concerned in the whole Country. My brother had just had Billy Simms BBQ ribs before we left for the game.

Had BBQ in a lot of places and OK is definitely #1!

Those sandwiches they had tasted like dog food, bet the ribs weren't great. I also hated the ****ty cover band they had assuming that every country song was an "oklahoma song"and every journey/bon jovi song is a " uconn song". ****ing idiots....

C&CDean
1/18/2011, 09:43 PM
Boz is right. Once you get off the grease train that is southern cuisine you will appreciate our cooking.

Fruits and nuts. Meh.

tcrb
1/18/2011, 09:49 PM
Best BBQ ribs I've ever had I got in Memphis.

Dan Thompson
1/18/2011, 09:49 PM
There is a little rib place in north Tustin, CA, home of OU's Chris Chester, that is really good.

Most BBQ out here is really just grilling, not much finger lickin sauce.

The name of the restaurant is TULSA RIBS.

cantwait48
1/18/2011, 09:59 PM
I had bbq in cali once, once

MI Sooner
1/18/2011, 10:02 PM
Are there any good BBQ joints in Norman? I didn't get ribs a lot as a student (late 90s_, because I was too cheap, but I did try every place I saw, and didn't think any were that great. There was a Big ________ or Mr. _______ just SE of the stadium that was ok. Takeout mostly. But I think it was only there for a couple years. The place on Lindsey near 35 wasn't that great (fried corn is a dumbass idea, breading just falls off), but again, didn't eat there much due to cost. There was one place north or campus (on Flood or Berry) that I used to get pulled pork sandwiches from. They were fine, but nothing to write home about.

Maybe I just have weird taste in BBQ, I don't know. I thought Corky's in Memphis sucked ***, but only ate there once (during NCAA tournament in Memphis). I think I just prefer Carolina-style, especially over KC too-sweet style.

oumartin
1/18/2011, 10:06 PM
I prefer a little sweeter bbq myself.

tcrb
1/18/2011, 10:08 PM
I prefer a little sweeter bbq myself.

Sissy!

JK:D

Partial Qualifier
1/18/2011, 10:23 PM
There was a Big ________ or Mr. _______ just SE of the stadium that was ok.

Takeout mostly.

Harv's? In a trailer parked in the old Braums parking lot? It's okay. Great chopped brisket sandwich though.

The place on Lindsey near 35 wasn't that great (fried corn is a dumbass idea, breading just falls off)

In that hotel there, now Sooner Legends Inn & Suites? Used to be a Ramada Inn. I'm having a brain fart, I can't remember what that restaurant was called. I didn't think it was real good the couple times I tried it

There was one place north or campus (on Flood or Berry) that I used to get pulled pork sandwiches from. They were fine, but nothing to write home about.

Van's pig stand? Not a huge fan of this one either, but their hotlinks are good.

Maybe I just have weird taste in BBQ, I don't know. I thought Corky's in Memphis sucked ***, but only ate there once (during NCAA tournament in Memphis). I think I just prefer Carolina-style, especially over KC too-sweet style.

There are several other chain BBQ places in/around Norman, including Billy Sims', but I promise you the best BBQ in Norman is made in backyards and tailgates and served to family/guests... for free

it would be hard for a BBQ place to really make it big here because so many people do it themselves alot better than a restaurant could

MyT Oklahoma
1/18/2011, 10:57 PM
Kansas City BBQ isn't bad but to each his/her own.

Burp!

Soonerfan88
1/18/2011, 11:57 PM
Try Darrol Ray's BBQ on W. Lindsey, where Pizza Hut used to be.

allanace16
1/19/2011, 12:14 AM
Try Darrol Ray's BBQ on W. Lindsey, where Pizza Hut used to be.

Wondered about that place, but haven't made my way over there yet. And this thread hasn't helped my hankerin' for ribs lately...

agoo758
1/19/2011, 01:27 AM
I didn't even know Californians ate meat.

On a side note: BBQ in Memphis is the worst.

SoonerinLA
1/19/2011, 01:29 AM
I didn't see the TV show but I've run into Bosworth at a BBQ place a few times here in L.A. I'm pretty sure Bosworth wants to bring that BBQ to Oklahoma. It's excellent BBQ, one of the few good BBQ places in L.A. I know Oklahomans know good BBQ and I think you'll like it if they open in OKlahoma. Coach Switzer will likely be involved also.

LASooner
1/19/2011, 01:51 AM
LIES!

jumperstop
1/19/2011, 01:59 AM
Rudy's on Chattaqua and Highway 9 is pretty good, it's a chain but they are one of the best in Norman.

SC Sooner
1/19/2011, 08:36 AM
I've had CA BBQ twice (first and last time). AZ BBQ is a little, but not much better, than the CA BBQ. I've been trying to get Billy to open a chain out here in Phoenix, but looks like he's got Motown targeted next... oh, well. I can always hope.

C&CDean
1/19/2011, 09:01 AM
Once you start dabbling in home-smoked bbq you can't even eat at any of the restaurants anymore. I've never had ribs/brisket/turkey/chicken/links anywhere that are better than the ones I do at the Deanarosa.

Most bbq joints smoke with pure hickory which overpowers the smoke flavor. Most of them have sugary sauces. I use primarily pecan with just a little hickory and sometimes pear for smoking. If I'm doing store-bought sauce, I use Head Country Hot. Sometimes I add some rooster jizz to it to kick it up a notch. I do some ribs dry, and some wet. My personal preference is to finish them out dry, then slather the hell out of them with sauce and put them on the grill to crisp up a little right before serving.

OUmillenium
1/19/2011, 09:13 AM
Heh, Deanarosa. Thanks now I have the Bananza song in my head

texaspokieokie
1/19/2011, 09:25 AM
how can anyone that eats @ 3 or 4 places feel that they know how good (or bad) the BBQ is in the whole state of CA ?? or any other state.

CA is a very large state.

i took some tx guys to my favorite BBQ place in Burbank, & they laffed @ the BBQ. couldn't believe it was even called BBQ.

working on a "joint-venture", when we came to Grand Prairie, they took me to
Sonny Bryan's & showed me the difference. they were right.

of course that was 41 yrs ago.

KantoSooner
1/19/2011, 09:54 AM
I had great bbq in Oakland during a friends wedding week. Talked to the guy running the fire and found out he was from Tulsa. Figured.

Note to Californians: Strawberry jam and miniature marshmallows are NOT barbecue sauce ingredients.

tfoolry
1/19/2011, 09:59 AM
Great BBQ with great scenery. Nothing beats this place for the total experience.

http://www.bonedaddys.com/

texaspokieokie
1/19/2011, 10:02 AM
agree, been to the one off I-20 in south arlington. girls are great & so is food.
been there several times, girls are like "Hooters", but much nicer.

Dio
1/19/2011, 10:32 AM
I had some great bbq in Bakersfield.

Makes sense. Bakersfield = lots of Okies and kids & grandkids of Okies.

texaspokieokie
1/19/2011, 10:50 AM
yeah, i bet Merle Haggard knows good BBQ.

SoonerOX
1/19/2011, 10:51 AM
Carolina BBQ is wassup...

tcrb
1/19/2011, 11:51 AM
I didn't even know Californians ate meat.

On a side note: BBQ in Memphis is the worst.

If that's what you think, then you haven't been to the right part of town. ;)

agoo758
1/19/2011, 12:18 PM
If that's what you think, then you haven't been to the right part of town. ;)

The wink implies some sort of joke, but I'm missing it. lol

My experience comes from my unexpected long stay in Memphis. I was flying home from Vegas to Lafayette at the beginning of the year, and our flight connected to Memphis. Long story short, our flight got cancelled, and we were stuck there for another 24 hours, I had some BBQ sausage at a Corky's and ribs and some other place and it was AWFUL. And this is coming from a guy who LOOOVES his BBQ.

agoo758
1/19/2011, 12:20 PM
Note to Californians: Strawberry jam and miniature marshmallows are NOT barbecue sauce ingredients.

What the ****?!:confused: :confused:

KantoSooner
1/19/2011, 12:44 PM
agoo, how on earth could you be confused by such obvious sarcasm and scorn directed at a part of the country that does not identify with good bbq?

by the way, if you go to a chili cook off, make sure it's CASI (texas org) certified. There are other Cali based orgs that encourage 'creativity'.

OrlandoSooner
1/19/2011, 01:01 PM
Memphis BBQ - IMO, the ribs at Rendezvous are hard to beat. Corkey's alright, but don't judge an entire region or city based on one restaurant.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2011, 01:02 PM
agoo, how on earth could you be confused by such obvious sarcasm and scorn directed at a part of the country that does not identify with good bbq?

by the way, if you go to a chili cook off, make sure it's CASI (texas org) certified. There are other Cali based orgs that encourage 'creativity'.

Chili has to be certified?

C&CDean
1/19/2011, 01:06 PM
Chili has to be certified?

Momma's tailgate chili is certified. By me.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2011, 01:20 PM
Momma's tailgate chili is certified. By me.

Do you perform surprise inspections of her kitchen?

Sooner_Bob
1/19/2011, 01:38 PM
Now all we need is a thread about chili with or without beans . . .

KantoSooner
1/19/2011, 03:13 PM
The cookoffs are certified or sponsored or whatever. If you collect enough points, you get invited to regionals, etc. Like a playoff. Culminating in the drunken orgy of Terlingua where the world champion is crowned (and awarded thousands of dollars and valuable prizes).
It's fun for when there's no football.

Booner
1/19/2011, 04:29 PM
I guess Will Rogers was right. The collective IQs of California and Oklahoma go up every time a Sooner leaves the state to go to California.

Who ever heard of California BBQ? Isn't that code word for "fusion" cuisine in Cali? (where's that barfing emoticon when you need it).

texaspokieokie
1/19/2011, 04:35 PM
i just know there are some good BBQ joints in CA !!!!

smackramensooner
1/19/2011, 06:48 PM
local Memphian here.

Central BBQ for ribs

Payne's for Pulled Pork Sandwich

Rendezvous for BBQ Nachos

and Cozy Corner for smoked cornish game hen.

you can't beat it!

SoonerinLA
1/20/2011, 02:40 AM
Baby Blues BBQ in W. Hollywood and Santa Monica is pretty good BBQ in L.A. That's where Boz hangs and that's the stuff he wants to bring to Oklahoma. Also, Phillips BBQ in the hood is good. I'm sure there are others out there.

Dio
1/20/2011, 01:21 PM
The wink implies some sort of joke, but I'm missing it. lol

My experience comes from my unexpected long stay in Memphis. I was flying home from Vegas to Lafayette at the beginning of the year, and our flight connected to Memphis. Long story short, our flight got cancelled, and we were stuck there for another 24 hours, I had some BBQ sausage at a Corky's and ribs and some other place and it was AWFUL. And this is coming from a guy who LOOOVES his BBQ.

If you didn't fear for your life at any time during your trip to get BBQ in Memphis, you didn't go to the right place.

KantoSooner
1/20/2011, 02:15 PM
Ah, you should never fear when you walk in Memphis.

Just load Magna-Shok and you'll be just fine.

EatLeadCommie
1/20/2011, 02:18 PM
I wasn't aware that California had its own distinct brand of BBQ (and I wasn't aware that Oklahoma did either, for that matter). I've heard of Carolina BBQ, Chicago, BBQ, Memphis BBQ, Kansas City BBQ, and Texas BBQ.

85sooners
1/20/2011, 02:25 PM
:pop:

KantoSooner
1/20/2011, 03:02 PM
I wasn't aware that California had its own distinct brand of BBQ (and I wasn't aware that Oklahoma did either, for that matter). I've heard of Carolina BBQ, Chicago, BBQ, Memphis BBQ, Kansas City BBQ, and Texas BBQ.

I'm not sure of the precise definitions, but bbq does show remarkable regional characteristics. I'm in the food business and there are huge differences between KC, Memphis, Okie, Carolina and Mississippi bbq sauces. Just completely different ingredient lists. (Think about the use of honey, molasses, tomato sauce and vinegar to start laying out the landscape). On that sort of descriptive arc, I am not sure Cali has it's own character. It's mostly transplants from somewhere else doing versions of their own 'home' recipes.

misplacedsooner
1/20/2011, 03:22 PM
i went to the commisarry in memphis last year and it was very good.

milesl
1/20/2011, 04:08 PM
The best bbq in the nation is in Kansas City. Ironically the best BBQ restaurant in Kansas City is called Oklahoma Joes.

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/

Oklahoma Joe’s Barbecue and Catering can be traced to competition barbecue and the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS). Tagging along with friends at the American Royal and The Great Lenexa BBQ Battle was all the inspiration Jeff needed to get started cooking on his own. The first smoker purchased was an Oklahoma Joe’s 24” smoker, christened below in April 1991.

Anthony Bourdain called it the best barbeque in the world......

Osagecrimson
1/20/2011, 06:44 PM
I thought the only thing that you could smoke legally in cali was weed.

agoo758
1/20/2011, 06:51 PM
Big Boy's BBQ in Natchitoches is the best.

I'm not kidding, and you get 7 huge azz ribs for 6 dollars.

tcrb
1/20/2011, 09:43 PM
Hmmmm...I'd be more inclined to order the gumbo or e'toufe'e if I were in Natchitoches.

tfoolry
1/21/2011, 10:18 AM
They have some great BBQ in Arkansas.
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/709697/80573758.jpg

MI Sooner
1/21/2011, 12:00 PM

Beef, I'm assuming?

Also, for everyone talking up Oklahoma, what is Oklahoma-style BBQ (or isn't there one, just a bunch of good/different places)? When someone say Oklahoma-style, I'm picturing what I'd think of as Texas style (beef, mesquite, not as sweet as KC but not as vinerary/mustardy as Carolina).

47straight
1/21/2011, 12:01 PM
They have some great BBQ in Arkansas.
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/709697/80573758.jpg

That is in Austin.

KantoSooner
1/21/2011, 12:29 PM
Hmmm, Oklahoma style BBQ.
Here's what I have gleaned from experience, mostly, in the sauce market.
Texas is generally hotter and more tomato-ey than Okie (which has more of a sweet note, sometimes a decided 'ketchupy' flavor and many times a shocking amount of butter in the mix). You can see this even in-state if you compare, say, Head Country, to Pete's (I think) made in Ardmore. You go only a bit into Kansas and you start to see molasses being used dominantly over the tomato-base. Oklahoma is a nice, middle of the road bbq sauce flavor. And you're right about Carolina being heavily slanted in favor of vinegar.
the wood is another thing. Texas tends toward mesquite, while Oklahoma is more of oak/hickory/pecan and you move into pure Hickory up toward KC and into Kentucky/Tennessee, back into oak/pecan in the deeper south. (and in many cases, this is reflected in the sauces, as well, with different flavors of liquid smoke being used - at a commercial level, you can get variants of probably 20 different types of 'smoke' and then blend or play with strengths.

Now that I've bored you, suffice it to say that Oklahoma has a distinct taste...as do most other places ranging across the old South and up into Illinois/Indiana/Southern Ohio.

I never would have guessed nor would I have had any appreciation of the subtleties without having had to learn my azz off the past several years.

Oh, and here's a fun point: about 30% of your favorite bbq

KantoSooner
1/21/2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry, errant finger: about 30% of your favorite sauce is probably....soy sauce. Excellent none MSG way to boost flavors.

agoo758
4/10/2012, 11:34 PM

This place recently shut down :(........ and became a Goddam tatoo parlor! :mad:

picasso
4/11/2012, 07:49 AM
Mack's BBQ, Skiatook, Oklahoma. Best I've had in my short 42 yrs.

OULenexaman
4/11/2012, 08:00 AM
This place recently shut down :(........ and became a Goddam tatoo parlor! :mad: So do they give you 7 huge azz tats for 6 bucks?

BetterSoonerThanLater
4/11/2012, 11:03 AM
i just know there are some good joints in CA !!!!

FIFY.

snoop doggy is their spokesman

BetterSoonerThanLater
4/11/2012, 11:05 AM
Dinks BBQ in Bartlesville is pretty damn good. had them cater my rehersal dinner the night before my wedding.

70sooner
4/11/2012, 11:26 AM
Dinks BBQ in Bartlesville is pretty damn good. had them cater my rehersal dinner the night before my wedding.

Dinks is OK.

Bad Brads in Pawhuska is pretty damn good, but the best BBQ I ever had was some little ol joint out in the middle of nowhere in Alabama, years ago. I was driving back from Atlanta driving mainly backroads and secondary highways and happend upon this place. I don't remember the name of the place, but it sure was good.....

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2012, 11:28 AM
Now I'm in the mood for some BBQ.

C&CDean
4/11/2012, 11:41 AM
Once you learn to properly smoke ribs/brisket/pork/etc. you can't ever say "the best BBQ is at XX restaurant." I haven't even eaten BBQ out in probably 10 years. None of them come close to what I can smoke at the house.

That being said, I do use Head Country Hot as my go-to sauce. The regular is kinda meh, but the hot is pretty decent.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 11:52 AM
Once you learn to properly smoke ribs/brisket/pork/etc. you can't ever say "the best BBQ is at XX restaurant." I haven't even eaten BBQ out in probably 10 years. None of them come close to what I can smoke at the house.

That being said, I do use Head Country Hot as my go-to sauce. The regular is kinda meh, but the hot is pretty decent.

Once I got me a Smoky Mountain and started doing my own Q I feel the same way.

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2012, 11:54 AM
Hmmmm...I'd be more inclined to order the gumbo or e'toufe'e if I were in Natchitoches....or meat pies...Mmmm.

As far as ribs go, I like Memphis style. I don't need no stinking sauce.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 11:57 AM
On a good batch of ribs I can take or leave the sauce.

MamaMia
4/11/2012, 12:21 PM
We have such a huge variety of BBQ here in Oklahoma that there is no way that anyone has better BBQ than we do. They must have drugged him.

Curly Bill
4/11/2012, 12:33 PM
Best BBQ ever was at a place in Colbert called Po Sams, and then when he passed it on to his son it was called Archies.

UberSooner
4/11/2012, 01:40 PM
Guy and Mays Tavern in Williamsburg KS. The end of the best ribs debate.

tomtom
4/11/2012, 02:07 PM
I read in okc newspaper that before spring game april 14, that bbq was being sold on the north side
stadium. 8 am to one thirty.
10 dollars, umm bbq for breakfest.

Frozen Sooner
4/11/2012, 02:23 PM
Memphis BBQ - IMO, the ribs at Rendezvous are hard to beat. Corkey's alright, but don't judge an entire region or city based on one restaurant.

The Rendezvous is pretty good, but the pulled pork w/ extra bark is the way to go there. So sayeth the locals. I've only had the ribs and thought they were a'ight.
Central BBQ in Memphis is also pretty good.

The Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is good (though make sure you go to the original), but my favorite is Archibald's. There's also a couple of good places up in Birmingham.

The only Oklahoma BBQ I can remember is Jake's Rib in Chickasha.

Edit: Forgot about Billy Sims'. Meh.

I hear good things about Stubbs' in Austin, but you won't catch me there.

SoonerInFortSmith
4/11/2012, 02:28 PM
Arkansas kinda struggles on the bbq front. There is a pretty good place in Eureka Springs called Bubba's. And Three Sams in Mabelvale (just SW of Little Rock) is awesome.

Someone mentioned Vann's Pig Stand. Their bbq isn't great but their chicken fried steak is the stuff. With mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. There you go.

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 02:30 PM
Wild Horse Mtn BBQ just south of Salisaw. Used to be dayum fine
Not been there since the Dad died

texaspokieokie
4/11/2012, 02:42 PM
Best BBQ ever was at a place in Colbert called Po Sams, and then when he passed it on to his son it was called Archies.I've been there. It's good, but i'm no expert on bbq.
on the old highway.

KantoSooner
4/11/2012, 03:15 PM
Not sure that it would be 'the best' but for 'damn good' I'd suggest Sonny's in Springdale, AR.
One of the quirky things I like about it is that it's run by a Korean couple. It takes cojones to move into a foreign country and open a restaurant specializing in the local specialty.

And it's pretty damn good barbecue.

zeptrey
4/11/2012, 03:47 PM
WTF! No Leo's mention, Ken's or Georges? They recently closed Tom's BBQ which made some damn fine BBQ and some awesome sweet potato pie.

SoonerInFortSmith
4/11/2012, 04:48 PM
Wild Horse Mtn BBQ just south of Salisaw. Used to be dayum fine
Not been there since the Dad died

Wild Horse Mountain changed hands. It is not what it used to be. It is just ok now.

agoo758
4/11/2012, 04:56 PM
So do they give you 7 huge azz tats for 6 bucks?

No.... :(

agoo758
4/11/2012, 04:59 PM
Not sure that it would be 'the best' but for 'damn good' I'd suggest Sonny's in Springdale, AR.
One of the quirky things I like about it is that it's run by a Korean couple. It takes cojones to move into a foreign country and open a restaurant specializing in the local specialty.

And it's pretty damn good barbecue.

Sonny's in Florida is the nuts....... never been to the arky location.

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 05:00 PM
Wild Horse Mountain changed hands. It is not what it used to be. It is just ok now.
After the Old man died his Kids fought over it. Heard it went down hill after that.
Did the Kids sell out?

8timechamps
4/11/2012, 06:52 PM
WTF! No Leo's mention, Ken's or Georges? They recently closed Tom's BBQ which made some damn fine BBQ and some awesome sweet potato pie.

Leo's still stands as the best BBQ I've eaten. BBQ in Colorado is horrible. Mexican food, on the other hand...we may have some of the best in the country.

85sooners
4/11/2012, 07:07 PM
Rib crib all locations

sooneredaco
4/11/2012, 07:07 PM
It's not just Bar B Que. It's Boomer Que!!!!

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2012, 07:17 PM

And it's pretty damn good barbecue.In Springdale right now...may have to hook that up.

Al Gore
4/11/2012, 09:15 PM
Guy and Mays Tavern in Williamsburg KS. The end of the best ribs debate. Heck yeah....this place and a few places in KC.....the best bbq!

bluedogok
4/11/2012, 09:35 PM
Leo's still stands as the best BBQ I've eaten. BBQ in Colorado is horrible. Mexican food, on the other hand...we may have some of the best in the country.
We usually eat at Leo's when we are back in town...I have some Leo's sauce in the fridge right now. I need to learn to make something close to that but will have to pick up some more going through OKC when we have the closing on the house in Austin in May. I also have some Head Country sauce, that was always the standby and they had it in the stores in Austin. I left my smoker in Austin, gave it to the neighbors so I have been looking to get another one up here.

Brother's BBQ (the one on Arapahoe is the location that I go to) is pretty good for Colorado, better than what I had up here before.

In Austin Stubb's is more concert venue than BBQ, there are a bunch of much better places in the Central Texas area for BBQ than Stubb's. Franklin's (http://franklinbarbecue.com/) on East 11th is the hot new place new.

8timechamps
4/11/2012, 11:47 PM
We usually eat at Leo's when we are back in town...I have some Leo's sauce in the fridge right now. I need to learn to make something close to that but will have to pick up some more going through OKC when we have the closing on the house in Austin in May. I also have some Head Country sauce, that was always the standby and they had it in the stores in Austin. I left my smoker in Austin, gave it to the neighbors so I have been looking to get another one up here.

Brother's BBQ (the one on Arapahoe is the location that I go to) is pretty good for Colorado, better than what I had up here before.

In Austin Stubb's is more concert venue than BBQ, there are a bunch of much better places in the Central Texas area for BBQ than Stubb's. Franklin's (http://franklinbarbecue.com/) on East 11th is the hot new place new.

Brothers is just about the only decent BBQ here. The place was started by two brothers (imagine that) from England. Who knew the British could make BBQ?! Anyway, when I go back to OKC, I too go to Leo's.

Leo's sauce is probably what I miss the most, I grew up on that stuff.

StoopTroup
4/12/2012, 02:04 AM
The best I've ever had came off of my Smoker. I know there are a bunch of good places to get BBQ and if you want to avoid the trouble of cooking they can be rated really good but I've had more disappointments taking someone's advice about how good someone's BBQ place was. We used to go to Macs up in Skiatook and I do like their stuff and even for a time legends in Owasso was OK but for my money Billy Sims is as good as anyone's if I'm not gonna go to the trouble of slow smoking my own.

Also, Ive tried Vanns and the places in Wewoka and Seminole and they are all worth stopping in for some eating if you are out that way but if you are gonna pig out i just like knowing my recliner and TV arent to far from my smoker.

LASooner
4/12/2012, 03:35 AM
What California DOES have, is a tremendous amount of marijuana which is probably the cause of Boz's statement.

Curly Bill
4/12/2012, 07:23 AM
I've been there. It's good, but i'm no expert on bbq.
on the old highway.

Yep, that's where it was. And just a shack basically, the kinda place ya wouldn't stop unless you already knew about it.

Turd_Ferguson
4/12/2012, 08:38 AM
Ables in Antlers had some damn good rib's and chicken last time I et there...bout 6 years ago.

BigTip
4/12/2012, 11:35 AM
I am laughing about the fact that this is the most active thread on the "Football" forum.

When is the first game? Damn I miss football season!

lol

4/14/2012, 07:15 AM
Mmmmm... marijuana.

BBQ is like God. If you believe in it, then your God is the only one.

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2012, 09:31 AM

But not your BBQ . . . .

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2012, 09:32 AM
The best I've ever had came off of my Smoker. I know there are a bunch of good places to get BBQ and if you want to avoid the trouble of cooking they can be rated really good but I've had more disappointments taking someone's advice about how good someone's BBQ place was. We used to go to Macs up in Skiatook and I do like their stuff and even for a time legends in Owasso was OK but for my money Billy Sims is as good as anyone's if I'm not gonna go to the trouble of slow smoking my own.

Also, Ive tried Vanns and the places in Wewoka and Seminole and they are all worth stopping in for some eating if you are out that way but if you are gonna pig out i just like knowing my recliner and TV arent to far from my smoker.

I haven't heard anything good about Billy's place in Edmond . . . we like Steve's Rib and Earl's when we need a BBQ fix.

4/14/2012, 12:54 PM
I think for many of us, Boz is our Chuck Norris. In fact, he's more Chuck Norris than the actual Chuck Norris.

If you don't agree, somethin'-rather off, ya nut-bucket.

StoopTroup
4/14/2012, 08:47 PM
I think it's maybe Wellston (?)...

We were taking our Daughter to OU Children's Hospital a few years back. On way there was a bad wreck on the Turner Turnpike and they blocked traffic and rerouted us onto Route 66 where we finally got back on the turnpike.

Anyway that diversion took us past this place that we couldn't really tell if they were still in business but one sign said "PJ's Auto Sales and BBQ".

Now I don't know about you but that just might be worth going back to see how the BBQ is and maybe checkout the deals on a used car.

sooner94
4/19/2012, 03:49 PM
Was he wearing a t-shirt that said "National Communists Against California BBQ?"