PDA

View Full Version : OU's Athletic Department continues to show it doesn't care

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 03:18 PM
Spring game set for the Saturday of the Bedlam baseball series.

Seriously?

Sooner11JK
1/18/2011, 04:01 PM
You can look at it another way actually. Let me preface by saying I have no idea what their thought process is. However, you have several thousand folks captive at GFOMS where you can market to them an OU event later that evening in OKC. The spring game's time has not been announced but I assume it will be at 1pm or 2pm. The Bedlam game isn't until 7:05pm so it could present a terrific marketing opportunity. Now, watch, there won't be a single mention of baseball at the spring game...grrrrrrrrrr!

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 04:22 PM
You can look at it another way actually. Let me preface by saying I have no idea what their thought process is. However, you have several thousand folks captive at GFOMS where you can market to them an OU event later that evening in OKC. The spring game's time has not been announced but I assume it will be at 1pm or 2pm. The OU-OSU game isn't until 7:05pm so it could present a terrific marketing opportunity. Now, watch, there won't be a single mention of baseball at the spring game...grrrrrrrrrr!

I would put 10-1 that there's not a mention of it. It's not on campus. OU won't care.

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 04:25 PM
I don't care, as well as the majority of other people I would guess. So why should OU's athletic department care? Two games on the same day at different times? Ohh no....

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 04:33 PM
I don't care, as well as the majority of other people I would guess. So why should OU's athletic department care? Two games on the same day at different times? Ohh no....

Dude, there are TWO GAMES in the years that more than 2,000 OU fans go to. They are the Saturday and Sunday night games of Bedlam.

You're damn right it's wrong. It's the one opportunity OU has to market baseball to the masses and they're overshadowing it with a freaking exhibition football game. It's crap.

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 04:39 PM
Dude, there are TWO GAMES in the years that more than 2,000 OU fans go to. They are the Saturday and Sunday night games of OU-OSU.

You're damn right it's wrong. It's the one opportunity OU has to market baseball to the masses and they're overshadowing it with a freaking exhibition football game. It's crap.

I don't see how the game being earlier in the day can do nothing but help. I've been to the red/white game for who knows how many years, and if there is baseball game they always announce it at the red white game. I even think last year it was held during a baseball game.

I'm just trying to say that the people who go to the scrimmage are not the same people that will go bedlam baseball, and if there are they have pleanty of time to do both if they want. Being on the same day isn't going to effect the turnout for either probably, if anything it would help turnout at the baseball IMO.

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 04:45 PM
I'm just trying to say that the people who go to the scrimmage are not the same people that will go OU-OSU baseball, and if there are they have pleanty of time to do both if they want. Being on the same day isn't going to effect the turnout for either probably, if anything it would help turnout at the baseball IMO.

We'll see. I think you're wrong. The people who show up for baseball games normally (2K or so) will show up. The rest will go to the football game, get drunk and not show up for the baseball game. I think it will definitely hurt attendance. I hope I'm wrong.

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 04:52 PM
We'll see. I think you're wrong. The people who show up for baseball games normally (2K or so) will show up. The rest will go to the football game, get drunk and not show up for the baseball game. I think it will definitely hurt attendance. I hope I'm wrong.

Well I'll be going to the football game and not the baseball game if that's any consolation to you. I'm sure there will be a good enough turnout. Like you said it's the biggest game of the year for OU baseball, I'm sure the fans aren't going to miss out on it.

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 04:54 PM
Well I'll be going to the football game and not the baseball game if that's any consolation to you. I'm sure there will be a good enough turnout. Like you said it's the biggest game of the year for OU baseball, I'm sure the fans aren't going to miss out on it.

Baseball fans won't miss it. Football fans will. That's the problem.

Sooner11JK
1/18/2011, 05:23 PM

This is a sad statement. So far only one poll has come out and OU was preseason #6. I would be willing to bet anyone on here that Baseball America will have us in the top 5 (hint: don't bet me on it, you'll lose). So we'll have a top 5 team on campus and there are people that will say "I don't care". Not just that they are indifferent, flat out don't care.

Personally, I can't wait until baseball season starts. I am pumped about the Homerun Club Banquet next week. It's going to be a great introduction for some new Sooners and a re-introduction to those who have returned.

We open the season with an 8-game (albeit cold) homestand. I'll be there shivering my nuts off. I know Indy will be there for at least a few of them. Then there is the April 5th game with OSU coming to L. Dale. How awesome is that going to be?

Fired up!

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 05:43 PM
This is a sad statement. So far only one poll has come out and OU was preseason #6. I would be willing to bet anyone on here that Baseball America will have us in the top 5 (hint: don't bet me on it, you'll lose). So we'll have a top 5 team on campus and there are people that will say "I don't care". Not just that they are indifferent, flat out don't care.

Personally, I can't wait until baseball season starts. I am pumped about the Homerun Club Banquet next week. It's going to be a great introduction for some new Sooners and a re-introduction to those who have returned.

We open the season with an 8-game (albeit cold) homestand. I'll be there shivering my nuts off. I know Indy will be there for at least a few of them. Then there is the April 5th game with OSU coming to L. Dale. How awesome is that going to be?

Fired up!

It has nothing to do with OU baseball, just baseball in general. Too slow and boring for me. One of the few sports I don't like for some reason. I'm happy for all the OU athletics when they do well. I even like seeing the men's gymnastics team win the NC the past few years, did I ever go to a meet? No. I just think a sport where more than half of your players are just standing there on any giving play is kinda boring. Heard this the other day, football is a sport, baseball is just a game. I'll be done in the baseball thread cause I don't want to **** anyone off. Hope they can live up to the preseason hype so far.

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 07:06 PM
It has nothing to do with OU baseball, just baseball in general. Too slow and boring for me. One of the few sports I don't like for some reason. I'm happy for all the OU athletics when they do well. I even like seeing the men's gymnastics team win the NC the past few years, did I ever go to a meet? No. I just think a sport where more than half of your players are just standing there on any giving play is kinda boring. Heard this the other day, football is a sport, baseball is just a game. I'll be done in the baseball thread cause I don't want to **** anyone off. Hope they can live up to the preseason hype so far.

Quick question: Why the hell did you come over to the baseball board if you don't like baseball?

Just curious.

I will say, it's stunts like this one that have my donations to the baseball program up and to the football program down.

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 07:14 PM
Quick question: Why the hell did you come over to the baseball board if you don't like baseball?

Just curious.

I will say, it's stunts like this one that have my donations to the baseball program up and to the football program down.

I don't really ever go to the threads, just click on new post. And I started posting in this thread because it was about the red white game. Sorry I don't like baseball and it affecting your donations. I will say though that your money will probably be going to better use if you give it to the baseball or more importantly education. Football already has enough money anyways.
Btw, idk if you can call my participation in this thread a "stunt", whatever though.

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 08:25 PM
Was talking about the AD stunt, not you. Nor are you the reason that I give less to the football program.

hvhurricane
1/18/2011, 10:27 PM
Just another tired example of how the marketing department works at OU.

bcolston15
1/19/2011, 01:56 PM
I would think ultimately the "blame" for this situation falls to Bob Stoops. He sets the practice schedule for the football team, not the athletic department.

I think the crowd for the OU-OSU game will still be good, especially if we're having the kind of season we expect to have. Chances are, very few people going to the spring game would go to the baseball game anyways.

And speaking specificially about the spring football game, and who attends, it's mostly weird fanatics who care more about the third string fullback than men's hoops or baseball.

I've been several times and am always excited to go until you actually get there and realize you showed up to watch a scrimmage between the second and third strings.

Somewhat off the point, I've always been jealous of "football schools" like LSU, Ole Miss, Florida St, Texas, Mississippi St, Nebraska, etc., etc., who draw well for football AND baseball. I don't know what the difference is?

rysooner
1/19/2011, 05:16 PM
I would think ultimately the "blame" for this situation falls to Bob Stoops. He sets the practice schedule for the football team, not the athletic department.

I think the crowd for the OU-OSU game will still be good, especially if we're having the kind of season we expect to have. Chances are, very few people going to the spring game would go to the baseball game anyways.

And speaking specificially about the spring football game, and who attends, it's mostly weird fanatics who care more about the third string fullback than men's hoops or baseball.

I've been several times and am always excited to go until you actually get there and realize you showed up to watch a scrimmage between the second and third strings.

Somewhat off the point, I've always been jealous of "football schools" like LSU, Ole Miss, Florida St, Texas, Mississippi St, Nebraska, etc., etc., who draw well for football ]AND/B] baseball. I don't know what the difference is?

I've often wondered the very same thing.....

TopDawg
1/19/2011, 06:14 PM
Somewhat off the point, I've always been jealous of "football schools" like LSU, Ole Miss, Florida St, Texas, Mississippi St, Nebraska, etc., etc., who draw well for football AND baseball. I don't know what the difference is?

Wow. I wondered the same thing so I looked up the numbers for 2010. We were 49th last year in average attendance with 1,138 per game. Even if we doubled that we'd only move up to 2,276 per game which would put us at 28. Tripled? That's 3,414...good enough for 14th, right between Florida and Rice. The folks at the top of the list are putting up ridiculous numbers...like LSU with 10,673 per game. Arkie, Ole Miss, S. Carolina, Texas and Miss. St. are all above 6,000.

At first glance I'm inclined to think it's a regional thing. In the top 30 of attendance, there are only 7 teams that aren't in the South or Texas (Wichita State, Arizona State, Hawaii, Virginia, Nebraska, Oregon and Oregon State).

Wichita State and Arizona State are baseball schools, and there's nothing else to do in Lincoln. Could you consider Virginia to be a baseball school too? Not sure about their history.

Anyway, the regional thing only shows that it's a trend...doesn't really explain it. I guess baseball is just more popular in those areas of the country? Kinda surprising that it's THAT much more popular.

setem
1/19/2011, 08:12 PM
WHY THE **** DID THEY MOVE IT TO APRIL????

bcolston15
1/19/2011, 08:26 PM
Wow. I wondered the same thing so I looked up the numbers for 2010. We were 49th last year in average attendance with 1,138 per game. Even if we doubled that we'd only move up to 2,276 per game which would put us at 28. Tripled? That's 3,414...good enough for 14th, right between Florida and Rice. The folks at the top of the list are putting up ridiculous numbers...like LSU with 10,673 per game. Arkie, Ole Miss, S. Carolina, Texas and Miss. St. are all above 6,000.

At first glance I'm inclined to think it's a regional thing. In the top 30 of attendance, there are only 7 teams that aren't in the South or Texas (Wichita State, Arizona State, Hawaii, Virginia, Nebraska, Oregon and Oregon State).

Wichita State and Arizona State are baseball schools, and there's nothing else to do in Lincoln. Could you consider Virginia to be a baseball school too? Not sure about their history.

Anyway, the regional thing only shows that it's a trend...doesn't really explain it. I guess baseball is just more popular in those areas of the country? Kinda surprising that it's THAT much more popular.

So, a school with an enrollment of 27,000 students, located in a metro area with a population well over one million averaged 1,138 fans per game?

That's a pretty miniscule chunk of what could be there.

Ruf/Nek7
1/19/2011, 09:31 PM
Do these attendance numbers count the fans outside the stadium, along the outfields?

Sooner11JK
1/19/2011, 10:10 PM
Do these attendance numbers count the fans outside the stadium, along the outfields?

Only when they fence it off and charge admission during the post-season.

IndySooner
1/20/2011, 09:56 AM

Nope. Those 20-30 people are not included in those numbers.

IndySooner
1/20/2011, 09:56 AM
WHY THE **** DID THEY MOVE IT TO APRIL????

I was wondering that, too. Has been Mother's Day weekend for quite a while.

rysooner
1/20/2011, 12:17 PM
I decided quite a while ago that we will never draw large crowds on a consistant basis. I'm not trying to be negative, just stating what appears to be a fact that has proven itself to me after many years of watching this program.

SOONER STEAKER
1/24/2011, 11:25 PM
It's nice to have a nice team, but L. Dale Mitchell is one the of worst fan friendly stadiums in the Big 12. I'll watch OU/OSU when it comes to the Brick where I can chug a beer sitting in the back of the truck on the 7th floor.

IndySooner
1/27/2011, 04:47 PM
It's nice to have a nice team, but L. Dale Mitchell is one the of worst fan friendly stadiums in the Big 12. I'll watch OU/OSU when it comes to the Brick where I can chug a beer sitting in the back of the truck on the 7th floor.

Huh? What's not fan friendly about L. Dale Mitchell? Please back this up. Which parks have you been to in the Big 12?

Sooner11JK
1/27/2011, 07:56 PM

I'm with Indy on this one. Is it because you can't drink beer in the stadium? You can't do that in any of the Big XII parks. Baylor's is nice. Disch-Faulk was a ****box, a big one, but still a ****box until their recent renovation. K-State's is a glorified HS stadium. Kansas' park is only neat because it sits right next to the Phog. The only thing worse than a day game at Mizzou is a night game at Mizzou. Allie Reynolds is HORRIBLE. Texas A&M has a great park. Nebraska's is a great minor league park because they share it with a minor league team. As far as settings go, I think L. Dale is one of, if not the best setting in the Big XII. I have to ask, when was the last time you attended a game in Norman? The new video screen is by far the best in the conference. They are working very hard to make it a destination ballpark. In a couple more years L. Dale will be an incredible place to watch a game. Right now it's a great setting to watch an exciting brand of baseball. Your comment was not only inaccurate but way out of line. Plus, now Indy is going to give even less money to the football team.

bcolston15
1/27/2011, 10:44 PM
I'm with Indy on this one. Is it because you can't drink beer in the stadium? You can't do that in any of the Big XII parks. Baylor's is nice. Disch-Faulk was a ****box, a big one, but still a ****box until their recent renovation. K-State's is a glorified HS stadium. Kansas' park is only neat because it sits right next to the Phog. The only thing worse than a day game at Mizzou is a night game at Mizzou. Allie Reynolds is HORRIBLE. Texas A&M has a great park. Nebraska's is a great minor league park because they share it with a minor league team. As far as settings go, I think L. Dale is one of, if not the best setting in the Big XII. I have to ask, when was the last time you attended a game in Norman? The new video screen is by far the best in the conference. They are working very hard to make it a destination ballpark. In a couple more years L. Dale will be an incredible place to watch a game. Right now it's a great setting to watch an exciting brand of baseball. Your comment was not only inaccurate but way out of line. Plus, now Indy is going to give even less money to the football team.

Preach on, brother! Amen.

IndySooner
1/27/2011, 11:38 PM
Plus, now Indy is going to give even less money to the football team.

Nah, I can't give any less to keep my season tickets! :)

Ardmore_Sooner
1/28/2011, 01:10 AM
Guys, ignore Steaker. He trolls over here after losses and is a permanent hater of Coach G.

TumbleweedDoom
1/28/2011, 10:38 AM
Guys, ignore Steaker. He trolls over here after losses and is a permanent hater of Coach G.

Plus, he evidently dropped the 'r' from his last name ... either that, or he's extremely confident in his cooking ability of steaks.

rysooner
1/28/2011, 11:53 AM

Just shows he's more interested in drinking beer than watching college baseball.

yermom
1/28/2011, 12:09 PM
who isn't? :D

(another "new posts" poster)

i've never actually been to a game... what's the situation with student tickets? when does the season start?

Sooner11JK
1/28/2011, 01:00 PM
who isn't? :D

(another "new posts" poster)

i've never actually been to a game... what's the situation with student tickets? when does the season start?

Students get into the games for free with student ID.

Here is the schedule:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/okla-m-basebl-sched.html

SOONER STEAKER
1/28/2011, 01:56 PM
I've buried the hatchet with SG. I just wish the AD would come thru with stands on the 3rd and 1st base burms so that fans can get right on top of the action. They've been talking about it for years, it's time to come thru.

I may have been a little hasty saying that LDM isn't fan friendly, it's just not as fan friendly as I'd like it to be.

PS: How can you enjoy a game without nachos and a couple of cold ones, back in the early 80's, you could bring beer into the park, we sat right next to the OU bench and it was awesome.

BOOMER

NickDangerThirdEye
1/29/2011, 01:46 AM
I've buried the hatchet with SG. I just wish the AD would come thru with stands on the 3rd and 1st base burms so that fans can get right on top of the action. They've been talking about it for years, it's time to come thru.

I may have been a little hasty saying that LDM isn't fan friendly, it's just not as fan friendly as I'd like it to be.

PS: How can you enjoy a game without nachos and a couple of cold ones, back in the early 80's, you could bring beer into the park, we sat right next to the OU bench and it was awesome.

BOOMER

Do you go to football games? Where do you buy the beer there?

SOONER STEAKER
1/30/2011, 12:41 AM
Up in the "O" club, not a better place to watch a game on circuit TV with buckets full of beer.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/30/2011, 02:35 AM
Boomer Sooner! (unless there isn't any alcohol, because... Ya know.... I can't go to games otherwise...)

Collier11
2/15/2011, 11:31 PM
Im a huge baseball fan but Pat Jones has it right, college baseball is a sport for family and friends...thats just the way it is, there arent a lot of true college baseball fans.

I absolutely love OU baseball and follow every game either in person on online, but im not everyone

bri
2/16/2011, 01:22 AM
This may be the dumbest thread in the two-decade history of Soonerfans.com. That's impressive.

Sooner74
2/16/2011, 04:16 AM
Let us who love baseball enjoy it. There are plenty of people that just don't get it. To me it brings joy, great weather, and a great fun-filled time. It is a shame most people don't spend time to understand baseball and realize that it's such a beautiful game.

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 09:07 AM
Here's the deal with baseball haters:

They're pretty much just ADD. Or retards.

They have to be entertained NOW, on every pitch. When a count goes full, and the batter fouls off the next 4 pitches they're outta here. If it's in the 7th, with a 0-0 score and only 3 hits in the game they're outta here. Actually, they're outta here in the 1st when both teams went 3-up, 3-down. They can go home and play it on their video games and hit 27 homers in the first inning. Meh.

These cretins just don't understand the beauty of a well-pitched game. The drama of a 9th inning comeback. The science of game management (if everybody ain't swinging for the fences, I'm outta here...). The awesomeness of a perfectly executed hit and run or suicide squeeze. The beauty of a perfect double play.

They just don't get it, and never will. I've given up on these morons personally. Go swill your beer and play baseball with yourself on your wii. You are missing out on the purest sport there is. Maybe I feel this way because baseball was the sport that I was best at. Maybe I feel this way because I am old enough to have seen Bob Gibson pitch, and my very first book I remember reading multiple times was "From Ghetto to Glory" that Gibby wrote. Maybe it's because I used to read about Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Dizzy Dean, Christy Mathewson, and Babe Ruth instead of doing my math homework.

Whatever it is, I don't care. I LOVE baseball, and feel sorry for the nimrods who see it as a boring sport. They're missing out on so much.

olevetonahill
2/16/2011, 09:26 AM
Howard Cosell " BaseBall is a dull and uninspiring sport"
Or pretty close to that. Who remembers it?:D

Soonerwake
2/16/2011, 10:40 AM

I don't see any way that this hurts attendance at the baseball game. People who are going to the baseball game, will go to the baseball game, regardless of the spring football game that morning/afternoon. It's not like there is a bevy of tailgates for the spring game anyway..

I guess I just don't see the problem. Maybe you're just being a little sensitive about the perceived lack of attention for the minor sports.. :D

IndySooner
2/16/2011, 03:04 PM
I don't see any way that this hurts attendance at the baseball game. People who are going to the baseball game, will go to the baseball game, regardless of the spring football game that morning/afternoon. It's not like there is a bevy of tailgates for the spring game anyway..

I guess I just don't see the problem. Maybe you're just being a little sensitive about the perceived lack of attention for the minor sports.. :D

I've already talked to eight people who typically attend Bedlam baseball that won't on Saturday this year because of the spring game. I think it will hurt attendance.

That said, as good as we're expected to be, attendance may be up anyway, which is a good thing. Also, the AD has shown me in a few things they're doing (upgrading seating, talk of stadium expansion, baseball specific marketing, etc.) that they're starting to put more into this program, so I'll quit complaining about that for now.

IndySooner
2/16/2011, 03:05 PM
Im a huge baseball fan but Pat Jones has it right, college baseball is a sport for family and friends...thats just the way it is, there arent a lot of true college baseball fans.

I absolutely love OU baseball and follow every game either in person on online, but im not everyone

It's growing. Believe it or not, it's growing. It's a hidden gem that people are starting to notice.

NormanPride
2/16/2011, 03:08 PM
When do the tickets for those games go on sale?

TopDawg
2/16/2011, 03:13 PM
Here's the deal with baseball haters:

They're pretty much just ADD. Or retards.

They have to be entertained NOW, on every pitch. When a count goes full, and the batter fouls off the next 4 pitches they're outta here. If it's in the 7th, with a 0-0 score and only 3 hits in the game they're outta here. Actually, they're outta here in the 1st when both teams went 3-up, 3-down. They can go home and play it on their video games and hit 27 homers in the first inning. Meh.

These cretins just don't understand the beauty of a well-pitched game. The drama of a 9th inning comeback. The science of game management (if everybody ain't swinging for the fences, I'm outta here...). The awesomeness of a perfectly executed hit and run or suicide squeeze. The beauty of a perfect double play.

They just don't get it, and never will. I've given up on these morons personally. Go swill your beer and play baseball with yourself on your wii. You are missing out on the purest sport there is. Maybe I feel this way because baseball was the sport that I was best at. Maybe I feel this way because I am old enough to have seen Bob Gibson pitch, and my very first book I remember reading multiple times was "From Ghetto to Glory" that Gibby wrote. Maybe it's because I used to read about Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Dizzy Dean, Christy Mathewson, and Babe Ruth instead of doing my math homework.

Whatever it is, I don't care. I LOVE baseball, and feel sorry for the nimrods who see it as a boring sport. They're missing out on so much.

Those same people also don't like to see defense in football or basketball.

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 03:16 PM
It's growing. Believe it or not, it's growing. It's a hidden gem that people are starting to notice.

You wanna know what would make college ball really take off?

Wooden bats.

Games would be ~2-hours or so instead of the 4-hour 16-12 marathons we sometimes see. We'd see a ton of 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 type games which to me are ALWAYS much better than a 22-17 fiasco. Also, the "ping" of a bat just doesn't carry the same feeling/drama the "crack" does.

TumbleweedDoom
2/16/2011, 03:25 PM

Wooden bats.

Games would be ~2-hours or so instead of the 4-hour 16-12 marathons we sometimes see. We'd see a ton of 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 type games which to me are ALWAYS much better than a 22-17 fiasco. Also, the "ping" of a bat just doesn't carry the same feeling/drama the "crack" does.

The new bats and the supposed "pitch clock" might move things along a little faster this year. I don't get too worked up about 3-3 1/2 hour games, but when they push into the 4-hour range with 30 runs between two teams, that's when I even get antsy. Luckily, those haven't been NEAR as prevalent in even the past decade as they had been earlier. Unfortunately, college baseball acquired that reputation early and has never really shook it.

I don't know if you guys noticed, but Rivals.com has quit covering college baseball, except for a wire story here or there. Longtime correspondent Kendall Rogers has moved on. Evidently Rivals felt there was no money to be made in it ...

yermom
2/16/2011, 04:47 PM

Wooden bats.

that ding just isn't right

bri
2/16/2011, 05:41 PM
I've already talked to eight people who typically attend OU-OSU baseball that won't on Saturday this year because of the spring game. I think it will hurt attendance.

You're telling me that your friends can't make it from Norman to Oklahoma City in 2.5 hours?

Collier11
2/16/2011, 05:43 PM
To the original point, there is absolutely NO WAY that the spring game hurts the baseball games attendance unless people just dont GAS

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 06:36 PM
I wasn't going to address the OP's concerns, but hell, I may as well.

Anyone who was going to go to the baseball game will still go. Those that weren't, still won't. Ragging out Joe C. over it is kinda dumb. I'd even be willing to wager that there'll be more OU fans than usual there - especially if our season is going the way it oughta be. You give me a choice between a football scrimmage, and a baseball game I'll be at the game every time (or course being an OU fan I'm planning to be at both). I'm just hoping I'm back in OK by then.

hvhurricane
2/16/2011, 07:10 PM
I wasn't going to address the OP's concerns, but hell, I may as well.

Anyone who was going to go to the baseball game will still go. Those that weren't, still won't. Ragging out Joe C. over it is kinda dumb. I'd even be willing to wager that there'll be more OU fans than usual there - especially if our season is going the way it oughta be. You give me a choice between a football scrimmage, and a baseball game I'll be at the game every time (or course being an OU fan I'm planning to be at both). I'm just hoping I'm back in OK by then.

Yes, if our season is going as expected, there will be more bandwagon fans there than normal. Yes, I hope this does occur. And, yes, it is a horrible move by the athletic department.

Collier11
2/16/2011, 08:11 PM
I would love for those who think it is a bad idea to give me 1 legitimate reason why? I havent seen one yet, unless you count whining as a legit reason...

Sooner11JK
2/16/2011, 08:33 PM
I would love for those who think it is a bad idea to give me 1 legitimate reason why? I havent seen one yet, unless you count whining as a legit reason...

Okay, I'll bite. One legitimate reason? Instead of getting their hunnydoos done and hanging out with the family most of the day, they will spend the better part of their day in Norman. That will reduce the number of people that are willing to make the wife mad enough to be gone all night as well. When you think about it that would end up being a day that starts around early to mid morning and doesn't end until most likely close to 11pm if not later. That's why it was a bad idea. Most people just aren't willing to do that and the ones that aren't are going to choose the scrimmage over the baseball game EVERYTIME. There is a chance that if the team is living up to its potential by that time, that the spring game could help attendance by giving the AD a chance to market the Saturday night and Sunday games, however, I think that most of the people that would have attended one event that day will still only attend one event and baseball will lose.

bcolston15
2/17/2011, 12:48 AM

Still feel the same way about this. Kinda surprised it has people fired up.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 09:17 AM
It's a little rough around the edges, but it's worth posting. Sorry bri.

"Look, let me explain something to you jacknuts. When April rolls around there will be 10 different sports going on, and that's not counting football. You think having a football game at 2 and a baseball game at 7:30 is a conflict? Try having three or more sports going on around campus at the same time, 'cause that's what most days are like in the spring. Are you people gonna have pink panty meltdowns every time there's baseball and softball overlapping? Or when the women's gymnastics regional at the LNC takes valuable parking spaces away from the less than 1,000 fans who show up for a baseball series against teams not named Texas? Just STGDFU and go to the baseball game. Or don't go. Just stop being bitches about it.

JFC."

One thing you OUI guys need to understand is that if nothing else, we're passionate over here at SF.com. And by passionate I mean sometimes we're offensive and ****. Nobody should take the type of tirade above seriously - or maybe I should say personally because I know bri, and bri is a nice guy. He does makes a very good point.

There'll be plenty of OU fans at the Brick that night. The scrimmage will not detract from attendance one iota. And if you're married to a yainch who won't let you spend one effing Saturday in the Spring at multiple OU events may I suggest you dump her ***?

TumbleweedDoom
2/17/2011, 09:51 AM
You're right: Bri sounds like a sparkling human being.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 10:13 AM
You're right: Bri sounds like a sparkling human being.

So, what makes one a sparkling human being in your opinion?

TumbleweedDoom
2/17/2011, 11:43 AM
Pie: whether they have some to share or not.

btk108
2/17/2011, 12:03 PM
So, what makes one a sparkling human being in your opinion?

Lots and lots of glitter

btk108
2/17/2011, 12:13 PM
Just booked a room with a ballpark view at the Hampton Inn. I'll be at the Spring Game AND Bedlam (enjoying an adult beverage in my room) :D

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 12:19 PM
Pie: whether they have some to share or not.

Perfect answer. You'll fit in nicely over here.

badger
2/17/2011, 01:33 PM
I'm just now tuning into this thread... does anyone else remember the weather during the spring game last year? Doesn't matter what day the games are scheduled for if that happens again :(

Ardmore_Sooner
2/17/2011, 03:18 PM
Perfect answer. You'll fit in nicely over here.

Deano, Tumbleweed is one of the nicest guys I know. No homo. Some of us are just a little psychotic about our OU baseball.

And FYI, only 1 more day folks!

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:32 PM
Oh I'm sure he is. So is bri. I think the OUI guys just haven't quite adjusted yet to the SF.com brand of cordial conversation. I'm sure it'll all work out well.

Hope to see you at some of the games. I'm stuck in DC until April 3 though. I will be coming home every third weekend and I'll be catching some of the games when I can. This should be a year to remember...

Ardmore_Sooner
2/17/2011, 03:33 PM
Dean, go to KREFs website they will have most of the games broadcasting and if you have a smart phone you can stream the games through that.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 04:07 PM
I'll be able to catch this weekend's action on SS.com according to bri. Looking forward to it.

bri
2/17/2011, 07:14 PM
So far I'm hearing that people who are "going to the baseball game" are watching from the parking garage or a room at the Hampton. So, which is worse to the zealots: People not going or people who are in the vicinity but don't buy a ticket, sit in the stands and actually support the team? I'd rather people not show up at all.

btk108
2/17/2011, 07:23 PM
So far I'm hearing that people who are "going to the baseball game" are watching from the parking garage or a room at the Hampton. So, which is worse to the zealots: People not going or people who are in the vicinity but don't buy a ticket, sit in the stands and actually support the team? I'd rather people not show up at all.

I'll be the room with the OU flag in the window, bite me.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/17/2011, 08:23 PM

I hate the club seats and press box at the football games. Those people outta just stay home. Cause that's basically what you're saying.

Gaius_Longinus
2/17/2011, 09:45 PM
It is all about my signature folks

bri
2/18/2011, 04:41 AM
I hate the club seats and press box at the football games. Those people outta just stay home. Cause that's basically what you're saying.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. 'Cause people who are actually inside the stadium are exactly the same as people who aren't.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/18/2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. 'Cause people who are actually inside the stadium are exactly the same as people who aren't.

Yeah cause people sitting in the press box and club seats are making enough noise to warrant being at the football game. Dont get ne wrong, i could care less if someone sits in the presser or elsewhere, but to say you'd rather people just not come than sit in the parking garage is pretty stupid. At least those people have made the effort to attend the game, whether they've purchased a ticket or not.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 09:16 AM
Oh I don't know. Several years back our very own Boarder invited me up to the East side fancy seats for a Mizzou football game. It was very much appreciated, and very cool, but it wasn't even like being at an OU game.

Seriously, when everyone outside was standing with their finger in the air doing the "OOOOOOOOOOO" before the opening kick, most of the people up there were watching the OSU/TTU game on the TV, and several of the women were engaged in a lovely conversation that went something like "so, did you make it to affair of the heart this year darling?" "no precious, I was on a 30-day Mediterranean cruise with Arthur..." Meh. Trophy wives, uninterested lawyer types, and a few cool people like Boarder and me.

I was going to purchase seats up there for the A/C and better choice of food (steak sandwiches instead of hot dogs, etc.) but I'm glad I had that opportunity to sit there before I pulled the trigger.

Of course out in the cheap seats I've gotta listen to "****ing Stoops, you suck Venables, galdamn you Wilson you POS" ad nauseum, so it's no picnic either.

Anyhow, I've watched hundreds of OU baseball games from the berm, and only started buying tickets to sit inside maybe 5-6 years ago. If you're actually there for the game, inside is MUCH better. If you're there for the beer, not so much.

btk108
2/18/2011, 09:33 AM
must be me then...I like the berm

bri
2/18/2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah cause people sitting in the press box and club seats are making enough noise to warrant being at the football game.

Um, no one in the press box is allowed to cheer.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/18/2011, 11:41 AM
Um, no one in the press box is allowed to cheer.

Ok, that still doesn't answer my question referring to the club seats. Sounds like you'd rather people not sit on the berm either, cause they didn't buy a ticket right?

TopDawg
2/18/2011, 11:53 AM
I'd rather people sit in the stadium (buy a ticket) than sit on the berm. But I'd rather them sit on the berm (and cheer) than stay at home.

To get back to the original post, if you wanna know what the Athletic Department cares about, it's making money. (So they likewise would rather people sit in the stadium than on the berm or in an adjacent parking garage or hotel.) Knowing this, I doubt they would've made the decision to have these events on the same day if they thought it would have a significant negative impact on the ticket sales of either one.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 11:54 AM
gigzackerly.

TopDawg
2/18/2011, 12:05 PM
Also, you have to remember that these decisions are not made in a vacuum. It's not like the AD said "Let's see, we can have the spring game on any Saturday in April. Let's choose the one with the OSU baseball game." There are logistical concerns too.

On April 2, the baseball team and women's gymnastics teams are both hosting events in Norman.

April 9, softball has an afternoon game in Norman.

April 16, track & field is hosting a meet.

April 23, softball and baseball both have afternoon games.

April 9 and 16 are the only Saturdays in April when the athletic department isn't already hosting two other events. If you move it up to April 9, then you probably have to move the start of spring practice up one week which would have it beginning during spring break. That doesn't seem to make much sense either.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/18/2011, 12:13 PM
I'd rather people sit in the stadium (buy a ticket) than sit on the berm. But I'd rather them sit on the berm (and cheer) than stay at home.

This