PDA

View Full Version : A humble request for those that have teenagers

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 10:55 PM
I don't go to the movies often, but I can say without exaggeration that at least the last 4 films I have been to have been marred by 17 year old dipsh!ts talking throughout the entire movie. I don't know if it's that today's kids have no regard for those around them, if they have ADD and are out of ritalin, if they're trying to impress their fat little girlfriends, or what. But please, if you have teenagers, I ask that you please tell them when they go to the movies they should sit down and shut the f**k up. It's not that difficult to sit quietly for two hours and enjoy a film that you paid $9 per ticket to see.

Cheers and good evening.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2011, 10:58 PM
I don't go to the movies often, but I can say without exaggeration that at least the last 4 films I have been to have been marred by 17 year old dipsh!ts talking throughout the entire movie. I don't know if it's that today's kids have no regard for those around them, if they have ADD and are out of ritalin, if they're trying to impress their fat little girlfriends, or what. But please, if you have teenagers, I ask that you please tell them when they go to the movies they should sit down and shut the f**k up. It's not that difficult to sit quietly for two hours and enjoy a film that you paid $9 per ticket to see.

Cheers and good evening.

This! I was at a movie last year when this group of 7-8 teenagers came in. They were loud, obnoxious, throwing popcorn at each other, and generally acting like they were raised in a barn.

Now, I'm a pretty small guy and aloof by nature but I had enough. It embarrassed the person I was with to no end, but I got up and walked over to the teens and said, "Would you all please shut the f'k up so you can save me the trouble of having to walk out and complain to the manager?"

They shut up.

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 11:00 PM
I really almost said something tonight but I just hate doing stuff like that when my wife's around.

sappstuf
1/16/2011, 11:01 PM

Cheers and good evening.

I'm surprised they had time to talk with all the texting....

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2011, 11:02 PM
I really almost said something tonight but I just hate doing stuff like that when my wife's around.

Every man reaches his limit at some point.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of teenagers. I can't stand them. The guys, when they're by themselves, aren't really too bad. A mixed group is pretty freakin' bad, but a group of just girls is the absolute worst.

Their table manners repulse me to no end. If I'm at a restaurant, and I'm sitting at a table facing a group of teens, I have to switch chairs so I can't see them eat. They're repulsive. Evidently the art of the proper use of a knife and fork is lost on the current generation.

Basically, teens shouldn't be allowed in polite society.

3rdgensooner
1/16/2011, 11:05 PM
I was going to post the "man shakes fist at sky" picture, but didn't feel like looking for it.

People talk through movies. The degree to which this happens may vary on movie subject. It will always be this way.

It's not unlike the morans that annoy you in the grocery check out line or the left lane slow drivers.

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 11:10 PM
I was going to post the "man shakes fist at sky" picture, but didn't feel like looking for it.

People talk through movies. The degree to which this happens may vary on movie subject. It will always be this way.

It's not unlike the morans that annoy you in the grocery check out line or the left lane slow drivers.

Once took my wife to see "The Changeling". Decent movie, not great, but if you've seen it you know there's not a lot of humor in it. In fact, there is some very disturbing f'd up stuff. Well some kid felt the need to laugh through 90% of it, including uproariously cutting up during some of the most heinous portions. That is probably the worst I've experienced, because I thought some people in the theater were literally going to beat the hell out of him. People were audibly calling him out and finally the kid just got up and left. I don't know if he was drunk, high, mentally disturbed, or just an a-hole

MR2-Sooner86
1/16/2011, 11:25 PM
EzxfivZF9Yk

Okla-homey
1/16/2011, 11:27 PM

Cheers and good evening.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, movie theaters had balconies. And that's where we sat as 'teens...mainly because you had a better chance at getting to second, or maybe third base up there than down in the main seating area.

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 11:28 PM
Now the balcony is where the rich folk sit ;)

MR2-Sooner86
1/16/2011, 11:30 PM
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, movie theaters had balconies. And that's where we sat as 'teens...mainly because you had a better chance at getting to second, or maybe third base up there than down in the main seating area.

Hell I do that stuff in the front row :pop:

proud gonzo
1/16/2011, 11:31 PM
I either throw candy at them or I get a manager to kick them out.

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 11:32 PM
Honestly I try to think about it from their point of view and I think they're just oblivious of how to act in public. If I said something it would be like punishing my dog for something he did 2 days ago.

yermom
1/17/2011, 04:52 AM
public ridicule is the way to go

i'm always pimping the Warren, but man, i never seem to have this problem there

Ctina
1/17/2011, 06:56 AM
I got stuck sitting next to a couple of teenage boys who kept talking and I ended up making the "Sst!" sound to them that I do to my dogs... It worked like a charm.

Hot Rod
1/17/2011, 07:55 AM
public ridicule is the way to go

i'm always pimping the Warren, but man, i never seem to have this problem there

The Warren doesn't play around, especially the times that I'm not sitting in the balcony. I've seen them confront people about texting during the movie.

The thing that gets me when sitting on the floor is, how in the world, can your feet be on the back of my chair, with all that legspace? When they do this, I start rocking my chair, moving their legs myself.

Finally, I don't get taking really little kids (age 1 or 2) to a non-children's movie. Saw one guy brought their kid and the kid walked up and down the stairs throughout the movie, before an usher told the parent to sit their kid down.

SoCaliSooner
1/17/2011, 08:53 AM
That's part of the reason why I enjoy watching films on PPV at home. The last time I went to a theater was for Wedding Crashers.

1890MilesToNorman
1/17/2011, 09:00 AM
I think the teen age years run until 30 these days? The 20 something generation is no better then 14 year olds as far as I can tell.

OUinFLA
1/17/2011, 09:31 AM
no problem at the Cobb down here.
One complaint to the manager, gets them tossed from the movie.
Only place I'll go.
but, I prefer PPV movies and I don't mind waiting for them to be on PPV

soonervegas
1/17/2011, 11:47 AM
I think the teen age years run until 30 these days? The 20 something generation is no better then 14 year olds as far as I can tell.

This may be part of the issue. I really don't think teens have changed that much since I was one 20+ years ago. We were obnoxious back then too.

Now I just avoid going to movies when I know unruly teens will be there (looking at you Quail and Harkins on the weekends)

Warren keeps it pretty much in check....

soonerchk
1/17/2011, 11:48 AM
Most of the annoying talkers I encounter at movie theaters are well past their teen years, and the rules do not apply to them.

reflector
1/17/2011, 11:50 AM
I can honestly say that I don't have teenagers.

A Sooner in Texas
1/17/2011, 01:13 PM
Obnoxious movie talkers come in all ages. We took my kids to movies beginning when they were very young and taught them how to behave. Never had a complaint about either of them. Now I can't whisper something to my 17-year-old in a theater without him shushing me.

soonerbrat
1/17/2011, 01:20 PM
There are some good teenagers out there. Like mine.

Breadburner
1/17/2011, 01:45 PM
I had to tell a buddy to shut the **** up at True Grit......

soonerbrat
1/17/2011, 02:38 PM
yeah, i have a friend that's real bad about talking during movies. one time a lady in front of us turned around and told her to shut up, then that lady's phone rang. real loud. i thought that was hilarious.

soonerchk
1/17/2011, 02:40 PM
I had to tell a buddy to shut the **** up at True Grit......

Is he a teenager?

Tin Cup
1/17/2011, 04:19 PM
This is why I paid top dollar for my home theater system. I rent or buy PPV movies, microwave popcorn, adult beverage so I dont have to listen to people talking, phones ringing, babies crying. And I can pause and go pissed when necessary.

Hell I don't even know what it cost to go to movie theater nowadays.

3rdgensooner
1/17/2011, 04:29 PM
This is why I paid top dollar for my home theater system. I rent or buy PPV movies, microwave popcorn, adult beverage so I dont have to listen to people talking, phones ringing, babies crying. And I can pause and go pissed when necessary.
You just don't want to get dressed.

waynepayne
1/17/2011, 04:30 PM

why are you angry?

yermom
1/17/2011, 04:31 PM

it's too much :D

it's still nice to hit the real theater sometimes though. things like Avatar (i know, i know) and Inception are worth seeing in the theater

soonerchk
1/17/2011, 04:32 PM
You just don't want to put on pants.

fixed it for someone somewhere

GKeeper316
1/17/2011, 04:42 PM
step 1. download and install torrent downloader
step 2. google [movie title] torrent
step 3. download movie
step 4. plug your tv into your video card
step 4. watch freely downloaded movie on 47 inch flat screen in the comfort of your own home.

soonerhubs
1/17/2011, 05:39 PM
it's too much :D

it's still nice to hit the real theater sometimes though. things like Avatar (i know, i know) and Inception are worth seeing in the theater

Agree 100%.

badger
1/17/2011, 06:58 PM
Haven't been a teen in years, but still giggle a lot during really stupid scenes (like the Harry/Hermione fake kiss in HP7). I limit my chatter to the movie trailers though. I will openly tell a movie that it sucks during that portion. After telling about a dozen movies that they suck, I have all of the talking out of my system for the next 90-200 minutes :D

C&CDean
1/17/2011, 07:13 PM
Haven't been a teen in years, but still giggle a lot during really stupid scenes (like the Harry/Hermione fake kiss in HP7). I limit my chatter to the movie trailers though. I will openly tell a movie that it sucks during that portion. After telling about a dozen movies that they suck, I have all of the talking out of my system for the next 90-200 minutes :D

Fake kiss? Are you kidding me? I heard they shot that scene nekkid, and there was nothing fake about it. Well other than the avatar-like queer-assed animation sorta thingy. And it's "HP7a" missy. Go Pack!!

ouwino
1/17/2011, 10:27 PM
lots of alternatives:
1. ppv
2. net flix
3. dvd rental stores
4. red box
etc.

and they are all cheaper and the restroom is cleaner and the snacks dont cost as much

FirstandGoal
1/17/2011, 10:42 PM
I have a 17 year old son and trust me, they are as annoying in their own homes as they are out in public.
Teenagers are all idiots and the only cure is to wait about 10-15 years for them to get over it.

GottaHavePride
1/17/2011, 11:45 PM

Cheers and good evening.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/REexpert44/You_mad_grimace.jpg

sooner59
1/18/2011, 12:14 AM
I was in a packed theater in Norman a couple of years ago and this 35-45 year old guy's phone rang and the guy answered it. That pissed us all off right there. Then the guy talked for like 10 minutes...loudly. People would shoot looks when he got loud a few times, but it was infuriating. But nobody said anything to the guy.

....because he was about 6'6", 300 lbs, and black....and nobody else was. I afraid to clear my throat out of fear he may think I did it to shush him. :O