PDA

View Full Version : Why is College Football Season So Short?

lexsooner
1/16/2011, 04:28 PM
And MLB and NASCAR seasons so freakin long? College football is so fun and exciting and probably undermarketed. They could create a playoff system which would make the entire month of January bigger than March Madness or any other sporting playoffs, but some fuddy duddy old Rotary Club-type businessmen who run the bowls have gotten in the way of it all. Playoffs would make the pie even bigger and mean more money for everyone, including the bowls. What kind of small time, third rate stodgy businessmen would oppose the opportunity to make even more money and grow? I guess these guys are not exactly Bill Gates.

Hey, blink and MLB and NASCAR will be starting again. MLB is interesting during about two months: September and October. NASCAR is just above pro wrasslin in credibility and is exciting if you like Chevys and admire the advanced 40 year old carborator/push rod technology which should make all Americans proud.

sooner518
1/16/2011, 04:32 PM
MLB players probably burn about 200 calories in a game and rarely hit or touch another player. Human bodies can only take so much football. It's a violent game while MLB and NASCAR aren't at all

rekamrettuB
1/16/2011, 04:33 PM
If you are talking about the number of games it's the toll football takes on your body compared to those others. There's no other logical way to extend the season of football. Now if you mean the MLB, NASCAR, NBA, etc should be shortened then yes, I agree with you.

KantoSooner
1/16/2011, 05:05 PM
Football (along with basketball, soccer, etc.) are sports.

MLB is a game.

Nascar is a spectacle (like Knieval jumping over a canyon).

Football players need time to recuperate after the damage of a season. Participants in either of the others could play/race every three days from now until they were 83 and not miss a beat.

oudavid1
1/16/2011, 05:05 PM
because there still kids.

THE-JROD
1/16/2011, 05:16 PM
MLB players probably burn about 200 calories in a game and rarely hit or touch another player. Human bodies can only take so much football. It's a violent game while MLB and NASCAR aren't at all

http://cache.boston.com/multimedia/sports/bigshots/042109/bs19.jpg

http://www.seeitornot.faketrix.com/content/thrash-pics/page4/originals/Nascar-crash-Ryan-Newman-auto-racing-collision.jpeg

lexsooner
1/16/2011, 05:17 PM
Nascar is a spectacle (like Knieval jumping over a canyon).

LOL!

Leroy Lizard
1/16/2011, 05:55 PM
And MLB and NASCAR seasons so freakin long? College football is so fun and exciting and probably undermarketed. They could create a playoff system which would make the entire month of January bigger than March Madness or any other sporting playoffs, but some fuddy duddy old Rotary Club-type businessmen who run the bowls have gotten in the way of it all.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5843/178783.jpg

Thank God for Rotary Club fuddy duddies.

Memtig14
1/16/2011, 06:38 PM
The difference between Pro and amateur.

Curly Bill
1/16/2011, 06:44 PM
Baseball and NASCAR both suck, so it just seems like they last forever?

Ehhhh, I got nothin!

mainline13
1/16/2011, 07:23 PM
Sure seemed longer in the '90s.

Flagstaffsooner
1/16/2011, 07:26 PM
:D

lexsooner
1/16/2011, 07:27 PM

Ehhhh, I got nothin!

But the problem is they DO last forever, like most of the year. They are already advertising the Daytona 5000, so it must be starting up this winter, and I seem to remember it just ended late fall, so it has about a nine month or so season. MLB ends in early November and spring training starts in just a couple of months. By summer, nearly all baseball games have no bearing on the playoffs. The problem with NASCAR is its roots. They can dress it up all they want, but it is still Chevys and Dodges with ancient engine technology racing around a circle with some yahoo talking about getting too loose and tars needing changing and then when someone they don't want to win is leading they throw out some mysterious caution, like in pro wrasslin when the promoter of the bad guy interferes with the good guy's pin.

oudavid1
1/16/2011, 08:04 PM

so glad i was born in 92!

Flagstaffsooner
1/16/2011, 08:30 PM
But ya missed the 70's.;)

GDC
1/16/2011, 08:35 PM
You forgot golf. It sucks, and is virtually year round.

agoo758
1/16/2011, 09:04 PM
And MLB and NASCAR seasons so freakin long? College football is so fun and exciting and probably undermarketed. They could create a playoff system which would make the entire month of January bigger than March Madness or any other sporting playoffs, but some fuddy duddy old Rotary Club-type businessmen who run the bowls have gotten in the way of it all. Playoffs would make the pie even bigger and mean more money for everyone, including the bowls. What kind of small time, third rate stodgy businessmen would oppose the opportunity to make even more money and grow? I guess these guys are not exactly Bill Gates.

Hey, blink and MLB and NASCAR will be starting again. MLB is interesting during about two months: September and October. NASCAR is just above pro wrasslin in credibility and is exciting if you like Chevys and admire the advanced 40 year old carborator/push rod technology which should make all Americans proud.

If the college football season was as long as nascar or MLB, you would enjoy college football about as much as you did nascar or MLB.

Widescreen
1/16/2011, 09:36 PM
They are already advertising the Daytona 5000

:eek: How long will THAT take?

oubose
1/16/2011, 09:40 PM
How long is curling season??

lexsooner
1/16/2011, 10:45 PM
:eek: How long will THAT take?

Probably about the same time it takes them to develop modern racing technology. That's another problem with TRASHCAR. The races takes forever. Anyway, at its heart TRASHCAR is a backwater, Southern dirt track sport, and as much as they want to be in the big time, their small time roots seep through. And we have to endure nine or ten freakin months of this crap every year.

Curly Bill
1/16/2011, 10:49 PM
Probably about the same time it takes them to develop modern racing technology. That's another problem with TRASHCAR. The races takes forever. Anyway, at its heart TRASHCAR is a backwater, Southern dirt track sport, and as much as they want to be in the big time, their small time roots seep through. And we have to endure nine or ten freakin months of this crap every year.

I actually liked NASCAR when it knew what it was about. It's when they went all big-time I lost interest. The drivers all look and act alike, the cars all look alike. Gimme some Darrell Waltrip, Cale Yarborough, some real peeps that weren't put together in some corporate boardroom.

SOFSooner
1/17/2011, 05:27 AM
It seems that the college bowl games take as long to complete as a normal college football season.

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 11:26 AM
what about PRO basketball. the play-offs alone go on forever.

nascar cars all look alike because they're all the same. without the decals & paint, you couldn't tell a toyota from a ford.

the carburated,push rod engines are fine, they don't need to go any faster.
like they should have F-1 engines that'll turn 18 to 19 thousand rpm.

nascar was much better back when you could tell one brand from another.
they even resembled cars you would see on the street.

the only thing Ford in a nascar ford is money.

soonergirlNeugene
1/17/2011, 11:36 AM
Honestly I think when sport fans go to Hell, they are given a choice of watching either NASCAR or baseball for the rest of eternity. The lengthy seasons are just there to prepare us.

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 11:43 AM
lotsa folks like baseball & don't like to see the season end.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2011, 01:03 PM

NASCAR's problem is that it began marketing to women and kids. It's the hair band of sports.

stoopified
1/17/2011, 01:27 PM
because there still kids.

Yes they are kids but they are kids who play 14-15 games in a season in hs because of playoffs.Likewise if they play D-2,D-3,or FCS they will play 14-15 games a season.Apparently only FCS recruits kids who can't make it through playoffs because of academics or added physical stress.Bunch of wimps! :D

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 01:32 PM
nascar caters to morons. folks who don't have any problem with race being extended, so they get the right winner.

all they need is 2 laps.

also, if a driver starts running away from the field, here comes a "phantom" yellow. want to keep it as close as possible.

i still watch it (never a whole race) because i like motor sports in general.

i prefer drags, but they've screwed with that also. all cars in any clas are virtually identical to all others in that class.

indy cars & F-1 are similar. the cars are mostly all the same.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2011, 01:44 PM
Apparently only FCS recruits kids who can't make it through playoffs because of academics or added physical stress.Bunch of wimps! :D

You do realize that FCS has teams that refuse to participate in the playoffs for these exact reasons.

usaosooner
1/17/2011, 02:19 PM
Would be awesome if in the Spring we had "RS + Freshman "scrimmages" with OSU and Tulsa... Two of those "scrimmages" open to the public would bring bank

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2011, 03:07 PM
Would be awesome if in the Spring we had "RS + Freshman "scrimmages" with OSU and Tulsa... Two of those "scrimmages" open to the public would bring bank

Bank? They got rid of freshman squads a long time ago.

usaosooner
1/17/2011, 06:30 PM
Bank? They got rid of freshman squads a long time ago.

The appetite for football has changed now... All The NCAA would need to do is sanction a week more worth of practices :gary:

THE-JROD
1/17/2011, 06:40 PM
Honestly I think when sport fans go to Hell, they are given a choice of watching either NASCAR or baseball for the rest of eternity. The lengthy seasons are just there to prepare us.

I think this is an arrogant thing to say!! I played college baseball for 2 years and loved every moment of it. I enjoy watchin MLB games as well. Just because you are maybe even half of these people on this board may hate watching baseball, I promise you that there are just as many of us that enjoy it!

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2011, 06:55 PM
The appetite for football has changed now... All The NCAA would need to do is sanction a week more worth of practices :gary:

The NCAA is going in the other direction, cutting back on practices. I think they should cut back even more.

:gary:
Indeed

ouwasp
1/17/2011, 07:11 PM
Do you think there should be less games? Less practices? Or both...

lexsooner
1/17/2011, 07:57 PM
If college football did develop a four or eight team playoff, that would be 15 or so games at the most for the teams which get to the title game. Right now some teams play 12 regular season games, a conference title game and then a bowl game for a total of 14 games. I don't see why they could not take a break for most of December and build up the anticipation for the playoffs and then get it on after the new year and play the games throughout January. That would be a five month season, comparable to the NFL.

And I do agree the NBA season lasts too long and most of the games are meaningless and too many teams make the playoffs. Worse yet, you can even tell they don't play 100 percent during the season. Just watch a playoff game and you can tell the difference in intensity. MLB should wrap it up in September. Football is starting, so MLB just gets in the way of the real sports coverage.

NASCAR can start in late winter and then wrap up at the end of summer, during which they can change the rules and throw out mysterious cautions in order to help some Chevy driver to win. Their fans love their college football as much as anything, so why prolong it into the fall when you have football and other real sports. Like I said, NASCAR has little credibility as a sport and is more of a spectacle which falls somewhere between real sports and pro wrasslin and tractor pulls, so why overdo it? Who wants to hear about gittin loose and needin new tars nine months out of the year?

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 07:57 PM

try not to watch stuff you don't like. or torture yourself. maybe you're already in hell & haven't realized it yet.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2011, 08:34 PM
If college football did develop a four or eight team playoff, that would be 15 or so games at the most for the teams which get to the title game. Right now some teams play 12 regular season games, a conference title game and then a bowl game for a total of 14 games. I don't see why they could not take a break for most of December and build up the anticipation for the playoffs and then get it on after the new year and play the games throughout January. That would be a five month season, comparable to the NFL.

NFL players don't go to class.

Football is strenuous. Players right now are having enough trouble passing their coursework, and we're advocating trashing their spring semester too?

If anything, we need to go in the other direction -- less emphasis on athletics, more emphasis on academics.

I Am Right
1/18/2011, 01:40 PM
Because it stops short those who what a playoff system.

TUSooner
1/18/2011, 02:05 PM

Ehhhh, I got nothin!

Baseball -- a thing of beauty -- only sucks for stupid people whose attention spans are even shorter than their weenises. Which explains your opinion!

;) :D

NASCAR does suck, of course. I'd rather watch a peewee basketball game.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/18/2011, 02:24 PM
Baseball -- a thing of beauty and steriods. --

:D