PDA

View Full Version : Question about penalty called in the Pitt-Balt game

SoonerRoy
1/16/2011, 12:42 AM
Just before the winning TD by the Steelers, they were stuffed on a run on 2nd and goal from the 4 yd line. As I understand the call, it was defensive holding by the Ravens on an O-lineman - something about stopping him from getting to the next level. Was a new penalty to me. Anyone ever hear of this rule? Is it the same in college?

Williesan
1/16/2011, 12:57 AM
Just before the winning TD by the Steelers, they were stuffed on a run on 2nd and goal from the 4 yd line. As I understand the call, it was defensive holding by the Ravens on an O-lineman - something about stopping him from getting to the next level. Was a new penalty to me. Anyone ever hear of this rule? Is it the same in college?

Although they never showed a clear cut reply, it was clearly a hold on Cody. He grabbed the Steeler lineman as he was trying to get to the linebackers and make his block. It's the same thing as if the O-lineman, RB, WR etc, did it to a defensive player (although in watching as many games as I have this year, it's amazing at how many holds are NOT called these days...)

Williesan

BoulderSooner79
1/16/2011, 01:19 AM
Anyone can be called for holding and I've seen this called before. Usually, it's called when a DT is locked up with an OL and pulls the OL guy to one side to create a lane for a blitzing LB. It's not called that often though.

EatLeadCommie
1/16/2011, 02:56 AM
My favorite play from that game was when the Steelers (stupidly, IMO) went for it on 4th and 1 (they ended up kicking the FG anyway). The ball was about a yard short. The Steelers center moved it up about a quarter yard. The refs stopped play and then re-blew the whistle, at which time the center moved it up another half yard. Instead of it being 4th and 1 it was about 4th and 1/4 yard.

SoonerStormchaser
1/16/2011, 07:38 AM
My favorite play from that game was when the Steelers (stupidly, IMO) went for it on 4th and 1 (they ended up kicking the FG anyway). The ball was about a yard short. The Steelers center moved it up about a quarter yard. The refs stopped play and then re-blew the whistle, at which time the center moved it up another half yard. Instead of it being 4th and 1 it was about 4th and 1/4 yard.

You make it sound like it never happens in games, and the Steelers are the only ones doing it.

EatLeadCommie
1/16/2011, 11:27 AM
You make it sound like it never happens in games, and the Steelers are the only ones doing it.

oh it happens, but this one was so egregious that I can't believe it wasn't commented on.

BusterRhymes86
1/16/2011, 12:17 PM
The Steeler tightend had a nice tackle on that play also...wasn't called. It should have been holding on both teams.

stoopified
1/16/2011, 01:03 PM
That is the first call of that type I have ever witnessed .I cannot ever recall one being made in an OU game ever.

BoulderSooner79
1/16/2011, 01:58 PM
I don't recall it being called in an OU game either, but I've definitely seen it called in NFL games. I suspect the D gets away with it if they keep it subtle. The Ravens were desperate because only a turnover would save them at that point in the game - just a stop wouldn't help.

Curly Bill
1/16/2011, 02:03 PM
Everyone on both sides gets away with holding if it's even close to being subtle, or in way too many cases even when it's pretty blatant.

It's like travelling in the NBA.

Therealsouthsider
1/16/2011, 02:37 PM
....My favorite play was Ray Lewis going home

SS

cyclonesooner
1/16/2011, 11:10 PM
The bogus call that cost the Ravens the game was the pitiful holding call the ravens were flagged for on the punt return for a touchdown which very easily could have been the winning score. Pitt defender saw he was not going to be able to make the tackle so he fell to the ground and the idiot zebras fell for it and threw the flag. PITIFUL.

TahoeSOONER
1/17/2011, 12:14 PM
This^! While bad calls happen all the time it's just plain full retard for the ref to take away a score like that with the game on the line on the last dude to even have a chance making a major league flop.

Ravens might have sealed it there.

badger
1/17/2011, 12:16 PM
The NFL playoffs are now a bird-free zone. The Jets get grounded next week and it's a no-fly zone Super Bowl ;)