PDA

View Full Version : Last call O'Connell's on Lindsey...

ouduckhunter
1/15/2011, 04:03 PM
For all of you in the area, I just saw this posted on Facebook. I sure wish that I lived close enough to participate in the closing ceremonies!

Time Friday, January 21 · 10:00am - 11:30pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location O'Connell's Irish Pub & Grill
120 E. Lindsey
Norman, OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created By O'Connell's Irish Pub Norman

More Info The original O’Connell’s Irish Pub and Grille, 120 E Lindsey, has been serving beer and burgers since 1968. On Jan. 21, the original location will officially close its doors to make way for the expansion of OU’s athletic facilities. All operations will transfer to the Campus Corner location, 769 Asp.

To mark the closing, O’Connell’s will host “Throw Back to 1968,” a 21-day celebration to include daily specials, community events and the closing party on Jan. 21. The party will be followed by a live auction on Jan. 22, with proceeds benefiting OU athletics.

“We have been overwhelmed by the immense community support we’ve received over the past 42 years, and to show our gratitude, we are devoting our last month at the Lindsey location to our patrons and the community,” said Jeff Stewart, owner of O’Connell’s.

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 01:24 AM
Is this actually going to happen this time?

SCOUT
1/16/2011, 01:32 AM
Why exactly are they closing this location? I honestly don't understand the decision.

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 01:34 AM
The University bought them out.

yermom
1/16/2011, 04:05 AM
they better put something cool there or i'm going to shake my fist at whatever it is every time i drive by

ouwino
1/16/2011, 08:24 AM
they better put something cool there or i'm going to shake my fist at whatever it is every time i drive by

they need to put a statue of a bar stool and a beer mug commemorating all of us who have been drunk on our a$$3$ at that GPS location. ;)

GKeeper316
1/16/2011, 08:33 AM

parking lot. seriously.

King Crimson
1/16/2011, 08:59 AM
parking lot. seriously.

yup. hooray.

C&CDean
1/16/2011, 11:09 AM
I've never gotten the big O'Connell's attraction. The food is meh, the beer is meh, the place is meh. Yes, I know, it's "tradition" but I feel about O'Connell's like I feel about Mr. Bills. Meh.

Their St. Paddy's Day parties are the most bogus, price-gouging events ever. I'd rather go to a real Irish pub. When you have to pay a cover, then all you can get is green beer for about $10 a glass, and be belly-to-back with 1500 sweaty drunks, and the only way you can get a shot of liquor is to know someone who works there - and then you have to wait a half-hour to get it and they serve it in a little plastic shot glass - and it still costs about $10 it's bull****.

I won't weep for O'Connell's. That corner has been ghetto for a long time now. It's about time to do something sensible with it.

Flagstaffsooner
1/16/2011, 11:19 AM
^^^^^^
yup

mgsooner
1/16/2011, 12:06 PM
That corner has been ghetto for a long time now. It's about time to do something sensible with it.

Yes it has. In the past few years each time I have ventured over there on a game day the dregs of society have been hanging out in their parking lot, often drinking from a 12 pack of Keystone they purchased at the convenience store across the way.

OUstud
1/16/2011, 12:16 PM
Campus Corner is the main place students go now anyway. In my 2 1/2 years (wow) at OU, I think I've been to the old location twice.

3rdgensooner
1/16/2011, 12:22 PM
I loved that I could leave there and in be in my stadium seat in about 5 mins. Campus Corner doesn't offer that.

*shrug* things change c'est la vie

btk108
1/16/2011, 12:32 PM
I loved that I could leave there and in be in my stadium seat in about 5 mins. Campus Corner doesn't offer that.

*shrug* things change c'est la vie

ehem.....may I suggest a SF tailgate? It's a one beer/drink walk to the stadium or a two minute pedicab ride. It's way cheaper than O'Connells and you get to hang out with the likes of ME :D

3rdgensooner
1/16/2011, 12:35 PM
ehem.....may I suggest a SF tailgate? It's a one beer/drink walk to the stadium or a two minute pedicab ride. It's way cheaper than O'Connells and you get to hang out with the likes of ME :DI appreciate the invite!

I've actually been involved in a tailgate in the same area as OC's for the last several seasons. The proximity to port-johns was very helpful--what with the beer consumption and all.

btk108
1/16/2011, 12:38 PM
Ours is way more awesome....we have our own porta terlets and Lisa makes sure the wimmen's stays the wimmens. Woe to the guy who steps in the girlie terlet.

Jacie
1/16/2011, 12:45 PM
I've never gotten the big O'Connell's attraction. The food is meh, the beer is meh, the place is meh. Yes, I know, it's "tradition" but I feel about O'Connell's like I feel about Mr. Bills. Meh.

Their St. Paddy's Day parties are the most bogus, price-gouging events ever. I'd rather go to a real Irish pub. When you have to pay a cover, then all you can get is green beer for about $10 a glass, and be belly-to-back with 1500 sweaty drunks, and the only way you can get a shot of liquor is to know someone who works there - and then you have to wait a half-hour to get it and they serve it in a little plastic shot glass - and it still costs about $10 it's bull****.

I won't weep for O'Connell's. That corner has been ghetto for a long time now. It's about time to do something sensible with it.

Back in the day, at least what I remember of it, there was no cover charge even on St. Patrick's Day. The beer may have been lousy but it was cheap and on SPD, green. Also, throughout SPD they would periodically reach up and squeeze the bulb on one of those old car horns that served as decorations above the bar, signalling that for the next few minutes, any empty container (cup or pitcher) brought to the bar would be filled for free.

Last time I made it there for SPD, showed up about 9:00 a.m. to insure that we could get inside. Proceeded to try and empty the place of green beer. My friends tell me that sometime after noon our table had at least 10 full pitchers and about 60 cups, also full. I was at the bar banging a pitcher and yelling at them to blow the effing horn. Not sure how me and my van got home but I am glad lived close by . . .

yermom
1/16/2011, 02:38 PM

it's still a landmark that i'm sad to see go. the original Padthai too.

funny you mention Bill's... it's on its way out this year too, apparently

parking is such a nightmare on campus that i probably wouldn't shake my fist at a parking lot...

The
1/17/2011, 09:20 AM
they need to put a statue of a bar stool and a beer mug commemorating all of us who have been drunk on our a$$3$ at that GPS location. ;)

They need to put statues of dudes pissing in the alley.

ouwino
1/17/2011, 10:05 AM
They need to put statues of dudes pissing in the alley.

dang it, you saw me huh?

OUMallen
1/17/2011, 10:52 AM
it's still a landmark that i'm sad to see go. the original Padthai too.

funny you mention Bill's... it's on its way out this year too, apparently

parking is such a nightmare on campus that i probably wouldn't shake my fist at a parking lot...

Bill's is closing? :(

GottaHavePride
1/18/2011, 12:52 AM
Bill's is closing? :(

Not that I heard. But they could use to burn the place down and start over - the place is a craphole.

sooner59
1/18/2011, 12:57 AM
I went to Panera Bread in SW OKC and the chick at the register told me they were auctioning off O'Connell's stuff. I kinda want that sink shaped like the state of Oklahoma. :D

C&CDean
1/18/2011, 08:44 AM
They need to put statues of Uwe pissing in the alley.

FIFY. He got busted several years back for it. I cracked up.

IndySooner
1/18/2011, 09:37 AM
Campus Corner is the main place students go now anyway. In my 2 1/2 years (wow) at OU, I think I've been to the old location twice.

Odd that just over 10 years ago, Campus Corner was practically dead. When I graduated, my buddy and I almost bought one of the buildings for pennies on the dollar to put a bar in. We're kicking ourselves today for not doing that.

King Barry's Back
1/18/2011, 02:31 PM
For all of you in the area, I just saw this posted on Facebook. I sure wish that I lived close enough to participate in the closing ceremonies!

Time Friday, January 21 · 10:00am - 11:30pm

Location O'Connell's Irish Pub & Grill
120 E. Lindsey
Norman, OK

Created By O'Connell's Irish Pub Norman

More Info The original O’Connell’s Irish Pub and Grille, 120 E Lindsey, has been serving beer and burgers since 1968. On Jan. 21, the original location will officially close its doors to make way for the expansion of OU’s athletic facilities. All operations will transfer to the Campus Corner location, 769 Asp.

To mark the closing, O’Connell’s will host “Throw Back to 1968,” a 21-day celebration to include daily specials, community events and the closing party on Jan. 21. The party will be followed by a live auction on Jan. 22, with proceeds benefiting OU athletics.

“We have been overwhelmed by the immense community support we’ve received over the past 42 years, and to show our gratitude, we are devoting our last month at the Lindsey location to our patrons and the community,” said Jeff Stewart, owner of O’Connell’s.

This REALLY sucks. Nothing more to say. I spent so much of my life in O'Connel's. It's like stealing my childhood, but I was over 21. At least as far as they knew.

mgsooner
1/18/2011, 04:11 PM
Not that I heard. But they could use to burn the place down and start over - the place is a craphole.

Spent a lot of time there during my college days, but yes, it is a total dump. And that was 10 years ago, I'd hate to see it today!

The
1/18/2011, 04:15 PM
FIFY. He got busted several years back for it. I cracked up.

Really? That sucks. I used to drink with him occasionally at the Vista before it toppled over.

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 04:27 PM
Really? That sucks. I used to drink with him occasionally at the Vista before it toppled over.

I have I not been posting enough, or have you been on vacation/ban time The?

The
1/18/2011, 04:54 PM
I have I not been posting enough, or have you been on vacation/ban time The?

I actually have to work a few weeks out of the year. But, I'm looking at retiring after February.

2121Sooner
1/18/2011, 05:01 PM
I actually have to work a few weeks out of the year. But, I'm looking at retiring after February.

Do you have short-timers disease?

jumperstop
1/18/2011, 05:04 PM

See that's odd, at work is where I get most of my posting done.

The
1/18/2011, 05:11 PM
Yes and yes.

C&CDean
1/18/2011, 07:57 PM

If you partied with Uwe you know that my description = the average Saturday night.

The stories I could tell...

He's one of my favorites of all time. Done some stupid ****, but he's doing great and I'm damn proud of him.