PDA

View Full Version : Pickens - Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame

XFollower
1/14/2011, 11:58 AM
http://newsok.com/hall-of-fame-boone-pickens/article/3532248

When I grow up, I'm going to buy me a place in the HOF too.

badger
1/14/2011, 12:00 PM
Dude, ignore Pickens.

LUCIOUS SELMON FINALLY IN THE HOF! LONG OVERDUE WOOOOOOOOOOT! :)

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/149729.jpeg

Leroy Lizard
1/14/2011, 02:56 PM
http://newsok.com/hall-of-fame-boone-pickens/article/3532248

When I grow up, I'm going to buy me a place in the HOF too.

If you are willing to dump as much as TBP has into an Oklahoma institution, I will gladly support your nomination.

batonrougesooner
1/14/2011, 03:41 PM
Doesn't the NFL allow team owners in their HOF as well?

No different than Jerry Jones getting nominated.

SoonerOX
1/14/2011, 04:39 PM
FU Pickens......

Mazeppa
1/14/2011, 09:58 PM
So it's all about the money? sad.

texaspokieokie
1/15/2011, 09:41 AM
money talks & bull**** walks.

Shakadoodoo
1/15/2011, 09:50 AM
If you are willing to dump as much as TBP has into an Oklahoma institution, I will gladly support your nomination.

True Indeed!!!!

olevetonahill
1/15/2011, 10:14 AM

Yea, But he took a lot of the fun out of Giving OsU a hard time over their "Rustoleum" stadium :D Even tho they still cant fill it up ;)

texaspokieokie
1/15/2011, 10:17 AM

i'm only sad about money when i don't have any.

Leroy Lizard
1/15/2011, 04:41 PM

It's all about giving your money. T Boone should be credited for donating such huge sums of cash to his alma mater. He certainly could have kept it.

silverwheels
1/15/2011, 06:03 PM
Boone Pickens Stadium has allowed OSU to upgrade its recruiting, resulting in 2010 with the Cowboys’ first top-10 finish in 26 years, and OSU stands in solid position for possible conference realignment.

I could have sworn that OSU was an afterthought in the realignment discussions last year. A tag-along.

soonerloyal
1/15/2011, 06:28 PM
It's all about giving your money. T Boone should be credited for donating such huge sums of cash to his alma mater. He certainly could have kept it.

Yes, but credited with a spot in a Hall of Fame intended for those who actually are accomplished in sports?

Hell, I don't want the damn Gaylord Fockers enshrined just because they puked up some of their ill-gotten gains to OU, either.

rekamrettuB
1/15/2011, 06:29 PM
I could have sworn that OSU was an afterthought in the realignment discussions last year. A tag-along.

Well the Big XII didn't kick them out. I guess that means they were in "solid position".

Mazeppa
1/16/2011, 12:54 AM
i'm only sad about money when i don't have any.

In that case i'm sad all of the time.

Mazeppa
1/16/2011, 12:55 AM

He could have done it with out the publicity.

Leroy Lizard
1/16/2011, 03:24 AM
Yes, but credited with a spot in a Hall of Fame intended for those who actually are accomplished in sports?

I think announcers are also given spots in the Hall of Fame, right? (I would certainly expect Bob Barry to be in there sooner or later.)

Keller Sooner
1/16/2011, 07:39 AM
He's a real jock!

AlboSooner
1/16/2011, 02:26 PM
So donating money = sports accomplishments? Didn't know that.

texaspokieokie
1/16/2011, 03:01 PM
if the money had been donated to OU there would be no problem.

soonerloyal
1/16/2011, 03:01 PM
I think announcers are also given spots in the Hall of Fame, right? (I would certainly expect Bob Barry to be in there sooner or later.)

Yes. Playing, coaching, and to a certain degree, sports announcing. It should encompass sports knowledge. Opening your large bank account to ensure your family name on a sports arena/enclosure takes neither sports talent or sports knowledge; therefore being enshrined in a sports accomplishment-oriented Hall of Fame due entirely to your check-writing skills/affinity makes no sense. Owners have no business being in there either, IMO.

Leroy Lizard
1/16/2011, 03:03 PM
nm

Leroy Lizard
1/16/2011, 03:09 PM
Yes. Playing, coaching, and to a certain degree, sports announcing. It should encompass sports knowledge. Opening your large bank account to ensure your family name on a sports arena/enclosure takes neither sports talent or sports knowledge; therefore being enshrined in a sports accomplishment-oriented Hall of Fame due entirely to your check-writing skills/affinity makes no sense. Owners have no business being in there either, IMO.

Actually, the official web site tends to support your argument more than mine:

The ballot is mailed to members of the Jim Thorpe Association, the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame, Hall of Fame nominees and Oklahoma sports journalists. Voters select at least two inductees, while the honors committee selects additional honorees. The basic criteria for induction are accomplishments in sports and identification with Oklahoma.

Stanley Draper was inducted, btw. That would seem to violate their criteria as well, as I don't think he was an athlete or sports journalist.

John Zink, race car owner, is also in.

Leroy Lizard
1/16/2011, 03:12 PM
if the money had been donated to OU there would be no problem.

Sure there would have been. It would have surfaced on gopokes. :D

soonerloyal
1/16/2011, 03:41 PM
Actually, the official web site tends to support your argument more than mine:

Stanley Draper was inducted, btw. That would seem to violate their criteria as well, as I don't think he was an athlete or sports journalist.

John Zink, race car owner, is also in.

I guess Draper had so many hands in starting/developing Oklahoma sports that they made him an exception. He certainly did much more than Pickens or the Fockers ever have. Still, he wasn't what the guidelines paint as a qualified sportsperson/recipient.

Zink was a race car driver for years as well as just an owner, setting some racing records. That qualifies him, at least, as a sports figure rather than merely a philanthropic figure.

ouwino
1/16/2011, 03:46 PM

many of the millions he made were done so by hurting hundreds of hard working blue collar families right here in okla. with his hostile take-over attempt of phillips petrolium back in the 80's.

his actions ruined a nice little quite, clean, decent town in Northern OK.

one day, Phillips 66 had to lay off over 100 men (in just one little town) because of how bad he hurt the company.

his money is dirty. he is dirty. the oklahoma sports hall of fame is now dirty.

i should know... i lived it.

texaspokieokie
1/16/2011, 03:51 PM
I guess Draper had so many hands in starting/developing Oklahoma sports that they made him an exception. He certainly did much more than Pickens or the Fockers ever have. Still, he wasn't what the guidelines paint as a qualified sportsperson/recipient.

Zink was a race car driver for years as well as just an owner, setting some racing records. That qualifies him, at least, as a sports figure rather than merely a philanthropic figure.

don't remember Zink driving, but his cars won the 500, in 53 & 54. i think.

AlboSooner
1/16/2011, 06:29 PM
Why muddy the water with accusations of homerism? Philantropy is not a sport accomplishment, and neither is having a job as a radio announcer for a long time.
I'd hold the same position if the Gaylords were inducted in the hall of lame.

Boone deserves to be in the Oklahoma philantorphy hall of fame. This Okie st servilism is getting out of hand.

texaspokieokie
1/16/2011, 11:19 PM
well, he's in.

Shakadoodoo
1/17/2011, 07:13 AM
I have never done the research to see how the money that he has given to OSU is benefiting all students, and I'm not very inspired to do so, but I admire anyone who give their money to any school. Maybe he dose not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame but he should receive some type of philanthropy award. If the money he has given is only benefiting the athletes, then I would be much less enthusiastic with what he has done..... But people with money always get unwarranted credit. Look at Lewis Latimer who discovered the Light bulb - But who gets the credit - Money Man Thomas Edison...... But without Thomas Edison's money (and ethnicity) - he would have never got a patent, just like OSU may not of got good recruits without TBP money.

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 10:01 AM
i think he has done good stuff for the school,besides athletics. JMHO

last i heard ,over a long period,he's given over 300 mil.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2011, 01:09 PM
I have never done the research to see how the money that he has given to OSU is benefiting all students, and I'm not very inspired to do so, but I admire anyone who give their money to any school. Maybe he dose not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame but he should receive some type of philanthropy award. If the money he has given is only benefiting the athletes, then I would be much less enthusiastic with what he has done..... But people with money always get unwarranted credit. Look at Lewis Latimer who discovered the Light bulb - But who gets the credit - Money Man Thomas Edison...... But without Thomas Edison's money (and ethnicity) - he would have never got a patent, just like OSU may not of got good recruits without TBP money.

Latimer did not invent the light bulb. That is a total myth.

AlboSooner
1/17/2011, 01:34 PM
It's easy to give $300 million when your have $5 billion. I don't think donating .06% of your wealth is a sport accomplishment.

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 01:36 PM
he's actually given more like 1/2 bil to osu & other scholls.

his wealth is reported to be 1.4 bil.

AlboSooner
1/17/2011, 01:42 PM
He deserves his spot in the philantrophy hall of fame. He made $1.5 billion in 2005 alone, so I highly doubt his wealth is 1.4 bill. He's been accumulating money for three decades now

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 01:43 PM
he has also lost a lot.

soonergirlNeugene
1/17/2011, 04:04 PM
meh.

soonerloyal
1/17/2011, 05:48 PM
don't remember Zink driving, but his cars won the 500, in 53 & 54. i think.

Yeah, he set a Daytona speed record back in the late '50s I think. He raced as well as owned for years.

Shakadoodoo
1/18/2011, 07:31 AM
Latimer did not invent the light bulb. That is a total myth.

I'm not sure if it is a Myth or not - It doesn't really matter at this point but when I did look up to see if it was a myth or not - every site that says it was a myth were KKK/Skin head/John Birch Society websites - These are the same group of people that say Africans never contributed to humanity in any way. So I'm not saying that it is right or wrong if it is a myth but I do know the source is not worth a damn!

texaspokieokie
1/18/2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah, he set a Daytona speed record back in the late '50s I think. He raced as well as owned for years.

the race driver was zink jr. known mostly as jack.

Taxman71
1/18/2011, 12:39 PM
I still don't know why TBoone didn't just recreate the SMU Pony Excess. He might have won something during his lifetime and would be dead by the time the NCAA took it away.

texaspokieokie
1/18/2011, 03:18 PM
I still don't know why TBoone didn't just recreate the SMU Pony Excess. He might have won something during his lifetime and would be dead by the time the NCAA took it away.

you have to give him credit for not doing it that way. he surely has more money than the guys that did it for smu.

he may resort to that later.