PDA

View Full Version : TU's new coach is Blankenship

badger
1/14/2011, 11:16 AM
Bill Blankenship.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110114_94_0_BillBl608081)

Not official yet, 2 p.m. presser announced.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 11:17 AM
Well, he's been begging for the job for years. I guess we'll find out if he can do it or not.

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 11:18 AM
They just pulled a John Phillips. You'd think they would've learned from that. Pathetic.

OU-HSV
1/14/2011, 11:28 AM
You beat me to it...I was just reading about this on tulsa world's site

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 11:31 AM
Todd Dodge called....

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 11:33 AM
Oh well all those games against Tulsa we have lined up in the future just got a lot easier...

OU-HSV
1/14/2011, 11:34 AM
I bet he brings his son Josh in as an assistant. (or is he already an assistant at TU?) I can't remember, seems last I heard he was an assistant up north somewhere

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 11:36 AM
Isn't Josh coaching at Muskogee?

Breadburner
1/14/2011, 11:37 AM
Wow...Suprised Deforest did not get this.....

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 11:37 AM
God if he starts bringing in a bunch of Oklahoma high school coaches as assistants that will be an excellent indication that this is going to be a colossal fail.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2011, 11:41 AM
What happened to Garrick??

yermom
1/14/2011, 11:43 AM
i didn't realize he'd been there for 4 years

sounds a lot better than that UNT deal

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 11:43 AM

He pulled his name out. Reading between the lines I think Tulsa was trying to go really cheap on this hire and it burned them.

soonerbub
1/14/2011, 11:48 AM

Probably wanted way more than what they're offering--I bet blankenship is under 7 figures. Poor TU--this is Keith Burns part deux

MsProudSooner
1/14/2011, 11:48 AM
I'm not impressed with the Tulsa AD at all.

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 11:49 AM
I'm not impressed with the Tulsa AD at all.

I think the AD is now going to regret not taking one of the higher paying jobs he's been offered.

badger
1/14/2011, 11:54 AM
Check out the comments on the story I linked. Near-universal hate for the choice. Wonder if TU will pull a quick one and rescind the offer due to fan reaction :D

texaspokieokie
1/14/2011, 11:55 AM
being from Tulsa Union; he has recruiting expertise.:D

85sooners
1/14/2011, 12:03 PM
:gary:

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 12:11 PM
i didn't realize he'd been there for 4 years

sounds a lot better than that UNT deal

You're very optimistic. I am not.

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 12:14 PM
i didn't realize he'd been there for 4 yearsI would have missed that had it not been said eighty times in that article.

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 12:26 PM
I don't see how any objective person could not look at this as anything but a huge step backward. Let's look at the experience their two previous hires had when they hired them:

Steve Kragthorpe - 7 years D-1 coaching experience, including 5 as an offensive coordinator (3 at Texas A&M). 2 years experience as NFL QB coach with the Buffalo Bills.

Todd Graham - 6 years D-1 coaching experience, including 4 as a defensive coordinator (3 at Tulsa) and 1 year as a head coach (Rice). Led a Rice team coming off a 1-10 record to a 7-5 record and a bowl game.

Now, Bill Blankenship - 4 years D-1 coaching experience (in fact 4 at ANY collegiate level), zero as a coordinator. Has coached special teams, wide receivers and running backs.

Which one doesn't belong?

badger
1/14/2011, 12:30 PM
Before you all jump the hate blankenship bandwagon (there's a mile-long line anyways, it seems), Tulsa seemed to be in a situation where

a) needed to save money and
b) was sick of being a stepping stone school

This almost mirrors the Mike Gundy hire at OSU, where they brought in an ex-assistant with no head coaching experience at the collegiate level, but wanted to be guaranteed that the guy wouldn't up and leave at the first sign of success.

fwsooner22
1/14/2011, 12:32 PM
Just wondering how many of you guys who are so mad about this went to Jenks High School ?

It's Tulsa.

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 12:34 PM
Just wondering how many of you guys who are so mad about this went to Jenks High School ?

It's Tulsa.

First of all I'm not "mad" about it. I'm not a Tulsa football fan. I just think it's a comically poor hire compared to what they have had previously. And I didn't attend Jenks, Union, or any other Tulsa high school and I really could not possibly care any less about Tulsa high school football. Zero interest.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 12:36 PM
Before you all jump the hate blankenship bandwagon (there's a mile-long line anyways, it seems), Tulsa seemed to be in a situation where

This almost mirrors the Mike Gundy hire at OSU, where they brought in an ex-assistant with no head coaching experience at the collegiate level, but wanted to be guaranteed that the guy wouldn't up and leave at the first sign of success.

And and Tulsa hired John Phillips to coach basketball for pretty much the same reasons. I'm afraid we're going to see a rerun of that in football.

badger
1/14/2011, 01:15 PM
If BB doesn't do well immediately, I wouldn't write him off too quickly.

Tulsa was so bad at the start of this season that ESPN's Bottom 10 had them on their waiting list (I think they were like 1-3 or 1-2 at the time) and it was looking highly unlikely that they would be going bowling.

Todd Graham lucked his way into a 10-win season this year, and I'm not just saying that because he's leaving. Remember the Notre Dame? That was a MIRACLE victory. Nothing short of a MIRACLE that the Domer backup qb decided to chance it in the endzone rather than run the clock out for Domer to kick a game winner from the 20.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 01:20 PM
I want him to succeed, I just have very low expectations that he will.

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 01:21 PM
I don't see Blankenship's credentials inspiring recruits to come to TU.

Time will tell.

badger
1/14/2011, 03:03 PM
Check the photo and caption on this (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-01-14/blankenship-to-be-named-tulsa-coach) story out.

A screenshot just in case they correct it ever:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2nvggnl.png

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2011, 03:06 PM
Heh naked =/ named...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2011, 04:14 PM
Tulsa was wanting to bring in a guy for a lot less money...Can't blame em

Graham won games there and they still couldn't pull a crowd... If you can't make money winning, then why pay a guy extra money to win?

Mad Dog Madsen
1/14/2011, 04:18 PM
Big time fail. Stupid Tulsa. :mad:

SoonerOX
1/14/2011, 04:23 PM
Oh boy...crap hire. Agree with the op that said our games vs tulsa just got easier.

toast
1/14/2011, 04:43 PM
While it is certainly not the glamour hire and there's immediate comparing to the John Phillips debacle, there are some things that will work in Blankenship's favor. I am not so quick to write him off just yet. Let's see what kind of staff he puts together.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2011, 05:02 PM
The Todd Dodge hire... Got to start out sometime, hope he is as good as Tulsa AD hopes...

I guess he will fill his roster with local Tulsa talent and people really wanting to go to Tulsa...

What is his O philosophy?

soonerinkaty
1/14/2011, 05:53 PM
It's really weird seeing my last name thrown around in this thread.

Breadburner
1/14/2011, 06:10 PM
The OC hired last year in Tulsa coached HS football only....How did that work out.....

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 06:59 PM
Will the rest of his staff be naked as well?

Yes I did just talk about naked staff. tee hee

Crimsontothecore
1/15/2011, 12:28 AM
Wow, I'm surprised at how many of you think this is a bad hire. I realize you are all experts in the field of coaching and you're much smarted than the TU AD, but why specifically is this such a bad hire? Has he not had great success as a head coach? This may come as a shock, but lots of successful D1 head coaches once coached high school teams. And many of them don't have multiple state championships to show for it. He's also been part of a very successful TU staff.

And no, I'm not a Union grad.

lasooner123
1/15/2011, 12:47 AM
sorry idk about him....i know hes probably not as good as graham, but whys hes so bad?

SoonerDick
1/15/2011, 12:54 AM
All those coaches from the Sringdale Arkansas High School that beat Jenks badly all went to major College programs and have been successful. Auburn is an example of that influence. He has been successful where ever he has been. Has been in coaching long enough to know the game. He says he is not going to change their system much, but make some tweaks to improve it. He has a good athlete base right now and plans to recruit Texas and the surrounding states as well as Oklahoma. TU tends to get the second tier athletes out of Oklahoma that develop into great players. My concern was that their offense and defense would be drastically changed. They used many Freshman on the defense last year and will be a better Tulsa team than OU played last year. Ou won five games by 8 points or less, and the year before they lost four by just very few points. So those close games can swing from year to year with a few injuries to top players. I saw the Tulsa / ND game and Tulsa was competitive with them regardless of who they had playing at QB. Tulsa's only big loss was to OSU when they were braking in Freshmen DBs. That won't happen this year with OSU. They might get beat by Ou and OSU, but not blown out. I think this new coach is being very underestimated. Should have listened to his intro speech and he comes across as knowing what to do and some things to improve the program. They are recruiting better players every year, and parity in college football is with us. So, sit back and enjoy the 2011 football season and see how this all shakes out. Kindest regards to all here.

Crimsontothecore
1/15/2011, 01:11 AM
All those coaches from the Sringdale Arkansas High School that beat Jenks badly all went to major College programs and have been successful. Auburn is an example of that influence. He has been successful where ever he has been. Has been in coaching long enough to know the game. He says he is not going to change their system much, but make some tweaks to improve it. He has a good athlete base right now and plans to recruit Texas and the surrounding states as well as Oklahoma. TU tends to get the second tier athletes out of Oklahoma that develop into great players. My concern was that their offense and defense would be drastically changed. They used many Freshman on the defense last year and will be a better Tulsa team than OU played last year. Ou won five games by 8 points or less, and the year before they lost four by just very few points. So those close games can swing from year to year with a few injuries to top players. I saw the Tulsa / ND game and Tulsa was competitive with them regardless of who they had playing at QB. Tulsa's only big loss was to OSU when they were braking in Freshmen DBs. That won't happen this year with OSU. They might get beat by Ou and OSU, but not blown out. I think this new coach is being very underestimated. Should have listened to his intro speech and he comes across as knowing what to do and some things to improve the program. They are recruiting better players every year, and parity in college football is with us. So, sit back and enjoy the 2011 football season and see how this all shakes out. Kindest regards to all here.

Bubba?

texaspokieokie
1/15/2011, 09:28 AM

for this hire, there's a real good chance this won't be a "stepping-stone". at least,not "up".

i don't see how this "mirrors" the gundy hire. gundy was young (in his 30s)
& had over 10 yrs college exp. 5 yrs as OC..

you think gundy (as much as he loves ok & osu) wouldn't take a job elsewhere
@ a much higher salary & more highly rated (football wise) if he got the chance? osu thot they had that kinda deal with les. he was all over himself when he 1st got to osu, claiming how happy he was to be there.
how long did that last ??

blankenship (from what i read on here) is older guy with very little D-1 exp.
as mentioned above, this is like north tx hiring todd dodge. or ND hiring
gerry faust.

on the other hand, i hope he is VERY successful. i nearly always root for TU.

swardboy
1/15/2011, 09:53 AM
Good luck Coach Blankenship. I 'most always root for ex-QB's 'cause I are one. May the spirit of Jerry Rhome blow your way, and may your receivers catch Howard Twilley syndrome. And may the lineman instincts of Willy Towns infest all the boys in the trenches.

I think a win over Notre Dame helps TU's recruiting efforts.

cleller
1/15/2011, 10:15 AM
Time will tell. While the situation may be similar, I don't think Blankenship is much like John Phillips in personality. He'll get the guys he has ready to play, and they'll play hard.
I was actually hoping for Kragthorpe vol 2. That would have been interesting.

Crimsontothecore
1/15/2011, 10:49 AM
Time will tell. While the situation may be similar, I don't think Blankenship is much like John Phillips in personality. He'll get the guys he has ready to play, and they'll play hard.

Agree. Blankenship and Phillips personalities are polar opposites. I laugh hearing that comparison.

badger
1/15/2011, 11:40 AM
Check the photo and caption on this (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-01-14/blankenship-to-be-named-tulsa-coach) story out.

A screenshot just in case they correct it ever:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2nvggnl.png

lol - they still haven't changed it :D

bluedogok
1/15/2011, 12:53 PM
Poor TU--this is Keith Burns part deux
It can't be THAT bad.....

MichiganSooner
1/15/2011, 03:19 PM
Wow, I'm surprised at how many of you think this is a bad hire. I realize you are all experts in the field of coaching and you're much smarted than the TU AD, but why specifically is this such a bad hire? Has he not had great success as a head coach? This may come as a shock, but lots of successful D1 head coaches once coached high school teams. And many of them don't have multiple state championships to show for it. He's also been part of a very successful TU staff.

And no, I'm not a Union grad.

Puleaze-I realize he has multiple state titles to go with multiple state runnerup trophies but there are only 32 6A teams in the entire state and only 16 make it into the playoffs. The teams are seeded to keep Union away from Jenks until final four at the earliest. In most states Union would play Jenks in either the first or second round, due to geography and one of them would be eliminated early. And the winner of that game would need to go on a 5-7 game win streak to win a state title.

texaspokieokie
1/15/2011, 03:49 PM
Puleaze-I realize he has multiple state titles to go with multiple state runnerup trophies but there are only 32 6A teams in the entire state and only 16 make it into the playoffs. The teams are seeded to keep Union away from Jenks until final four at the earliest. In most states Union would play Jenks in either the first or second round, due to geography and one of them would be eliminated early. And the winner of that game would need to go on a 5-7 game win streak to win a state title.

looks to me that if only 16 teams make the play-offs,after one of these 2 is eleminated, there's only 8 teams left, which would require only 3 more games.

cleller
1/16/2011, 09:00 AM
looks to me that if only 16 teams make the play-offs,after one of these 2 is eleminated, there's only 8 teams left, which would require only 3 more games.

He's using MATH!:eek:

texaspokieokie
1/16/2011, 09:14 AM
unless it's a "round-robin".

birddog
1/16/2011, 10:24 AM
:gary:

that's what i've been saying this whole time. some people will never learn.

birddog
1/16/2011, 10:26 AM
lol - they still haven't changed it :D

coaching nekkid!! that's worth 10k right there.

MichiganSooner
1/16/2011, 10:58 AM

True. My point is most states do not have a little 16 team tournament to determine a state champ. Look at Texas. I believe there are 128 teams in 5A. They split them into 2 divisions for football. My state has about 180 teams in each classification not 32 like Oklahoma 6A.
If Oklahoma were Texas, Union would likely be in the same district as Jenks and meet in the first or second round of a state tournament.

texaspokieokie
1/16/2011, 10:58 AM
coaching nekkid!! that's worth 10k right there.

depends on who it is.

texaspokieokie
1/16/2011, 11:26 AM
True. My point is most states do not have a little 16 team tournament to determine a state champ. Look at Texas. I believe there are 128 teams in 5A. They split them into 2 divisions for football. My state has about 180 teams in each classification not 32 like Oklahoma 6A.
If Oklahoma were Texas, Union would likely be in the same district as Jenks and meet in the first or second round of a state tournament.
pretty much true about tx. most of the teams in D/FW seem to play each other or teams from nearby. you never hear anything about teams from places
like el paso. lotsa yrs the teams from midland/odessa seem to play teams around here. i actually don't know (or care) much about how it works.

i can never figure teams like "converse judson" come from. never heard of a town called converse or judson.

maybe it's like "putnam city".

richsooner
1/16/2011, 08:11 PM
I have been watching the man for around 15 years. Great football mind.,,,,Great individual,,,Great leader,,Great organizer,,,,,Well respected.,Oozes Class....,, comparing him to Phillips is ridiculous,,,,Phillips was none of the above...Will he be successful?? lots of coaches have the background and tools,,,not all are successfull. Will he beat the Sooners,,,,NO!!!!!!..Will he beat the Pukes,,,I hope So... Good luck Coach Blankenship!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crimsontothecore
1/16/2011, 08:25 PM

Oh, ok. I didn't realize how other states seeded their teams. I stand corrected, Blakenship really sucks as a coach...you just proved it.:rolleyes: (yes, that's sarcasm)

bluedogok
1/16/2011, 11:17 PM
pretty much true about tx. most of the teams in D/FW seem to play each other or teams from nearby. you never hear anything about teams from places
like el paso. lotsa yrs the teams from midland/odessa seem to play teams around here. i actually don't know (or care) much about how it works.

i can never figure teams like "converse judson" come from. never heard of a town called converse or judson.

maybe it's like "putnam city".
Converse is a town between San Antonio and Randolph AFB, now just part of the San Antonio metro area. Judson is the school district name after they merged three rural districts a long time ago. It was named after prominent person in San Antonio.

We had a site meeting near San Antonio Friday and went right by Cibolo Steele, it is definitely a newer high school who won this years 5A/D2 title.

texaspokieokie
1/16/2011, 11:17 PM
I have been watching the man for around 15 years. Great football mind.,,,,Great individual,,,Great leader,,Great organizer,,,,,Well respected.,Oozes Class....,, comparing him to Phillips is ridiculous,,,,Phillips was none of the above...Will he be successful?? lots of coaches have the background and tools,,,not all are successfull. Will he beat the Sooners,,,,NO!!!!!!..Will he beat the Pukes,,,I hope So... Good luck Coach Blankenship!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like Todd Dodge.

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 11:52 AM
Converse is a town between San Antonio and Randolph AFB, now just part of the San Antonio metro area. Judson is the school district name after they merged three rural districts a long time ago. It was named after prominent person in San Antonio.

We had a site meeting near San Antonio Friday and went right by Cibolo Steele, it is definitely a newer high school who won this years 5A/D2 title.

thanx for info. never heard of "cibolo" either.

when i 1st moved to tx in 1970 i stayed very briefly in a motel called
"cibolo inn" in arlington. since Jerry built the taj mahal, all that stuff is gone.

bluedogok
1/17/2011, 08:30 PM
There are a bunch of little towns scattered around here, many like Cibolo used to be out by themselves but have been getting slowly swallowed up by the larger cities. I also do a lot of motorcycle riding out in the Hill Country, I pretty much "discover" a new town on almost every ride.

texaspokieokie
1/17/2011, 08:53 PM
sounds like fun !

texaspokieokie
1/19/2011, 11:29 AM
Todd Dodge is gonna be QB coach @ Pitt, with ex TU coach.

texaspokieokie
1/21/2011, 12:32 PM

Kragthorpe is gonna be OC @ lsu.