PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day warning

badger
1/14/2011, 10:22 AM
Gentlemen (and ladies):

You have ONE MONTH till Valentine's Day. As such, this is fair warning that you probably need to think about what to get your significant other for this holiday. Post suggestions to your fellow Sooner fans but don't report back on Feb. 15 whining that you forgot this year :mad:

Idea from me: Flowers from Whole Foods

You will not find better flowers anywhere than Whole Foods. Seriously. Go check em out.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 10:41 AM
pfffft. If you really wanna have a happy marriage then stop all the silliness on Valentines, Anniversaries, b-days, Christmas, etc. All you're doing is creating a massive amount of uneccessary stress in your man's life. Guys ain't wired to know what the hell you want.

I've shared this many times before, but what we do is get each other a card for those occasions. Then, once a year we take a nice trip - eat high dollar meals/expensive wine/etc. Sometimes that trip might only be to OKC or Dallas for a night, but it makes so much more sense than being stressed out 4-5 times a year. I don't lose one second's sleep over "what can I get her for ........ day." Neither does she. It works great.

1890MilesToNorman
1/14/2011, 10:43 AM
It's a chick holiday and I don't participate myself. She will get flowers and **** when I want to give them and that's that. :D

Mississippi Sooner
1/14/2011, 10:44 AM
pfffft. If you really wanna have a happy marriage then stop all the silliness on Valentines, Anniversaries, b-days, Christmas, etc. All you're doing is creating a massive amount of uneccessary stress in your man's life. Guys ain't wired to know what the hell you want.

I've shared this many times before, but what we do is get each other a card for those occasions. Then, once a year we take a nice trip - eat high dollar meals/expensive wine/etc. Sometimes that trip might only be to OKC or Dallas for a night, but it makes so much more sense than being stressed out 4-5 times a year. I don't lose one second's sleep over "what can I get her for ........ day." Neither does she. It works great.

Ditto and a half. It took me a little while to get my wife to see this point of view, but now she's completely on board with it. It makes those "special times" that much more special, and we don't get stressed into thinking we have to do a certain something just because a date on the calendar says everyone should be doing that.

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 10:45 AM
Lelo

Cheez-It
1/14/2011, 10:51 AM
Lelo

YES!! THIS!!!

Jammin'
1/14/2011, 10:53 AM

I haven't agreed with much you've posted lately but this is pure gold.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 10:54 AM
I haven't agreed with much you've posted lately but this is pure gold.

So you're saying you didn't get high last night? Cool.:P

SoonerAtKU
1/14/2011, 10:54 AM
Getting something nice and unexpected for my wife isn't "stress". It doesn't have to be on a birthday or valentine's day or an anniversary, either, which is nice. I keep a list of things she mentions that she likes but would never buy for herself, then I update it as I go along. It works great, and I can mix and match presents and get her a nice necklace or ring, a book, and some other stuff when it's on sale.

Planning ahead like that is actually fun for me, I get excited for her to open gifts and stuff.

I will say that the travel stuff is a great idea and may be something we do later after our girl is older and can stay with relatives/at home alone for a weekend. Since she's 2, we don't do a lot of that anyway.

OUmillenium
1/14/2011, 10:55 AM
Gentlemen (and ladies):

You have ONE MONTH till Valentine's Day. As such, this is fair warning that you probably need to think about what to get your significant other for this holiday. Post suggestions to your fellow Sooner fans but don't report back on Feb. 15 whining that you forgot this year :mad:

Idea from me: Flowers from Whole Foods

You will not find better flowers anywhere than Whole Foods. Seriously. Go check em out.

Whole Foods huh? That would be nice since my wife is now gluten free. I could do all Valentine shopping in one place.

By the way, I HATE Valentine's Day. Man should not have to buy love from woman...unless that is her profession.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 10:57 AM
Getting something nice and unexpected for my wife isn't "stress". It doesn't have to be on a birthday or valentine's day or an anniversary, either, which is nice. I keep a list of things she mentions that she likes but would never buy for herself, then I update it as I go along. It works great, and I can mix and match presents and get her a nice necklace or ring, a book, and some other stuff when it's on sale.

Planning ahead like that is actually fun for me, I get excited for her to open gifts and stuff.

I will say that the travel stuff is a great idea and may be something we do later after our girl is older and can stay with relatives/at home alone for a weekend. Since she's 2, we don't do a lot of that anyway.

If your wife is worth her salt, over the next several years she won't always be wanting a necklace or a ring. Jewelry is probably the most insane crap guys buy for chicks. WTF good is it? It's pretty. No, her naked body is pretty. Jewelry is just a distraction.

Also, your post is reminding me of a commercial for something where the guy is all sensitive but it ends up not really being true.

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 10:58 AM

Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about Valentine's Day, kudos to you for that refreshing take on it...really really refreshing.

I assume someone will call you ghey soon.

badger
1/14/2011, 10:59 AM
You don't have to buy anything, just make sure you remember the holiday guys.

You might not think it's important, but your wife/gf will hear countless stories of what other husbands/boyfriends have done for them, or see it first-hand when the dozens of roses arrive at desks.

I have not been on this end - tons of female co-workers have long admired the unexpected gifts that arrive when I least suspect :D:D:D:D

So... do you want your significant other to be one of the ones admiring others' gifts and stories, or the one being admired and telling everyone how awesome you are :P

yermom
1/14/2011, 11:01 AM
Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about Valentine's Day, kudos to you for that refreshing take on it...really really refreshing.

I assume someone will call you ghey soon.

yep. ghey.

yermom
1/14/2011, 11:04 AM

You might not think it's important, but your wife/gf will hear countless stories of what other husbands/boyfriends have done for them, or see it first-hand when the dozens of roses arrive at desks.

I have not been on this end - tons of female co-workers have long admired the unexpected gifts that arrive when I least suspect :D:D:D:D

So... do you want your significant other to be one of the ones admiring others' gifts and stories, or the one being admired and telling everyone how awesome you are :P

this is why you should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen ;)

Breadburner
1/14/2011, 11:06 AM
How bout the good ol' high hard-one.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooner_born_1960
1/14/2011, 11:06 AM
Stop calling it a holiday.

badger
1/14/2011, 11:07 AM
Stop calling it a holiday.

I'm taking the saint's name out to make sure it is all-inclusive ;)

sooner_born_1960
1/14/2011, 11:08 AM
The mailman's still coming. It ain't a holiday.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 11:29 AM
Nothing says romance like a martyred saint.

Soonerntxs
1/14/2011, 11:36 AM
I got some red handcuffs for my wife last year; can someone please send me a key?:eek: I've been hitched to the bedpost far to long!:D

OULenexaman
1/14/2011, 11:37 AM
I thought it was mafia holiday...

SoonerAtKU
1/14/2011, 11:37 AM
If your wife is worth her salt, over the next several years she won't always be wanting a necklace or a ring. Jewelry is probably the most insane crap guys buy for chicks. WTF good is it? It's pretty. No, her naked body is pretty. Jewelry is just a distraction.

Also, your post is reminding me of a commercial for something where the guy is all sensitive but it ends up not really being true.

Oh, it's definitely not always jewelry. It's things she really likes but wouldn't buy for herself. We went to this little store she likes, and they happen to have a small counter with some handmade stuff in there. There was a tiny skull necklace with ruby eyes, in sort of a Day of the Dead sugar skull style. Well, she was born right near that day and has a calavera tattoo, so I snuck back in a week or so later and bought it.

Trust me, we both know it's not about the actual thing or the money spent. It's about taking time to know each other and what we'd like and care about making each other happy.

I'm more likely to buy her a book by an author she likes that has something new out she hasn't read, or an art magazine, or music she likes, or a game she used to play and misses.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 11:38 AM
Trust me, we both know it's not about the actual thing or the money spent. It's about taking time to know each other and what we'd like and care about making each other happy.

This says romance better than Hallmark ever could.

SoonerAtKU
1/14/2011, 11:39 AM
yep. ghey.

We agreed to never mention that night in the TIC.

yermom
1/14/2011, 11:41 AM
i thought we had :mad:

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 11:47 AM
Oh, it's definitely not always jewelry. It's things she really likes but wouldn't buy for herself. We went to this little store she likes, and they happen to have a small counter with some handmade stuff in there. There was a tiny skull necklace with ruby eyes, in sort of a Day of the Dead sugar skull style. Well, she was born right near that day and has a calavera tattoo, so I snuck back in a week or so later and bought it.

I'm more likely to buy her a book by an author she likes that has something new out she hasn't read, or an art magazine, or music she likes, or a game she used to play and misses.

I won't call you gay for buying her nice things, however, I will call you gay for "going to this little store" with her. Dude, that's for chicks.

olevetonahill
1/14/2011, 11:47 AM
1st wife
I bot her diamond ear rings, she bitched that they cost to much and took em back
a year or so later I go out on Mothers day and Pick her a bouquet of wild flowers. She bitched cause they dint cost anything
Next holiday **** her i dint get her ****
Last wife I gave her a watch . She went out with the Swanns dude.

Ill pass on all this goofy ****.

SoonerAtKU
1/14/2011, 11:50 AM
I won't call you gay for buying her nice things, however, I will call you gay for "going to this little store" with her. Dude, that's for chicks.

Eh, we were on our way to see Louis CK and it's on the same street up here. I'd just had an enormous burger with way too many grilled onions on it. I'm just happy she was within 3 feet of my breath.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 11:53 AM
And here you had 3rdgen all hot with your fancy romantic talk and you ruin it with onion breff.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 11:53 AM
oops. I meant chk.

I can see how they mixed y'all up in Washington.

badger
1/14/2011, 11:58 AM
I'm so glad we're having this argument a month early so when the real day (note that i didn't say "holiday" haha) comes around we already have this outta our systems.

soonerinkaty
1/14/2011, 12:10 PM
Now is the time to dump that hoe.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 12:12 PM
oops. I meant chk.

I can see how they mixed y'all up in Washington.

Don't make me hatespek you.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 12:14 PM
It's your colorful avatars. I swear.

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 12:15 PM
People who have actually met us both don't confuse us.

My Opinion Matters
1/14/2011, 12:27 PM

Man, chicks are weird.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 12:31 PM
It's your colorful avatars. I swear.

She has happy booze and I have buttsecks balloons. I can see how that would be confusing. They do both seem to be happy.

yermom
1/14/2011, 12:31 PM
I'm so glad we're having this argument a month early so when the real day (note that i didn't say "holiday" haha) comes around we already have this outta our systems.

i'm sure it will come up again around Chick Christmas :D

NormanPride
1/14/2011, 01:39 PM
Does anyone actually pay attention to the cards they get? Unless they're funny it just seems creepy and weird to me.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 01:42 PM
She has happy booze and I have buttsecks balloons. I can see how that would be confusing. They do both seem to be happy.

That's what those balloons are? Is it happy buttsecks or is it gay buttsecks?

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 01:59 PM
That's what those balloons are? Is it happy buttsecks or is it gay buttsecks?

If The was here, he could tell us, since he's responsible for the creation of the buttsecks balloon hat.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 02:00 PM
So, seriously, is the boy OK?

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 02:16 PM
So, seriously, is the boy OK?

He was a smartarse on my FB, so I'm assuming he's fine.

Cheez-It
1/14/2011, 02:17 PM
If The was here, he could tell us, since he's responsible for the creation of the buttsecks balloon hat.

Wait...what???

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 02:19 PM
Wait...what???

I was drunk, I could be mistaken.

Cheez-It
1/14/2011, 02:22 PM
I was drunk, I could be mistaken.

The clown created that on his own. The was just drunk...as was the rest of you effers.

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 02:24 PM
The clown created that on his own. The was just drunk...as was the rest of you effers.And you weren't? I think the balloon was suggested to the clown as a joke, and the clown went with it.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 02:25 PM
The clown created that on his own. The was just drunk...as was the rest of you effers.

That's right, you don't drink. All I know is I came back from the bathroom and I had a new name and a new hat.

And I still wouldn't put my finger in the cigar cutter thingy.:cool:

Cheez-It
1/14/2011, 02:29 PM
Oh, I was drunk. I recall trying to make a bootie call that night and got turned down. That was a low point for me...

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 02:31 PM
Oh, I was drunk. I recall trying to make a bootie call that night and got turned down. That was a low point for me...

Turns out I have no comment on this at all.

3rdgensooner
1/14/2011, 02:32 PM
Oh, I was drunk. I recall trying to make a bootie call that night and got turned down. That was a low point for me...I'm pretty sure Venables had a game to play the next day.

Cheez-It
1/14/2011, 02:33 PM
No red rover huh?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Not so much. Which is why I think I drank even more. :P

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 02:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Venables had a game to play the next day.

He did, and it was against Miami and we thought they were really good. Why else would I have been hanging out with clowns?:P

badger
2/11/2011, 05:52 PM
Bump! You're three days away, guys. No excuses this year, I gave you a month's notice :D

OULenexaman
2/11/2011, 05:53 PM
I thought this thread died.....now it's a haunting...

NormanPride
2/11/2011, 06:12 PM
****!

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2011, 08:46 PM
Bought my wife a new Northface jacket yesterday and already gave it to her. She was pleasantly surprised. Got both my daughters iTunes gift cards.

They'll all get cards on Monday.

MamaMia
2/11/2011, 11:32 PM

I will say that the travel stuff is a great idea and may be something we do later after our girl is older and can stay with relatives/at home alone for a weekend. Since she's 2, we don't do a lot of that anyway.Thats nice. Your wife is very blessed to have a man who wants any excuse, such as a holiday, to make an already fantastic loving relation, one to celebrate in special ways. Not to say that those who don't want to purchase anything super special aren't okay by doing so, if they feel differently.

Heres a great not to pricey but special way to show your love...

Pandora bracelets. You can get a bracelet and one charm at a time. They have all kinds of meaningful beads, or charms. You can give her a catalog and pick the ones she likes or get something that means something special to her, or the both of you....such as your birthstones or her hobby. Things like that.

You can get the bracelets and charms or beads in lots of jewelry stores but here's the link....http://www.pancharmbracelets.com/index.cfm?track_id=951

MamaMia
2/11/2011, 11:45 PM
I would like to add that some of the charms can get up there in price but they have hundreds that are about 30 bucks. You can spend as little or as much on the starter bracelet of your choice depending on what your budget is. They have some for as little as 40.00.

Heres the starter page... http://www.pancharmbracelets.com/content/category.cfm?sessionid=10614211102118121&site_id=4&category_id=114

MR2-Sooner86
2/12/2011, 12:30 AM
I hate VD because it's such a pain in the ***. Last year I was talking to this girl and I purposely asked her out a week afterwards so I wouldn't have to do anything... except her.

The funniest thing I ever heard was in class a couple years ago. This woman was married and she was p*ssed off.

"So my husband toooootally forgot about Valentine's Day! I asked him what he got me and he paused and didn't tell me. Well he didn't get home until late! He bought me a set of cooking pans! He said he wanted to get me something I could use! How bad is that!?"

I laughed my *** off about it and she really didn't appreciate it.

soonerbrat
2/12/2011, 08:42 AM
I would be super happy with kitchen gadgets, there are a bunch of things I need. I'd have to do a wish list/gift registry though so I could make sure I ended up with the right ones.

olevetonahill
2/12/2011, 09:48 AM
I hate VD because it's such a pain in the ***. Last year I was talking to this girl and I purposely asked her out a week afterwards so I wouldn't have to do anything... except her.

The funniest thing I ever heard was in class a couple years ago. This woman was married and she was p*ssed off.

"So my husband toooootally forgot about Valentine's Day! I asked him what he got me and he paused and didn't tell me. Well he didn't get home until late! He bought me a set of cooking pans! He said he wanted to get me something I could use! How bad is that!?"

What kinda MARRIED woman aint already got a set of pots an pans ?

Flagstaffsooner
2/12/2011, 10:41 AM
What kinda MARRIED woman aint already got a set of pots an pans ?Your EX. There're all dented from hitting you over the head with them.:D

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 11:58 AM

Valentines Day or STD ???

goingoneight
2/12/2011, 08:30 PM

Did I miss it? ****. :mad:

oh, well... there's always Christmas. :D

olevetonahill
2/12/2011, 08:33 PM
Heh, I broke up with the Bitch last night so I dont have to do **** :D

OULenexaman
2/12/2011, 11:02 PM
Heh, I broke up with the Bitch last night so I dont have to do **** :D BRILLIANT!!:D

soonerinabilene
2/12/2011, 11:05 PM
The mailman's still coming. It ain't a holiday.

4 pages and almost one month and nobody took a swing at this hanging curve?

OULenexaman
2/12/2011, 11:11 PM
more like a sinker..

badger
2/13/2011, 10:41 AM
Gentlemen and fellow ladies too, you now have one day. If you live in Oklahoma, you might be able to blame the weather for your package not arriving. Might. Worth a shot if nothing arrives by tomorrow :P

yermom
2/13/2011, 11:37 AM
I hate VD because it's such a pain in the ***.

a little penicillin ought to clear that up nicely

Flagstaffsooner
2/13/2011, 01:03 PM
He went to Jered, I went to Walmart.

HBick
2/13/2011, 02:23 PM
Target is having a huge sale on flowers for those in the OKC area. Or you can try and order some tomorrow but I doubt that would work out.

Flagstaffsooner
2/13/2011, 02:39 PM
Badger is really pushing this valentines crap. WTF?

MR2-Sooner86
2/13/2011, 03:22 PM
Badger is really pushing this valentines crap. WTF?

She's a woman. Women love VD.

Flagstaffsooner
2/13/2011, 03:29 PM
She's a woman. Women love VD.I aint touchin that one.:pop:n

MR2-Sooner86
2/13/2011, 03:32 PM
I aint touchin that one.:pop:

That's what she said ;)

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 05:11 PM
Our Valentine's day plans are pretty simple this year. We're going to cook a meal at home, have a bottle of champagne from our wedding, and watch a movie.

Opera Man outdid himself for our very first Valentine's Day, though. He gave me an pair of mother of pearl, antique, Parisian opera glasses. Then that evening he was performing the lead baritone role Zurga in Bizet's opera "Les Pêcheurs de Perles" (The Pearl Fishers). There's a duet between the tenor and the baritone ("Au fond du temple saint") where they sing about seeing a beautiful woman and falling in love at first sight. Opera Man spotted me in the audience and sang the entire aria directly to me. How many people get THAT for Valentine's Day? :D

badger
2/14/2011, 09:29 AM
How many people get THAT for Valentine's Day? :D

I know one poster here who got this today:
http://i54.tinypic.com/jpx9g7.jpg

And I must say, he looks very cute in it :hot:

yermom
2/14/2011, 09:40 AM
yeah, i'm sure you'll never borrow that :D

MR2-Sooner86
2/14/2011, 09:54 AM
There's this girl I'm kind of seeing and she has this really cool barbeque set. Anyway, I got her this apron to go with it.

http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/composition/9500751/view/1/producttypecolor/4/type/png/width/280/height/280

badger
2/14/2011, 11:37 AM
yeah, i'm sure you'll never borrow that :D

It's too big for me... but admittedly, that hasn't stopped me from stealing his shirts in the past :D

MR2, hope she has the same sense of humor as you. I know if it was me I'd laugh.

Also, if you all aren't interested in spending money, there are two alternative options on the tee vee tonight:

1- OU vs UConn women's basketball at 6 p.m. tonight on ESPN. Nothing says "I love you" like teaching your significant other to cheer for the Sooners.

2- The Westminster Dog Show on the USA Network. You can pass this off as the "shopping for future puppy" show if you want. That's how NP got me started on watching it a few years ago (and then we got two mutts, hehe). Your heart will absolutely melt at the sight of some of these little critters :D

MamaMia
2/14/2011, 05:13 PM
My husband likes to travel, I love going to the movies, and he loves Pink Floyd. I got him this...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/MikesValentine.jpg

Oldnslo
2/14/2011, 06:19 PM
The Wife Unit got me a sweater for Hanukkah. She liked it so much that I got her the ladies' version for V-day.

And after chewing wholesale *** with fedex, they finally got the damn box delivered today, only 14 days after I ordered the thing. So it should all be good. :)