PDA

View Full Version : Could You Stay Eligible

Crimson Kid
1/14/2011, 10:13 AM
If you were a student athlete could you stay out of trouble with the NCAA?

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2011/01/quiz-could-you-stay-eligible-for-college-athletics/

Looks like could but i missed 3 chances at things i could do.

Post your results.

0-Violations
3 - Missed Opportunity's

1.MISSED OPPORTUNITY! You didn’t accept a free trip home to be honored at your high school and you missed a great event for no reason!

16.1.7.1 Hometown Awards. A hometown group may pay reasonable and necessary expenses of a student- athlete returning home to receive an award for athletics accomplishments.

2.MISSED OPPORTUNITY! You turned down $30 from your coach to cover extra costs coming from showing around a potential recruit. Too bad — the NCAA rules say taking that money is OK, as long as you don’t use it to buy souvenirs.

13.6.7.5 Student Host. The student host must be either a current student-athlete or a student designated in a manner consistent with the institution’s policy for providing campus visits or tours to prospective students in general. The institution may provide the following to a student host entertaining a prospective student-athlete: (a) A maximum of $30 for each day of the visit to cover all actual costs of entertaining the student host(s) and the prospective student-athlete (and the prospective student-athlete’s parents, legal guardians or spouse), excluding the cost of meals and admission to campus athletics events. The cost of entertainment of the institution’s athletics department staff members who accompany the prospective student-athlete is also excluded. If an athletics department staff member serves as the prospective student-athlete’s host, his or her entertainment costs must be included in the entertainment allowance. The entertainment allowance may not be used for the purchase of souvenirs, such as T-shirts or other institutional mementos. It is permissible to provide the student host with an additional $15 per day for each additional prospective student-athlete the host entertains.

3.MISSED OPPORTUNITY! You turned down $30 from your coach to cover extra costs coming from showing around a potential recruit. Too bad — the NCAA rules say taking that money is OK, as long as you don’t use it to buy souvenirs.

13.6.7.5 Student Host. The student host must be either a current student-athlete or a student designated in a manner consistent with the institution’s policy for providing campus visits or tours to prospective students in general. The institution may provide the following to a student host entertaining a prospective student-athlete: (a) A maximum of $30 for each day of the visit to cover all actual costs of entertaining the student host(s) and the prospective student-athlete (and the prospective student-athlete’s parents, legal guardians or spouse), excluding the cost of meals and admission to campus athletics events. The cost of entertainment of the institution’s athletics department staff members who accompany the prospective student-athlete is also excluded. If an athletics department staff member serves as the prospective student-athlete’s host, his or her entertainment costs must be included in the entertainment allowance. The entertainment allowance may not be used for the purchase of souvenirs, such as T-shirts or other institutional mementos. It is permissible to provide the student host with an additional $15 per day for each additional prospective student-athlete the host entertains.

Congratulations! You walked the straight and narrow, NCAA-style. Combine that compliance with your talents, and you’re a first-round draft pick in the NFL. Nicely done.

I wanna get paid and nothing offered could top what the NFL would pay me.

Crimson Kid
1/14/2011, 10:15 AM
Link messed up fixed now.

SoonerAtKU
1/14/2011, 11:24 AM
HA! Coach "Ron Flake" at UNC potentially offering improper benefits? Glorious.

olevetonahill
1/14/2011, 11:37 AM
Well I aint Pryor, But I do have to sit out a game .
Dayum Communist;)

Aries
1/14/2011, 11:50 AM
It made my computer blue-screen, so I think some agent or somebody needs to buy me a new laptop.

Or I'll just steal one... :)

Doged
1/14/2011, 12:00 PM
Pretty fun...I walked the straight and narrow but had two missed opportunities.

Mississippi Sooner
1/14/2011, 12:05 PM
Two violations and one missed opportunity. But, I was honest with the NCAA so there was no trouble.

texas bandman
1/14/2011, 01:15 PM
No violations, 2 missed opportunities. I'm a Boy Scout. :D

jdd12
1/14/2011, 01:15 PM
12.4.2.1 Fee-for-Lesson Instruction. A student athlete may receive compensation for teaching or coaching sport skills or techniques in his or her sport on a fee-for-lesson basis.

Will you coach my son for $10,000 a lesson? :P

agoo758
1/14/2011, 01:28 PM
I would go play football for Te*as, accept 100K, and then report them and see what happens. :pop:

MojoRisen
1/14/2011, 01:56 PM
Probation LOL

I needed some clothes, Free Food sorry!

Leroy Lizard
1/14/2011, 02:49 PM
There are no missed opportunities. The athletic department informs student athletes of the rules, and you can always call the department to ask them.

For example, consider...

You turned down $30 from your coach to cover extra costs coming from showing around a potential recruit. Too bad — the NCAA rules say taking that money is OK, as long as you don’t use it to buy souvenirs

Student athletes not playing for tOSU already know that they will be reimbursed for such expenses. Besides, if the coach is giving you the money you take it. He knows the rules, and if he was crooked he would tell you to keep the transaction quiet, at which point you know the transaction is an NCAA violation.

This isn't that hard.

allanace16
1/14/2011, 07:39 PM
No violations, no missed opportunities.

But then I've sat through OU's compliance seminar before, so I kinda "cheated". Guess it shows OU's doing it's job though....

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 07:46 PM
2 violations, no missed opportunities. I'm trouble in heels.

Soonerfan88
1/14/2011, 07:51 PM
No violations, one missed opportunity. I didn't let the sorority use my image on the shirts.

CowboyMRW
1/14/2011, 08:16 PM
Dang, 2 Violations and 1 missed Opportunity.

That's crazy that if stuff is offered to the whole team that you can't accept it. Like the homecooked meal one

reevie
1/14/2011, 08:26 PM
1 Violation, 2 missed opportunities