PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops................

SOONER44EVER
1/14/2011, 12:37 AM
.............was sitting in the row in front of us at the Thunder game tonight. I should have told my daughters to go make friends with his son. :)

sooner59
1/14/2011, 12:39 AM
Did he give Kevin Durant a horns down sign? :pop:

SOONER44EVER
1/14/2011, 12:39 AM
He he give Kevin Durant a horns down sign? :pop:

KD was a horn???

SoonerGrant
1/14/2011, 12:40 AM
I saw him on the big screen and yelled as loud as I could :D

gaylordfan1
1/14/2011, 01:23 AM
KD was a horn???

Really? Yes, he was.... But the kid is on our side of the tracks now. Might as well be Sooner born.

sooner59
1/14/2011, 01:44 AM
Heh. I really like Kevin Durant. Great player. Seems humble and down to earth. Probably because he only spent one year in Austin and Oklahoma is a better place for him.

jdsooner
1/14/2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks to great tickets from a friend, I sat not far from him. Let me hasten to add that I am usually in Loud City. Bob looked very relaxed and posed for pictures with some fans. I think winning the Big 12 and a BCS bowl has Bob feeling great.

My final observation is that Dwight Howard is a BEAST!

agoo758
1/14/2011, 02:43 AM
I've never met Stoops, but I probably would not have the balls (or the stupidity?) to walk up to him and start a conversation, I have heard some stories about him being openly annoyed about people who have done this. :eek:

Nothing personal of course, he is just an all-business no-nonsense type of guy.

DarrellZero
1/14/2011, 04:03 AM
I've never met Stoops, but I probably would not have the balls (or the stupidity?) to walk up to him and start a conversation, I have heard some stories about him being openly annoyed about people who have done this. :eek:

Being a famous and accomplished football coach doesn't automatically make a person a social butterfly.

Bob seems to primarily value family and friends. I can respect that.

A certain amount of gladhanding with fans is also a part of the job; Stoops understands this and engages in a fair amount of it. I think at some point he just reaches his limit of interacting with strangers. I know I would.

CrimsonRez
1/14/2011, 04:21 AM
I was in loud city and saw him when they showed him and his boys on the big screen. What I did notice though is how he seemed to have gotten a facial or spent time in the spa or something cause that man looked like a new person. Amazing what a championship will do for your looks :D. For the point of being a social butterfly, I could give a **** less if he likes talking to people or not as long as he has us winning ball games.

sooner59
1/14/2011, 04:26 AM

My friend's "married" mother (who's husband was with her) was all over Bob at a restaurant in Norman (she was drunk). It was hilarious. Although, I imagine it was awkward for Bob and his wife (who was also there). Luckily, most of her stuff was about "his boys" (ou fb players). Pathetic.

Sam Bradford was at Chili's in Norman while me and my fiance were there in 2008. I saw him and tried to not make it noticeable. Then two chicks walked up and asked for pictures with him. It was sad. He was with friends and obviously just wanted to be left alone. But girls are girls.

oumartin
1/14/2011, 07:20 AM
It was good to see Bobby there. I tried to get down there to talk to him but security wasn't buying my "I'm good friends with Bob Stoops" line.

We had to leave at the end of the third cuz it was a two hour drive home and I had to be at work at 5:30 this morning. I missed one heck of a fourth quarter :(

Hated seeing the empty seats though.

Dwight
1/14/2011, 08:30 AM
…is awesome.

Soonermagik
1/14/2011, 09:01 AM
It was good to see Bobby there. I tried to get down there to talk to him but security wasn't buying my "I'm good friends with Bob Stoops" line.

We had to leave at the end of the third cuz it was a two hour drive home and I had to be at work at 5:30 this morning. I missed one heck of a fourth quarter :(

The game looked packed on tv.

oumartin
1/14/2011, 09:10 AM
Loud city had alot of empty seats, quite a few in the lower sections too but when people stand up you can't tell there are any empty seats.

OUNASH
1/14/2011, 09:19 AM
Should have told Bob that he has no excuses if he doesnt bring home number 8 next season. I bet that would have gotten you some looks.

TUSooner
1/14/2011, 09:28 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leslie Miles

budbarrybob
1/14/2011, 09:33 AM
Didn't happen if you don't have a pic of it... ;)

rekamrettuB
1/14/2011, 09:59 AM
.............was sitting in the row in front of us at the Thunder game tonight. I should have told my daughters to go make friends with his son. :)

Sons

I have a funny story related to the post above about Stoops (I have heard some stories about him being openly annoyed about people who have done this):

Went with a few buddies to Red/White game in 2004 (I think...Pelini was there) and afterwards headed to Louie's. Apparently we had a prime table as it was the last one to the North that weren't reserved for coaches. Well we had several margaritas and beers and such when some of the coaches started arriving. Venables, Stoops, Pelini etc. Well when we get ready to cash out I made a deal w/ one of my friends that if he would ask Stoops to sign my credit card receipt that I would foot the bill. So he nervously takes my receipt up to Stoops, who at the time was talking to a couple folks. He waits until he's done. Stoops shoots him down by saying "I'm not signing anyone's credit card receipt" and chuckled a couple times. Buddy said he was actually quite amused and spoke with him briefly afterwards. Said he was actually pretty nice.

I knew he would get shot down and was setting him up because I was ready to see the wrath of Stoops. I was hoping he would pull a headset out of his back pocket and start throwing it around yelling at him. He didn't tho. It was worth it. My friend was scared and almost backed out at the last second.

soonervegas
1/14/2011, 10:14 AM
I asked Bob for an autograph outside of Outback in Norman once, instead he threw me to the ground and yelled at me to "bite the curb!"

OUmillenium
1/14/2011, 10:19 AM

Dead giveaway...if you were good friends, you would have called him "Bobby" like all the tv announcers who are his nearest, dearest friends and go wayyyyyyyy back with him.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 10:22 AM
Stoops has morphed since first coming to Norman. He used to be a lot more open with fans than he is now. I can understand why he's become more guarded.

I have chatted with him sitting in the Greek House back in maybe 2000-2002 timeframe a couple times. I'm pretty sure he doesn't go in there anymore because even then, everybody was gawking/pointing/commenting.

After the 2000 NC, I was with a couple of my kids down by the Switzer Center when Stoops walked by. I go "hey Coach" and he stops and chats for about 4-5 minutes with my kids. Signed their T-shirts for them.

I was upstairs taking care of some business at the Switzer Center and I chatted with him in the hallway for a while. Probably couldn't even get up there now.

My wife got me a couple of things autographed by him and Switzer for gifts when I got my Masters degree in May of 2000. He signed them for her in his office while they chatted. Switzer signed them for her sitting in his old chicken joint that closed down. You can't just go up to the offices anymore.

I've been to most of the banquets, awards ceremonies, etc. that they throw at my place of employ. He's a little more quiet/standoffish than he used to be. He still yucks it up with the players though. They were showing videos of each coach from back when they played ball. It was a crackup. One play they showed Stoops getting burned on a TD pass when Iowa was playing OU. The place came apart. Some of the players were rolling on the floor and Stoops took it all good naturedly.

We've got a real gem in this guy and I hope he stays for a long, long time.

badger
1/14/2011, 10:27 AM

I've heard that's only when you start questioning his past decisions or giving him coaching advice.

One guy (might have been on here) said he encountered Stoops in a bathroom in 2004 and remarked quietly that Stoops probably wishes that he played Paul Thompson in the Sugar Bowl/MNC. Stoops was apparently furious. Well, duh. In retrospect, I'm sure the guy understands now why ENA was not the MNC quarterback, but to suggest that to Stoops... in a bathroom?!?! Oh man... :(

So anyway, for the love of Stoops, do not give him coaching advice or question his past decisions. Leave that to the Sports Animal and ESPN :rolleyes:

85sooners
1/14/2011, 12:11 PM
Lol

stoopified
1/14/2011, 12:33 PM
Is the man

winout
1/14/2011, 01:13 PM
Right after he was hired, he was at KTUL in Tulsa for their Sunday night local sports show and since I knew a program guy up there he and I got to talk to Bob two-on-one for about 10 mins. before the show. We asked him his favorite place to coach so far and he said "KSU, mainly cause of the closeness of the staff" and I got the impression he wasn't a move from job to job type guy. He also said the talent at OU (at that time) was "over reported" which I took to mean it was not as good as what he left at UF.

agoo758
1/14/2011, 01:19 PM
I've heard that's only when you start questioning his past decisions or giving him coaching advice.

Well, I would hope that one would be decent enough not to do that anyway.

badger
1/14/2011, 01:23 PM
Well, I would hope that one would be decent enough not to do that anyway.

At least not in person! I mean, we all go off on angry rants here when we run the ball up the middle a little bit too much (mostly back during Chuck Long days, yes) but when you see your Visor Daddy in person, you should do nothing but shake his hand and thank him repeatedly for bringing OU football out of the dark ages (aka the 90s)

agoo758
1/14/2011, 01:26 PM
At least not in person! I mean, we all go off on angry rants here when we run the ball up the middle a little bit too much (mostly back during Chuck Long days, yes) but when you see your Visor Daddy in person, you should do nothing but shake his hand and thank him repeatedly for bringing OU football out of the dark ages (aka the 90s)

I wonder how someone would feel if they did something that stupid only to realize that the coach of their favorite team doesn't like them as a result.:P

PalmBeachSooner
1/14/2011, 01:43 PM

Nothing like a Thunder game to bring out the celebrities.

Mississippi Sooner
1/14/2011, 01:51 PM
The only OU coach I ever met in an impromptu setting was ol' Smellybourbon. It was about 3/4 way through the 95 season, so he wasn't in a good mood. Then again, neither was I.

It's kinda funny now that I think about it. I saw him and thought "hey, there's the coach." In the very next second I thought "so what?" I turned and went in the other direction.

SoonerAtKU
1/14/2011, 02:13 PM
I wonder how someone would feel if they did something that stupid only to realize that the coach of their favorite team doesn't like them as a result.:P

I worked with a guy in Kansas who was a huge OU fan. Both in weight and fanaticism. He met Bob in some handshake line somewhere and tried to tell him how to defend Seneca Wallace. Bob looked this idiot dead in his eye and told him "That's just how you should play it when YOU coach a football team."

Thanks, Coach, for finally shutting that bigmouth up.

humblesooner
1/14/2011, 09:36 PM
At the Caravan in Houston in 2001 (after winning the NC), Bob was at a table signing autographs. The event coordinator came by after a while and said "Coach we need to get the program started." His reply was "These people want to get autographs. They are the reason we are here. We will start the program when there is no one else in line".
Since that time, he stills makes as much time as he can, but is usually on a tight schedule.
Funny story: Last year when the Caravan was in Houston, most of us were in the room with the buffet line and you can hear Bob talking in the main room. When we went in, Bob was setting up on the stage with a microphone, taking questions from the audience. The program had not started yet. I think he plays golf when he comes down. We guessed he had had a couple of drinks. He seemed lighter (looser) than the recent past.

JLEW1818
1/14/2011, 10:42 PM
At the Caravan in Houston in 2001 (after winning the NC), Bob was at a table signing autographs. The event coordinator came by after a while and said "Coach we need to get the program started." His reply was "These people want to get autographs. They are the reason we are here. We will start the program when there is no one else in line".
Since that time, he stills makes as much time as he can, but is usually on a tight schedule.
Funny story: Last year when the Caravan was in Houston, most of us were in the room with the buffet line and you can hear Bob talking in the main room. When we went in, Bob was setting up on the stage with a microphone, taking questions from the audience. The program had not started yet. I think he plays golf when he comes down. We guessed he had had a couple of drinks. He seemed lighter (looser) than the recent past.

I just moved to Kingwood from Dallas. U still in this area?

texaspokieokie
1/15/2011, 10:48 AM
at a meeting of the "OU club of dallas" i shook hands with Schnelly.
twas before the season so he was in a good mood. i was happy with his hire, he had won an nc @ miami.

@ another meeting of OU cod, we were @ the restaurant of which Barry
was part owner. after he gave his talk (speech or whatever) he went into the
bar & my wife followed him in there with her copy of "Bootleggere Boy.

she said he very graciously autographed her book. she's very proud of the book.

Sooner Cal
1/15/2011, 11:03 AM
Just imagine being bugged by strangers all the time when you're out in public. He may be the OU head coach, but he still a normal guy. When I lived in Westwood, we saw movie & TV stars all the time. We left them alone because we respected their need for a normal life. People in Oklahoma should do the same with Bob. There are lots of stories of how Bob gives his time to sick kids. I suspect he gives more of his time to others than most of the people who complain when he doesn't give them an autograph.

OUthunder
1/15/2011, 11:16 AM
I have met Switzer and smells of bourbon. Ironically, I met them at the same place, a restaurant in OKC called the Haunted House.

brian
1/15/2011, 11:53 AM
This thread has kind of morphed a little, so I will drop in my switzer story. I met Switzer on the sideline of the OU A&M 2000 game in college station. I was sitting in the folding chairs on the track they were selling (horrible view, but Torrance Marshall ran that int back just feet in front of me). Im not much for autographs or celebrity, but Switzer was down there talking to everyone signing stuff so I had him sign the hat I had been wearing for that season. I don't remember the exact wording, but he signs it and says "boy, that is a damn dirty hat... shouldnt be wearing it" I just thought it was classic Switzer.

I saw Sam Bradford packed into Victorias eating dinner with his parents right next to my table right before the 2009 season. It was obvious he does not like the attention, he had a hat pulled down low and was setting so he was not facing anyone else in the restaurant. It appeared he made it through dinner without being bothered which I thought must be a rarity for him.

ouduckhunter
1/15/2011, 04:26 PM
The past few times that I've been in Norman, I've seen him on Campus Corner. As we've passed each other I've said hi coach, and he always gives me a real friendly, "hi are are you doing" back in that booming voice of his! It is always a highlight of my trip! That and multiple sightings of Gerald McCoy!

SoonerInLubbock
1/15/2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks to great tickets from a friend, I sat not far from him. Let me hasten to add that I am usually in Loud City. Bob looked very relaxed and posed for pictures with some fans. I think winning the Big 12 and a BCS bowl has Bob feeling great.

My final observation is that Dwight Howard is a BEAST!

That and the fact Bob knows he has a spectacular team going into next year. That would put a smile on anyone's face.

MamaMia
1/15/2011, 05:39 PM
Hes a nice guy and his wife is really sweet. After staying at so many away game hotels over the years and being in the lobby when the team arrives, hes seen plenty of us. We also try to take the kids to autographing sessions here in Oklahoma. Stoops nicknamed my husband and I "the front line." I don't bother him, but he usually comes over at some point to say hello.

Sooner70
1/15/2011, 08:48 PM
A buddy of mine went to a Switzer & player signing thing one time & had a terry cloth baby bib he was going to get signed for my new OU daughter (which actually ended up at St. Louis U...go figger).

Anyway, when Barry bore down on the terry cloth with the black Sharpie, he squawked "I can't sign anything that's terrycloth."

My buddy said, "...but coach it's for a baby Sooner".. ...He squinted and said " in that case...ok.." and he worked with it till he could produce a legible signature. Switzer is pure OU football. Always will be. My Mom thinks Barry hangs the moon. Better not say anything bad about Barry.

Stoops has a very quick wit. He seems never at a loss for a comeback when people hit him wrong. OU is very fortunate to have Bob Stoops. He's a wonderful coach & person.

Turd_Ferguson
1/15/2011, 08:55 PM
I was upstairs at Loui's one night. Bobby was by himself sip'n a beer and smok'n a stogy...Everytime I looked at him, he was look'n at me...It gave me a boner and then I automatically thought of Fraggle...

Leroy Lizard
1/15/2011, 09:39 PM
Stoops has morphed since first coming to Norman. He used to be a lot more open with fans than he is now. I can understand why he's become more guarded.

I have chatted with him sitting in the Greek House back in maybe 2000-2002 timeframe a couple times.

Heh.

SoonerMarkVA
1/15/2011, 10:01 PM
Switzer signed them for her sitting in his old chicken joint that closed down.

Kinda tangential, but man that place was terrible. I came back to visit in 1999, I believe it was, and went there with my HS bud, actually pretty excited to try it. The service was awful (complete and utter indifference) and when we ordered everything we asked for they were out of. I finally said, "Forget it. Just bring me whatever you *do* have." Don't even remember what it was, but I was sure I was never coming back.

cyclonesooner
1/16/2011, 11:33 PM
Nice to see Bob at the game the other night, but he could've at least stopped at a barbershop on the way and got those kids a decent haircut.

Leroy Lizard
1/16/2011, 11:43 PM
Kinda tangential, but man that place was terrible. I came back to visit in 1999, I believe it was, and went there with my HS bud, actually pretty excited to try it. The service was awful (complete and utter indifference) and when we ordered everything we asked for they were out of. I finally said, "Forget it. Just bring me whatever you *do* have." Don't even remember what it was, but I was sure I was never coming back.

I like it, but the location...

oubose
1/17/2011, 09:48 PM
What would you say to GOD if you ever met him? Next time think about it before you go to a Thunder game.