PDA

View Full Version : Garrick McGee to Tulsa....

adoniijahsooner
1/13/2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds like it may be legit, but who knows these days?

http://arkansasnews.com/2011/01/13/reports-say-mcgee-is-tulsas-choice/

Report: McGee is Tulsa’s Choice
Posted on 13 January 2011

Arkansas offensive coordinator Garrick McGee is on the verge of being introduced as Tulsa’s head coach, according to InsideTulsaSports.com.
The site indicates McGee has been offered the position and is expected to accept it.

McGee, who interviewed with Tulsa on Wednesday, reportedly met with officials once again today.
If McGee is introduced Tulsa’s coach it would be his first head coaching job. But McGee, 37, is a Tulsa native who has deep ties to the state. He played high school football at Booker T. Washington High for his father, the late Larry McGee. He also played at Oklahoma for two seasons. And for the past three years McGee has headed up Arkansas’ recruiting efforts in the state, helping the Hogs land several prospects.
The list includes: Oklahoma players on Arkansas roster include: Guard Alvin Bailey, linebacker Terrell Williams, cornerback Eric Bennett and linebacker Jarrett Lake.

McGee wrapped up his third season on Petrino’s staff and his first as offensive coordinator, replacing Paul Petrino after the coach left for a similar position at Illinois in Dec. 2009. McGee has worked with Arkansas’ quarterbacks for three seasons and coached Ryan Mallett, who rewrote the school’s passing records.
Before Arkansas, McGee worked as receivers coach (2004-05) and offensive coordinator (2006-07) at Northwestern. He also had a stint in the NFL with the Jacksonville Jaguars, working as offensive quality control coach while Petrino was the team’s offensive coordinator (2000-01).
If negotiations are finalized, McGee would be the second offensive coordinator and third offensive assistant to leave Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino’s staff the past two years. Paul Petrino left to become offensive coordinator at Illinois last December. Offensive line coach Mike Summers left for a position at Kentucky.

Petrino didn’t waste time filling the spots. McGee was named Arkansas’ new offensive coordinator shortly after Paul Petrino’s departure. Chris Klenakis was named Arkansas’ offensive line coach.

It’s not quite clear where Petrino will turn for his next offensive coordinator. Klenakis is one possibility, though. He worked as offensive coordinator at three different stops (Nevada, Southern Mississippi and Central Missouri) before joining Petrino’s staff last winter.

sooner59
1/13/2011, 08:56 PM
:pop:

reevie
1/13/2011, 09:26 PM
Good for him

winout
1/13/2011, 09:34 PM
Hope he gets the job.

oubose
1/13/2011, 09:54 PM
Every squirrel finds a nut

85sooners
1/13/2011, 11:21 PM
:pop:

texaspokieokie
1/14/2011, 09:49 AM
sounds like a good deal, all around.

hope he has great success @ Tulsa !!!

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/14/2011, 10:04 AM
So this would make him the only former Sooner to have a current head coaching gig, and the first since Boo, right?

Mad Dog Madsen
1/14/2011, 10:05 AM
Seems like a good hire. I hope he does well.

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 10:14 AM
They reportedly offered the job to A&M DC DeRuyter but he turned down their offer. I'm glad they moved on to Garrick instead of something stupid like Bill Blankenship.

Sooner_Bob
1/14/2011, 10:21 AM
They reportedly offered the job to A&M DC DeRuyter but he turned down their offer. I'm glad they moved on to Garrick instead of something stupid like Bill Blankenship.

Jenks fan I take it? :D

ashley
1/14/2011, 10:31 AM
Reports say Mc Gee has withdrawn.

dynersooner
1/14/2011, 10:47 AM
REMEMBER WHEN HE LED US TO THE COPPER BOWL!?!?!?

badger
1/14/2011, 10:50 AM
Here is a report saying he withdrew

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110114_94_0_Arkans767264)

I strongly suspect that TU is lowballing offers to coaches, saying they'll have less budget to work with than Graham did and of course, less salary.

Wonder if at this rate, they'll have to go with Krag :confused:

mgsooner
1/14/2011, 11:19 AM
Good God they ARE hiring John Phillips, err, Bill Blankenship. I can't believe it. Welcome to mediocrity.

badger
1/14/2011, 11:20 AM
I started a new thread, but just in case you all click this one first, link here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110114_94_0_BillBl608081) on Blankenship

85sooners
1/14/2011, 12:13 PM
Fuk!