PDA

View Full Version : Wilson speculating

soonerz
1/13/2011, 07:29 PM
Now that all is done, do you think Michigan would have picked up Kevin Wilson if he was still available when RichRod was fired? I think so

JLEW1818
1/13/2011, 07:41 PM
No.. Wilson has zero head coaching experience. I'm not saying you have to have it. Stoops obviously didn't. There are rare exceptions.

sooner59
1/13/2011, 07:42 PM
Did Wilson play at Michigan? Because that's why they hired the new guy. Michigan man.

melrosebeach
1/13/2011, 07:46 PM
Did Wilson play at Michigan? Because that's why they hired the new guy. Michigan man.

I think he ate at a restaurant in Michigan....so that gives him a Michigan connection.

JLEW1818
1/13/2011, 07:48 PM
Wilson played at North Carolina

stoopified
1/13/2011, 08:00 PM
Hiring alums is overatted ,after all Gary Gibbs is the all-time winningest OU alum headcoach. I think KW made a mistake taking this job at IU.The Hoosiers are K-State pre-Snyder.I wish him the best but I think he is done in 3-4 years.There are at least 75 better jobs in CFB.

JLEW1818
1/13/2011, 08:09 PM
Hiring alums is overatted ,after all Gary Gibbs is the all-time winningest OU alum headcoach. I think KW made a mistake taking this job at IU.The Hoosiers are K-State pre-Snyder.I wish him the best but I think he is done in 3-4 years.There are at least 75 better jobs in CFB.

i originally thought the same thing. However, say Wilson gets Indiana to 500% ball. Bigger schools will want him down the road. He has good history.

Gene went from Iowa State to Auburn.. even though he had Auburn ties.. Wilson has OU ties.

sooner59
1/13/2011, 08:11 PM
Well, didn't Chizik go like 5-7 at Iowa State and get the Auburn gig...only to win a national title two years later? Maybe he will go 5-7 with Indiana, get the job at a better school.

JLEW1818
1/13/2011, 08:17 PM
Well, didn't Chizik go like 5-7 at Iowa State and get the Auburn gig...only to win a national title two years later? Maybe he will go 5-7 with Indiana, get the job at a better school.

yep, that's what I'm saying. You don't have to completely 180 a program to get good future HC jobs.

SoonerMom2
1/13/2011, 08:28 PM
If Wilson gets Indiana to a Bowl Game, he will be a legend and if ever beats Ohio State, he has it made in Indiana. Don't think he would have been a good fit for Michigan with the mindset they have there now -- Michigan man or nothing it seems.

sooner518
1/13/2011, 10:24 PM
why is michigan so obssessed with hiring a "Michigan man"? them and NOtre Dame seem to care more about whether or not a coach has been there before rather than whether or not hes a good coach.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/13/2011, 10:25 PM

He went 5-19 at ISU

sooner59
1/13/2011, 10:48 PM
Heh. But to his credit...ISU couldn't afford players like Cam. He just had to work with ISU-quality players.

yankee
1/13/2011, 10:50 PM
Heh. But to his credit...ISU couldn't afford players like Cam. He just had to work with ISU-quality players.

Paul Rhoads hasn't used that excuse!

Now THAT man, can coach.

Chizik's true coaching capabilities (or lack thereof) will be on full display now that cammy cam is off to flop in the NFL. Aubarn will go back to middling in the SEC.

sooner59
1/13/2011, 11:02 PM
I agree about Rhodes. If doesn't flop next year (which I don't expect), then he will probably get some looks by better programs....or at least he should.

texaspokieokie
1/14/2011, 10:23 AM
If Wilson gets Indiana to a Bowl Game, he will be a legend and if ever beats Ohio State, he has it made in Indiana. Don't think he would have been a good fit for Michigan with the mindset they have there now -- Michigan man or nothing it seems.

first things first; needs to work on beating purdue on a regular basis.

JRAM
1/14/2011, 01:31 PM
Hoke is not a Michigan man. He didn't play there. He did, however, coach there for a couple of years once.

sooner59
1/14/2011, 02:33 PM
Hoke is not a Michigan man. He didn't play there. He did, however, coach there for a couple of years once.

Good call. I didn't realize that. But to the administration and alumni, by coaching there before, he is considered a Michigan man.

badger
1/14/2011, 02:38 PM
The alums appeared to have demanded for a "Michigan man" someone with some sort of Michigan ties.

So... I guess that would rule KW out

bent rider
1/14/2011, 02:55 PM
Paul Rhoads hasn't used that excuse!

Now THAT man, can coach.

Chizik's true coaching capabilities (or lack thereof) will be on full display now that cammy cam is off to flop in the NFL. Aubarn will go back to middling in the SEC.

Unless they buy another player.

Sooner_Tuf
1/15/2011, 03:58 AM
Rich Rod is now a Michigan Man. Former Head Coach he is.