PDA

View Full Version : Need lodging advise in Norman

bigjim1216
1/13/2011, 04:15 PM
Looks like I'm going to be able to make the OU/Baylor BB game on Feb 1st and since it's been over 40 years since I went to OU, I don't know much about Norman any more. Any advise on a good place to stay and some good eating places would be appreciated.

Thanks

soonerfan4life
1/13/2011, 04:27 PM
there are alot of nice places to stay in norman

bigjim1216
1/13/2011, 04:31 PM
What do you suggest near Loyd Noble? I have a Baylor grad coming with me and I would like to show him around the campus a bit. What are the good hangouts that serve a pretty good meal and a cold brew?

Soonerite
1/13/2011, 04:48 PM
Sooner legends inn and suites is a great restaurant and hotel but I've heard it's a bit pricey. It's right off of I 35 and Lyndsey. You also can't go wrong with pizza from Hideaway and they have a decent selection of beer.

bigjim1216
1/13/2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks, that's what I'll do.

OUthunder
1/13/2011, 05:40 PM
Embassy Suites is where my family and I always stay. 5-7 every night is free booze and free buffet or made to order breakfast. Staying there on Saturday btw. Clean, quiet hotel that really is quite nice.

bigjim1216
1/13/2011, 06:42 PM
I've stayed at Embasy Suites before and like them too. Are they close to campus.

OUthunder
1/13/2011, 07:03 PM
I've stayed at Embasy Suites before and like them too. Are they close to campus.

10 minutes.

Chiliman
1/13/2011, 07:37 PM
Stay @ The Embassy. Much nicer than Sooner Legends.

yermom
1/13/2011, 08:01 PM
nothing i can think of is that close to campus, except Sooner Suites:

http://www.ou.edu/content/housingandfood/sooner_suites/rates.html

even that is South of the dorms and a bit of a hike to Campus Corner

i think there is a bed and breakfast or two around the downtown/Campus Corner area though. i don't know much about them.

Dwight
1/13/2011, 08:23 PM
Sooner legends inn and suites is a great restaurant and hotel but I've heard it's a bit pricey. It's right off of I 35 and Lyndsey. You also can't go wrong with pizza from Hideaway and they have a decent selection of beer.

Pizza Shuttle is better

Soonerite
1/13/2011, 08:50 PM
:confused: Pizza shuttle is the place you go when you're hungry at 1 in the morning and you don't want McNuggets again. Hideaway is where you go to get real pizza. :D

3rdgensooner
1/13/2011, 08:58 PM
Marriott Postal Center is just up HWY 9 from LNC.

MsProudSooner2
1/14/2011, 12:00 AM
Residence Inn is closer to campus than Embassy Suites.

Soonerus
1/14/2011, 12:05 AM
Embassy Suites is Norman's nicest hotel currently...

sooner518
1/14/2011, 10:12 AM
:confused: Pizza shuttle is the place you go when you're hungry at 1 in the morning and you don't want McNuggets again. Hideaway is where you go to get real pizza. :D

if I was back in Norman and could only have pizza from one place, it would be Shuttle. memories......

to the OP, you could probably sleep in the Pizza Shuttle on Lindsey. Theyre probably too high to notice

TopDawg
1/14/2011, 12:19 PM
i think there is a bed and breakfast or two around the downtown/Campus Corner area though. i don't know much about them.

Montford Inn is pretty nice. It's up by the police station, so about half a mile to a mile from campus/campus corner.

Bigjim...has it been 40 years since you've been to Norman, too?

TopDawg
1/14/2011, 12:20 PM
Montford Inn is pretty nice. It's up by the police station, so about half a mile to a mile from campus/campus corner.

Oh, and then there's also a couple of spots on Boyd just a few blocks from Campus Corner...on the block just west of Flood. The place with that prairie woman statue carved out of an old tree. I think the place just to the west of that place is also a B&B.

soonerloyal
1/14/2011, 07:02 PM

Is Hideaway the campus place on Lindsey that used to offer pizza priced based on what the football game score was? Damn good pizza.

Try the Boomer Shroomers @ Pizza Shuttle, load it with the chicken and zucchini and everything - teh awesome. They have a few desserts there made by the La Baguette bakery, too.

Dayum, I miss Home. :(

Soonerite
1/14/2011, 08:49 PM
Is Hideaway the campus place on Lindsey that used to offer pizza priced based on what the football game score was? Damn good pizza.

Try the Boomer Shroomers @ Pizza Shuttle, load it with the chicken and zucchini and everything - teh awesome. They have a few desserts there made by the La Baguette bakery, too.

Dayum, I miss Home. :(

I think you're thinking of JJ's Pizza Stop, Hideaway is on campus corner next to the old bike shop. They both have excellent pizza.

TopDawg
1/18/2011, 10:15 AM
Hideaway did have the game-score promotion though. Whatever OU's score was, that was the percentage off of your order. I'm pretty sure that was the year we hung 77 on A&M. Stoops almost put Hideaway out of bidness that year.

101sooner
1/18/2011, 11:40 AM
The Super 8, LaQuinta Inn type places are always a gamble. Some are fine some are dives. Just so happens that the Super 8 at Main and I-35 in Norman is actually a clean, well managed Hotel. Good location, easy access to I-35, HWY 9, Main Street, etc. Lot's of restaurants nearby. I know some of you folks are all rich and everything and wouldn't even think about staying at a place like that, and I can appreciate that, but I try and stay for less than a hundred bucks a night usually.

101sooner
1/18/2011, 11:43 AM
Marriott Postal Center is just up HWY 9 from LNC.

That's a good place. Nice location for basketball and Football games.