PDA

View Full Version : The special color turf is getting out of hand

Mississippi Sooner
1/13/2011, 02:39 PM
Forget Boise State's blue turf. That's been done. New Braunfels (Texas) Canyon High wanted to make a statement with the school's new turf field, so it went with the Cougars' school color: Bright red.

As reported by TheOldCoach.com and the Dallas Morning News, Canyon officially unveiled the school's new bright red turf with a soccer scrimmage between the Cougars and Hays (Texas) High on Tuesday. While that scrimmage was the first chance for any teams to compete on the cornea-blazing surface, the first officially recorded games will come on Thursday, when both the Canyon boys and girls soccer teams kick off the Comal Cup Soccer Tournament, beginning with the Cougars girls squad's game at 9:00 a.m.

To get a sense of just how bright the red turf is, at the left of the photo above, check out the end zone, which has been left in the traditional green turf color ... at least for the moment.

Of course, the brand-new turf surface will also serve as the home of the Cougars football program starting in fall 2011, at which point Canyon will be the only high school program in the nation to use a red turf field. Division I-AA program Eastern Washington used a red turf field for the first time during the 2010 football season, and plans to continue using it in future seasons.

While the red turf makes Canyon's surface a pretty safe bet to be the nation's gaudiest at the moment (or at least one of two, along with Eastern Washington's), that honor may not last long if current plans for a forthcoming field in the Alamodome to accommodate the coming debutant University of Texas San Antonio football program actually evolves as is currently planned. Reports earlier this fall claimed the Roadrunners would use a bright orange field to match their school colors.

That orange field is so blazingly bright that it's almost impossible to believe until everyone actually sees it inside the Alamodome. The Canyon turf, on the other hand, is definitely very real, as the Cougars' opponents have already begun to discover.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Texas-school-unveils-nation-s-first-red-turf-hig?urn=highschool-306272

Grass, even fake grass, should be green.

Soonersince57
1/13/2011, 02:56 PM
Grotesque. Odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre.

TUSooner
1/13/2011, 02:57 PM
That's just wrong.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/13/2011, 02:59 PM
Kinda looks like Eastern Washington's field.

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2010/08/28/SRX_EWU_Red_14_t620.jpg?161ad8e426d1312361ed5892fd c121cdf327258d

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2010/08/28/SRX_EWU_Red_14_t620.jpg?161ad8e426d1312361ed5892fd c121cdf327258d

Soonerfan88
1/13/2011, 03:01 PM
I believe Eastern Washington has red turf. And I do believe it should be in the NCAA by-laws that all fields should be within the color range of natural grass, no matter the surface type.

Flagstaffsooner
1/13/2011, 03:11 PM
Tacky, cheap and boorish.

OrlandoSooner
1/13/2011, 03:15 PM
NB Canyon is the rival of Tom Wort's (and mine) New Braunfels High Unicorns.

Rumor has it that Canyon Cougars eat their boogers.

btb916
1/13/2011, 03:35 PM
I believe Eastern Washington has red turf. And I do believe it should be in the NCAA by-laws that all fields should be within the color range of natural grass, no matter the surface type.

I agree. Let 'em wear bright red socks but the field oughta be green.

SoonerPride
1/13/2011, 04:10 PM
It reminds me of the Ten Commandments. It looks like a river of blood.

KantoSooner
1/13/2011, 04:17 PM
Well, I'm from the '70's.

I'm wondering if we could have a psychodelic field?

It would be so cool, man.

stoopified
1/13/2011, 04:18 PM
Color turf hurts my eyes

NCarolinaSooner
My husband and I watched the Eastern Washington playoff game and debated the color throughout. It looked like red Christmas tinsel------just horrible! He liked it, but admitted that there should be some limits on color. I agree. The color should be limited to GREEN. I guess you have to grandfather in the messes (Boise) that are already out there, but if you ask me, this is way worse than saluting after a touchdown.

boomersooner28
Ghey

SoonerOX
1/13/2011, 04:48 PM
Uber Ghey....Grass is green dickweeds!

cccasooner2
1/13/2011, 05:00 PM
Isn't that blood libel red?

cleller
1/13/2011, 05:15 PM
There will be orange turf in Stillwater as soon as Boone unloads his windmills.

Landthief 1972
1/13/2011, 05:58 PM
I thought there were already rules against other colors for BCS teams. It seems like some color commentator was saying something about that during a Boise State game, and they are indeed grandfathered in.

SoonerMom2
1/13/2011, 06:49 PM
NB Canyon is the rival of Tom Wort's (and mine) New Braunfels High Unicorns.

Rumor has it that Canyon Cougars eat their boogers.

We moved to Norman from Boerne pending the closure of the depot at Kelly AFB in Jan 1997. Remember my son playing football at that stadium. Cannot feature it red. What made them do a dumb thing like that? Next you know Boerne will make theirs purple. :)

Leroy Lizard
1/13/2011, 09:02 PM
Can you imagine if Wyoming paints their field to match their school color? They would be instituting instant replay on almost every down.

"Brent, did the football come out before his knee was down?"

"Damned if I know."

sappstuf
1/13/2011, 09:07 PM
Forget Boise State's blue turf. That's been done. New Braunfels (Texas) Canyon High wanted to make a statement with the school's new turf field, so it went with the Cougars' school color: Bright red.

Grass, even fake grass, should be green.

They certainly made a statement.... Idiots.

oubose
1/13/2011, 10:18 PM
Sky is blue, grass is green and a college can't figure this out. WTF

bluedogok
1/13/2011, 10:35 PM
It seemed to work for Eastern Washington this season since they won the I-AA championship.

Jason
1/13/2011, 10:46 PM
Can you imagine if Wyoming paints their field to match their school color? They would be instituting instant replay on almost every down.

"Brent, did the football come out before his knee was down?"

"Damned if I know."
It would be chitty looking.

sooner59
1/13/2011, 10:53 PM
I say we do something neat with Owen Field, yet keep it respectable. Maybe keep the real grass, keep the green, but at some color to it. Throw in some crimson here, some cream there....who knows. Here is what I have pictured in my head:

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/files/2010/07/OU-stadium-1.jpg

:D

Leroy Lizard
1/13/2011, 11:36 PM
Snow white. Make the losing team get down on all fours and clean it.