View Full Version : Okie veterans may get US Flags in their drivers licenses

Okla-homey
1/13/2011, 01:30 PM
...as to why, I am uncertain.

Lawmaker wants veterans ID'd on Oklahoma driver's licences

By RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writer
Published: 1/13/2011 2:30 AM
Last Modified: 1/13/2011 7:29 AM

State Sen. Roger Ballenger, D-Okmulgee, thinks they ought to be able to have it on their driver's licenses, too.

"It's not going to turn Oklahoma around, but it gives a little pat on the back to veterans - older veterans, especially," he said.

Ballenger filed legislation last week that would allow veterans to have a special designation - similar to that of organ donors - on their driver's licenses and Department of Public Safety-issued identification cards.

The designation would be a small flag in the lower right portion of the license or ID card, next to where organ donors already are identified by a small heart.

Ballenger said he doesn't believe that adding the image to new licenses and ID cards will be a burden to tag agents or state agencies or create an additional expense.

The flag would be more than decoration; it would make life easier for veterans, he said.

Ballenger said the idea for the legislation arose from a conversation with his father, an 85-year-old World War II veteran.

"He saw there was going to be a gun show and that veterans were being admitted free," Ballenger said. "I think it was probably on the honor system, but he couldn't prove he was a veteran and he wouldn't go.

"That made me think there ought to be an easy way for veterans to identify themselves."

Details of exactly how veterans would prove their service have not been worked out, Ballenger said, but he said he has been assured that the process should be relatively easy.

"At first, we thought we'd have them present their discharge papers, but a lot of World War II veterans have put those away and don't know where they are anymore," he said.

About 330,000 veterans live in Oklahoma, according to the state's Department of Veterans Affairs.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110113_16_A5_CUTLIN781592

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/13/2011, 01:48 PM
merica

MR2-Sooner86
1/13/2011, 01:58 PM
If they do it, alright.
If they don't do it, alright.

If enough veterans want it though, it's not a finical burden to do so, then I say do it.

C&CDean
1/13/2011, 02:04 PM
If it keeps a cop from giving me a ticket then I'll get one. Otherwise, what's the point? Since I haven't gotten a ticket in years and years I'll probably pass - unless they just automatically put one there when I renew or something.

olevetonahill
1/13/2011, 02:10 PM
Pretty much what Dean said , Cept Id get one when I renew, but thats not for another 3an 1/2 years

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2011, 02:32 PM
If it keeps a cop from giving me a ticket then I'll get one.

Yep. I know a cop went easy on me once because I was a vet. Really kind of saved my *** big time.

It would make it easier to get my 10% discount @ Lowes and Home Depot too.

olevetonahill
1/13/2011, 02:35 PM
Yep. I know a cop went easy on me once because I was a vet. Really kind of saved my *** big time.

It would make it easier to get my 10% discount @ Lowes and Home Depot too.

They give ya a discount just because yer a Vet?

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2011, 03:00 PM
They give ya a discount just because yer a Vet?

Yeah you have to ask for it. I've never been denied.

Heres the official release. Seems they might have changed their policy;

"Straight from Stephen Holmes, Home Depot Public Relations:

10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID. All other military veterans will qualify for a 10 percent discount during normal holiday events (e.g., Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day). "

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2011, 03:02 PM
Here's lowes;

“All active, reserve, retired and disabled veterans and their immediate family members with a valid, government-issued military photo ID card are eligible for the discount year-round.

Valid, government-issued military IDs include the Veterans Identification Card (VIC); the Uniformed Services Identification Card, both Active Duty and Active Duty Family Member; and, the Common Access Card.

Lowe’s continues to give a 10 percent discount to all veterans who have a DD214 on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veteran’s Day.”

It looks like both stores changed their policy. Still cool though.

47straight
1/13/2011, 03:18 PM
Might end up with a couple formal or informal perks for veterans. Won't cost much to implement. Sounds pretty good.

Okla-homey
1/13/2011, 03:29 PM
I will state, from time to time, you'll encounter a cop, who either couldn't get in the military or was busted out, who has a hard-on for vets. That's why its not always a good idea to let 'em know you're an ex-GI. Those kinda guys are usually small town Barney Fife's though. Just sayin'

soonercruiser
1/13/2011, 10:15 PM
If it keeps a cop from giving me a ticket then I'll get one. Otherwise, what's the point? Since I haven't gotten a ticket in years and years I'll probably pass - unless they just automatically put one there when I renew or something.

"Funny"....but, actually it can!
I have only....ever....had one warning ticket....and one go-away warning for speeding.
The speeding was in Jackson Hole, WY. When I showed my "expired" WV driver's license, he said, "how come". I said the state doesn't require a renewal until I retire from the military.
He said "military active duty". And, when I showed my military ID, he said, "go, and sin no more"!
:D

texaspokieokie
1/14/2011, 10:56 AM
i was impressed that proposer of bill is from okmulgee.

WOW, i'm a vet, & also from okmulgee, but, live in tx.

Midtowner
1/14/2011, 11:11 AM
Not a big deal. If they do it, fine, if not, that's okay too. Chances are it'll die in committee if it turns out that implementation would be challenging. And it may be. Anyone know what the capabilities of the license-making printer are?

bonkuba
1/14/2011, 04:12 PM
Speaking of Vet discounts, etc......

I give all Vets free tire mounting and balancing as well as a free oil change or two every now and then.

I used to have a guy come over from the Vet Center that was a WWII vet......in two years he never paid for an oil change. I loved talking to him...all the wild stories. Sadly he passed away a few months back...I really miss him. If we only had more of his generation to kick the idjuts around these days we would be in much better shape.

Anyway, made me think of him......God rest his soul.

Veritas
1/14/2011, 05:24 PM
I will state, from time to time, you'll encounter a cop, who either couldn't get in the military or was busted out, who has a hard-on for vets. That's why its not always a good idea to let 'em know you're an ex-GI. Those kinda guys are usually small town Barney Fife's though. Just sayin'
That's some kind of ******* right there.

I think it's a good idea and if it gets our veterans out of a speeding ticket, well then good for them.