PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest College Sports Teams Need we say more?

sendbaht
1/12/2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2502/1/

Let r Rip

Look at number 3 :)

jumperstop
1/12/2011, 07:12 PM
We're on the smartest list at 24. Surprised we made that. What are they using to determine this? What is APR?

oubose
1/12/2011, 07:33 PM
haha! #3, uconn's in there to

NorCal Sooner
1/12/2011, 08:05 PM
What is APR and where was Stanford? I call BS on this....

soonercastor
1/12/2011, 08:07 PM
I don't get this sh*t!

Wishboned
1/12/2011, 08:10 PM
APR = Academic Progress Rates

DarrellZero
1/12/2011, 08:11 PM
Ok, nevermind.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2011, 08:11 PM
Where's Texas?

SoonerMom2
1/12/2011, 08:43 PM
I cracked up at this list which included OSU at #3 and CT #4 after some of the snobs we met from CT in the Phoenix area. Made my afternoon when I saw this in an email. Looks like the Big 12 Aggie schools are not doing too well -- A&M, K-State, and Iowa State join OSU on the list of 25.

mdklatt
1/12/2011, 09:08 PM
APR is kind of meaningless. It's good if you have a high APR, but a low APR isn't necessarily bad. If you have players leave early for the NFL or the NBA, for example, that counts against your APR. Transfers used to count against you, even if that player graduated from their new school, but I think they changed that. Or maybe not.

Mark_in_Tulsa
1/12/2011, 09:14 PM
6 pac-10 schools on that list.

That's 3/5 of them or 60% if you went to OSU and need help on the math.

MeMyself&Me
1/12/2011, 09:17 PM
Of course the aggie schools are going to be on the 'dumb' list. I found the 'smart' list more interesting. OU was number 24 on that one and the school south of here that thinks it's soooo ****ing smart... no where to be found (you know, the one that throws academics at you when they start to lose football smack arguments).

:)

sooner ngintunr
1/12/2011, 09:20 PM
APR is kind of meaningless. It's good if you have a high APR, but a low APR isn't necessarily bad. If you have players leave early for the NFL or the NBA, for example, that counts against your APR. Transfers used to count against you, even if that player graduated from their new school, but I think they changed that. Or maybe not.

According to my sources, if players leave early for pro careers it does not effect APR. It is more a semester to semester type thing. Transfers though are an entire different story, they are counted negatively.

and yes, my source is WIKI.:O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate

Soonerfan88
1/12/2011, 09:22 PM
Under the APR, each scholarship athlete has a possible 2 points given - 1 for staying eligible and 1 for continued enrollment at the school or graduation. Points earned/points possible X 1000 = APR. The NCAA calculates APR on a rolling 4 academic year basis. Any sport falling below 925 can be punished by losing scholarships.

Use basketball w/13 scholarship athletes. 1 graduates(2 pts), 8 make grades and enroll for next semester at same university(16 pts), 1 fails semester but enrolls for next semester(1), 1 makes grades but transfers(1), 1 fails out & leaves(0), and 1 makes grades & leaves for NBA(1).

21 points earned, 26 possible = APR of 807

mdklatt
1/12/2011, 09:24 PM
and yes, my source is WIKI.:O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate

Heh, I looked there too because I was trying to find more information. That's the only explanation I could find, and the link in the footnote is to dead link on the NCAA web site. I couldn't find anything about APR on the NCAA web site other than platitudes about student athletes yadda yadda. You can download detailed statistics for every school, but no explanation of how APR is calculated. :rolleyes:

sooner ngintunr
1/12/2011, 09:36 PM
Heh, I looked there too because I was trying to find more information. That's the only explanation I could find, and the link in the footnote is to dead link on the NCAA web site. I couldn't find anything about APR on the NCAA web site other than platitudes about student athletes yadda yadda. You can download detailed statistics for every school, but no explanation of how APR is calculated. :rolleyes:

But if you fall below 925 we're yankin schollys!!!!:rolleyes:

NCAA is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

tcrb
1/12/2011, 10:10 PM
I call BS. No way do 'bama, uf, ug, and ole miss belong on the smart list.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2011, 10:13 PM
Of course the aggie schools are going to be on the 'dumb' list. I found the 'smart' list more interesting. OU was number 24 on that one and the school south of here that thinks it's soooo ****ing smart... no where to be found (you know, the one that throws academics at you when they start to lose football smack arguments).

:)

There was probably a noticeable shift in their APR when VY left. Still wasn't enough.

Boomer38Sooner
1/12/2011, 11:16 PM
We're on the smartest!