PDA

View Full Version : And they wonder why we pirate movies.

Veritas
1/12/2011, 05:45 PM
Finished up with work a bit early. Graphics guys were a week late getting their work to us, which meant yours truly had to work like a slave the last 48 hours to get the client's site ready for their meetings tomorrow.

So I decide to pop in Inception, since I'd grabbed the DVD the other nite from Redbox.

Do I get to the movie? NO! After 5 minutes of forced previews out of 13 total, I said "**** this," fired up Handbrake, and I'm just ripping the ****ing thing.

Idiots.

NormanPride
1/12/2011, 05:46 PM
"This baby can flash fry a buffalo in 13 seconds."

"Aww, but I want it now~!"

Thaumaturge
1/12/2011, 06:42 PM
It's because this generation has a sense of entitlement.

AlboSooner
1/12/2011, 06:49 PM
I guess they're trying maximize profits.
I was in Shawnee a few weeks back and decided to watch the Fighter at their rinky dink movie theater. I kid you not, on the scheduled start time they showed about 15 minutes of commercials, and ten minutes of previews.

We were done with our popcorn before the movie started.

Veritas
1/12/2011, 07:19 PM
Sure they are.

But this is a bad way to go about it. I'm an early adopter of DVR and streaming technology. This is the first DVD I've picked up in months and it was basically on a whim. I usually stream via Netflix, iTunes, or Amazon VOD, but was at Walgreens and was like "what the hell."

Next time I'm at Walgreens, however, I'm going to remember this and just stream it via legitimate sources if I can find one. FWIW...I realize my title says "pirate" but I rarely do. Last thing I torrented was a certain ESPN reporter's morning routine. :D

bigfatjerk
1/12/2011, 07:24 PM
With as big as neflix is, I think eventually DVDs will be gone and there will just be sites where you can just watch DVDs online. And I bet TV will go this way in some ways also.

jumperstop
1/12/2011, 07:30 PM
You pirate them because of the previews? You know you can skip those. I pirate cause I would rather pay nothing than 20 dollars on a movie that probably sucks. If I like I'll go buy it, otherwise I'll never watch again. Same thing with music. I don't mind supporting the groups I like, but I like to test them out first.

Veritas
1/12/2011, 07:37 PM
You pirate them because of the previews? You know you can skip those. I pirate cause I would rather pay nothing than 20 dollars on a movie that probably sucks. If I like I'll go buy it, otherwise I'll never watch again. Same thing with music. I don't mind supporting the groups I like, but I like to test them out first.
I'm not a total moran. You can't skip them. That's the point here (which I did a poor job of communicating in the OP).

If you try to go to a menu or FFWD, you get a message that tells you "Operation Currently Prohibited by Disc."

More here: Operation Currently Prohibited by Disc (http://www.micromux.com/2010/02/03/operation-currently-prohibited-by-disc/)

bigfatjerk
1/12/2011, 07:39 PM
That's true. I think buying CDs is just a waste of time. You can find most of these songs for free in non pirate sites even.

jumperstop
1/12/2011, 07:44 PM
I'm not a total moran. You can't skip them. That's the point here (which I did a poor job of communicating in the OP).

If you try to go to a menu or FFWD, you get a message that tells you "Operation Currently Prohibited by Disc."

More here: Operation Currently Prohibited by Disc (http://www.micromux.com/2010/02/03/operation-currently-prohibited-by-disc/)

:P Yeah that's dumb that they have that built into dvd's nowadays. But what you expect for a dollar movie. I watch most my movies on Netflix though, much easier. Don't know if they have previews.

yermom
1/12/2011, 07:48 PM
they also reward you for buying them with ridiculous packaging as well

Ctina
1/14/2011, 12:49 AM
I just put Netflix on my phone and can watch any of the instant movies anywhere.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/14/2011, 08:43 AM
Finished up with work a bit early. Graphics guys were a week late getting their work to us, which meant yours truly had to work like a slave the last 48 hours to get the client's site ready for their meetings tomorrow.

So I decide to pop in Inception, since I'd grabbed the DVD the other nite from Redbox.

Do I get to the movie? NO! After 5 minutes of forced previews out of 13 total, I said "**** this," fired up Handbrake, and I'm just ripping the ****ing thing.

Idiots.

they don't call us Sooners for nothin.

Sooner_Bob
1/14/2011, 09:15 AM

I seem to recall being able to fast forward through them . . . using the skip to next chapter button. :confused:

Boomer.....
1/14/2011, 09:31 AM
Just hit Menu on the remote and it will take you to the start menu.

Veritas
1/14/2011, 10:32 AM
Just hit Menu on the remote and it will take you to the start menu.
No. It. Won't. :)

Mississippi Sooner
1/14/2011, 10:39 AM
I was in Shawnee a few weeks back and decided to watch the Fighter at their rinky dink movie theater. I kid you not, on the scheduled start time they showed about 15 minutes of commercials, and ten minutes of previews.

We were done with our popcorn before the movie started.

That makes me crazier than anything. The last time the wife and I went to see a movie they did that. Movie previews I don't mind so much, but the regular advertisements for everything from Chevy to AT&T are too much. I know they burned up at least 20 minutes with that crap before the movie ever started. I told my wife that if we ever go to the movies again, I'm not even going to bother going into the theater until they've had time to get through all the ads.

I just can't understand it. With what they charge for tickets, plus the outrageous prices at the concession stands, I find it hard to believe that they need that much ad revenue, too.

OUmillenium
1/14/2011, 10:45 AM
People, click on the link and read the details. Its different now.

Wishboned
1/14/2011, 10:45 AM

That aggravates the hell out of me. I've yelled at the television, "It's my damn DVD. I paid for it. It should do what I say!"

The television just rolled its eyes.

OUmillenium
1/14/2011, 10:48 AM
That makes me crazier than anything. The last time the wife and I went to see a movie they did that. Movie previews I don't mind so much, but the regular advertisements for everything from Chevy to AT&T are too much. I know they burned up at least 20 minutes with that crap before the movie ever started. I told my wife that if we ever go to the movies again, I'm not even going to bother going into the theater until they've had time to get through all the ads.

I just can't understand it. With what they charge for tickets, plus the outrageous prices at the concession stands, I find it hard to believe that they need that much ad revenue, too.

This was great back in my single days when I was always late for everything. Now that I am married (10 yrs) and borderline OCD, it does seem to be a waste of time sort of. I HATE COMMERCIALS, PARTICULARLY AT A MOVIE THEATRE. DVR saves me at home.

I actually enjoy 3-4 movie previews and consider that part of the movie going experience. Sometimes I have been more excited about the previews than the actual movie I saw.

yermom
1/14/2011, 10:55 AM
yeah, sometimes i'll forget what movie i'm watching after watching the previews :O

as for commercials, i'm kind of a theater snob and almost exclusively go to the Warren in Moore. no commercials.

C&CDean
1/14/2011, 07:12 PM

Idiots.

Dude, how many rows did you plow? How much hay did you cut? "Work like a slave??" What, you need some lotion on your fingertips? BWAAHAAAWAAHAHAHAAA!!! You geeks crack me up. Working like a slave. You're killing me here.

Penguin
1/15/2011, 06:00 PM
I usually stream via Netflix, iTunes, or Amazon VOD, but was at Walgreens and was like "what the hell."

Picking up your anti-fungal cream refill?

yermom
1/15/2011, 06:06 PM
Dude, how many rows did you plow? How much hay did you cut? "Work like a slave??" What, you need some lotion on your fingertips? BWAAHAAAWAAHAHAHAAA!!! You geeks crack me up. Working like a slave. You're killing me here.

talk to me when you know more about computers than just turning them on and spouting BS on here :D

soonerinkaty
1/15/2011, 06:14 PM
Working with computers is a different type of "working like a slave".

Jacie
1/16/2011, 01:05 PM
That's true. I think buying CDs is just a waste of time. You can find most of these songs for free in non pirate sites even.

non pirate site = oxymoron

person who believes there is such a thing = moron