PDA

View Full Version : Some guys have all the luck

cleller
1/12/2011, 11:35 AM
This guy was granted "unfettered access" to the Michigan football program for the last three years to write a book.

What luck, he might as well have been writing a book about the John Blake OU era.
Both interesting topics, but book sales bonanzas?

Fate is so fickle, they could have gone after Les instead of RichRod (he claims they never did, and we may know why from other threads here) and he might have had a bestseller.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704723104576062163140431804.html

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2011, 02:25 PM
The coaches have to ask their players to work almost as hard-not just on the field but in the weight room and the classroom. I followed Mr. Robinson for one day, which started at 7 a.m. with treatment for his swollen knee, followed by weightlifting, classes, an interview with ESPN Radio, more treatment, meetings, practice, a third round of treatment, dinner and study table. When he walked out of the academic center at 10 p.m., two adults who had been waiting all night for him in the parking lot approached him to sign a dozen glossy photos. I went home exhausted—and I hadn't done anything more than take notes.

Working out with strength coaches was far tougher. In six weeks, they doubled my bench press and tripled my squat, but after each workout I collapsed on my couch—not to nap but to whimper in the fetal position.

How those players got any school work done was a mystery—and thanks to Michigan's self-imposed penalties, the Wolverines actually worked fewer hours than the NCAA allowed. It's not against the rules—that's the real story there—it's just a very hard life

Yep. College football is fun to watch, but we need to keep the welfare of the student-athlete always in mind.

sperry
1/12/2011, 02:43 PM
Athletics should be a degree at universities. Degrees are granted for playing the violin, for dancing, and for singing, so I don't understand why one couldn't be granted for Physical Education- Football, or something like that. The players would still have to take classes in the University, but it would ease their academic burden, and give them class credit for doing something similar to what other students get degrees for.

47straight
1/12/2011, 03:33 PM
Athletics should be a degree at universities. Degrees are granted for playing the violin, for dancing, and for singing, so I don't understand why one couldn't be granted for Physical Education- Football, or something like that. The players would still have to take classes in the University, but it would ease their academic burden, and give them class credit for doing something similar to what other students get degrees for.

It's called kinesiology.

KantoSooner
1/12/2011, 04:56 PM
Call it

"Applied Physics 273: The Transfer of Kinetic Energy"

85sooners
1/12/2011, 05:39 PM
:eek: