PDA

View Full Version : USC Recruiting Class

Harry Beanbag
1/11/2011, 07:53 PM
Can somebody explain this to me? IIRC, they are losing 10 scholarships a year for the next 3 years. Is that new schollies per year or 10 out of the total of 85 per year?

Normally a school can give out 25 new ones per year as long as they don't exceed the 85 total for the team.

Their 2011 class shows 23 commits. Something that confuses me even more is that it shows 8 of them as already signed LOI's which I thought you couldn't do until the first week of February. There is no early signing period for football.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/commitments/2011/usc-62

Surely I've missed something. :confused:

Soonermagik
1/11/2011, 07:55 PM
I think they can give a lot of scholarships in one year. However, it just can't exceed X over so many years. I think that's how it works.

They are grabbing a lot of kids, because they are really low on players.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2011, 07:55 PM
It's that new math thing - Lane took a class on it.

Could they be betting on their appeal to get some schollies back?

SoonerOX
1/11/2011, 09:17 PM
It's that new math thing - Lane took a class on it.

Could they be betting on their appeal to get some schollies back?

Interesting thought. But wouldn't the NCAA take offense to USC assuming that their appeal would be successful? Well...it is the NCAA so maybe not. Interesting take nonetheless.

prrriiide
1/11/2011, 09:21 PM
Kiffy did spend a year in the SEC...maybe he's grayshirting a bunch?

yermom
1/11/2011, 09:23 PM
maybe there are a lot of "walk ons" :D

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 09:26 PM
The way I understand it is unless they get the NCAA to change their stance at appeal (Jan 22nd) they will only be able to sign 15 on signing day.

This would continue for the following two years, then they would be able to sign 25 again, but they will not be at full numbers for, up to, 6 years.

SoonerOX
1/11/2011, 09:40 PM
The way I understand it is unless they get the NCAA to change their stance at appeal (Jan 22nd) they will only be able to sign 15 on signing day.

This would continue for the following two years, then they would be able to sign 25 again, but they will not be at full numbers for, up to, 6 years.

I getcha, but those kids that "committed" to USC who find out they don't really have a scholly available due to the penalty are going to be really pissed!

Harry Beanbag
1/11/2011, 09:41 PM

That's the way I understand it, but it doesn't appear to be working that way....

And what about the 8 that have apparently already signed LOI's?

Soonerfan88
1/11/2011, 09:57 PM
I think there are 7-8 that are enrolling early and will technically count on last year's class. However, I'm sure if there is a cheatin' way to get around it, someone with both SEC and USC roots will find it.

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 10:04 PM
I think there are 7-8 that are enrolling early and will technically count on last year's class. However, I'm sure if there is a cheatin' way to get around it, someone with both SEC and USC roots will find it.

Didn't think about this possibility....could help them replace some of the transfers they had after the ruling.

Stealth
1/12/2011, 12:50 AM
Not absolutely positive, but I think the rule is that JUCOs that can enroll for the Spring Semester can sign LOIs, but HS kids can't until Nat. Signing Day.

I think what is happening is that (as stated) USC has leftover schollies from last year (must be 8 or so) that they are using for the Spring enrollees. Then they can grant up to 15 to count towards 2011, They can sign more as long as only 15 enroll in the fall. Any over the 15 would have to either end up not qualifying or agree to greyshirt (enroll in Spring 2012).

The 15 per signing period should be in force for this class and the next 3. In addition, they cannot have more than 75 total on scholarship at the beginning of fall classes.

jkjsooner
1/12/2011, 10:31 AM
I getcha, but those kids that "committed" to USC who find out they don't really have a scholly available due to the penalty are going to be really pissed!

I think this is just another case of oversigning. Some of the kids will in fact find out that there is no scholarship for them. We had a big thread about the SEC doing this a few days ago.

85sooners
1/12/2011, 05:57 PM
:eek:

NateHeupel
1/13/2011, 10:58 AM
Not absolutely positive, but I think the rule is that JUCOs that can enroll for the Spring Semester can sign LOIs, but HS kids can't until Nat. Signing Day.

This is just about right. However, HS players who graduate early and enroll in January or December don't have to sign an LOI, because they are locked in due to the acceptance of financial aid. And, like Juco's, they count towards the previous years total.

BoomerJack
1/13/2011, 11:16 AM
IMO, if it's a NCAA regulation, it's beyond explanation and comprehension. And it's intentionally written that way so that whatever programs are in violation may or may not be punished, depending on whether or not they are in the good graces of the NCAA poobahs.