PDA

View Full Version : So with the Iphone going to Verizon

macdaddybuff
1/11/2011, 05:43 PM
Anyone jumping ship to get one.
I am already on Verizon and like my droid better but competition is good for all.
They have some cool droids coming out as well with LTE. At&t might have the best android phone out here in a few months in the atrix. Anyways wanted to see you guys thoughts.

OUthunder
1/11/2011, 05:50 PM
No International coverage....fail.

I hate AT&T and might change despite the reason listed above.

sooner59
1/11/2011, 05:51 PM
I imagine there will be plenty of people jumping ship from AT&T. I will say, their coverage has gotten better, but they did away with the unlimited data plans and Verizon has announced that they will offer the unlimited data plan. I have it with AT&T because we got ours before they stopped offering it. But it will entice some. I don't know much about Verizon's coverage, they may be much better for all I know.

macdaddybuff
1/11/2011, 05:52 PM
No International coverage....fail.

I hate AT&T and might change despite the reason listed above.

Verizon has some good international world phones that are android. But it will be nice once the switch to lte is permanent between at&t and Verizon and you can take a phone with you cross network. Hope that happens someday.

Also for anyone thinking of switching look at the chart below and think about it.
Its a 20 month commitment so get the best phone avl.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bionic-thunderbolt-iphone1-600x340.png

jiminy
1/11/2011, 06:00 PM
I'll stick with Verizon and Droids unless the invasion of iphoners clogs up the network. Probably go with a Bionic when my contract is up.

macdaddybuff
1/11/2011, 06:02 PM
I'll stick with Verizon and Droids unless the invasion of iphoners clogs up the network. Probably go with a Bionic when my contract is up.
Thats what I plan to do. I have the x right now. May go with HTC just because moto has a locked bootloader. Really struggling which one I want Thunder or Bionic. Both have plus and minus.

yermom
1/11/2011, 06:14 PM
what would be nice is if carriers and phone models weren't tied together. this **** is getting old.

imagine if computers were like this

"well, i'd like to have an HP, but i don't want to switch from Cox"

or

"i'd love to get an Apple computer, but i don't want to switch to AT&T DSL"

2121Sooner
1/11/2011, 06:18 PM
I am rocking my original cell phone, and it works jusssssssssssssssssst fine.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Telephones/SouthWestern_Bell_Motorola_Brick_Cell_phone_web.jp g

macdaddybuff
1/11/2011, 06:32 PM
I am rocking my original cell phone, and it works jusssssssssssssssssst fine.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Telephones/SouthWestern_Bell_Motorola_Brick_Cell_phone_web.jp g

Sweet is that like 12 inch of awesomeness. Someone whips out there 4.3 screen yea but I got a 12 inch one....

sooner59
1/11/2011, 06:36 PM
Verizon has some good international world phones that are android. But it will be nice once the switch to lte is permanent between at&t and Verizon and you can take a phone with you cross network. Hope that happens someday.

Also for anyone thinking of switching look at the chart below and think about it.
Its a 20 month commitment so get the best phone avl.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bionic-thunderbolt-iphone1-600x340.png

I don't know where they got their info, but I have a iPhone 3GS and I have the Google App. And I have seen people use different skins. They are all fairly similar, just a matter of personal preference.

2121Sooner
1/11/2011, 06:40 PM
Sweet is that like 12 inch of awesomeness. ....

TWSS!!!

Sorry, couldnt resist.

macdaddybuff
1/11/2011, 06:42 PM
I don't know where they got their info, but I have a iPhone 3GS and I have the Google App. And I have seen people use different skins. They are all fairly similar, just a matter of personal preference.

Maybe so but on android its built in no need in installing an app. It gives you free voice turn by turn directions among many many other things. Google maps on android and google maps on iphone are not the same. You get many more features with the android version. The google app on android is built into the phone. Meaning it has a default button that pulls up voice commands for everything. Like call so and so, text john hey john whats up and you never typed a thing. Plus many many more features.

sooner59
1/11/2011, 07:39 PM
Like I said, just a matter of personal preference. It only took me like 20 seconds to find and download the google app. The map app on the iphone has gotten me out of a ton of binds. I think the fact that droid has hdmi capabilities is cool, but I honestly don't know when I would use it. But they are all freakin sweet phones considering what cell phones were like 10 years ago. Just image how sweet they will be in another 10 years. They will probably do stuff like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/R5NKOHbovDI/AAAAAAAAAzM/cQeLTK8iV1Y/s400/torchwood_star_wars_hologram2.jpg

Sooner5030
1/11/2011, 08:23 PM
Even though the wifey and I have continued to increase our earnings year over year the economy has caused us to become penny pinchers and now it’s a race to see how much we can save in a year.

Next up on January 17th (date my two year contract is up) we are dropping our Verizon service for T-Mobile Prepaid. Since the wifey and I travel overseas a lot we already have the unlocked quad band GSM phones that just sat unused in the states. We just paid like 6 bucks for a SIM card and activation kit for a US number.

Now I am getting the 1400 minutes per phone (x2) with 30 mb data for $30 a phone. That is compared to my 1400 minute family plan with Verizon that totaled about $115 a month. I am keeping my Verizon MIFI active until I research and find the best prepaid alternative.

Off topic but we have also cut our grocery bill by almost $500 a year just by changing our diet a little bit and also couponing.

SoonerStud615
1/11/2011, 09:33 PM
No talking on the phone & using data at the same time = EPIC FAIL.

yermom
1/11/2011, 09:38 PM
yeah, that sounds really dumb. especially if you are tethered...

GottaHavePride
1/11/2011, 09:39 PM
Like I said, just a matter of personal preference. It only took me like 20 seconds to find and download the google app. The map app on the iphone has gotten me out of a ton of binds. I think the fact that droid has hdmi capabilities is cool, but I honestly don't know when I would use it. But they are all freakin sweet phones considering what cell phones were like 10 years ago. Just image how sweet they will be in another 10 years. They will probably do stuff like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/R5NKOHbovDI/AAAAAAAAAzM/cQeLTK8iV1Y/s400/torchwood_star_wars_hologram2.jpg

DUDE! A Torchwood reference on SoonerFans? Awesome.

MR2-Sooner86
1/11/2011, 10:05 PM
I'm currently on AT&T but I'm thinking I'm going to go over to Sprint and get an EVO. I would have gone with Verizon but the data cap is a big turn off and I really want an EVO.

As for AT&T, I don't know about anybody else but their "coverage" map is a joke. There are many times I'm in areas including Tulsa and hit dead spots or get dropped calls but are surrounded by plenty of cell towers. As for their 3G...fastest in America my ***.

OUthunder
1/11/2011, 10:13 PM
AT&T blows. As soon as my contract is over, hello Verizon. AT&T doesn't know the meaning of customer service either.

sooner59
1/11/2011, 10:17 PM
My AT&T confuses me. I can get 3G in the middle of nowhere in southern Oklahoma, but every time I drive through Gainesville, TX...nothing.

GottaHavePride
1/12/2011, 12:49 AM
My girlfriend's fed up with AT&T too. I'm trying to convert her to the dark side. By which I mean Android.

macdaddybuff
1/12/2011, 09:32 AM
Gotta just tell her if she converts she will get all the free music she could ever want. Its called Tunee and its in the market for free. I currently have only downloaded about 455 songs.

Must have apps for Android users
Handcent
Tunee
Winamp is free
But poweramp is the best and is a few dollars
beautiful widgets.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs776.ash1/166619_1644957776954_1627188034_1502043_7952515_n. jpg

http://l18.sphotos.l3.fbcdn.net/hphotos-l3-snc4/hs1355.snc4/162769_1648855634398_1627188034_1512151_913967_n.j pg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs021.snc6/165122_1648855994407_1627188034_1512152_4959664_n. jpg

WichitaSooner
1/12/2011, 10:37 AM
My next phone is the Nexus S....

Full Android Gingerbread... Front and back cameras (5 MP on back camera)... beautiful screen... Oh, and it's unlocked out of the box.

http://www.google.com/nexus/#

It's only at Best Buy... and as soon as I can scam tmobile and best buy into giving it to me 15 months into a 24 month contract.... I'll be a happy man. lol

Sooner_Bob
1/12/2011, 10:56 AM
what would be nice is if carriers and phone models weren't tied together. this **** is getting old.

imagine if computers were like this

"well, i'd like to have an HP, but i don't want to switch from Cox"

or

"i'd love to get an Apple computer, but i don't want to switch to AT&T DSL"

Exactly. There are some cool phones out there . . .

Fraggle145
1/12/2011, 11:50 AM
AT&T blows. As soon as my contract is over, hello Verizon. AT&T doesn't know the meaning of customer service either.

One problem with Verizon is that coverage sucks when you are out in the sticks in OK. AT&T has a lot better coverage out in the sticks.

Sooner_Bob
1/12/2011, 12:22 PM
One problem with Verizon is that coverage sucks when you are out in the sticks in OK. AT&T has a lot better coverage out in the sticks.

Yep . . . that's what I've noticed too. My coverage last year (while on AT&T) while out hunting was way different this year (while on Verizon).

OUthunder
1/12/2011, 01:02 PM

Interesting that you say that. We had Verizon while we lived in Minnesota. We drove back in 2000 to visit family who live way out in the sticks in Kansas. We were able to make and receive calls but web stuff was impossible there as well as in OKC. Maybe verizon has expanded their coverage area since then though.

When I'm in the sticks, as long as the phone works, that's all I care about.

yermom
1/12/2011, 01:06 PM
My next phone is the Nexus S....

Full Android Gingerbread... Front and back cameras (5 MP on back camera)... beautiful screen... Oh, and it's unlocked out of the box.

http://www.google.com/nexus/#

It's only at Best Buy... and as soon as I can scam tmobile and best buy into giving it to me 15 months into a 24 month contract.... I'll be a happy man. lol

i'm thinking real hard about this one. i have to get one 3rd party though. i don't want to change my T-Mobile service

macdaddybuff
1/12/2011, 01:08 PM
Interesting that you say that. We had Verizon while we lived in Minnesota. We drove back in 2000 to visit family who live way out in the sticks in Kansas. We were able to make and receive calls but web stuff was impossible there as well as in OKC. Maybe verizon has expanded their coverage area since then though.

When I'm in the sticks, as long as the phone works, that's all I care about.

They have expanded quite a bit even in the last few months. OKC and Tusla I was getting great reception. But I live in Bartlesville and we just got 3g with Verizon in the last year. I used to drop service between bville and tulsa all the time but with in the last month they have fixed that problem Now I have 3g all the way which is mostly in the boonies. From Tulsa to OKC I get 3g the whole way on the turnpike.

sooner59
1/12/2011, 01:30 PM
I don't think I ever lose 3G anymore in OK. Most of my problems occur in TX. Then then again....having problems seems to be a theme this past year in TX. :D

C&CDean
1/12/2011, 01:41 PM
****ing geeks. I feel like I'm on a foreign language website.

I have a cell phone. I've never owned one, but I have one (company provided). It's a Blackberry Bold. The carrier is AT&T. I can get innerwebs on it, and I use it to tether to my company provided laptop (something else I've never owned - a computer).

Momma has Sprint. I get 4 bars at the Deanarosa, and she doesn't get ****. The only place I've lost coverage that I know of is when I'm underground on the Metro up here in DC. All you guys losing coverage on AT&T must go to some damned exotic places. I had coverage on a cruise ship from Boston to Bermuda (her Sprint did not).

Anyhow, when I retire in 18 months, 23 days, 3 hours, and 20 minutes I'll have to buy my first phone. When that time comes, I'll probably go AT&T unless I see something much better.

yermom
1/12/2011, 01:43 PM
AT&T is way too proud of their service though

i think some of that is the iPhone exclusivity, if that falls out of favor or gets more open, it could change

macdaddybuff
1/12/2011, 01:58 PM
i'm thinking real hard about this one. i have to get one 3rd party though. i don't want to change my T-Mobile service

Nexus s is really cool here is another great option as well.
http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobiles-samsung-vibrant-4g-leaked-does-over-21-mbps-hspa

WichitaSooner
1/12/2011, 01:59 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of stuck right now. I'm at a point where tmobile would give me almost a full upgrade price... but they don't sell the Nexus S. But, best buy won't give me the new contract upgrade price until August. But, I like the phone enough that I might actually go full price on it and that just pisses me off thinking about it.

****ing geeks. I feel like I'm on a foreign language website.

I have a cell phone. I've never owned one, but I have one (company provided). It's a Blackberry Bold. The carrier is AT&T. I can get innerwebs on it, and I use it to tether to my company provided laptop (something else I've never owned - a computer).

Momma has Sprint. I get 4 bars at the Deanarosa, and she doesn't get ****. The only place I've lost coverage that I know of is when I'm underground on the Metro up here in DC. All you guys losing coverage on AT&T must go to some damned exotic places. I had coverage on a cruise ship from Boston to Bermuda (her Sprint did not).

Anyhow, when I retire in 18 months, 23 days, 3 hours, and 20 minutes I'll have to buy my first phone. When that time comes, I'll probably go AT&T unless I see something much better.

You sound like a curmudgeon. When I read your post I imagine you look like this:

http://www.myhero.com/images/guest/g202650/hero47607/g202650_u53026_jeff_dunham_walter.jpg

soonerbrat
1/12/2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of stuck right now. I'm at a point where tmobile would give me almost a full upgrade price... but they don't sell the Nexus S. But, best buy won't give me the new contract upgrade price until August. But, I like the phone enough that I might actually go full price on it and that just pisses me off thinking about it.

You sound like a curmudgeon. When I read your post I imagine you look like this:

http://www.myhero.com/images/guest/g202650/hero47607/g202650_u53026_jeff_dunham_walter.jpg

that's pretty close.

C&CDean
1/12/2011, 02:01 PM
**** y'all. All y'all.

soonerbrat
1/12/2011, 02:01 PM
I dunno...I liked Sprint OK, and they are cheaper than AT&T, even with my company discount. I really like the droid, so I might switch back to Sprint when my contract is up.

yermom
1/12/2011, 02:08 PM

heh. it's not like that.

i'm grandfathered in on a plan. if i re-up and get a new phone from T-Mobile i have to buy a data plan and pay more for texts. i'm looking at $25-30 more a month, most likely, if not more (up from about $50).

i'm okay with my hacked iPhone for the most part

olevetonahill
1/12/2011, 02:13 PM
My AT&T confuses me. I can get 3G in the middle of nowhere in southern Oklahoma, but every time I drive through Gainesville, TX...nothing.

Thats cause Saxet succs
pay tention

WichitaSooner
1/12/2011, 02:15 PM
**** y'all. All y'all.

:D